• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Potential Diabetes cure developed by Canadian scientist

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Thanks for the link, Alabama Doctor! my 2 youngest grandsons are Type 1, both diagnosed at age 11 and are insulin-dependent. Unfortunately, the article does not specify the type of diabetes which might benefit from this breakthrough. Thankfully, they both are able to manage their disease, although being college-age does present somewhat more of a challenge for them.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Thanks for the link, Alabama Doctor! my 2 youngest grandsons are Type 1, both diagnosed at age 11 and are insulin-dependent. Unfortunately, the article does not specify the type of diabetes which might benefit from this breakthrough. Thankfully, they both are able to manage their disease, although being college-age does present somewhat more of a challenge for them.

The link within the article indicates this could work with both types of Diabetes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brett

Reaction score

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Diabetes runs in my wife’s family. She’s lost a brother and sister to complications and 3 other siblings have it. DW has been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and has been able to manage it and stay at that level for several years.

Btw, I’m not a doctor and have very little (if any) medical knowledge. ;) I just saw this article this morning and I know how prevalent the disease is, so I thought many of you would find it interesting. I certainly hope the study leads to a cure.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is unlikely to see this research become reality and applied in my life time. Diabetes runs in my maternal side of the family and so far I have managed to steer clear of it by dietary restrictions. I try to limit my carb intake to below 100 grams on non-exercise days and up to no more than 150 gram on golf days. My former PCP in California used to tell me that other than those who are born (type 1) diabetic, everyone is pre-diabetic and the less you consume carbohydrates the less likely that you will develop diabetes. It is because pancreas has limited lifetime production of insulin and you don't want it to run out on you in your lifetime. It is the best piece of medical advice that I have had.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It is unlikely to see this research become reality and applied in my life time. Diabetes runs in my maternal side of the family and so far I have managed to steer clear of it by dietary restrictions. I try to limit my carb intake to below 100 grams on non-exercise days and up to no more than 150 gram on golf days. My former PCP in California used to tell me that other than those who are born (type 1) diabetic, everyone is pre-diabetic and the less you consume carbohydrates the less likely that you will develop diabetes. It is because pancreas has limited lifetime production of insulin and you don't want it to run out on you in your lifetime. It is the best piece of medical advice that I have had.

Your PCP is incorrect about the hypothesis that the pancreas has limited lifetime production of insulin.
They may have wanted you to think about it like that way as it beneficial to eat properly for people with high blood sugar and elevated A1c levels.

It is true that there is a link between carbohydrate intake and type 2 diabetes for a ‘Typical Patient’, but it is more complicated than that simple statement as there are many known and unknown covariates (intrinsic and extrinsic factors) involved in the disease progression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
This is exciting. I have friends with both kinds of Diabetes whose lives havve improved with recent medication changes like that patch, but still not enough.
However, always be wary about how applicable animal research is to human disease. There are many many many things that are 'cured' in mice that don't work in humans.

My former PCP in California used to tell me that other than those who are born (type 1) diabetic, everyone is pre-diabetic and the less you consume carbohydrates the less likely that you will develop diabetes.
This is simply untrue.

There are tons of epi studies showing that generally speaking, populations that consume large amounts of carbohydrates have lower rates of diabetes. Of course there are many other factors involved...

There are many factors involved in carbohydrate consumption: simple vs complex carbs (complex is best), time of meal and circadian rhythm (earlier in the day is better), the rest of the diet (the less processed the better, don't eat too many calories regardless of what type)

There are many factors that go into insulin resistance: muscle mass (higher is better), obesity (less overweight the better), gut microbiome, family history, soda, etc etc

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are tons of epi studies showing that generally speaking, populations that consume large amounts of carbohydrates have lower rates of diabetes. Of course there are many other factors involved...
Bingo.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is exciting. I have friends with both kinds of Diabetes whose lives havve improved with recent medication changes like that patch, but still not enough.
However, always be wary about how applicable animal research is to human disease. There are many many many things that are 'cured' in mice that don't work in humans.

This is simply untrue.

There are many factors involved in carbohydrate consumption: simple vs complex carbs (complex is best), time of meal and circadian rhythm (earlier in the day is better), the rest of the diet (the less processed the better, don't eat too many calories regardless of what type)

There are many factors that go into insulin resistance: muscle mass (higher is better), obesity (less overweight the better), gut microbiome, family history, soda, etc etc
What epi studies? More people in Asia get diabetes at the same BMI as people in the US. An Asian with a BMI of 25 has the same risk diabetes of an American with a BMI 30. It is attributed to high carb diet in the region.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Ah, the old "further research is needed" routine used to justify NIH funding.

My ex was a microbiologist who studied mitochondrial DNA inheritance in mice.
Once, she showed me some allegedly easy-to-read medical studies.
All ended with the phrase, "further research is needed" (to continue their grants).

I said that there should be a "Journal of Final Results," in which all studies would say:
"Now, we have all the answers we need on this topic and will be moving on."

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
My wife has actually worked in the OR in the past with Dr. Shapiro. He is an incredibly gifted scientist and has done wonders in advancing transplant techniques for treating diabetes.

Reaction score
I don't think homo sapiens have a "limited supply" of Insulin, but I see the Pancreas simply can't compensate for high-sugar high-carbohydrate meals. For those who may not know, the way it works is, carbohydrates are used for energy (sugars). What the body does not need is stored as fat. Then, once the body does not have the fuel it needs, it converts fat into sugars to then be used as energy. In a way, excessive amounts of sugars and carbohydrates abuse the Pancreas to the point it breaks down, creating Type-2 Diabetes. That is similar to the Liver in alcoholics, it breaks down the ethanol, but too much ethanol work causes damage known as Cirrhosis.

TS

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Virus and Type 1? A German physician acquaintance of mine suggested that our grandsons developed Type 1 due to a viral infection side effect. I never mentioned his remark to my DD as I feared she'd feel guilt that their diabetes was related to something she did or didn't do. There is no family history of Type 1 on either side.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
What epi studies?

Consider looking at these:

I found this about Asian-Americans having diabetes at lower BMIs than Euro-Americans: the Asian-Americans had a higher portion of visceral fat. That's more likely due to sedentary lifestyle than anything about diet. Visceral fat is the deadly fat that's impossible to see except on an MRI. It has a different density than subcutaneous fat. Subcutaneous fat is the fat we can see and squeeze. Visceral fat is a far more dangerous type of fat but active people have less of it, regardless of diet, weight, or BMI.

Please also understand that when I suggest people eat carbs I am not saying go eat a bunch of candy. I am saying don't fear whole grains and legumes.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Consider looking at these:

I found this about Asian-Americans having diabetes at lower BMIs than Euro-Americans: the Asian-Americans had a higher portion of visceral fat. That's more likely due to sedentary lifestyle than anything about diet. Visceral fat is the deadly fat that's impossible to see except on an MRI. It has a different density than subcutaneous fat. Subcutaneous fat is the fat we can see and squeeze. Visceral fat is a far more dangerous type of fat but active people have less of it, regardless of diet, weight, or BMI.

Please also understand that when I suggest people eat carbs I am not saying go eat a bunch of candy. I am saying don't fear whole grains and legumes.
In the first part of your post is about low carb diet in relation to weight loss. It has nothing to do with whether high carb diet will lead to diabetes or not.

In your second post, the article acknowledges that Asians have higher incidents of diabetes at lower BMI and its objective is to emphasis screening for diabetes at BMI 23 for Asian-Americans. Diet and lifestyle were not included in the study.