• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Travel Plans

pauljeffrey10

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I do not get - it seems that up here in Canada we are taking the pandemic much more seriously than those in the States. We seriously wear masks, isolate, refrain from going out, or seeing people. This is what it takes to STOP the pandemic. Unfortunately millions of people disagree and threaten the health of the rest of us. NO ONE should be travelling, even to see family. TOUGH IT OUT. Sadly we put our time share for exchange this year for later as we recognize that travelling to the States is a clear endangerment of our health, and the health of others. That is what gets me... people say "Oh.. I'm healthy, I'll be OK" completely self absorbed position that does not recognizes the danger they make for OTHERS! the selfishness of people having this view point is disgusting. EVERYONE must do their part to stop this pandemic !! That includes CANCELLING all travel plans until some future vaccine takes effect. Period. The people who who do not agree with this point are the problem. They don't get it. This is the worst crisis in 100 years in the WORLD, and they fluff it off. Oh well... I'm doing my part. See y'all on the other side - of the Pandemic that is!
I like all of yhat. I think I will move to Canada!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancelled our two weeks in Palm Desert and rebooked for the middle of April. Wife and I will be having Thanksgiving together with prepared food brought in from the market. Looks like we will be able to eat outside on our porch here in HH.

Edited to add that it looks like there’s a strong possibility for rain on Thursday.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This is what I do not get - it seems that up here in Canada we are taking the pandemic much more seriously than those in the States. We seriously wear masks, isolate, refrain from going out, or seeing people. This is what it takes to STOP the pandemic. Unfortunately millions of people disagree and threaten the health of the rest of us. NO ONE should be travelling, even to see family. TOUGH IT OUT. Sadly we put our time share for exchange this year for later as we recognize that travelling to the States is a clear endangerment of our health, and the health of others. That is what gets me... people say "Oh.. I'm healthy, I'll be OK" completely self absorbed position that does not recognizes the danger they make for OTHERS! the selfishness of people having this view point is disgusting. EVERYONE must do their part to stop this pandemic !! That includes CANCELLING all travel plans until some future vaccine takes effect. Period. The people who who do not agree with this point are the problem. They don't get it. This is the worst crisis in 100 years in the WORLD, and they fluff it off. Oh well... I'm doing my part. See y'all on the other side - of the Pandemic that is!

Well said.

My family has canceled all typical holiday plans. We’ll each have our own dinner in our pods, and are grateful none of us have taken ill. In the spring we started a weekly zoom with family, which has turned out to be one of the best results of this mess. We have another scheduled for Thanksgiving at a time when all can join, including a few who have been living in Europe.

One of the more difficult aspects of this crisis has been realizing that to succeed with minimal loss of life, the majority must do...nothing. Clearly that is still too difficult for many, and rationalizations of the relative risk and justifications for travel and other group events continue. It’s just quite sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cddfe676304794bfcd424c377df3f966.jpg

Last edited:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

While I understand your point Everyone has to make this decision on their own. In general, my family are all introverts....we don't go to parties, bars, large outings in normal times and that has not changed during the pandemic. We all limit where we go out and follow guidelines when we do. My 2 sons, spouses and grandson are coming to my house for dinner...We have all been working from home and the only real exposure will be my son & grandson coming from ABQ.....I am willing to take the risk. My Brother passed away 2 months ago ( not covid) and his MIL passed away this past week from covid. Life is short ...I will be careful but I will not stop living.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
We’re driving to our kids’ houses in Jacksonville for Thanksgiving. Living dangerously. Also going to Cancun for New Years. Just the 2 of us in our timeshare. We’re not planning on hitting the party scene there. We just need a change of scenery. I’ve been stocking up on N95 masks.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
This is what I do not get - it seems that up here in Canada we are taking the pandemic much more seriously than those in the States. We seriously wear masks, isolate, refrain from going out, or seeing people.

Apparently a few Canadians have decided to travel:)

Cheers

Marvin

TUG Member
Reaction score
PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE: The second this thread turns political, it will be closed - focus on the topic of TRAVEL!

We are going to spend a couple of weeks at our home in Nevada (will drive) - but it will be just the 2 of us. We are in tight "stay at home mode," so a big Thanksgiving dinner is just not in the cards for us this year. I have to admit, I won't miss all the work of cooking a big dinner! ;)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree 100% and somewhat surprised by the demographic on here throwing caution to the wind.

But the lockdown and associate distancing in Canada is not much either.

We had could only go out 2 hours at a time 2-3 times a week. Men and women on different days. Saturday and Sundays everything closed and people stay home. Curfew between 7pm -5am. No eating at restaurants for 5 months. No traveling to other parts of the country for 5 months. No sale or consumption of alcohol for 3 months. I gave away my reserves of hard liquor as I do lot drink that. Beaches and parks closed for 6-7 months. International and domestic flights cancelled other then for humanitarian reasons.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My heart just hurts that I cannot see my mom and knowing she will be alone. And she'll be alone @ Christmas too.

Just a thought: some folks are using Alexa or Google Assistant to see isolated relatives. You need to buy devices (Amazon Echo is one), then phone calls become video chats. Could make a nice Christmas gift.
1605996397375.png

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We are having a pre-Thanksgiving Zoom meeting today. My sister in law set it up. It will be sister in law and brother in law (who live here in Santa Fe), their son who lives in Kyoto, Japan, my brother in law in Fairfax, VA, a nephew in Annandale, VA, our daughter in Sunnyvale, CA and dh, younger dd and me.

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a thought: some folks are using Alexa or Google Assistant to see isolated relatives. You need to buy devices (Amazon Echo is one), then phone calls become video chats. Could make a nice Christmas gift.
View attachment 28839
Thank you for this. Not sure if you saw my earlier thread but her assisted living facility isn't allow us to have this.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
This is what I do not get - it seems that up here in Canada we are taking the pandemic much more seriously than those in the States. We seriously wear masks, isolate, refrain from going out, or seeing people.
I don’t know what part of Canada you are living in, but statistically it is safer in California than where I live. There are plenty of Canadians not following basic hygiene principles or masking. Even the supposed “Atlantic bubble” is starting to pop. We Canadians should not get into the mindset that we are somehow better, because we aren’t - we are just going into the curve later than others.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
38 percent of Americans planning on having Thanksgiving dinner with 10 or more people

About 40 percent of U.S. residents say they plan to gather in groups of 10 or more people this holiday season, according to a recent survey from Ohio State University (OSU) Wexner Medical Center.

Nearly 33 percent of respondents said they would not require friends or family to wear masks at Thanksgiving gatherings, and 25 percent said they would not practice social distancing, according to the poll.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2

Statisitcally as a country, Canada is not currently any better than the USA, in fact slightly worse. And I do not hold your view point and I am NOT disgusting!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We are staying home . Son is here with us. We are going to zoom relatives , to send best wishes.
Going to Treasure Island for a week in early December. Social Distancing and mask wearing.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
Back when we had the pub, we always hosted a stragglers Thanksgiving for folks who didn't have other plans. Then when my other half got his normal people job, he always volunteered to work the family holidays so that the parents who wanted it off might have a little goodwill when he asked for time off for debauchery. I usually cooked up a feast for the guys working the holiday with him.

This year, he isn't working at all, and we're staying pretty isolated - so for the first time, we're cooking for two. I don't exactly know how to do that, so we'll offer some takeaway meals to some neighbors and still have a bunch of leftovers.

Work for me has been pretty demanding lately, so I'm not unhappy about four pantsless days in a row without an alarm set =p

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I do think in Canada the virus has been a little less politicized than in the states we are far from perfect. Alberta (my province) now has numbers as high as Ontario which has 3 times the population. Because of the high numbers I saw no one other than people in my household for my birthday. I have cancelled trips since March but actually managed to visit a few Canadian timeshares (all drivable) in the summer when numbers were low. Mainly cooked or ate outside if we went out. I have seen a few friends usually outside and one week between seeing other people in case there is a problem. I have not seen my husband's family since February. The siblings have been together (always masked) to try and sort the contents of their mother's house so it can be sold. I do teach (at a very small private school) so I go out every day but have been attempting less stops for groceries or anything else. With the numbers as high as they are the only activities we will be partaking in will be outside. The good news is both of my adult children live at home.
Stay safe everyone

Geo341

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort, Freeport GBI
We generally don't travel over the holidays, preferring to be at home. The difference this year is that our older daughter, who comes to visit for either Thanksgiving or Christmas, won't be coming.
Although I’ll be home for the holiday, two weeks ago I spent a week in Sedona and a week in Phoenix touring and visiting friends who relocated. Next week I leave for Pompano Beach. So far I’ve found tourists and travelers adapting to masks and distancing everywhere.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Although I’ll be home for the holiday, two weeks ago I spent a week in Sedona and a week in Phoenix touring and visiting friends who relocated. Next week I leave for Pompano Beach. So far I’ve found tourists and travelers adapting to masks and distancing everywhere.
I've seen the tourists that have come here to Santa Fe. It seems that many of them feel that since they are on vacation anything goes. Of course with us being so shut down at this point in time they might not be finding it as much fun here.

Carolgold1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacation Club (Wyndham)
Having a small Thanksgiving, just my Dad who is 95 and my Husband.
Not traveling for the rest of the year. We usually go to Paniolo Greens (Wyndham) in Jan/Feb but not 2021 unless no masks are required which would mean no more Covid 19. Have a safe holiday season to all.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
We are driving an hour or two to the oregon coast where my folks live-did a 3 day VRBO there for the six of starting the day after thanksgiving. Just hope to see something new and perhaps walk on the beach with my folks, since no indoor dining for them. We have a week at Marriott Timber booked via these boards for mid-December and are realllly hoping we can go-even if we just cook every meal in our villa. Kids and I have never been to Tahoe and they really want to ski. I want to stare at the snow with a book and wine for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duketime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently a few Canadians have decided to travel:)

Cheers
sad of course - at least they are all going to one spot - the seriously smoked Florida ! - we plan on NOT letting them back in the country !

Duketime

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen the tourists that have come here to Santa Fe. It seems that many of them feel that since they are on vacation anything goes. Of course with us being so shut down at this point in time they might not be finding it as much fun here.
exactly! People do NOT get it! It's NOT the time to travel, anywhere. Period. They see it as benign, but it is NOT. They are putting healthcare workers at risk, selfishly. Yeah they might not get sick... but they might... and that ER room down the road is already full... and they might be asymptomatic, and infect others without knowing. They are the problem, the ones who fell everything will be OK if I wear a mask travelling... NO !! Do not travel... wait for the vaccines, and the vaccines to take affect. Everyone, regardless of what you think, will NOT be safe until at least next September, earliest. Maybe. Stay home and keep the rest of us safe, even if you don't care about yourselves !

Duketime

TUG Member
Reaction score
38 percent of Americans planning on having Thanksgiving dinner with 10 or more people

That is seriously disturbing !! The ignorance of those people is astounding, and selfish, as they do not care about infecting others. All sense to the wind! Bonne chance !