• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ads posted in the discussion forums - suggestion for mods

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Many new users come to TUG and end up placing their timeshare ad in a discussion forum. That ad gets deleted quickly by the mods with a comment "Deleted. Ads are not permitted in the discussion forums". For someone new to TUG I believe that this is confusing. One could take it that no timeshare ads are permitted at all on TUG. To help those new to TUG I have a suggestion that when deleting the improperly placed ad to also include a link to the "Bargain Deals Forum Rules". I think that this will help put the OP on the right track. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Many (most?) improperly placed ads are NOT bargain deals, so referring everyone to the Bargain Deals rules is not the best solution. Also, many times the moderator will send a private message to the poster with a fuller explanation.

Here is the boilerplate response I use when removing an ad:
[Message text deleted. Advertising is NOT permitted in public posts to this forum. Please review the TUG BBS Posting Rules. Makai Guy, TUG BBS Administrator]
The Advertising section of the overall posting rules is more all-encompassing.

Reactions: RX8

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many (most?) improperly placed ads are NOT bargain deals, so referring everyone to the Bargain Deals rules is not the best solution. Also, many times the moderator will send a private message to the poster with a fuller explanation.

Here is the boilerplate response I use when removing an ad:

The Advertising section of the overall posting rules is more all-encompassing.
That is great, but will a new TUG person know where to find this information; before posting their AD.

Reactions: RX8

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
This is the thread that got me thinking about this.

Deleting the improperly placed ad can be construed as a bit harsh by a new poster, even if it is warranted. Some may end up finding out how to go about placing a proper ad but I would guess that there are others that are never heard from again.

I tried to assist with my post to the OP but it would go a long way if, when deleting the ad, we also provided clear direction on how to place that ad (free or for a price). If we are already doing this in PM’s to the poster than that is great. If not, then adding the “how to” would be a positive thing. Maybe it might even help drive some TUG memberships.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
note that the OP is usually also sent a message explaining why the post was deleted as part of the "delete" option within xenforo.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
That is great, but will a new TUG person know where to find this information; before posting their AD.
With the standard Xenforo registration form, when registering they must check a box saying they agree to our terms, with a link to those terms. We can't make them click the link and read the terms they are agreeing to. That link goes the same place as the TUG BBS Posting Rules link in my boilerplate. It can also be reached by the Rules link in the blue bar at the top of the page, and the Help link at the bottom of the page.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
With the standard Xenforo registration form, when registering they must check a box saying they agree to our terms, with a link to those terms. We can't make them click the link and read the terms they are agreeing to. That link goes the same place as the TUG BBS Posting Rules link in my boilerplate. It can also be reached by the Rules link in the blue bar at the top of the page, and the Help link at the bottom of the page.
Excellent.