• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Requested an upgrade

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I have a trip planned to Disneyworld, and requested an upgrade. Has anyone received an upgrade?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have a trip planned to Disneyworld, and requested an upgrade. Has anyone received an upgrade?
Who did you request an upgrade from DVC, RCI, someone else?

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
RCI upgrades do happen but not for DVC. It uses rci inventory and generally the inventory is available for a couple of hours before being checked for the upgrade. Since 2 BR DVC units aren't deposited into RCI there will be nothing available to upgrade you into. Even if one was (which hasn't happened in years) it would be grabbed before going through the upgrade queue. Same thing with requesting a different DVC than the one you have.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I've requested these, through RCI Platinum (?), on various occasions. I never received the upgrade ... but it didn't hurt to ask ... unless it might mess up with Disney's MDE where changing the hotel reservation might break the advance FP+ bookings.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
RCI upgrades do happen but not for DVC. It uses rci inventory and generally the inventory is available for a couple of hours before being checked for the upgrade. Since 2 BR DVC units aren't deposited into RCI there will be nothing available to upgrade you into. Even if one was (which hasn't happened in years) it would be grabbed before going through the upgrade queue. Same thing with requesting a different DVC than the one you have.
Although I suspect the end result would be the same, an upgrade in RCI could also be a 1BR at one of the other DVC resorts. I do generally put in for one when I have SSR booked, with the understanding that it’s a near-zero chance of hitting.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been precious few reports over the years of any upgrades either for members or exchangers. Usually when they occur it's when there was a problem such as a unit went out of service or the resort was overbooked. DVC has historically been hardline giving you exactly what was deposited and nothing else. I once offered to take a 1 BR at VB on an exchange as this was all I needed but they said they couldn't even if they wanted. The problem with requesting the upgrade is that it dilutes other requests. For SSR for example you will get the deposited unit either preferred or standard with no hope to move up to preferred if you have a standard. Now you might be able to make changes through RCI in some cases but not DVC.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I chatted with rci about the upgrade feature. I was only looking for a 1BR at another DVC. I was told it would not happen because the upgrade had to be for a larger unit and since DVC doesn’t deposit larger units, it won’t matter.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I chatted with rci about the upgrade feature. I was only looking for a 1BR at another DVC. I was told it would not happen because the upgrade had to be for a larger unit and since DVC doesn’t deposit larger units, it won’t matter.
That isn't true. At the resort you are confirmed into it has to be bigger. At another resort it has to be the same size or larger. The reason it likely won't match even for a different one that is deposited RCI only checks for upgrades once a day and it is usually after the new releases have been sitting in open available inventory for 10+ hours. Last minute DVC typically has a tpu of 11-14 and at that even last minute Animal Kingdom or Key West isn't going to just sit untaken for most of the day.

I have been upgraded from a 2 BR woodstone at Massanutten to a 2 BR at Regal Vistas. If you look at the "request upgrade" at your exchange it specifically mentions you could be upgraded to (one bedroom more than you currently have) so if you have a 2 BR it would say 3 BR. If you click on one of the alternative resorts it will specifically mentions minimal upgrade size (the same as you currently have) so for a 2 BR it would say 2 BR.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Normally, upgrades at DVC resorts were ultra rare. Lately, DVC has been giving a bunch of studio to 1-bedroom upgrades. But it depends on the resort and how busy the week is that you are traveling. Good Luck in you request!

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Maybe they're finding it easier to rent out "breakage" studio rooms so granting those upgrades is a win-win for both, Members and DVD.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Normally, upgrades at DVC resorts were ultra rare. Lately, DVC has been giving a bunch of studio to 1-bedroom upgrades. But it depends on the resort and how busy the week is that you are traveling. Good Luck in you request!
but studios aren't deposited in RCI either.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They stopped depositing studios.....Wow, I didn't know they changed. I have not checked or followed RCI deposits/exchanges for years.
My understanding is that studios and one bedrooms in DVC aren't that much different in size but the DVC point requirement for one bedroom units are quite a bit higher. One bedroom units at the resorts that are deposited are the last to book up for members and therefore least popular and that is what DVC deposits into RCI.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that studios and one bedrooms in DVC aren't that much different in size but the DVC point requirement for one bedroom units are quite a bit higher. One bedroom units at the resorts that are deposited are the last to book up for members and therefore least popular and that is what DVC deposits into RCI.

1-Bedrooms are twice the size and twice the points in the DVC system. Studio is really a hotel room with mini-fridge, microwave and coffee brewer.....tiny to most timeshares we stay.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
1-Bedrooms are twice the size and twice the points in the DVC system. Studio is really a hotel room with mini-fridge, microwave and coffee brewer.....tiny to most timeshares we stay.
They are also comparatively, the least popular in the system. I would suspect that DVC and RCI have a side agreement on this issue.