• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DSVI Inheritance Questions

Reaction score
Hi,
My father recently passed away and left me in his will (not via a trust) his week at Marriott Desert Springs Villas I. It's a 2BR, 2BA week, with what I think is called a lockout option (meaning there's a studio I can split off and get 2 weeks (one in each parts of the property) for a fee). This week has not been converted to points, so it's only good at that location unless I want to enroll in Interval or Marriott Destinations Club. The date restrictions are Jan-May & the first three weeks of December. I am trying to determine whether I want to accept this or not. I don't travel much given my work schedule and when I do, I don't have much advance notice. I can't imagine going to Palm Desert every year. I'm married without children so I don't need a lot of space. The annual fees are high, but if I can take advantage of the week it seems like a good deal. Given that it's only for that property and you need to book far in advance, I am doubtful I'll be able take advantage every year and it seems like there are a lot of extra costs to make the week more flexible (plus a hassle). If I knew it'd be easy to sell this after I get it, then I'd accept it, see if it works for me, and if not then I'd exit. But it sounds like these are nearly impossible to sell. Is that right? I don't understand how Interval and Marriott Destinations Club work exactly yet (I've only seen sales materials, so I'm skeptical), but I see that Interval doesn't have a ton of properties in its portfolio and I'm assuming there are a lot of fees. Right now I feel like this timeshare is too much hassle to be worth it for me and that I wouldn't be able to get out of it if I want to. But I don't know if I'm thinking about this incorrectly. I've read other threads about inheriting timeshares, but the facts are a little different in each. Does anyone have some advice either about how I should make this decision or whether I am thinking about this the wrong way? Thanks in advance for your help.
Edited To Add: the week was purchased in the 90s.

Last edited:

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know when did your dad buy this week. If it was before June 2010, you can enroll it for free and I would certainly keep it.

You can switch it every year to points and rent the points until you can go on vacation.

You can always call Marriott and give it back or sell it back to them for some money. Marriott sold my DSV I Red week for $12,600 and charged 40% commission about 2 years ago.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The season you describe makes it a Red week at Palm Desert. (Known as Platinum or High season at some other resorts) so it would not be impossible to get rid of, if you try it and don't like it. I would guess you could sell it for maybe ~$2500.

IF you don't want to go to Palm Desert regularly you would have to join Interval and play the exchange game, some enjoy this, some don't. The lock-off option ($90 fee) is nice because then you can make two separate trades and get two weeks of vacation for only one annual maintenance fee cost. (Plus the exchange fees of course)

To me the biggest reason you may not be a fit for a timeshare is not being able to plan ahead. Time sharing works best when you can book in advance, waiting for last minute availability usually leads to disappointment.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This looks like a platinum week at DSV 1. It is a good week if you want to own.

It’s not worth a lot but it does have value of a few thousand dollars.

I think you answered your own question. It may be too much of a hassle for you to own.

Did your father or the estate pay the 2021 maintenance fees? If you are required to pay the fees are approximately $1800. Same question regarding property taxes of approximately $100 which are billed separately.

Is the risk of inheritance and being unable to sell quickly worth the reward of a few thousand dollars? This may not be difficult to sell on your own but it’s not easy either. It’s like selling a car on your own instead of trading it in.

Of course depending on when your father purchased and from whom you may be able to enroll the week and get points. Of course that will cost you enrollment fees.

If you’re not interested in time sharing you should decline this inheritance. If you are read further on TUG. There’s a lot of good information here.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Much to consider!
But you are wrong that interval doesn’t have a ton of properties- they do! I wonder why you think not?
Membership in II is $99 a year, exchange fee is $209 per week (some discount I believe to exchange into another Marriott property), if you exchange into a larger unit there is a fee for that ( for just a couple a studio or 1 br would be plenty) if you buy eplus to allow you to retrade 3xs there is a fee for that (59).
If you like to stay in a roomy, homey type environment and be able to cook meals yourself a timeshare is a great option.
I would also think you could rent your unit on redweek with it being high season.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Much to consider!
But you are wrong that interval doesn’t have a ton of properties- they do! I wonder why you think not?
Membership in II is $99 a year, exchange fee is $209 per week (some discount I believe to exchange into another Marriott property), if you exchange into a larger unit there is a fee for that, if you buy eplus to allow you to retrade there is a fee for that.

Marriott to Marriott is $159 exchange fee.

Reaction score
Do you know when did your dad buy this week. If it was before June 2010, you can enroll it for free and I would certainly keep it.

You can switch it every year to points and rent the points until you can go on vacation.

You can always call Marriott and give it back or sell it back to them for some money. Marriott sold my DSV I Red week for $12,600 and charged 40% commission about 2 years ago.
Thank you! It was purchased in the 90s. I had not heard that I can enroll for free. Enroll in the MDC? Does that switch your week to points forever? Or just that year? I've been reading in other threads that it's better to keep your TS a week than permanently convert to points.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! It was purchased in the 90s. I had not heard that I can enroll for free. Enroll in the MDC? Does that switch your week to points forever? Or just that year? I've been reading in other threads that it's better to keep your TS a week than permanently convert to points.
Enrolling the destination club gives you the option each year to elect points or use your legacy week as always (stay your ownership or deposit in II).
There are DC club dues, but they include membership in II, free Marriott to Marriott exchanges (includes MVC, Sheraton & Westin), no lock off fees).
I enrolled my week for the fee savings- rarely elect points.

jstoeber

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Surf Club, Ko Olina, Ocean Pointe
Enrolling your week allows you to either convert to points or use as a week (or lock off) - you will have that option every year, not a permanent choice.

Reaction score
This looks like a platinum week at DSV 1. It is a good week if you want to own.

It’s not worth a lot but it does have value of a few thousand dollars.

I think you answered your own question. It may be too much of a hassle for you to own.

Did your father or the estate pay the 2021 maintenance fees? If you are required to pay the fees are approximately $1800. Same question regarding property taxes of approximately $100 which are billed separately.

Is the risk of inheritance and being unable to sell quickly worth the reward of a few thousand dollars? This may not be difficult to sell on your own but it’s not easy either. It’s like selling a car on your own instead of trading it in.

Of course depending on when your father purchased and from whom you may be able to enroll the week and get points. Of course that will cost you enrollment fees.

If you’re not interested in time sharing you should decline this inheritance. If you are read further on TUG. There’s a lot of good information here.
Thank you! Yes, I believe the estate paid the 2021 fees. Given the timing, I wouldn't be able to use it this year (since everything is already booked and I have no idea when it would be transferred to me). If it's really only worth a few thousand dollars and the annual cost is about 2K . . . and I'm not a year's in advance kind of traveler . . . then I think my gut is probably right. I have a lot to learn, though, so I want to be sure I have a good picture before I decide. I really appreciate the insights everyone is sharing here.

Reaction score
Much to consider!
Membership in II is $99 a year, exchange fee is $209 per week (some discount I believe to exchange into another Marriott property), if you exchange into a larger unit there is a fee for that ( for just a couple a studio or 1 br would be plenty) if you buy eplus to allow you to retrade 3xs there is a fee for that (59).
If you like to stay in a roomy, homey type environment and be able to cook meals yourself a timeshare is a great option.
I would also think you could rent your unit on redweek with it being high season.
Thanks! Maybe I'm judging too harshly. I looked at the properties for London . . . and saw there are 6. And Japan has 3. I should explore more locations, though. Maybe for places like those it's better to find something outside the TS.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Maybe I'm judging too harshly. I looked at the properties for London . . . and saw there are 6. And Japan has 3. I should explore more locations, though. Maybe for places like those it's better to find something outside the TS.
Yes, TS are less available/ useful in cities in my opinion. But when I travel to those I’m not looking stay at the resort and cook dinner- I’m out touring and dining.

Another thing to consider as you are deciding is the ability to rent points or reservations booked with points or your ownership week. You’ll find a lot of posts on these boards.
II membership also offers the ability to,purchase low cost getaways.

You say you won’t be able to use it this year since ”everything is booked” but the maintenance fees are paid this year. Have you called Marriott to confirm the season is fully booked? If a week is available you could consider renting it if you are someone you know doesn’t want the stay.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
London and Japan are not going to have many timeshare locations. The majority of timeshares are located in the US, but there are international locations as well. For Marriott specifically international locations in St. Kitts, Aruba, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia, Spain, France, & Costa Rica currently. The Vistana resorts (now part of the Marriott umbrella as well) you add the Bahamas, & Mexico.

With a pre-2010 bought week that can be converted to points without an additional purchase I would definitely keep it personally. The points give you a lot greater flexibility in booking and not requiring a full week stay. If you want high demand resorts and times you still need to plan ahead, but a little less rigid.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My father recently passed away and left me in his will (not via a trust) his week at Marriott Desert Springs Villas I. It's a 2BR, 2BA week, with what I think is called a lockout option (meaning there's a studio I can split off and get 2 weeks (one in each parts of the property) for a fee). This week has not been converted to points, so it's only good at that location unless I want to enroll in Interval or Marriott Destinations Club. The date restrictions are Jan-May & the first three weeks of December. I am trying to determine whether I want to accept this or not. I don't travel much given my work schedule and when I do, I don't have much advance notice. I can't imagine going to Palm Desert every year. I'm married without children so I don't need a lot of space. The annual fees are high, but if I can take advantage of the week it seems like a good deal. Given that it's only for that property and you need to book far in advance, I am doubtful I'll be able take advantage every year and it seems like there are a lot of extra costs to make the week more flexible (plus a hassle). If I knew it'd be easy to sell this after I get it, then I'd accept it, see if it works for me, and if not then I'd exit. But it sounds like these are nearly impossible to sell. Is that right? I don't understand how Interval and Marriott Destinations Club work exactly yet (I've only seen sales materials, so I'm skeptical), but I see that Interval doesn't have a ton of properties in its portfolio and I'm assuming there are a lot of fees. Right now I feel like this timeshare is too much hassle to be worth it for me and that I wouldn't be able to get out of it if I want to. But I don't know if I'm thinking about this incorrectly. I've read other threads about inheriting timeshares, but the facts are a little different in each. Does anyone have some advice either about how I should make this decision or whether I am thinking about this the wrong way? Thanks in advance for your help.
Edited To Add: the week was purchased in the 90s.
If you want to learn about and participate with timesharing, it's a good week to do so with. But I will come with a learning curve and there are yearly fees to consider. Good luck, we're all happy to help where we can.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I don't think it's a good fit for you, given what you described. DC points are still a very expensive way to book nights. In many cases, booking directly with Marriott can be cheaper. You should think about where you want to go, and look at the points charts for the specific time and calculate the costs vs. renting.

Reaction score
I don't think it's a good fit for you, given what you described. DC points are still a very expensive way to book nights. In many cases, booking directly with Marriott can be cheaper. You should think about where you want to go, and look at the points charts for the specific time and calculate the costs vs. renting.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
I don't think it will be hard to sell. I personally would take the week off your hands if you want to sell it for a cheap price. I would love to be in your position. I own 5 legacy weeks and none of them are enrolled. If Marriott gave me a cheap way to enroll my week, I would definitely do it to give me the flexibility of points. Learning the system takes time. It sounds like you already have a pretty good understanding. Once you know how the system works, it can be a lot of fun. If you do not take the time to understand the system you will feel as though you are wasting your money and not getting a decent return on your money.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't travel much given my work schedule and when I do, I don't have much advance notice. I can't imagine going to Palm Desert every year. I'm married without children so I don't need a lot of space. The annual fees are high
Given that it's only for that property and you need to book far in advance, I am doubtful I'll be able take advantage every year and it seems like there are a lot of extra costs to make the week more flexible (plus a hassle).
Right now I feel like this timeshare is too much hassle to be worth it for me and that I wouldn't be able to get out of it if I want to
I can't think of any reason why you should accept this. Sounds like it would be nothing but a time and financial waste for you.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Timesharing isn't for everyone. Sometimes timesharing enthusiasts (of which there are many here) have difficulty with that. But OP makes a proper argument -- being young, single, childless, and short on vacation time -- why the unit won't work for him/her.

The unit is worth a couple / a few thousand dollars. My advice is to sell it and use the proceeds (and the future maintenance fees s/he won't have to pay) to take the kind of more impromptu vacations that work better with OP's current lifestyle. (Note: this is a prime timeshare and will be relatively easy to sell.)

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would accept it and try it personally. You may like it more than you think. But if you are not open to trying it, I would still accept it, and then sell it. Its a prime week at a Marriott resort. You can fetch a few thousand dollars from it, and it will not be difficult to sell.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would accept it and try it personally. You may like it more than you think. But if you are not open to trying it, I would still accept it, and then sell it. Its a prime week at a Marriott resort. You can fetch a few thousand dollars from it, and it will not be difficult to sell.
I would also if it's eligible for enrollment, not otherwise.

Reaction score
I would also if it's eligible for enrollment, not otherwise.
Thank you. How do I know if it's eligible for enrollment? Also, I just learned today that there's no right of first refusal on this contract. I don't know if that makes a difference re its value.

Reaction score
I don't think it will be hard to sell. I personally would take the week off your hands if you want to sell it for a cheap price. I would love to be in your position. I own 5 legacy weeks and none of them are enrolled. If Marriott gave me a cheap way to enroll my week, I would definitely do it to give me the flexibility of points. Learning the system takes time. It sounds like you already have a pretty good understanding. Once you know how the system works, it can be a lot of fun. If you do not take the time to understand the system you will feel as though you are wasting your money and not getting a decent return on your money.
If you're serious let's talk! :) There's no right of first refusal, so it sounds like this could happen relatively quickly. Thank you for responding.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free