• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVCI California properties

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a couple of reservations coming up in March to early April at San Diego and Desert Springs. At this point my understanding is both will require a form saying you are not traveling for pleasure - you are first responder. That could change in the next two months but not looking good. Trying to decide if and when to pull the plug. It appears as though the Covid cancellation policies are no longer in effect? So even at these properties that are closed for all practical purposes, is the regular cancellation policy in effect? As a week owner you would lose your week unless Interval will take it last minute and for points a holding account with no extension of booking window or use year? I notice New York and San Francisco are closed - why are the other properties that won’t let guests stay for pleasure still even open? I doubt they have many other guests and probably an expense to keep the whole property open?

TravelAmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a couple of reservations coming up in March to early April at San Diego and Desert Springs. At this point my understanding is both will require a form saying you are not traveling for pleasure - you are first responder. That could change in the next two months but not looking good. Trying to decide if and when to pull the plug. It appears as though the Covid cancellation policies are no longer in effect? So even at these properties that are closed for all practical purposes, is the regular cancellation policy in effect? As a week owner you would lose your week unless Interval will take it last minute and for points a holding account with no extension of booking window or use year? I notice New York and San Francisco are closed - why are the other properties that won’t let guests stay for pleasure still even open? I doubt they have many other guests and probably an expense to keep the whole property open?

The properties are open for several reasons the most important of which is to house first responders, nurses, and other healthcare personnel who have been brought in to staff overwhelmed hospitals and other medical facilities. We're talking thousands of personnel in these categories as southern California has been inundated with patients. Gratefully, hotel systems Marriott, Hilton, and IHG have provided housing for healthcare personnel and those who need a safe place to quarantine during this pandemic.

San Francisco, and the majority of northern California, has not needed to import as many outside (outside CA) healthcare personnel, at this point. Having said that, there are not excess personnel to send to southern California.

I suggest "pulling the plug" and use the energy dealing with the airlines. Not enough info on other travel possibilities, your personal timeline, or Marriott cancellation updates to help with an opinion on "to Interval or not to Interval". Hope something positive works out for you...

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The properties are open for several reasons the most important of which is to house first responders, nurses, and other healthcare personnel who have been brought in to staff overwhelmed hospitals and other medical facilities. We're talking thousands of personnel in these categories as southern California has been inundated with patients. Gratefully, hotel systems Marriott, Hilton, and IHG have provided housing for healthcare personnel and those who need a safe place to quarantine during this pandemic.

San Francisco, and the majority of northern California, has not needed to import as many outside (outside CA) healthcare personnel, at this point. Having said that, there are not excess personnel to send to southern California.

I suggest "pulling the plug" and use the energy dealing with the airlines. Not enough info on other travel possibilities, your personal timeline, or Marriott cancellation updates to help with an opinion on "to Interval or not to Interval". Hope something positive works out for you...
Good to know MVCI is helping out with that. I thought it was mainly the hotel chains since most of the MVCI inventory is initially spoken for. Last time we stayed at Marriott Property during pandemic in hard hit area there were just 6 guests spread out among the buildings and only a few employees - so question came to mind why they had whole property open (cause shutting down at least some of buildings should have saved money for their owners many of whom couldn’t travel or rent and some of whom undoubtedly are out jobs). And none of us were first responders (at that time no requirement to be). I will follow up with MVCI on how they are handling owners whose reservations are essentially cancelled due to the California shut down. If we can’t Bank any of the time Interval will likely be the only option since no way we can use two years of points by the end of this year - if it is even safe (and still work). Use it or lose it with a timeshare.

alchook

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cancelled a reservation in December for Shadow Ridge and rebooked the end of March. I'll probably cancel that one as well before the 60 day window.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cancelled a reservation in December for Shadow Ridge and rebooked the end of March. I'll probably cancel that one as well before the 60 day window.
Our one reservation last year at Desert Springs was cancelled by resort as it was not accepting guests. We cancelled San Diego as it was basically shut down as well. We moved them to this spring. Same thing as you - we are wondering if we should cancel outside of 60 days. My understanding is Covid extensions are gone so we would be held to typical holding window and expiration of points otherwise. Of course my points have been banked once and will expire this summer so unless I can get a stay in and use some as resort credit or to buy insurance I will lose anyway. I have never tried depositing points with Interval? My week is in Phoenix but cancellation is stricter with the week - no options within 60 days unless Interval will take. I do think in areas like CA where resort won’t accept guests so owners can’t make their own decisions, that MVCI should work with guests on the 60 day window - as they are just playing a waiting game hoping things will get better and regulations will be relaxed. I am guessing there are guests, especially those not having to travel far, signing those CA forms because they feel they will lose their use otherwise.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
At this point my understanding is both will require a form saying you are not traveling for pleasure - you are first responder. That could change in the next two months but not looking good. Trying to decide if and when to pull the plug. It appears as though the Covid cancellation policies are no longer in effect? So even at these properties that are closed for all practical purposes, is the regular cancellation policy in effect?

HCARMAN
Can you point me to where it says this. I am not doubting it I just dont see it. The DSV 1 website say they are compiling with government guidance with a link. The website talks about all the rules regarding covid at the resort now. I read the link on California and I dont see where it says you can't travel within those areas that are purple. If that was the case why would the resorts be open to house just first responders. There are plenty of hotels in that area to hold them. I would expect the website to say its closed rather than allow reservations. The Marriott website also allows reservations to those resorts now. I suppose best to call the resort to get status. Can you point me to what you were reading...thanks

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
HCARMAN
Can you point me to where it says this. I am not doubting it I just dont see it. The DSV 1 website say they are compiling with government guidance with a link. The website talks about all the rules regarding covid at the resort now. I read the link on California and I dont see where it says you can't travel within those areas that are purple. If that was the case why would the resorts be open to house just first responders. There are plenty of hotels in that area to hold them. I would expect the website to say its closed rather than allow reservations. The Marriott website also allows reservations to those resorts now. I suppose best to call the resort to get status. Can you point me to what you were reading...thanks
We are talking about the Regional Stay at home order not the safer (color coded) order. Sorry it's very convoluted and confusing, but that's how the governor has implemented this.

That being said, you are correct that the regional order does not say hotels can only serve essential workers. The only thing the regional order says about lodging is:

2h. Nothing in this Order prevents any number of persons from the same
household from leaving their residence, lodging, or temporary
accommodation, as long as they do not engage in any interaction with (or
otherwise gather with) any number of persons from any other household,
except as specifically permitted herein.

3. Except as otherwise required by law, no hotel or lodging entity in California shall
accept or honor out of state reservations for non-essential travel, unless the
reservation is for at least the minimum time period required for quarantine and
the persons identified in the reservation will quarantine in the hotel or lodging
entity until after that time period has expired.

There is currently no out of state quarantine order, only a recommendation. Despite the order saying nothing about in-state reservations, the state created this FAQ, that claims the order says only essential workers can stay in lodging, and most hotels/timeshares are following this FAQ and not the actual order:

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Shadow Ridge late last week. What I was told that as a California resident I could check in once I filled out an affidavit saying that I was an essential worker. (that would be a lie for me) The person did say that they would not make me verify this. I asked if if there was a difference if I was from out of state and he said yes. If out of state residents, you can only check in for ten days or more, fill in the affidavit and then also agree to quarantine for the first ten days. These government mandates are very fluid as CA is in dire straits right now. My suggest is call your resort and follow your conscience and know your dates for retrading (if with Interval) or canceling if with points.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
I called Newport Coast Villas [NCV] yesterday about an upcoming stay [FEB-12-2021] and they informed me that they were not accepting any Leisure-Reservations.
They are currently only accepting Essential-Workers and could not help me.
No mention of signing any forms.

Simply asked me to contact MVCI or Interval.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a recent Timber Lodge checkin date and I was allowed to eplus it more than 60 days even though I was in Flexchange. Going to the Desert in the fall.

Next up I have a Hyatt Northstar check in in early February. I have to call Hyatt tomorrow. If I cancel tomorrow I get LCUP points that expire this Friday. I’m hoping for an extension of the LCUP time. This was my first Hyatt reservation that I did one year in advance. The problem is if you have to cancel your points are expired or close to it.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a recent Timber Lodge checkin date and I was allowed to eplus it more than 60 days even though I was in Flexchange. Going to the Desert in the fall.

Next up I have a Hyatt Northstar check in in early February. I have to call Hyatt tomorrow. If I cancel tomorrow I get LCUP points that expire this Friday. I’m hoping for an extension of the LCUP time. This was my first Hyatt reservation that I did one year in advance. The problem is if you have to cancel your points are expired or close to it.
Yes, that is my concern. With the latest California regulations, owners are given no choice so they should be allowing some point extensions again like last year. Also, as mentioned above, many properties aren’t giving any specifics on the situation so it seems they should be a bit more proactive in notifying of the possibility with time for owners to make the decision - especially with the 60 day windows.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Enjoyed reading all the replies....and only shows you need to call the resort....I have an early April reservation at DSV 1 and now wondering what the status will be...Planned on brining a houseful of grandkids during their Spring Break....maynot happen again this year.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
For those 65 and over in Orange Co. effective today (or yesterday) we can now get the covid vaccine. You have to contact your DR for a RX and instructions where to go.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, as mentioned above, many properties aren’t giving any specifics on the situation so it seems they should be a bit more proactive in notifying of the possibility with time for owners to make the decision - especially with the 60 day windows.

That is exactly the problem...the specifics and the time to make the decision. I have friends that were to fly in from New England and Texas. I had to tell them to cancel due to the logistics. Now I may lose 1180 points. Hyatt is sticking to the "if you cancel your points will be LCUP" no exceptions. And my LCUP points expire at the end of this week.

Of course there is the no snow problem in Tahoe too....

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
For those 65 and over in Orange Co. effective today (or yesterday) we can now get the covid vaccine. You have to contact your DR for a RX and instructions where to go.
Thanks for this info. I live in San Diego County and suspect that we will be treated the same. It is surprising that the news hasn't been spread more widely (at least "yet"). Thank you for posting.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed reading all the replies....and only shows you need to call the resort....I have an early April reservation at DSV 1 and now wondering what the status will be...Planned on brining a houseful of grandkids during their Spring Break....maynot happen again this year.
That is where ours is too. Had it cancelled by resort last year so we shall see.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Canceled our FEB-12-2021 NCV unit this morning with Interval.
Interval was gracious enough to waive the FlexChange restrictions and used one of my remaining 2-E-PLUS to move the week [Dummy-Exchange] out to FEB-12-2022.

As for the second week FEB-19-2021 [2BR-FSA], Interval asked me to call up on JAN-19 [closer to 30-Days] as that is required [30-Days-Prior] to entertain an exception.
Since I have no more E-PLUS remaining on that exchange, I was informed that I would receive an AC that would be good for 1-Year until JAN-19-2022.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Sacramento region, including Lake Tahoe is now off the regional order (for at least 3 weeks).

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canceled our FEB-12-2021 NCV unit this morning with Interval.
Interval was gracious enough to waive the FlexChange restrictions and used one of my remaining 2-E-PLUS to move the week [Dummy-Exchange] out to FEB-12-2022.

As for the second week FEB-19-2021 [2BR-FSA], Interval asked me to call up on JAN-19 [closer to 30-Days] as that is required [30-Days-Prior] to entertain an exception.
Since I have no more E-PLUS remaining on that exchange, I was informed that I would receive an AC that would be good for 1-Year until JAN-19-2022.

Are you still allowed a third eplus exchange? Is it restricted in any way?

Sounds like a good resolution.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I received the AC for Timber Lodge for our cancellation last Oct. I believe it’s a 60 day window but I can use it for Desert in summer. Just waiting for window.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I received the AC for Timber Lodge for our cancellation last Oct. I believe it’s a 60 day window but I can use it for Desert in summer. Just waiting for window.
You are in CA right?

I just used an AC for Newport Coast, check in Friday for a staycation. Lots of weeks available now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau

Is this factual information or just your belief?

NCV and the Desert timeshares are not really near major hospitals I highly doubt the validity of your statement.

My DD will be staying at NCV starting February 14 th for a staycation while working and going to school. According to the NCV employee we spoke to services will be limited but no form verifying a reason for travel is required.

There is zero enforcement on our esteemed governors order. I repeat ZERO enforcement.

Covid is widespread here so you may not want to come anyways but you won’t be arrested.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
@SmithOp Did you see post #9 above?

SmithOp lives in Costa Mesa about a 10 -15 min drive from NCV depending on location. Will be just as safe at NCV as home I imagine just as I presume DD will be since we are about 20 minutes away.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@turkel Thank you for clarifying. The other poster was out of state. I missed that.

I live in Northern Cal, and wasn't sure of the rules in the various counties down south.