• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

options for expiring banked points

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister has DVC points that she banked and will expire the end of March 2021. What are her options as she will not be able to use them? Thanks!

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rent them through a broker or deposit into RCI to trade for another timeshare in the next 2 yrs

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
She could also rent them directly rather than via a broker. The DISboards has a DVC Rent/Trade forum (https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/), although if she doesn’t post there regularly she would have to pay to list. I believe there are also Facebook groups where she could post her points for rent. She could also transfer them to another DVC member, although that requires mutual trust on both sides of the transaction.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Cant transfer banked points.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
She could also rent them directly rather than via a broker. The DISboards has a DVC Rent/Trade forum (https://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/), although if she doesn’t post there regularly she would have to pay to list. I believe there are also Facebook groups where she could post her points for rent. She could also transfer them to another DVC member, although that requires mutual trust on both sides of the transaction.
Thank you. I had forgotten about disboards!

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Cant transfer banked points.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thank you. I had forgotten about disboards!
Sorry, I had forgotten they’re banked points (hadn’t had enough coffee yet, I guess) and can’t be transferred. So renting and deposit to RCI are the only options.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Mouseowners has a rental board as well.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister has DVC points that she banked and will expire the end of March 2021. What are her options as she will not be able to use them? Thanks!
I'd just make a reservation and offer for rent like Redweeks or similar.

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! My sister decided to make a reservation and list it with Dave's.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
The renters have been horrible. They dictate how much they will pay and most of the time it is less than MF. And I think that David's had a HUGE fiasco this year.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
personally, I'd book a studio and list on last minute rentals on TUG at 45 days out. I've done that before and had multiple requests within a day. You can only rent for $115/night, but it'll usually cover annual fees of $8 point if you book AKV standard or OKW.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The renters have been horrible. They dictate how much they will pay and most of the time it is less than MF. And I think that David's had a HUGE fiasco this year.
Isn't that how it usually works? The renter and owner come to an agreement on what the payment will be. A renter can dictate how much they are willing to pay, it works that way for timeshare rentals as it does for any good or service sold on the open market.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't that how it usually works? The renter and owner come to an agreement on what the payment will be. A renter can dictate how much they are willing to pay, it works that way for timeshare rentals as it does for any good or service sold on the open market.

Renters are demanding cost per point that is lower than maintenance fees. So no, I'm pretty sure that you can't walk in to any store and demand that they subsidize your purchase and get your way.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Renters are demanding cost per point that is lower than maintenance fees. So no, I'm pretty sure that you can't walk in to any store and demand that they subsidize your purchase and get your way.
I don't mind a give and take but I'd rather lose the points than give it away. Thus they can ask or demand all they want. If they ask I may say no, if they demand I WILL say no. My choice and theirs same as any other purchase where there is some potential negotiation as there often is even at the box stores.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure anyone is demanding anything, are they? Just making an offer that you can accept or decline. If they demand something, then like @Dean , the answer is no. But you could also say yes. There are also plenty of situations where a purchase in a store may be below cost.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
I think that’s an odd way to look at it, too. Most places I see-either private or companies like David-are $12-$20 ppm, so significantly higher than maintenance fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
so, I know I'm in the minority on rental fees for DVC, but I get a cheap studio, list on last minute to established tuggers only (or those who provide references from established tuggers) and rent for about $9.5-11/point ($115/night max), which covers my annual fees plus some extra. In a few hours, I've rented to a tugger, who knows he/she is getting a great deal. I've then just email the same person(s) when I have extra points. No concerns for being stiffed, damage, etc. I'm not in, and don't want to be, in the rental business. I could make more listing on disboards, etc. but it's not worth the hassle IMHO.

Last edited:

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is an update. My sister made a reservation at the Boardwalk for the end of May and listed on Dave's in November. Today it sold. She is happy with $14.50/point.