• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Update In Person School

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Months ago I noted that my Daughter's 3 kid's medium size K-12 Christian School in a medium size Texas city started in person classes in early August. Parents, Teachers and Administration sat down together and worked out the protocols. That was about 3 months ago. Yesterday I asked my Daughter how things have gone. She told me there have been 2 cases of COVID-19, one of which happened to be her Daughters 3rd (or maybe it is 4th) grade teacher. She said all in all everything is going well. I'm curious how others have fared...

George

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Schools are being closed with little to no evidence that schools are spreaders of Covid19. We still believe that if correct protocols are followed it is best to keep inperson schooling. The harm done to children by online teaching is so great.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Months ago I noted that my Daughter's 3 kid's medium size K-12 Christian School in a medium size Texas city started in person classes in early August. Parents, Teachers and Administration sat down together and worked out the protocols. That was about 3 months ago. Yesterday I asked my Daughter how things have gone. She told me there have been 2 cases of COVID-19, one of which happened to be her Daughters 3rd (or maybe it is 4th) grade teacher. She said all in all everything is going well. I'm curious how others have fared...

George
Good for them.

Here in the greater Chicago area the private schools have done an incredible job keeping schools open (with some short-term exceptions here & there) while educating their students in-person.

The public schools are a hot mess.

As an aside, I am actively house hunting in IN specifically because of this issue.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Schools are being closed with little to no evidence that schools are spreaders of Covid19. We still believe that if correct protocols are followed it is best to keep inperson schooling. The harm done to children by online teaching is so great.

As someone who works in the public schools, I can offer two observations based on the 3 months (or so) of school we have completed here.
Schools are indeed a place where COVID-19 CAN be spread - and we are seeing it in Arkansas.

BUT...

And as you indicated above, adherence to protocols quickly evaporated. Our schools only requested (not required) masks for kids age 10 and below AND even for those kids required to wear masks, enforcement quickly ebbed. COVID numbers have increased in the surrounding community and in our school. Which caused the other to occur is hard to know but schools are a place where large numbers of people (mostly kids but significant numbers of adults) interact. What I think has accelerated the COVID numbers in and around schools has been the insistence on continuing to play sports because in our state, it seems a lot of the breakouts in a school are traceable back to sports teams.

Just an observation...

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My two grandsons (CA public school) have been doing distance learning since September. The hope was that in person school would start after New Years. This week, the date was changed to March 1. (This was not good news for my CPA daughter.)

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter is in 8th grade in a private school. the entire school has been in person since the start. They have taken a grade level pod approach. Students and teachers in a pod stick with one another and that pod has defined spaces inside and outside. Defined bathrooms too.

The school certainly has its hands full juggling this, but so far things have worked out well. there has been 3 confirmed cases so far. That pod automatically goes into remote learning for two weeks and anyone associated with the pod (sibling) can't return until negative tests around. My daughters pod had a confirmed case and there was not one moment I was ever concerned that she would have caught Covid from whoever it was. There protocols are more than CDC requirements and they are strict about every one. Out of 3 cases so far, there has been no transmission that has occurred within the school as a result.

Thanksgiving will have its new set of challenges. The kids are off the week of Thanksgiving and the Monday after. Tuesday they will start remote but each child will need to go to school at a scheduled time for a Covid test. Wed and thurs will remain remote and all those that are negative will return in person on Friday.

I hope it continues to go this well and they keep there doors open.

The only part I don't like is the scenario of non-school exposure to my child. Example: If my mother tested positive and my daughter had spent the afternoon with her. My daughter would need to quarantine for 14 days or test out after 10. During that time she would be out "sick" from school and have no education opportunity. I would be curious to see how other schools handle this.

When she was exposed to an in-school person, the whole pod went remote so that scenario isn't an issue.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We are hybrid...I go every day in person, kids go either Mon/Thurs or Tues/Friday. I have a group of selected invitees with me on Wednesdays. So far, it's been fine. Mask wearing is mandatory. No mask=no school. Kids have not given us one iota of problem over it. They WANT to be in school. A couple of the elementary schools in our district have resumed fulltime hours, and so far, no problem. The elementary school right next door to me (where my own children went back in the day) has been FT from the start. No issues there either.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are hybrid...I go every day in person, kids go either Mon/Thurs or Tues/Friday. I have a group of selected invitees with me on Wednesdays. So far, it's been fine. Mask wearing is mandatory. No mask=no school. Kids have not given us one iota of problem over it. They WANT to be in school. A couple of the elementary schools in our district have resumed fulltime hours, and so far, no problem. The elementary school right next door to me (where my own children went back in the day) has been FT from the start. No issues there either.
Seriously green with envy

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My kids are in public school here, which is open in person. Everyone had the option of doing virtual at the beginning of September, and some people did.

Their elementary school with 450 kids had its first case last week, so that class is virtual for 14 days. Masks are required, and I've never seen a kid without one at pickup or drop off. My kids say everyone wears them except when eating lunch.

They are strictly keeping kids in their class groups (recess is in a defined outdoor space separated by class).

Spread here has gone up dramatically in the last month or so though, so I'm expecting more cases in the school. I figure if the kids get 90% in person and 10% virtual this year that is still better. They didn't do well when things went virtual in the spring. We had talked about homeschooling if virtual was going to be the only option.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Public and private in my town are doing very well. The mask mandate and spacing is followed, and kids do not fuss! The students are sectioned in pods too, so only those groups take two weeks of virtual if exposed. The covid rate has remained fairly low, and the virus is not being spread at school. The contact tracing reveals it is from outside events the kids went to, or from their family members. Other towns in our county are pretty much back to virtual. I don't know what they are doing differently, but obviously they don't have the same strict protocols in place.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
duplicate

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter is in 8th grade in a private school. They have taken a grade level pod approach. Students and teachers in a pod stick with one another and that pod has defined spaces inside and outside. Defined bathrooms too.

This is pretty much what my Daughter's kid's school has done with great success. Seems like private schools have pretty well figured it out...

George

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
My kids are in public school here, which is open in person. Everyone had the option of doing virtual at the beginning of September, and some people did.

Their elementary school with 450 kids had its first case last week, so that class is virtual for 14 days. Masks are required, and I've never seen a kid without one at pickup or drop off. My kids say everyone wears them except when eating lunch.

They are strictly keeping kids in their class groups (recess is in a defined outdoor space separated by class).
We’re just up the road from you and this has been our experience as well. Protocols are being followed well. Our school had one student who self-isolated because they were exposed at home (subsequently tested negative). The school let all parents know immediately- so communication was good - but the class was taken online for a couple of weeks. While grades K-3 were exempt from masking rules, the school is now strongly encouraging them to wear them.

Any cases in the schools seem to be a reflection of the community rather than spreaders. The number of schools on our provincial watchlist has dropped by 27% even as the daily cases have increased by more than 10X the levels they were at earlier.
Given the rise in cases recently, I think we will see grades 10-12 go back to virtual. K-9 will probably stay in person for now given the data.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays

We started out hybrid with special ed kids coming in all 5 days. On November 9th, we went back to 4 days a week (special ed still in every day). However, the parents were notified that if they chose to send their children in every day, there will be no social distancing. There is no way in our district to keep desks 6 feet apart. Most of the parents continued to send their children to school. The district installed plastic shields on all desks.

In NY there are very strict requirements about keeping kids in school . If they have even one symptom of Covid (and almost everything is a symptom of Covid) they have to be sent home and may not return without a negative Covid test or a confirmed alternate diagnosis (like strep throat, influenza - no "common cold, upper respiratory infection, etc").

We have over 9,000 students in the district, and we have sent hundreds home with this criteria. I think 3 have turned up positive. However, the cases were not traced to school, but the community. One was directly traced to Halloween. I believe that with our safety measures in place, students and staff are relatively safe in school.

We have had several dozen cases, however, and they have all been from home/community. When a student turns up positive, the close contacts in school have to quarantine at home for 14 days. Prior to the return to full time school, hardly anyone was deemed a close contact because all desks were 6 feet apart and masks are worn at all times. A few times a school closed for a couple of days while the health department was figuring out who to quarantine. Last week I had 2 nurses out on quarantine, one for a student exposure and one for a family exposure. Several teachers were out due to contact quarantines. These quarantines are putting a strain on the school staffing. I fear that when the second wave comes (it is starting to heat up again), we won't have the staff to allow schools to stay open.

If a school district has entered the yellow zone, the only way to stay open is to test 20% of the school population weekly. That means 2,000 tests between the students and the staff members. I do not have any idea how the 13 school nurses will be able to perform those along with the clinic visits and the case management of all of the students out, requiring medical documentation to return. Apparently only RNs can administer the tests. I have a meeting about it on Tuesday, and I am dreading it.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We are hybrid since early Sept. Ours is half day hybrid 4x/wk w/ every other Wednesday. SPED children are allowed to attend an extra hour or 2. So far, we have had 17 cases w/ the majority adults, who were not teachers or school personnel specific to the school. The concern is really at the high school level.
Because cases have increased, all children on campus must wear a mask. Schools are still a closed campus.
There is discussion of possibly returning FT which would not happen until Feb timeframe. It will be a staggered process w/ elementary returning FT first.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
60 Minutes had a segment tonight on how many kids are getting lost and not participating in any type of schooling. One School District in Florida started with 7,000 missing kids. Through a lot of hard work, many people, and many months they got it down to 700 missing.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
60 Minutes had a segment tonight on how many kids are getting lost and not participating in any type of schooling. One School District in Florida started with 7,000 missing kids. Through a lot of hard work, many people, and many months they got it down to 700 missing.

This shouldn’t be happening at all.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I've heard that, too - everywhere. It makes sense. A large percentage of kids are living in poverty. These families move a lot. Not surprised at all, and it is very sad.

Lots of return to remote learning here in AZ and from time to time, the small, rural schools in my IN county have done remote learning for a couple of weeks at a time. It's got to be a game changer. Sounds like there will be no more "Snow Days" in the future.

My dear D-I-L teaches at an inner city Catholic school where the curriculum is funded and run by Notre Dame. The students are neighborhood kids and nearly 100% Hispanic. Even before the Pandemic, my DIL would pick up and drop off kids to their homes when parents were lax about getting yunguns to school. It is that tight of a knit community, and it happens! My DIL is that dedicated to their educational and social growth.

They ended and began the year with remote learning and slowly brought back the youngest grades and half the class at a time until all her kids were back late September. It goes without saying that they wear masks and distance and there is a new way of doing things.

Because the parents have jobs which do not allow for WFH, it was thought that nearly everyone already had the virus or had been exposed. They are all doing just fine!
My DIL was exposed through a family gathering, took the test, negative, offered to quarantine. Nope, as long as her test was negative, she was at work. End of story. She never got it nor did she pass it along.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard that, too - everywhere. It makes sense. A large percentage of kids are living in poverty. These families move a lot. Not surprised at all, and it is very sad.

Lots of return to remote learning here in AZ and from time to time, the small, rural schools in my IN county have done remote learning for a couple of weeks at a time. It's got to be a game changer. Sounds like there will be no more "Snow Days" in the future.

My dear D-I-L teaches at an inner city Catholic school where the curriculum is funded and run by Notre Dame. The students are neighborhood kids and nearly 100% Hispanic. Even before the Pandemic, my DIL would pick up and drop off kids to their homes when parents were lax about getting yunguns to school. It is that tight of a knit community, and it happens! My DIL is that dedicated to their educational and social growth.

They ended and began the year with remote learning and slowly brought back the youngest grades and half the class at a time until all her kids were back late September. It goes without saying that they wear masks and distance and there is a new way of doing things.

Because the parents have jobs which do not allow for WFH, it was thought that nearly everyone already had the virus or had been exposed. They are all doing just fine!
My DIL was exposed through a family gathering, took the test, negative, offered to quarantine. Nope, as long as her test was negative, she was at work. End of story. She never got it nor did she pass it along.

As far as I’m concerned, the private schools deserve a standing ovation for what they have done in 2020

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Caught the end of it. Very sad.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a hot mess here in NY.

My grandchildren (one in first grade and two same school/pre-school two days a week for 2 1/2 hours pre-COVID).

My granddaughter (first grade) has Zoom every Monday, Tuesday and even other Wednesday. In Class every other Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Must wear mask. Lunch - individual paper bag brought in and any remainder of anything/garbage. My two grandsons (twins) - do go in Tuesday and Wednesday for their 2 1/2 hours with mask.

A class may be required to stay home for 24 hours or two weeks depending on the number of cases. Most recently the whole school had to close for two weeks. (It all depends on the number of cases per class/school/staff/students). In the meantime, Cuomo had shut down just private schools. This did not last long. The archdiocese went after him. The private schools have no funding for testing. The schools re-opened.

Public school - I am not 100% sure - but I believe you have both in class and the option of remote. They also have to follow more or less same protocols depending on the number of COVID cases in the school. They do have to test 20% of the students/staff (or something like this). They are very close to being shut down again.

Some schools/daycare - that offer up to pre-k - are in full days - 5 days a week. Why? I know the younger, are less vulnerable to it - other than that, not sure why these kids and the staff can go in 5 days a week.

Private schools will be getting funding for testing now too.

It's a day to day, see how the numbers are approach.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY

Kudos to the Public School district in Florida for hiring social workers to track down the children who've not returned to school. From the 60 Minutes segment, it appears that poverty and family issues are the main factor in missing school. It is concerning that evictions will increase with the new year resulting in even more impoverished children losing their homes. I was especially touched by the young woman who who is just a semester away from earning her diploma- the first in her family to achieve that- and happy to see that she was back in school, thanks to the dedication of the social worker and principal.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Freehold Regional High School District in NJ has a optional hybrid program. A student can work remotely 100% or can attend school either Mon/Tues or Thurs/Fri with alternating Wednesdays depending on the first letter of your last name.

My daughters who are attending the hybrid program says it is mostly empty and have some classes with no other students in the classroom. Elizabeth wants to attend 100% remote learning, but Danielle want to continue to attend the hybrid program as she taking Architecture II and likes to use the draft tables in the classroom.

Joe

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The private school that I work at is fully in person with masks on at this point. Public schools do not require masks when in class at this point in this area. We've had 5 exposures, with the local health authority tracing a handful of staff and students each time and directing them to self-isolate for a period of time. The social and emotional value of in-person school ranks right up at the top of essential services, but keeping schools safely open requires sacrifices from other members of society to cut down their contacts/spread.