• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Social Security increase

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
With the increase in Social Security, and Medicare I will now net about $100/month less. Oh yes, the premium for my Medicare Supplement plan is going up as well. Welcome to 2021.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the increase in Social Security, and Medicare I will now net about $100/month less. Oh yes, the premium for my Medicare Supplement plan is going up as well. Welcome to 2021.
I'm sorry to hear this.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Wow! That made me check ours. The Medicare went up $3.60 each on ours. Our medical insurance was only about $6 higher. So we will have about $16 each more to spend each month. At least we are not negative.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We made out pretty well with our Medigap policies...
United HealthCare/AARP said no change. Blue Cross will go up about $35.
But our SS - COLA's (1.3%) will cover it.

BTW, Medicare Part B woulda gone up more than $4.00, but Congress imposed a cap.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
How do you calculate this? I have SSA, Medicare Part A, and Medicare Part B. I see the 1.3% increase in Social Security and Medicare Part B for 2021. When I do the math, I'm still on the positive side. Am I missing something?

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
How do you calculate this? I have SSA, Medicare Part A, and Medicare Part B. I see the 1.3% increase in Social Security and Medicare Part B for 2021. When I do the math, I'm still on the positive side. Am I missing something?

Dave
I got a letter from Social Security that showed me the increase for Social Security, and also the increase for Medicare. I got in online, but if you're not signed up for paperless you will probably receive a letter in the mail at some point. It looks like the Medicare premium increased due to our income. It went from roughly $235 to a little over $300.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I haven't seen a letter yet for Cliff. I got one, but because I am just starting a Medicare supplement plan in December, whatever my SS income and outlay for Medicare amounts to I am ahead of the game next year for no longer having an $850/month private insurance bill.

mbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your Medicare premium is based on your income from 2 years ago. If your 2019 return had a higher level of income, you will pay higher premiums through 2021.

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
I just looked at my SS page and no information about COLA or Medicare increase available yet. Medicare supplement increase for myself and husband $70+ per month.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just looked at my SS page and no information about COLA or Medicare increase available yet. Medicare supplement increase for myself and husband $70+ per month.

SSA has a COLA increase of 1.3%. The Medicare premium is also going up 1.3%.

Dave

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My information wasn't on the main page. It was in a separate message. Check the website again and see if you have anything in messages. You may need to be set up for paperless to get this.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
SSA has a COLA increase of 1.3%. The Medicare Part B premium is also going up 1.3%.

Dave
Where did you see that the Medicare Part B is going up 1.3%. I'm not seeing that in the information from Social Security. My math skills are bad these days. I'm trying to figure out what percentage an increase from $202.40 to $297 would be. And since it says the increase is based on my income, wouldn't that make a difference in the percentage increase as well?

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
Good idea Luanne, I just checked both mine & husband's, neither of us have the new notification yet. And we are both paperless. We both have the last years so I would think it would show up soon.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Where did you see that the Medicare Part B is going up 1.3%. I'm not seeing that in the information from Social Security. My math skills are bad these days. I'm trying to figure out what percentage an increase from $202.40 to $297 would be. And since it says the increase is based on my income, wouldn't that make a difference in the percentage increase as well?

I corrected my comment. It was Medicare going up by 1.3%. But I think Part B is too. This page may give more specifics: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sheets/2021-medicare-parts-b-premiums-and-deductibles

Dave

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District

It’s roughly a 50% premium increase in your premium. If you look at the info in this link and the link DaveNV posted you can see what drives the change and what the changes are. Your income could go up $1 and you could get pushed into the higher premium bands. There is no direct % relationship in the increase/decrease in your income to the % increase in your premium.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

It’s roughly a 50% premium increase in your premium. If you look at the info in this link and the link DaveNV posted you can see what drives the change and what the changes are. Your income could go up $1 and you could get pushed into the higher premium bands. There is no direct % relationship in the increase/decrease in your income to the % increase in your premium.
It was the income that did it. We are something like $400 over the bottom of the range that pushes us into the next higher premium. Dh thinks we should appeal. I don't think anyone will care.

Reaction score
Can you appeal? Yes. Will you win? Probably not, unless you can prove it was a one-time increase in income. Social Security calls it an IRMAA, or Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount. I posted in my Medicare Advantage post about Medicare raising the Part-B premium to $148. Because Medicare got slammed hard with Coronavirus ICU hospitalizations, they were going to raise the premiums past $160/month, but Congress' "cap" just allowed those few dollars.

Still, we are still in the MAPD/Annual Enrollment Period until December 7th. If you need to, you can switch to a lower-cost MAPD plan. If you're healthy, your area MAY have a Part-B "rebate" plan where the HMO will pay part (usually $75-$100/month) of your Part-B premiums! I say "healthy", because to give everyone money back, the copays are higher than on an HMO. Or maybe a PPO, where you choose your doctors, copays are slightly higher than HMOs, but they save a lot of money (only pay the Part-B, no Part-D or MAPD premiums).

TS

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Part B is going up from like $144 per month to $148.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
It was the income that did it. We are something like $400 over the bottom of the range that pushes us into the next higher premium. Dh thinks we should appeal. I don't think anyone will care.

Is that income on a monthly basis or annual basis??

Reaction score
I forgot to add (yes it is on my Medicare link), if you signed up for a MAPD this year, you can change it if you find a cheaper plan, the only MAPD plan that matters is the one that is on your account at 11:59:59pm in your time zone on December 7th. If your IRMAA and/or current plan makes things a little too expensive, change it! An agent can help you find a less-expensive plan.

TS

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Can you appeal? Yes. Will you win? Probably not, unless you can prove it was a one-time increase in income. Social Security calls it an IRMAA, or Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount. I posted in my Medicare Advantage post about Medicare raising the Part-B premium to $148. Because Medicare got slammed hard with Coronavirus ICU hospitalizations, they were going to raise the premiums past $160/month, but Congress' "cap" just allowed those few dollars.

Still, we are still in the MAPD/Annual Enrollment Period until December 7th. If you need to, you can switch to a lower-cost MAPD plan. If you're healthy, your area MAY have a Part-B "rebate" plan where the HMO will pay part (usually $75-$100/month) of your Part-B premiums! I say "healthy", because to give everyone money back, the copays are higher than on an HMO. Or maybe a PPO, where you choose your doctors, copays are slightly higher than HMOs, but they save a lot of money (only pay the Part-B, no Part-D or MAPD premiums).

TS
It most likely is a one time increase.

I'm assuming MAPD is a Medicare Advantage plan? If so we have no interest in that. Both dh and I were able to find less expensive supplement plans through an agent, but both of us would have been denied due to medical conditions. As our agent said, we're covered, we have coverage through a good company and we can't be thrown off the plan we're on. Our agent is not a fan of the Medicare Advantage Plan and said his company doesn't even offer them.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
IDK about the cost increase for Medicare yet. Took me awhile to qualify for Social Security since I spent the majority of my career in the public school retirement system, but finally got in my 40 quarters a couple years ago so my Medicare premiums are now covered with a little extra in my pocket each month in addition.

This is the good news email I received earlier this month:
One-Time Health Care Premium Rebate Approved​
Plan year 2020 health care utilization has been less than projected — largely due to COVID-19 — with additional savings expected through the end of the plan year. The State Teachers Retirement Board approved a premium rebate of $250 for each enrollee covered by an STRS Ohio medical plan in October 2020, to be paid in the December pension payment.​

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
We’re in exactly the same situation. We are $365 over and our premium will be an additional $59.40. It’s not a huge deal for us as we can get reimbursed $800 of Medicare premium by our secondary insurer. That will cover the additional amount for next year.