• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TradeWinds Cruise Club/TradeWinds Experience

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Okay, I've gone ahead and acquired a membership in TradeWinds Experience. I found a member in the Facebook Group page who was looking to sell 350K points for $4,000. The points were unlocked, so they had already paid about $2,800 in maintenance fees to unlock the points, so this portion of my payment was a reimbursement for the maintenance fees -- and then I had to pay $1,995 to transfer the points ($1,000) and the new member fee ($995). The points expire in 2026 so I have a reasonable time horizon to use them. As with other timeshare systems (like Marriott), it does seem like an inordinate amount of the transaction consideration goes to the timeshare organization to facilitate the transfer and I can see why most owners prefer to sell their excess points through the reservations process.

It's a smaller package that I originally anticipated seeking but there are few resales offered with most owners preferring to make reservations directly to warrant a higher purchase price and not have to be discounted because of the transfer fees. We will see how this works out, but wanted to communicate the details to my TUGging friends.

As I find come across things of interest, I will post them -- thanks all for your help over last few weeks -- I thought I would buy one eventually and this was just an opportunistic purchase. I don't think it was cheap nor overpaying, considering the transfer fees, and think this was a fair purchase for both parties.

Best,

Greg

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Okay, I've gone ahead and acquired a membership in TradeWinds Experience.

Welcome to the club. Can't wait for covid to be over and things for TWs to go back to normal. They have had huge issues with islands not allowing access or having to put in place 14 day quarantines. Yachts impose another issue, as land ops are open in some places, but not yachting options.

Maybe we will have to arrange a TUG TW Cruise. Get a few of us Tuggers who are owners all on the same trip. As far as purchasing a TWE account outright I think you found one of the best deals I have seen.

Happy Sailing.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Congrats Greg! I'm sure you'll enjoy this. I've been interested in trying a TW cruise for a long time.

We'll start the Carlsbad Cruisers Club.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Maybe we will have to arrange a TUG TW Cruise. Get a few of us Tuggers who are owners all on the same trip.

Sandy, thanks for the comments -- and I agree -- that would be fun to do with a group of TUGgers.

Speculative Question: if someone reserved a whole boat charter (which I can't), are there any TUGgers who would pay [$2,000?] to reserve a cabin (and then also pay the ~$1,100 per person AI fee) to do a TUG cruise on a Luxury Class yacht? That reservation fee would have to be non-refundable because some TUGger would be taking the risk by reserving the boat. But there may be enough interested TUGgers to even consume a cancelation.

Note: this is not an advertisement because I don't have a boat reserved, nor do I have sufficient points to even be able to reserve a boat, I'm just trying to figure out if this is even possible.

Best,

Greg

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Speculative Question: are there any TUGgers who would pay [$2,000?] to reserve a cabin (and then also pay the ~$1,100 per person AI fee) to do a TUG cruise on a Luxury Class yacht? That reservation fee would have to be non-refundable because some TUGger would be taking the risk by reserving the boat. But there may be enough interested TUGgers to even consume a cancelation.

Note: this is not an advertisement because I don't have a boat reserved, nor do I have sufficient points to even be able to reserve a boat, I'm just trying to figure out if this is even possible.

I DO have sufficient points to rent more than 1 whole boat. So if there is an interest, we can work something out.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I DO have sufficient points to rent more than 1 whole boat. So if there is an interest, we can work something out.
That's terrific! I would do a TUG TradeWinds cruise for sure and would be happy to pay for a cabin. That would be a blast!!!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
That's terrific! I would do a TUG TradeWinds cruise for sure and would be happy to pay for a cabin. That would be a blast!!!

Best,

Greg

Keep me on the list when things are normal. Sounds like a blast.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Good chance we’d be up to go in on a boat. We sold our 42 foot sailboat back in March and would enjoy getting back on the water without the fuss of chartering a boat ourselves.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Us too. Totally would be in on a full boat booking.

wrxdoug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see that SFX is offering exchanges on Trade Winds , does anyone know if that is also cruise class or luxury Boats?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see that SFX is offering exchanges on Trade Winds , does anyone know if that is also cruise class or luxury Boats?

I would assume cruising, luxury would be a bonus.

There are a few locations that currently are Luxury only, but yachts move around, so that situation is in flux for now at least.

wrxdoug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good morning TUGgers,

A question on TradeWinds -- RCI has loaded the 2022 trips (not sure when they did, I just looked today) and noticed that there were some trips where an exchange was available on RCI, however when I went to the TradeWinds website, there was no indication of a trip that week. An example is Nov 12 2022 in BVI.

The only explanation I can think of is that TradeWinds has designated this excursion as a broker-only cruise. Does anyone know if TradeWinds does that? Just curious....thanks!

Best,

Greg

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good morning TUGgers,

A question on TradeWinds -- RCI has loaded the 2022 trips (not sure when they did, I just looked today) and noticed that there were some trips where an exchange was available on RCI, however when I went to the TradeWinds website, there was no indication of a trip that week. An example is Nov 12 2022 in BVI.

The only explanation I can think of is that TradeWinds has designated this excursion as a broker-only cruise. Does anyone know if TradeWinds does that? Just curious....thanks!

Best,

Greg

No idea, unless they still have an old boat in BVI that they are using for RCI inbounds that they just don't offer to members. Curious. I would get on a chat tomorrow with TW and ask. Chat is often the easiest way to contact them. I think the office in SVG is back open again as the volcano has not erupted again since the last eruption.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
@Sandy VDH If I understand correctly, An RCI exchange will usually get you into cruise class. Do you get your own bathroom and shower or is it completely shared with strangers ? Are the boats usually always full?

I can’t see my friends wanting to pay AI and being stuck sharing beds, with that being the case, I have no issues going solo! I’d love to add one of these trips onto a WSJ trip. I would love some feedback from anyone who has maybe done a trip like this solo. It’s always fun to meet new people.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Good morning TUGgers,

Best,

Greg

I have been trying to figure out where I would use my RCI points and came across TW on RCI. I see 8/22 available. I’m assuming the AI fee is paid to TW a few weeks before the cruise?

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hi @CPNY,

RCI members who trade into a Tradewinds cruise will most likely get a Cruising Class boat. The majority of the cruising class boats are 52’ in length, but there are a couple of 50’ around.

The 52’ cruising class boat accommodates up to 10 guests. You will have your own cabin that accommodates 2 with your own private shower and head (toilet) and sink, and storage space. If you decide to travel solo you have the cabin all to yourself.

The cabins and common space do have air conditioning, but it is up to the discretion of the captain when to use it.

There is a variety of Tradewinds cruises available on RCI right now. For the Caribbean, search the Lesser Antilles, St Martin, Virgin Islands and the Bahamas. I’m a Tradewinds member but I just picked up an RCI Bahamas week.

I’ve done all of my sailings solo. You can isolate yourself and have peace and quiet (like a mini retreat) or you can interact and socialize with the other guests. You will eat all of your meals together so it makes it easy for conversation. The self-serve bar is available 24/7. You just help yourself to drinks, soda, wine, beer, fruit juice, etc. The captain makes a specialty cocktail in the late afternoon, usually something fruity. If you choose not to drink that is fine too.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TW Tuggers, any thoughts on Tonga (aquaterra) vs French Polynesia? We're trying to decide between the two.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
TW Tuggers, any thoughts on Tonga (aquaterra) vs French Polynesia? We're trying to decide between the two.

We traded thru II to TW French Polynesian in late April of 2018. It was a luxurious TW. I think it is 60’ and much larger than the Caribbean one (we had 9 guests and two crew members). Air conditioned cabin. We have French captain and cook. The cabin was better and bigger than I thought. Catamaran was large. French food is delicious. The only drawback is that few airline to Tahiti. We paid 1500 per person French airline ticket to Tahiti (cheapest from Los Angeles) , another $520 round trip to the island where the catamaran is. The French airline Don fly every day, (I think they fly Wednesday to Tahiti, so we have to find hotel stay to Saturday to go to the island. Catamaran was excellent, all inclusive fee was euro 1150 per person. One dinner at Bora Bora and another island were extra (around $120, $100 per person per dinner). We paid US$300 pp tips (suggested). So the exchange was cheap, the other added up. We end up spend $12K extra.

It was a excellent trip. We get along with the rest 7 passengers (one is single). Snorkeling were super. You can dive (extra). We request a snorkeling with French Polynesian yellow sharks outside the reef of Bora bora. It was cool. We watch the over the water bungalow at Bora bora and waved back to the guests on the luxurious bungalow. We had dolphins surrounded swimming with our yacht, we had night swimming with Rays. Water was clear, calm and warm. We kayak too. It was on our bucket list. We loved it. It was stressful schedule too to catch to plan, transfer, find place to stay between flight. Definitely not as convenient as to Caribbean.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hi @CPNY,

RCI members who trade into a Tradewinds cruise will most likely get a Cruising Class boat. The majority of the cruising class boats are 52’ in length, but there are a couple of 50’ around.

The 52’ cruising class boat accommodates up to 10 guests. You will have your own cabin that accommodates 2 with your own private shower and head (toilet) and sink, and storage space. If you decide to travel solo you have the cabin all to yourself.

The cabins and common space do have air conditioning, but it is up to the discretion of the captain when to use it.

There is a variety of Tradewinds cruises available on RCI right now. For the Caribbean, search the Lesser Antilles, St Martin, Virgin Islands and the Bahamas. I’m a Tradewinds member but I just picked up an RCI Bahamas week.

I’ve done all of my sailings solo. You can isolate yourself and have peace and quiet (like a mini retreat) or you can interact and socialize with the other guests. You will eat all of your meals together so it makes it easy for conversation. The self-serve bar is available 24/7. You just help yourself to drinks, soda, wine, beer, fruit juice, etc. The captain makes a specialty cocktail in the late afternoon, usually something fruity. If you choose not to drink that is fine too.
Awesome! Have you done the BVI one? I’m thinking about adding that to a WSJ trip next year. I do the Bahamas a lot so I’d like to try something different.

When is the AI fee due? Last question, say I choose 2 people but decide on going solo right before the trip, is that doable?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see you got a lot of answers without me jumping in.

Generally yes, you only pay the AI for the passengers in the cabin. No one under 16 allowed, unless you are member and book a whole boat.

BVI is a good choice, and among my favorites.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Good afternoon TUGgers,

I know we have some Tradewinds Club Members here (@Sandy VDH , @klpca , @SciTchr , @RNCollins , to name a few) and I was hoping the information below could be clarified/corrected. I am not actively looking for more timeshares, but I love boats and I am interested in Tradewinds and hope to do an RCI trade into Tradewinds BVI or Bahamas in 2022. Can I ask our TUGgers to review the below? Note: I have now learned that Tradewinds Cruise Club is an older club, and what is currently being sold is called Tradewinds Experiences -- but I believe the rules below are the same. Thank you!

It is my understanding that someone joining TradeWinds will purchase PlusPoints, which are single use points with a fixed life (often 12-years, can be shorter). I saw a post where a TUGger was initially offered 1.2M points for $22K and 4.8M points for $67K. They ultimately purchased 600,000 points for $13.5K when an additional 100,000 points were added as an incentive (so 700K points for $13.5K)

Annually, the Club Member pays a fee to "unlock" some of their points (based on the length of the contract) and it is currently $815 to unlock 100K points. So a 1.2M contract with a 12 year life unlocks 100,000 points annually -- and the member pays $815. They can make reservations based upon the number of points that they have unlocked. If they want to make a reservation which will consume more points then they have already unlocked, then they pay the additional fee to unlock the needed points and can reserve accordingly.

Once unlocked, the points can be utilized to reserve based upon the category of boat and the season of travel, as follows:

Class High Middle Low

Flagship 200,000 150,000 100,000
Luxury 125,000 100,000 75,000 (see note immediately below on Luxury class)
Cruising 100,000 75,000 50,000

Note: per Sandy's note below, this Luxury point requirement is for the Luxury 59' boat and there is a Luxury 60' boat with a 25K higher point requirement. The Cruising category is for a 52' catamaran (there a couple of 50 footers that are being phased out), and the Flagship is a 70'+ boat. Sandy also has the seasons, which are January - April (High), May - July (Mid), Aug-Oct (Low), Nov-Dec (mid) except for the holidays, which are High.

I also understand there is some benefit for last minute travel, but not sure how that works.

There is an All-Inclusive Fee of [$1,075?] per person which covers all food and the booze that is on the boat. Note that when booking through RCI, the AI fee is higher, I believe it is $1,295 per person and RCI has a 1-in-4 restriction for Tradewinds reservations (covering all the different locations, not 1:4 for each location). There appears to be some discrepancy on how strictly Tradewinds is enforcing the 1-in-4 right now.

Locations (per their website at www.trade-winds.com):
  • Abacos
  • Antigua
  • Belize
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Croatia
  • Exumas
  • Fiji
  • French Polynesia
  • Greece
  • Grenada
  • Guadeloupe
  • Martinique
  • Panama
  • St. Martin
  • Tonga
  • St. Vincent & The Grenadines
I do apologize if I've missed some key items here and would appreciate correction. I love sailing and am currently a member of SailTime, which is a fractional interest in a sailboat here in San Diego. I hope to do a TradeWinds trip (likely an RCI exchange) in 2022 and always like to learn more about these things. Thanks very much!

Best,

Greg

Edited: Tried to clean up my post based upon initial feedback below -- thanks!
If you book Bahamas Exuma, you will have an amazing time. If you haven’t been to Exuma it’s amazing. One of my favorite places. Try to get on the route that goes to Staniel Cay if you can. Some of the best waters I’ve ever seen are in Exuma.

I just booked May 2022 in French Polynesia via RCI. I’m so looking forward to this that Already booked RT from LAX/PPT

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you book Bahamas Exuma, you will have an amazing time. If you haven’t been to Exuma it’s amazing. One of my favorite places. Try to get on the route that goes to Staniel Cay if you can. Some of the best waters I’ve ever seen are in Exuma.

I just booked May 2022 in French Polynesia via RCI. I’m so looking forward to this that Already booked RT from LAX/PPT
And I just booked Tonga since we did FP in 2018. It's sure fun to be planning trips again!