• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Affiliation restricted when the resort exchanges through RCI and II?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I own a week at Spinnaker’s French Quarter Resort in Branson. Before Spinnaker took over management, the resort was affiliated with RCI. Now the resort lists as affiliated with II and I’ve confirmed with II that it does indeed exchange through them and that they will accept my week. However, when I called Spinnaker, they refuse to release my week to II unless it’s released by their “sales staff.”

I sense they’re trying to “encourage” owners to update their ownership into one of their new and improved programs and are holding II membership as leverage.

Assuming they deny my ability to choose the company I want to exchange thru, which would be II, what do others think are my options for forcing the issue?

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Waterside by Spinnaker on HHI. I will be anxious to hear answers to your question as how it will effect Spinnaker owners.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Many Spinnaker properties were originally associated with RCI. They moved to II but at least in Hilton Head they altered the program they were selling and only associated the new type of sales with II. They originally sold deeded weeks and possibly deeded float weeks. Spinnaker took their unsold inventory and created several trusts which they called spinnaker flexible options. Owners with deeds continue to exchange through RCI. Only beneficial interests in one of the trusts can exchange through II. They also restrict peak summer week deposits for trust owners even if they could reserve those weeks for personal use. Resales are eligible but only trust resales not deeded resales.

I don't think there is a way to force the issue as long as the HOA refuses to enter into an agreement with II for deeded owners.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Many Spinnaker properties were originally associated with RCI. They moved to II but at least in Hilton Head they altered the program they were selling and only associated the new type of sales with II. They originally sold deeded weeks and possibly deeded float weeks. Spinnaker took their unsold inventory and created several trusts which they called spinnaker flexible options. Owners with deeds continue to exchange through RCI. Only beneficial interests in one of the trusts can exchange through II. They also restrict peak summer week deposits for trust owners even if they could reserve those weeks for personal use. Resales are eligible but only trust resales not deeded resales.

I don't think there is a way to force the issue as long as the HOA refuses to enter into an agreement with II for deeded owners.

Interesting. I called II and gave them my ownership information. They checked it and then added my French Quarter ownership to my II account. I extended my membership to be able to add the week. If Spinnaker won’t allow the deposit of this ownership week, then I’ll cancel my II membership after we complete our last exchange.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Interesting. I called II and gave them my ownership information. They checked it and then added my French Quarter ownership to my II account. I extended my membership to be able to add the week. If Spinnaker won’t allow the deposit of this ownership week, then I’ll cancel my II membership after we complete our last exchange.
My experience has specifically been with Hilton Head Resorts so I don't have experience with the Branson resorts; it is possible that you can deposit but spoke to the wrong person at Spinnaker.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I’m wondering how anti-trust laws might come into play since the resorts and resort management has an affiliation with both exchange companies? Perhaps the HOA’s have one agreement, and whatever sort of trust company spinnaker has set up has a different agreement, which would allow resorts previously not affiliated with II to now exchange thru II.

If that’s the case, I’ll be seeing if I can get a refund be cancelling the remainder of the time left on my II membership. I have no use for RCI and their fees