• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DaveNV: Making a Home in the Desert

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I measured the space inside the kitchen, so I knew the fridge would fit the niche. But I didn’t even think about getting it through doorways to get TO the kitchen. That was where the squeeze points came in. It was a great reminder that bigger isn’t always the easiest way to go.

Dave

I hate our fridge. It is counter depth and I can’t fit stuff in it. But the kitchen is small and I didn’t want to compromise counter and cabinet space.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I hate our fridge. It is counter depth and I can’t fit stuff in it. But the kitchen is small and I didn’t want to compromise counter and cabinet space.

I had this same fridge in counter depth at my last house, because the fridge niche was right around a blind corner. If a regular fridge was put there, it was easy to crash into it when coming around that corner. I didn’t care for the size of it either. This one is full sized, and ready for actual food keeping. :)

It’s a snazzy fridge, for sure. The window is a grab-and-go section, which is very convenient for getting a quick drink or whatever. The upper drawer can be temperature controlled as either refrigerator or freezer space. Really useful. I like this model a lot.

Dave

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The kitchen looks great! The refrigerator is snazzy for sure. I've been looking at similar ones as ours is 12 years old. I hope the one I currently have will last a long time, but it seems that appliance life is not as long as it used to be.

Appliances are basically personal preference.
  • Our top load washer uses so little water that the clothes are barely covered (it weighs the dry clothes) and I don't think the detergent rinses out, so always use 2nd rinse option. I have started using the comforter setting so that I have enough water to see that they are swishing around. I did not want front-load because you need to leave the door open to let humidity escape.
  • I love my counter-depth refrigerator. We do have a blind corner so that was why we chose it. ,But I do like having 4-1/2 feet between the wall cabinets and the island.
  • As for my built-in microwave, that was a wrong choice as I am vertically challenged to reach over the door and get stuff out! :)
  • I always had electric ranges until we moved here and had gas. I really like, it, but cleaning the 6 burner range is the pits.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Glad to got everything in! It's a good thing that we have three sets of French doors across the back of our house as it is very difficult to get in and make a turn in our narrow front foyer. Some lazier movers have wanted to try anyway rather than carry the item to the back of the house but most see right away that it is the best option.

We love the quality of the picture of our LG OLED TV. However....you know that was coming, didn't you....I guess since we primarily watch two channels, the network symbol for each is permanently imprinted as a somewhat faded symbol in the background of every channel. It's about three or four years old.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The kitchen looks great! The refrigerator is snazzy for sure. I've been looking at similar ones as ours is 12 years old.

[*]I always had electric ranges until we moved here and had gas. I really like, it, but cleaning the 6 burner range is the pits.

Thanks! It isn’t over the top, (by choice), but OCD-me likes that they match. The appliances I gave away when we bought this house were three brand names between four pieces, two were twelve years old, one was about four years old, and one was about a year old. For being just a year old, it looked very worn out. As I mentioned, I had this same suite before, and they’re great.

The one difference is that we had gas at the old house. Mesquite is only just now getting gas installed for new-builds. I’m told it won’t be available for retroactive installs for many years. So, we go back to electric. This new range is the electric version of the gas one we had before.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Glad to got everything in! It's a good thing that we have three sets of French doors across the back of our house as it is very difficult to get in and make a turn in our narrow front foyer. Some lazier movers have wanted to try anyway rather than carry the item to the back of the house but most see right away that it is the best option.

We love the quality of the picture of our LG OLED TV. However....you know that was coming, didn't you....I guess since we primarily watch two channels, the network symbol for each is permanently imprinted as a somewhat faded symbol in the background of every channel. It's about three or four years old.

I don’t think it is supposed to burn in like that. I’d ask LG about it. You might be able to get some great service from them.

Dave

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So after what seemed like forEVER, we finally, FINALLY have kitchen appliances. Yay!! After more than nine weeks on order and in shipment, they arrived yesterday. I was more than a bit apprehensive to see the damage to the cardboard shipping boxes. They were pretty shredded in places. My worst nightmare would have been if the appliances had been damaged in shipment, and would have to be sent back. But I opened and examined each item while the trucking company guys stood there waiting. The Vendor had been very specific, that if I accepted them without noting any damage, I was on the hook for any repairs. Luckily, nothing was damaged. Makes me very glad for little miracles. :D

Then, this morning at 8:00 prompt, a local company I'd hired arrived to install the appliances for me. New challenges: I hadn't considered that these were new and improved, 2020-year appliances, and the house has 12 year old doorways. So it caused a bit of head scratching. How to fit that enormous fridge through those not-so enormous doorways? In the end, they had to remove the doors from the fridge, no small feat. There were wires and cabling and connections and water hoses and whatnot all over the place. I have no idea how he did it, but the guy was obviously very experienced at what he was doing. Even so, it still took him over an hour to dismantle things enough to get the main fridge part through the doorways. But it did finally fit through the doorway. There wasn't a lot of room, and I know if I'd have purchased anything larger, it just wouldn't have fit at all. Yikes! Dodged a bullet on that one!

View attachment 27834 View attachment 27835

The guys stuck with it, and at the end of about five hours of steady work, my four new appliances were installed. The work was absolutely professional, and I could not be more satisfied with things. They look great, and I am delighted. I haven't cooked anything yet, but it all seems ready to go. Here are three quick pictures I took this afternoon:

View attachment 27831 View attachment 27832 View attachment 27833

So this means we'll be sleeping at the new house tonight, for the first time. We've moved the last of the smaller furniture from the rental, and tomorrow we will run over to St. George to turn in the rented van I've had the last few weeks. I even took time this afternoon for one final dump run, to get rid of a mountain of packing boxes, styrofoam, and other leftover trash from moving. All the appliances came in boxes, with a ton of packing material around them. It was mostly too large to fit in my car, so it was great that I had this van available to get rid of it all. It has worked out beautifully, and I'm sure the neighbors will be glad to not have the van filling the street in front of the house. It's too large to fit in the driveway of the rental house. :D

View attachment 27836

We're meeting furniture movers at the rental tomorrow afternoon to move the last of the big furniture to the new house. Jeff and I will take care of moving the last of the small items and loose things in our cars. Over the weekend we'll clean the rental, and then turn in the keys. it'll be nice to only have to think about living in one house, instead of two.

I can nearly taste it. We're almost done. :D

Dave
Nice appliances. I saw that refrigerator in a store and it is awesome. Would be interested what you think after using it awhile.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great job, Dave. That's a helluva fridge to stock before I visit, but I know you're up for it. (snicker, snicker!)

Hope you got a great night's sleep in the new house/bed/bedding, and the dogs enjoyed their new digs as well!

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Nice appliances. I saw that refrigerator in a store and it is awesome. Would be interested what you think after using it awhile.

It’s the newer edition of the fridge we had before. Other than size, the main difference is that this one makes “craft ice.” Current TV ads talk about being a “baller,” in reference to the frozen balls of ice it will make. (If you’re a whiskey drinker it keeps it colder without diluting your drink.) It’s a great piece of kitchen helper. This specific one is 30cf, so a small polar bear could live in there. :D We used the smaller drawer for wine storage mostly. The clear door was for easy beverages, yogurt, snack stuff. The main freezer was used for everyday frozen food, whereas the fridge and chest freezer in the garage were for the big packages and boxes of stuff, and overflow. It works well for us.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Oh no you put ice in whisky. Maybe a drop of water but not ice.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything is looking outstanding in your new home and I loved that rental van. That is a great idea for moving furniture and appliances.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh no you put ice in whisky. Maybe a drop of water but not ice.

Actually, I'm not a whiskey drinker. But I'm told some folks do that sort of thing. My dad always did. But he always drank so fast, I don't think the ice even had time to melt. :D

The round ice is separate from the cubed and crushed ice this fridge also makes, and you can even tell the fridge how many ice balls to make in a day. They even fall into a separate ice tray. It's all pretty trick, to be honest. :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Gorgeous actually! and I have fridge envy now :LOL:
Hope the last minute things go well this weekend!!

Thank you! We're quite pleased with the appliances. The fridge is working great, and as of this morning's first use, the microwave also works fine. Haven't used the stove or dishwasher yet, but that's coming. I have full expectations everything will work just fine.

The rest of our large furniture was moved yesterday, so we're nearly out of the rental. Today (Saturday) we'll finish bringing the rest of the loose small stuff from the rental house, and start the process of cleaning it top-to-bottom so the owners won't have to do anything before the next tenant moves in. The house is rented for a November 1st move-in. I want to make sure it's ready.

And I got an unexpected great call this morning - the plantation shutters we'd ordered that weren't supposed to be arriving till next month have come in early. They'll be installed on Friday! That'll go a long way toward making the new house feel like home.

The rest is going to be unpacking and setting up the house. We still have a lot of sorting and disposal to do, but that can be done as we go forward. One thing at a time. Well, maybe two. :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Productive day today, and I'm beat to a pulp. Spent it mostly at the rental house, thoroughly cleaning it out, to make ready for the next tenant, who will move in the first of the month. We got both bedrooms, both bathrooms, the Master Bedroom walk-in closet, the Living Room, Dining Room, and part of the kitchen done. Add in scrubbing things with a fine toothed comb (nearly), to make it all as new as it was when we moved in. I'm dragging my tail tonight. Tomorrow we'll finish the kitchen, because that's all that's left. The rest of the house is done.

The Owner came over while we were there, and was impressed by how nice everything looked. I explained that I had assured him when we moved in that we'd take good care of his property. I want him to get it back as good, or better, than it was when we moved in. I think he appreciates that. I know I would. :)

And in other news, today of all days, the garage refrigerator we moved yesterday has given up the ghost. It's a 2003 model, and had provided good service all these years. But I think the strain of moving it three times in six months finally took its toll. The GFCI breaker was tripped this morning when I went into the garage. The fridge was off, because it's on that circuit. I reset the breaker, immediately heard electrical crackling from the fridge, and the GFCI tripped again. In the same few seconds there was an acrid, "burning electrical wiring " smell coming from the back of the fridge, and a small puff of smoke rose from the back of the fridge motor area. I unplugged everything, let it cool down, then reset everything, and plugged it in again. The fridge comes on, and the freezer compartment is getting cold, but the fridge section isn't cooling down. The purpose of having the fridge is for the refrigerator section - I have a separate chest freezer that is working great.

Seventeen years of service from the old beast was a good run. This was the original fridge we'd purchased when we first bought our home in Washington. When we remodeled the kitchen in 2012, we kept the fridge because it worked so well. It has had a good life in the garage ever since. I had expected it to go at any moment, and I guess today was the day. So now, after everything else, I guess I'm in the market for a new garage fridge. The fun never stops, ya know? :D

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Productive day today, and I'm beat to a pulp. Spent it mostly at the rental house, thoroughly cleaning it out, to make ready for the next tenant, who will move in the first of the month. We got both bedrooms, both bathrooms, the Master Bedroom walk-in closet, the Living Room, Dining Room, and part of the kitchen done. Add in scrubbing things with a fine toothed comb (nearly), to make it all as new as it was when we moved in. I'm dragging my tail tonight. Tomorrow we'll finish the kitchen, because that's all that's left. The rest of the house is done.

The Owner came over while we were there, and was impressed by how nice everything looked. I explained that I had assured him when we moved in that we'd take good care of his property. I want him to get it back as good, or better, than it was when we moved in. I think he appreciates that. I know I would. :)

And in other news, today of all days, the garage refrigerator we moved yesterday has given up the ghost. It's a 2003 model, and had provided good service all these years. But I think the strain of moving it three times in six months finally took its toll. The GFCI breaker was tripped this morning when I went into the garage. The fridge was off, because it's on that circuit. I reset the breaker, immediately heard electrical crackling from the fridge, and the GFCI tripped again. In the same few seconds there was an acrid, "burning electrical wiring " smell coming from the back of the fridge, and a small puff of smoke rose from the back of the fridge motor area. I unplugged everything, let it cool down, then reset everything, and plugged it in again. The fridge comes on, and the freezer compartment is getting cold, but the fridge section isn't cooling down. The purpose of having the fridge is for the refrigerator section - I have a separate chest freezer that is working great.

Seventeen years of service from the old beast was a good run. This was the original fridge we'd purchased when we first bought our home in Washington. When we remodeled the kitchen in 2012, we kept the fridge because it worked so well. It has had a good life in the garage ever since. I had expected it to go at any moment, and I guess today was the day. So now, after everything else, I guess I'm in the market for a new garage fridge. The fun never stops, ya know? :D

Dave

You got your money's worth out of that fridge.

Interestingly when we had our 2nd home inspection (11 month) this month, the inspector said we should not have our garage freezer on a GFI outlet because if it trips for some reason we might not realize it and lose our food.

But after me checking into this further it seems outlets in a garage are required to be GFI so we could not put in a regular outlet there.

It's the same in the kitchen. I am sure our fridge is on a GFI (it's behind the fridge so I can't see it without pulling the fridge out) as is required of all outlets in the kitchen. :ponder:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it is supposed to burn in like that. I’d ask LG about it. You might be able to get some great service from them.

Dave
Are you our LG go-to person now? I was wondering after Costco what can we ask DaveNV about next. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Are you now our LG go-to person now? I was wondering after Costco what can we ask DaveNV about next. :ROFLMAO:

HAHA! About all I could do is talk about the features of the appliances I own, and give you the 800 number of LG's tech support, if I looked it up. :)

But for the record, to be honest I'm a bit of an LG fan, based on excellent performance of their products, and the quality of what I've seen, compared with other brands. As of now, I do own LG-branded refrigerator, stove, over-the-range microwave, dishwasher, washer, dryer, and four flat-screen televisions. So maybe you're on to something. :D

Dave

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Interestingly when we had our 2nd home inspection (11 month) this month, the inspector said we should not have our garage freezer on a GFI outlet because if it trips for some reason we might not realize it and lose our food.

But after me checking into this further it seems outlets in a garage are required to be GFI so we could not put in a regular outlet there.

It's the same in the kitchen. I am sure our fridge is on a GFI (it's behind the fridge so I can't see it without pulling the fridge out) as is required of all outlets in the kitchen. :ponder:

We have a chest freezer in our garage and rain shorted our Christmas lights a couple of years ago. Those lights were plugged into an outdoor GFCI outlet that happened to be on the same circuit as the garage outlets (also GFCI). That caused the entire circuit to trip and our freezer was off about 36 hours without our knowledge. We didn't lose any food since we also did not open the freezer during that time.

After that an electrician installed a non-GFCI outlet in our garage just for the freezer. The plug has a cover on it to prevent the freezer from becoming unplugged and and the cover is prominently labeled "FREEZER - NOT GFCI".

Not sure if that would work in your locale.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I did a bit of creative surfing online today, and found a "garage ready" fridge for sale at Lowes. The description says it is specifically built to work between 38 and 110 degrees. That's a great option for the weather here. Wonder of wonders, they had ONE in stock. Free delivery, and they'll haul away the dead fridge for $30. Sold! It's being delivered next week. For what I need, it'll be perfect.

For those of you keeping track, we are now completely out of the rental house, and completely into our permanent home. The rental is spotless, and ready for the next tenant. I'll meet with the Owners tomorrow to turn over the keys. It feels great to finally be ready to start living in our desert home. Still need to unpack, sort, dispose of excess items, arrange furniture, and hang pictures. But to have everything under one roof, finally, feels great!

By the calendar, it's been 122 days since we left our home in Washington, and moved to Mesquite. :D

Dave

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

As Controller states, you can have a dedicated non-GFCI outlet for an appliance in an area where GFCI is required.

In your kitchen for instance the stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, garbage disposal and microwave should have dedicated non-GFCI outlets, check your breaker panel they should be labeled as such. Older homes may not have them unless the kitchen has been remodeled and brought up to code.

The GFCI circuits(2-20A) in the kitchen are for the portable counter top appliances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
As Controller states, you can have a dedicated non-GFCI outlet for an appliance in an area where GFCI is required.

In your kitchen for instance the stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, garbage disposal and microwave should have dedicated non-GFCI outlets, check your breaker panel they should be labeled as such. Older homes may not have them unless the kitchen has been remodeled and brought up to code.

The GFCI circuits(2-20A) in the kitchen are for the portable counter top appliances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I read somewhere that a refrigerator is supposed to be on a GFCI outlet if it is less than 6 feet from a water source (like the faucet). Ours is 4 feet from the sink, but then again it seems silly because the fridge has a water and ice dispenser. The fridge breaker says "TEST" on it. Does that mean it is non GFCI? We would have to move the fridge out to look behind it to see if it is a GFCI and I don't want to do that (the fridge is in a built in enclosure and I don't want the floors scratched).

I think what I will do is just get a GFCI switch alarm for the freezer in the garage. I know this will not help if we are away somewhere and it trips for some reason, but less expensive than getting an electrician and less hassles of having holes drilled in the house and so on. I wish there was one that was inexpensive and could be tied to a cell phone because if it did happen when we were away I could have a neighbor come into the house to reset it. They didn't invent this yet I guess. LOL! But we do not go away much anyhow.

Not sure what can be done for the refrigerator unless it is ok on that "TEST" breaker.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I read somewhere that a refrigerator is supposed to be on a GFCI outlet if it is less than 6 feet from a water source (like the faucet). Ours is 4 feet from the sink, but then again it seems silly because the fridge has a water and ice dispenser. The fridge breaker says "TEST" on it. Does that mean it is non GFCI? We would have to move the fridge out to look behind it to see if it is a GFCI and I don't want to do that (the fridge is in a built in enclosure and I don't want the floors scratched).

I think what I will do is just get a GFCI switch alarm for the freezer in the garage. I know this will not help if we are away somewhere and it trips for some reason, but less expensive than getting an electrician and less hassles of having holes drilled in the house and so on. I wish there was one that was inexpensive and could be tied to a cell phone because if it did happen when we were away I could have a neighbor come into the house to reset it. They didn't invent this yet I guess. LOL! But we do not go away much anyhow.

Not sure what can be done for the refrigerator unless it is ok on that "TEST" breaker.
If the breaker has a test button its probably a GFCI breaker. The circuit can be protected at the breaker or by the first outlet - GFCI outlet. Since the fridge covers the outlet making it difficult to get to the reset button if it trips that is probably why they used a GFCI breaker since its within 6ft of the sink.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

If you look around your house for your other GFCI outlets, they all have a TEST button, and a RESET button. All the TEST does is trip that breaker so you can be sure it's working. Then be sure to press the RESET button to turn it back on.

Dave

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
If you look around your house for your other GFCI outlets, they all have a TEST button, and a RESET button. All the TEST does is trip that breaker so you can be sure it's working. Then be sure to press the RESET button to turn it back on.

Dave

The TEST button @WinniWoman is speaking of is on the circuit breaker in the electric panel.