• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New malware found on 30,000 Macs has security pros stumped

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
New malware found on 30,000 Macs has security pros stumped
With no payload, analysts are struggling to learn what this mature malware does.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have a new M1 Mac, so this came as a surprise. I was already following the recommended scanning software, and it didn't find anything. So it could mean (operative word "could") I'm okay - for now. Not a comforting feeling. but I'll take it, for now.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Just took my new MacBook Pro out of the box and plugged it in to charge. Haven't even opened it and now I'm afraid to!!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just took my new MacBook Pro out of the box and plugged it in to charge. Haven't even opened it and now I'm afraid to!!!

You'll be fine. After your computer is all set up, go to Malwarebytes.com and get their scanning software. You can try the free version, and upgrade later if you want. It works great.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You'll be fine. After your computer is all set up, go to Malwarebytes.com and get their scanning software. You can try the free version, and upgrade later if you want. It works great.

Should I install and run Malwarebytes on my current MacBook Air before transferring to the new?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It wouldn’t hurt. It’s free.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It wouldn’t hurt. It’s free.

Dave

Done. Said no issues. Is it worth subscribing to Malwarebytes? I've never had such on a Mac laptop before. But times may be changing. Thanks so much!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Done. Said no issues. Is it worth subscribing to Malwarebytes? I've never had such on a Mac laptop before. But times may be changing.

I've never felt the need to pay for it, as long as you tell it to update its virus checking definitions regularly. (Go to the Settings gear icon, and check the box that says to automatically update.) I have the icon on my desktop, and let it run regularly.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've never felt the need to pay for it, as long as you tell it to update its virus checking definitions regularly. (Go to the Settings gear icon, and check the box that says to automatically update.) I have the icon on my desktop, and let it run regularly.

Dave
Thanks. I have never had to set up a new device outside of the Apple Store without their help. During COVID the store is not doing that. I did a back up on Old Mac Book Air and checked that it had no software updates needed. Turned on new MacBook Pro, followed prompts, chose country and language and WiFi setup, followed another prompt to then update and install new software, chose Migration Assistant, went with the boxes pre/ checked, and now, 6 hours later, it’s still transferring and has said “ 28 minutes remaining at 8 MB/s” for the last 2 1/2 hours. I don’t mind the wait so much as I’m worried that I have done something wrong and have ruined my new computer! ARGH!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You’re good. It takes a long time, and will say the same time remaining for a long time. Then it’ll suddenly be done.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You’re good. It takes a long time, and will say the same time remaining for a long time. Then it’ll suddenly be done.

Dave
Thanks! Hope so. Now jumping all over the place from 3 hrs plus to 7 minutes with MBs from 5 to 42.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I have a new M1 Mac, so this came as a surprise. I was already following the recommended scanning software, and it didn't find anything. So it could mean (operative word "could") I'm okay - for now. Not a comforting feeling. but I'll take it, for now.

Dave

Just do not hook it up to the Internet. It will probably download with an autoexecute.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this malware found on older Macs computers?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is this malware found on older Macs computers?

I believe it only affects the new M1 chip Macs. Apple has now denied the security certificate for the company that is sending out this malware. When it tries to install itself on your machine, you'll get a warning about the software being unauthorized. Keep an eye out for it, and don't let it get onto your machine.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe it only affects the new M1 chip Macs. Apple has now denied the security certificate for the company that is sending out this malware. When it tries to install itself on your machine, you'll get a warning about the software being unauthorized. Keep an eye out for it, and don't let it get onto your machine.

Dave
Thank you.