• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just WOW: United Airlines Boeing 777 with 231 passengers makes emergency landing in Denver [MERGED]

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
United Airlines Boeing 777 with 231 passengers makes emergency landing in Denver after its engine exploded mid-flight and dropped enormous pieces of debris on Colorado homes
  • Police in Bloomfield, Colorado responded to residents who reported large objects falling from the sky
  • Local investigators arrived at different addresses to see huge metal objects strewn across front lawns
  • The broken pieces of aircraft came from United Airlines Flight 328 from Denver to Honolulu
  • Boeing 777-200, which was carrying 231 passengers and 10 crew, diverted back to Denver and landed safely
  • The plane's engine is believed to have set alight mid-flight; Plane landed 25 minutes after taking off

39557508-9282215-Flames_could_be_seen_coming_from_the_engine_of_the_plane-a-1_1613859800590.jpg

That goodness for the safe outcome!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wonder if it was a bird strike or compressor blade failure. (Same difference, really)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Wow, huge pieces of the plane ended up in people's yards. Amazing plane had a safe landing and that no one on the ground appears to have been hit.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Boy those passengers must have felt lucky to not be in a plane crash, then dissapointed they aren’t in Hawaii tonight. That could have happened mid flight over the ocean.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Later updates claimed the engine shredded at 15,000 ft. So it might have been a blade failure. It appears the shield around the engine held the shrapnel.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think about that scenario every danged time we get on a flight to Hawaii or Aruba. Scares the heck out of me and I spend a fair amount of time praying that we make it.

In 2012 we flew to Fiji - 15 hour flight. I slept off and on but the minute I woke up I just prayed God would keep us from crashing into the ocean.

I’m no a big fan of flying anyway. Something just so unnatural about flying at 32,000 feet, hurtling along in a tuna can - just don’t feel the love for it.

Boy those passengers must have felt lucky to not be in a plane crash, then dissapointed they aren’t in Hawaii tonight. That could have happened mid flight over the ocean.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am impressed the fire extinguishers put the fire out so fast. I wonder if they needed both extinguishers or just one. That was a major fire.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After one particularly bumpy flight, when we landed, the flight attendant requested that “the next time your plans call for hurtling through the sky in a pressurized metal tube, we hope you will choose [our airline].” It was great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, mechanical stuff breaks. But what saved this from catastrophe was the training and professionalism of the crew. That- and the fact that modern passenger jets can- and do- fly just fine on one engine, got everyone safely back on the ground. Watching the video of the landing, taken by a passenger showed a well deserved round of applause for the crew when the plane touched down safely. I hope they enjoy their slightly delayed vacation in Hawaii.

Jim

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg told MSNBC that he will work with the NTSB to investigate the engine failure to "understand any lessons learned in a way that will maximize the sense of safety every time we get on a plane."

I was unaware of his expertise in the area of Turbine Engine design and failure modes. Who knew:ponder:?

Cheers

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg told MSNBC that he will work with the NTSB to investigate the engine failure to "understand any lessons learned in a way that will maximize the sense of safety every time we get on a plane."

I was unaware of his expertise in the area of Turbine Engine design and failure modes. Who knew:ponder:?

Cheers
He should attend a bird strike/FOD test on an engine. They are spectacular, but the engine never survives.

That engine did what it was designed to do. It was powered up in a climb and vomited it guts safely out of the rear without bits of fast spinning machinery being thrown through the cabin.

If you notice the tan covering of the engine in the video, that's Kevlar or similar material to prevent that from happening.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
The plane had just reached 10,000 feet when it happened, Loock said, adding that he could sense the fear on the plane, but everyone was "very calm."
"A lot of people couldn't see the engine on that side, right, so I was a little more freaked out because I could see it, and I knew that was not right," he said.
When the plane landed safely, people cheered before exiting.
"We're having a cocktail," Loock said. "And, yeah, we're going to try it again. We're going to try it again. The odds are with us this time."

Welcome to the next Disney ride. Terror at 10,000 feet. :eek:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He should attend a bird strike/FOD test on an engine. They are spectacular, but the engine never survives.

That engine did what it was designed to do. It was powered up in a climb and vomited it guts safely out of the rear without bits of fast spinning machinery being thrown through the cabin.

If you notice the tan covering of the engine in the video, that's Kevlar or similar material to prevent that from happening.

I’ve been at bird and ice ingestion tests including using the “chicken gun” at Arnold Engineering Development Center at Arnold Air Force Station in Tennessee. Some were spectacular, some were non events and the engine just chewed up the bird(s) without a hiccup. It remains TBD if this was an ingestion or internal failure of the engine or nacelle. My bet is it wasn’t an ingestion event unless it was a major part of the inlet coming loose.

The major disintegration of the nacelle with the fan seemly intact is odd. I’ll wait until the NTSB Preliminary Report is issued.

Cheers

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like it might be a fan blade failure.
Based on the altitude, that is my SWAG.

We (and the passengers & crew) are fortunate that they have the engine in place to inspect and not in pieces smashed into the ground.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Japan have also grounded all their Boeing 777s aircraft, after this crash for inspection.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The debris landed about six miles from our house. We happen to be on Maui. Rare accident, but I wonder how many people are thinking of cancelling trips after this.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
The debris landed about six miles from our house. We happen to be on Maui. Rare accident, but I wonder how many people are thinking of cancelling trips after this.

We have flights booked for Maui on United although not on a 777. What bothers me the most is that airlines probably use their best planes for those Hawaii routes. If this happens to the best planes, what other fatigue issues are lurking out there on other older planes?
Haven’t canceled yet but...

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We have flights booked for Maui on United although not on a 777. What bothers me the most is that airlines probably use their best planes for those Hawaii routes. If this happens to the best planes, what other fatigue issues are lurking out there on other older planes?
Haven’t canceled yet but...

What leads you to this assertion?
[ETA:] Articles indicate that this version of the 777 (with P&W engines) is one of the oldest. Ironically, the passengers were placed on another 777 that had a similar engine failure in 2018 on decent to HNL.

Last edited:

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
What leads you to this assertion?
[ETA:] Articles indicate that this version of the 777 (with P&W engines) is one of the oldest. Ironically, the passengers were placed on another 777 that had a similar engine failure in 2018 on decent to HNL.

I assumed that airlines would use the same logic as we would when driving cross country. We take the newer Toyota rather than our 2005 Buick- which is in good condition but more likely to have an issue. Silly me.
I did see a line in an article from Loyalty Lobby that I liked referring to the replacement plane United used- “Again one of the oldest planes in UA’s fleet. One has to admire the guts of United’s flight planners.”