• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing Resale Points at Orange Lake

Reaction score
I have read a few threads that mention the only 3 resorts which would transfer points from resales are Lake Geneva, Myrtle Beach, and Gatlinburg. What would happen if I purchased resale points for Orange Lake location? Just trying to see what my options are. Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
It depends. The only OLCC points that transfer are "Trust Points", but they are extremely restrictive. One of the biggest is you can not rent them out. The best thing is to only go for the points resorts above, they are less restrictive.

TS

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I have read a few threads that mention the only 3 resorts which would transfer points from resales are Lake Geneva, Myrtle Beach, and Gatlinburg. What would happen if I purchased resale points for Orange Lake location? Just trying to see what my options are. Thanks everyone!

Any points contract at orange lake that you purchase resale turns into a fixed week, the deeded week and unit is all you get.

There are orange lake land trust points, those do transfer as points on a resale purchase, but like the previous person said, they are more restrictive. I read the land trust document when it came out, and you can not bank or borrow points, they have to be used same year, and you do not enjoy many of the benefits with the 3 points Resorts.

There are some that say that because orange lake has not updated their booking system/website, that some of the restrictions are not currently in place. However, I still have not talked with anyone that purchased land trust points resale.

In regards to pricing, I have seen their value increase. The first eBay land trust contracrs I saw for sale, sold for next to nothing, however, the last two have commanded about half the cost of the 3 points resort. So there is value on these contracts.

Just make sure it is a land trust contract, and let us know how it goes for you.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! That helps clear things up a lot! I saw another post mentioned converting a fixed week into points, and it can be negotiated (not for a significant more of course) how many points you’d be willing to take. I haven’t made any purchases yet, but let’s say I purchased these points, they get turned into fixed week. Later on down the line, I decided to purchase points straight from HIVC, is there a chance I could get that fixed week convert back to points? Also, what would be the equivalence for points to week? There’s probably not a set conversion chart anywhere, just an estimate would be great too!

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Thank you everyone! That helps clear things up a lot! I saw another post mentioned converting a fixed week into points, and it can be negotiated (not for a significant more of course) how many points you’d be willing to take. I haven’t made any purchases yet, but let’s say I purchased these points, they get turned into fixed week. Later on down the line, I decided to purchase points straight from HIVC, is there a chance I could get that fixed week convert back to points? Also, what would be the equivalence for points to week? There’s probably not a set conversion chart anywhere, just an estimate would be great too!

Yes, you can revert a fixed week to points by purchasing developer points. For every 25k you bring into the club, a 5k purchase must be made. This is expensive. I was quoted this same amount last week that they call me to offer discounted end of year "opportunity to upgrade". However, I have received other offers at owners update and this may be your best route.

Some fixed weeks are available for free, or next to nothing on eBay. You need to review the points chart to make sure what you acquire a unit that offers the best points per maintenance fees.

I am unable to attach the points chart and will try later tonight so that yo can review it.

Reaction score
Yes, you can revert a fixed week to points by purchasing developer points. For every 25k you bring into the club, a 5k purchase must be made. This is expensive. I was quoted this same amount last week that they call me to offer discounted end of year "opportunity to upgrade". However, I have received other offers at owners update and this may be your best route.

Some fixed weeks are available for free, or next to nothing on eBay. You need to review the points chart to make sure what you acquire a unit that offers the best points per maintenance fees.

I am unable to attach the points chart and will try later tonight so that yo can review it.

That’s great to know!!!! The points chart would be an excellent tool for me to do some planning and weighing my options! Thank you!!!

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Maybe I missed something??

If you are wanting to end up with points then why buy any from HICV?
Why not purchase points from a points resort and not have to do any conversions?

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something??

If you are wanting to end up with points then why buy any from HICV?
Why not purchase points from a points resort and not have to do any conversions?

I like the point system from HICV, but definitely not the retailed price if purchasing straight from their salesman. So I’m weighing my options on what would be the best bang for my bucks, looking at different way to acquire the points I want eventually from purchasing resales

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I like the point system from HICV, but definitely not the retailed price if purchasing straight from their salesman. So I’m weighing my options on what would be the best bang for my bucks, looking at different way to acquire the points I want eventually from purchasing resales

HICV has 3 resorts that are points and you are able to buy any timeshare from the secondary market that is one of the 3 and you will own points in HICV

I did mine a little differently but someone here will be able to direct you to which resorts are all points resorts and the best way to buy those on the secondary market like eBay or such

TXgalSAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV (old Silverleaf)
I have a ridiculous amount of HICV points that I'm going to lose. (I'm sure I'm not the only one.) The best advice I have heard is to take an expensive vacation. Any other advice? I don't want to break any rules but I hate to see the points just LOST! Thanks

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara

I may have up to 3 HICV points contracts (2 south beach and one lake geneva) that I will sell if I close on another property. I may also sell my HICV desert club wich I wanted to convert to points as MFS are low and would offers a good amount of points per MFs and a way to qualify for their tier membership.

Send me a pm if you would like more info and a Timeline on on these.

Tony

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I have a ridiculous amount of HICV points that I'm going to lose. (I'm sure I'm not the only one.) The best advice I have heard is to take an expensive vacation. Any other advice? I don't want to break any rules but I hate to see the points just LOST! Thanks

Definitely the best way is to use the points in the system or with RCI. It does not have to be an expensive vacation. On the below post I kind of explained exchanging though RCI using points for over 14 nights as the exchange fee is capped at $288 (compared to $249 for weeks exchange) HICV also has good to great value when exchanging. With points and RCI you are able to book into 2022 using 2019 or 2020 points, you just need to find something that would work for you, and be on the lookout when other timeshares dump inventory in RCI.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/expiring-2020-holiday-inn-club-points.313152/#post-2552948

TXgalSAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV (old Silverleaf)
Definitely the best way is to use the points in the system or with RCI. It does not have to be an expensive vacation. On the below post I kind of explained exchanging though RCI using points for over 14 nights as the exchange fee is capped at $288 (compared to $249 for weeks exchange) HICV also has good to great value when exchanging. With points and RCI you are able to book into 2022 using 2019 or 2020 points, you just need to find something that would work for you, and be on the lookout when other timeshares dump inventory in RCI.
https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/expiring-2020-holiday-inn-club-points.313152/#post-2552948
Thank you, tony-i. I have points from 2019 and 2020 that I'm about to lose. I am trying to find a couple of vacations to take in the very near future to "spend" some points. I'll still have points left, though. Thanks for the advice. :) The link is also appreciated. :)

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Thank you, tony-i. I have points from 2019 and 2020 that I'm about to lose. I am trying to find a couple of vacations to take in the very near future to "spend" some points. I'll still have points left, though. Thanks for the advice. :) The link is also appreciated. :)
2020 points are good until June of 2022 so i wouldnt worry to much on those. How many points are you talking about that you have left?

ltdan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a year old, I had a question about buying developers points. If I bought a 2 bedroom unit on eBay, and it worked out to be worth 150,000 points, what would I have to buy to convert the points? 20% of points (30,000 points) or 20% in cash ($30,000)?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the best person to ask would be a salesman. (S)he would have current information. Just like the prices online, they change frequently.

TS

ltdan

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was really looking for clarification on the above quote. 25k to 5k. Is that points to points or cash to value?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The official policy is an equal number of retail points. That being said they had a published special last year and it was either an additional 30,000 or 40,000 points per resale that you convert (regardless of points the resale would get). They usually have an unpublished deal offered by sales of either 40,000 or 50,000 points purchase to bring in one. You can always start by negotiating your best price per point and then say you will buy 30,000 but it would have to include converting your current week. You could see if they would write it in the contract that you could bring in a resale that you are currently purchasing (they did that in the past before the trust).

I think they are talking points but the trick is to negotiate the points cost before bringing up that you want to bring in another week.

9969hi

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I did convert a week at Orange Lake and my Dave Walleys to points when I purchased 115000 points at Scottsdale. I did not convert my 2 bedroom week 12 at Orange Lake West to points but I could of. For a spring week at Orange lake the maintenance fee is $1016 but when you book the same week through points the you end paying $1600 in point value the same reservation. In a recent update they were willing to give $24000 value for the resale week if I purchased 60000 points for about $19000.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I know this is a year old, I had a question about buying developers points. If I bought a 2 bedroom unit on eBay, and it worked out to be worth 150,000 points, what would I have to buy to convert the points? 20% of points (30,000 points) or 20% in cash ($30,000)?

if you buy lake Geneva , south beach, or gatlinburg
They are already points that will attach to existing points in the HICV system just will not add to your status