• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First case of COVID in our subdivision

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We felt safe in our community of 1000 homes, but it finally happened. The person who tested positive was one who argued with residents all this time that she wasn’t wearing a mask, she wasn’t changing her life style, she wasn’t living in fear. I knew she had a house cleaning business, but I didn’t realize she led the large water aerobics group too. I haven’t been doing anything but take my husband to medical appointments so we are safe so far. Had the test last Monday and we’re negative. Hoping others weren’t infected, lots of vulnerable people here.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sorry to hear about this, but honestly, I'm not surprised. People who put themselves at risk are more likely to contract Covid. That woman's activity is exactly how it happens. My nephew was one of the naysayers as well, until he got it. He is younger (30s), quite active, and very healthy. He still spent several weeks in and out of the hospital. He recovered, but his attitude has been greatly changed. You might say it even humbled him a little. He is now quite vocal about being safer. His wife and children are his biggest priorities now.

Hope everyone in your area stays safe and healthy.

Dave

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We felt safe in our community of 1000 homes, but it finally happened. The person who tested positive was one who argued with residents all this time that she wasn’t wearing a mask, she wasn’t changing her life style, she wasn’t living in fear. I knew she had a house cleaning business, but I didn’t realize she led the large water aerobics group too. I haven’t been doing anything but take my husband to medical appointments so we are safe so far. Had the test last Monday and we’re negative. Hoping others weren’t infected, lots of vulnerable people here.
How do you know in your 1000 home community that this is the first person who has Covid?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Our neighbors at our previous home (a townhome that we converted to a rental property back in 2008 because we couldn’t sell it during the Great Recession), with whom we still keep in touch, have both tested positive this week.

He hasn’t really been employing preventative measures, going to bars and restaurants quite often. I feel bad for her as she is a cancer survivor and is more middle of the road in her views (like me). She actually tested positive before he did since she started showing symptoms first. He is 67 and she is 58.

My son just rented our adjacent townhome with two of his friends, one of which is taking a biologic for Crone’s disease and is immune-compromised as a result, so they are not exactly happy about living right next to a couple who are both COVID-19 positive now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you know in your 1000 home community that this is the first person who has Covid?
True. My son and his wife and her mom got it. We didn't blab it all around the neighborhood. Mild cases for all. My DH got it in his nursing home. There is an outbreak there. Mostly mild cases for everyone. DH is asymptomatic. There are probably many more positive tests than you will ever hear about. Never consider yourself safe. Just be smart for yourself.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
True. My son and his wife and her mom got it. We didn't blab it all around the neighborhood. Mild cases for all. My DH got it in his nursing home. There is an outbreak there. Mostly mild cases for everyone. DH is asymptomatic. There are probably many more positive tests than you will ever hear about. Never consider yourself safe. Just be smart for yourself.

I agree, I think a lot of folks are not going to broadcast their COVID-19. My cousin got it, since he is already working from home, he did not broadcast to anyone except immediate family and since it was a mild case, he only had one day where he slept all day, he is just moving forward and self isolating for 14 days and will then get re-tested.

geekette

Reaction score
Were I to test positive, I would tell only those with a need to know. I don't generally interact closely with my neighbors, and now that it is winter, it's even less. They have not known about previous medical or physical issues I've had, either, and I don't notify them if there has been a death in my family, etc. If you were in a room with me or within 6 feet of me outside, I'll be phoning you directly and I would expect same urgent courtesy in return.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contact tracing.
And nosy neighbors
In this case the woman was leading water aerobics The manager has shut down water aerobics in all the pools. Email blast with no names but participants were asked to test and report to office. Someone said five have it now, we are in Florida and don’t really have winter.
95 per cent older retired people who are active in the community. If it spreads we will have to shut down our golf course and restaurant but the expenses with continue so it is in everyone’s interest to keep the community safe. Someone in community that never uses any facilities could have it and no one would know

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contact tracing doesn't work that way.

Based on the judgmental comments I read towards people that get sick, I don't blame anyone for not revealing a positive diagnosis to anyone. Who needs that kind of grief on top of being sick?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We're in three different residential over-55 HOA's where all clubs are closed and social calendars are severely trimmed down to only outdoor activities. We know from notices from the managers that one hasn't yet had a positive case while another has had two and the third has had one, with all three positive cases requiring hospitalizations. No names were given in the notices but these neighbors "outed" themselves because they were worried about possibly spreading it unknowingly, and they wanted to contribute to contact tracing efforts. Nobody's judged them negatively; everybody has been concerned for their health and making sure that their spouses have everything they need. I'm not sure what judgmental comments would/could be lobbed against them anyway because some in these communities are in the highest-risk group so pretty much everyone has been following mask and social distancing rules, limiting errands to necessities and health/wellness appointments. Their misfortune has actually driven home for the rest of us just how easy it is to contract the virus, which is why you see all the exercise groups spaced apart more than is suggested.

Judgmental comments about people who continue to ignore the real risks and endanger others are a whole 'nother thing. ;)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
In a community of 1000 homes, I suspect you have had many cases of Covid that were either not reported or assymptomatic so the people did not know they had it.

The asymptomatic nature of COVID-19 spread is probably the most terrifying of all its characteristics, probably the most important factor that justifies masking, social distancing, etc. But again, judgmental comments wouldn't be lobbed unless all those suggestions to contain the spread are being blatantly ignored.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a community of 1000 homes, I suspect you have had many cases of Covid that were either not reported or assymptomatic so the people did not know they had it.
Wouldn’t it have spread if they had it and are a symptomatic. The city reports the numbers daily. About 1/3 of community stays year round and they were concerned when the seasonal people started arriving. We were asked to self quarantine. Only activities are outdoor except for the bar. I peeked in and was shocked. Huge groups gathered around two tables. They feel they are all safe because they isolated from everyone else. Since March. Of course if one gets it it is going to be all over.
the woman who got it has a cleaning business. She cleans for my next door neighbor who has congestive heart failure. I hated to hear the cleaning lady boasting that she wasn’t afraid like the rest of us, wasn’t going to wear a mask, stay home or change anything.

Last edited:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
The CDC estimated that there may as many as 8 times the number of positive cases as reported. My company chief medical officer (yes, we have one...) was guessing 5-6 times when he was discussing herd immunity. Your 1,000 homes community has had it for some time.

EDIT TO ADD: Doesn't excuse selfish reckless behavior.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The CDC estimated that there may as many as 8 times the number of positive cases as reported. My company chief medical officer (yes, we have one...) was guessing 5-6 times when he was discussing herd immunity. Your 1,000 homes community has had it for some time.

EDIT TO ADD: Doesn't excuse selfish reckless behavior.

Some were predicting 10x, but we knew it was definitely more than the reported, tested, numbers. We should all simply act as if everyone we are in contact with is positive, with notable exceptions (for instance, I know a small extended family that decided to isolate for two weeks prior to Thanksgiving so they could meet in person, and even then they met outside).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think covid positives should be made public to the neighbours and where they work. Here the health agency shows up in hazmat suits possibly daily but nothing official.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think covid positives should be made public to the neighbours and where they work. Here the health agency shows up in hazmat suits possibly daily but nothing official.
Perhaps published ? Or posted on the internet?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That would definitely violate HIPPA laws. The best thing to prevent covid is to protect yourself. If you don't go to public places, minimize time in stores when you have to go, wear masks and wash your hands then it shouldn't matter what anyone else does

geekette

Reaction score
Good luck with that. Even if you knew where the Positives were, that doesn't give you a clear path through the human slalom. Those not marked with the big "P" could be asymptomatic or simply have no simple access to testing. Test could still be outstanding. Far more efficient to assume that everybody is infected because you will never know for sure, even if every known positive wore that red P.

Besides, we have privacy laws. You want to tell someone your business, go for it. Most of us that are not public figures or in a situation where we would endanger coworkers have no compelling reason to declare ourselves positive publicly. Remote worker that lives alone and gets grocery delivery can simply wait it out at home. What's it to you if Steve down the street is sick? Were you planning on licking his mailbox or hanging out in his kitchen? Why should his boss care so long as his assignments come in on time?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
remember when this all started and we were told shelter in place for two weeks and we will stop the spread. Everybody did and it went on and on.
our club sold groceries and meals. Everything by phone and on our accounts. No human contact for weeks. then Slowly people left to go north for the summer. The people who were left felt safe with each other. No family visits, no company. The community is sure treating this case of covid seriously. They have asked all those who attended water aerobics to contact the office to contact trace.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly its your funeral or your loved ones or people you come in contact with. Check Hippa laws at the door. Not licking anyones mailbox but would keep an eye on them if they need supplies or decide to go out.

geekette

Reaction score
Sadly its your funeral or your loved ones or people you come in contact with. Check Hippa laws at the door. Not licking anyones mailbox but would keep an eye on them if they need supplies or decide to go out.
Not my funeral, I am neither a getter nor a spreader, no matter who tells me they test positive. I am mostly always all by myself, just me n my germs. I assume there are a lot of infected people out there that don't know they are positive. I have no compelling reason to mix with people just yet. Wasn't any big deal to Thanksgiving in my own home by myself.

"Keep an eye on them" is why I wouldn't be telling anyone my pos status. I don't mind isolating, I am a great loner, but I can do without surveillance. Not interested in being checked up on. If I go out, consider that it might be to seek medical help. I'd not take kindly to someone stopping me in my driveway to interrogate me.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not my funeral, I am neither a getter nor a spreader, no matter who tells me they test positive. I am mostly always all by myself, just me n my germs. I assume there are a lot of infected people out there that don't know they are positive. I have no compelling reason to mix with people just yet. Wasn't any big deal to Thanksgiving in my own home by myself.

"Keep an eye on them" is why I wouldn't be telling anyone my pos status. I don't mind isolating, I am a great loner, but I can do without surveillance. Not interested in being checked up on. If I go out, consider that it might be to seek medical help. I'd not take kindly to someone stopping me in my driveway to interrogate me.

Great, you are N of one then. I am sure a lot of people think they are like you but they keep spreading the cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.