• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How are things in Palm Desert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have reservations for Shadow Ridge, and the 61-day cutoff for cancellation without penalty is coming up soon. We would really like to go (we have had both vaccine doses), but are wondering if most stores and restaurants are open, and what restrictions might be in place. I think at this point restaurants can be open for dine in only if they have outdoor seating, otherwise it's takeout or delivery only. But have most restaurants survived the virus restrictions, or have there been a lot of closures? I also believe most entertainment venues (like theaters) are closed, and groceries are open and operating more or less normally. As far as SR is concerned, I looked online and saw many amenities are closed, but the pools are open, which will give us something to do on-property.

Any status information about the area will be greatly appreciated!

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Come on down!
At Villas 2, everyone is wearing masks and following protocol. Eating at the Cliff House tonight and Pacifica on Thursday night. Everything seems to be open with distancing.

I do not know about movie theaters.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Come on down!
At Villas 2, everyone is wearing masks and following protocol. Eating at the Cliff House tonight and Pacifica on Thursday night. Everything seems to be open with distancing.

I do not know about movie theaters.
Are masks required when laying by the pool?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Are masks required when laying by the pool?
To my knowledge, MVC has a standard policy across the brand of mandatory indoor masking, highly-encouraged outdoor masking and mandatory when social distancing is not possible, not required when eating/drinking or seated somewhere where social distancing is in place. By and large I've seen pretty strong compliance from people at the three resorts I've been. There are also some restrictions on capacity of pools, hot tubs, and workout rooms at some resorts that are more locally-driven. Mandatory masking in workout rooms, even on cardio machines.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. You may only take them off while in the water. (Shadow Ridge)

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
People are wearing masks lying by the pool??? At resorts we have been to mask wearing indoors or croded areas but not at pool unless up and walkung around, not in the pool or at the beach which includes lying on the beach.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
At some other MVC resorts, the team agree that guests sitting around the pool if enough social distance are using their common sense about wearing face masks. Loungers have been spaced out to facilitate this.
52F5B4A9-5F26-4640-9C3B-DF87AAABF372.jpeg

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Most things are open but movie theaters are not — Riverside County is still in the state's purple tier, which prohibits theaters. However, by sometime in March they expect to move into the red tier where theaters can open (at limited capacity) so it's likely that by the time you are there, theaters will be open in some capacity.

Restaurants are open for outdoor dining and most have been innovative in setting stuff up outdoors. Again, if they move into the red tier, limited capacity indoor dining will become legal and is likely to happen.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep my reservation if I were you, you'll have a great time.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had reservations for December 2020, which we moved to April of 2021, which we were able to move, by switching with reservations we had elsewhere, to December 2021. We feel more comfortable with that. We’re in our 70s and our son who lives in LA strongly urged us to put our visit off.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
December was a hot mess of Covid in California, now not so much. We live 2 hours from Palm Desert and are looking forward to our last minute AC trip to DSV 1 on March 15 th.

Steve A your sons advice in December was sound.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
At Shadow Ridge we were sitting at the pool and a Marriott employee came by and said "masks need to be worn at all time unless you are in the water." So we complied, of course. It wasn't a big deal, but it was a different policy than what we had experienced at Newport Coast.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each MVC resort seems to be applying some flexibility to the rules on mask wearing at the pools, based on what they have done with for example lounger spacing, occupancy levels....and generally common sense with social distancing.
The corporate MVC policy though is

7B25B709-0157-4D77-B375-9C0F270D8130.jpeg

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input! We will probably go, and make the best of whatever the situation might be at the time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have read that when outdoors, you need to be prepared and mask up when within 6 ft of others. It makes no sense to just mask up when lounging around the pool when there is no one else other than family, within 6 ft.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have read that when outdoors, you need to be prepared and mask up when within 6 ft of others. It makes no sense to just mask up when lounging around the pool when there is no one else other than family, within 6 ft.
I totally agree. I also think it isn't necessary to wear a mask while walking outside when only occasionally encountering other people (sidewalk, boardwalk, etc). You can just turn your head the other direction when passing them within 6 ft.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I totally agree. I also think it isn't necessary to wear a mask while walking outside when only occasionally encountering other people (sidewalk, boardwalk, etc). You can just turn your head the other direction when passing them within 6 ft.
I think you need to familiarize yourself with the rules that are in effect and then follow them, rather than making up your own rules based on what you think is right.

The coronavirus is airborne and can linger in the air for long periods. Someone passing you on the sidewalk is potentially then walking through clouds of your exhaled air and potential virus. If people would just follow the rules we’d be out of the woods a lot sooner.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you need to familiarize yourself with the rules that are in effect and then follow them, rather than making up your own rules based on what you think is right.

The coronavirus is airborne and can linger in the air for long periods. Someone passing you on the sidewalk is potentially then walking through clouds of your exhaled air and potential virus. If people would just follow the rules we’d be out of the woods a lot sooner.
The rules in California have really worked! It has had some of the most strict rules but continues to have among the highest outbreaks. Many other states, including Ohio, have had more reasonable restrictions and have much lower incidence of outbreaks. Scientific studies (not politicians) have indicated that contracting the disease requires more concentrated or continuous exposure to the virus from coughs, sneezes or talking in close contact. That is highly unlikely outdoors unless someone is facing you in close contact.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
The rules in California have really worked! It has had some of the most strict rules but continues to have among the highest outbreaks. Many other states, including Ohio, have had more reasonable restrictions and have much lower incidence of outbreaks. Scientific studies (not politicians) have indicated that contracting the disease requires more concentrated or continuous exposure to the virus from coughs, sneezes or talking in close contact. That is highly unlikely outdoors unless someone is facing you in close contact.
Agree 100%. Even when California banned indoor dining there wasn’t any evidence that indoor dining was a factor in the spread of the virus. We’ve been traveling as much as we can in the past year. I ended up contracting the virus, not from any travel but when I was quarantined because my daughter tested positive. She works in LTC and likely got it at her work. After living with her for a week contained in the house it wasn’t a surprise I too tested positive. My husband too became sick but testing in short supply at the time so doctor said not to test. My niece who also lives with us was tested three weeks in a row for her job and never tested positive. We ate meals together and lived normally. So although the virus is contagious I don’t think walking past someone for 5 seconds is a great risk. Very mild case for which I am thankful. I think it was my second time as I had a strange virus early February which in looking back think it may well have been the covid virus.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in agreement that dining in a restaurant bears very little risk. We have been having meals at our clubhouse restaurant, electing to sit inside, for the past 6 months or longer. Some servers caught COVID from one another because they were sloppy with masking up when they were around each other. We never felt unsafe because we mask up when we are around others and take them off when servers or friends leave our table after saying hi to us. It is prolonged exposure to someone in close proximity that is risky. Hence I have yet to get on a plane ever since the first case of COVID was identified in the US.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani

This is my favorite COVID tracking website-California is actually doing better than Ohio at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We arrived at DSVII Friday. Retaurants have outdoor seating. Masks required, but we're used to that. This week replaces our canceled Dec. 25 week, so we're glad to be here!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Desert is a sunny escape vacation for many Northern and Midwestern residents. We typically go to FL or a desert location every March to enjoy the sun and outdoors. California destinations are eliminated this year for us due to their extreme masking policy. Who can enjoy sitting by the pool or hiking while constantly wearing a mask when there is scientific evidence that the heat, sun, and pool chemicals quickly eliminate it as a threat? We have been to AZ, FL, SC, and MT during COVID and none of them required masks outside while sitting by the pool, hiking or walking on the beach.

We lived in the SF Bay area for several years and frequently vacationed there and in wine country. However, we no longer feel safe due to changes in crime and drug enforcement policies and the filth in BART stations and on city streets. I feel sorry for the businesses in the state who have experienced significant losses due to extreme COVID policies and declines in personal safety.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Moderator Note: This thread has been reported for COVID content unrelated to the OP's questions, and is being closed because those questions have been answered. Please remember, there's a COVID-19 sub-forum in TUG's Lounge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.