• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian travel to the US or other countries C-19 What’s up?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Also, health coverage is a provincial program (as in state like) so I always have added health coverage if I travel to another province. Again, it’s cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Actually, there is only one exception to Provincial Health Care footing the entire bill. If, for example, you have a rare disease AND the only place you can get treatment is in another country, Alberta Health Care will cover all your treatment costs. However, that ain’t no vaca. You get treatment and come back home. Plus, if there is any treatment above the treatment you can’t get anywhere else, you will get that treatment at home.

This is in very rare situations so you might as well say you aren’t covered internationally.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is very important news from the insurance industry

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I'm surprised it took them this long to announce it. According to prior media reports, the governments were to announce it on Wednesday. I wonder if the US side is starting to push more for opening of the border.

Yes, they sure waited until the last minute to formally announce the extension! We were supposed to be leaving next Friday for a 10 night stay in VA but I was able to cancel and get a full points refund (without paying the RCI Points Protection fee) as well as a credit for the exchange fee. The current closure goes until Oct.21st and we are scheduled to leave Oct.22nd or 23rd for 2+ weeks in Florida. I'm fairly certain we'll be cancelling that as well. :(

I saw the headline to this story and laughed (where does he get his news from?). I think much of the US, especially the tourist areas, want the border to open up sooner rather than later.

~Diane

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, they sure waited until the last minute to formally announce the extension! We were supposed to be leaving next Friday for a 10 night stay in VA but I was able to cancel and get a full points refund (without paying the RCI Points Protection fee) as well as a credit for the exchange fee. The current closure goes until Oct.21st and we are scheduled to leave Oct.22nd or 23rd for 2+ weeks in Florida. I'm fairly certain we'll be cancelling that as well. :(

I saw the headline to this story and laughed (where does he get his news from?). I think much of the US, especially the tourist areas, want the border to open up sooner rather than later.

I just watched the clip. It sounds like he is stating he thinks it will be opened before the end of the year. So we might have a situation where Canadians can travel to the US (with a quarantine of course), but Canada bans Americans.

I agree that the US wants more tourist dollars - states that rely more heavily on tourism are really hurting right now, and it will get worse.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I just watched the clip. It sounds like he is stating he thinks it will be opened before the end of the year. So we might have a situation where Canadians can travel to the US (with a quarantine of course), but Canada bans Americans.

I agree that the US wants more tourist dollars - states that rely more heavily on tourism are really hurting right now, and it will get worse.

I agree with you, especially the states bordering Canada.

When I cancelled my Airbnb in Hawaii planned for December, 2020, I was mindful of the number of small business operators suffering. In this case, I lost 1 k CAD for cancelling. I could have fought it because I still believe the Canada US border closure will still be in place and a good chance 14 day quarantines either in Hawaii and/or Canada will be there too. However, I thought about the poor guy who is suffering big time in Hawaii because of the massive amounts of cancellations. His bills keep coming but his business keeps failing through this. So, I let it slide.

Same as WestJet. I have a large travel bank when I cancelled. I could have argued the point that I want a cash refund but realized how hard it must be to be in the Airline industry.

Personally, I’m not booking anything until I’m sure everything is stable. This month to month closure just makes it too hard to plan.

So, I’m one Canadian grounded for awhile. Oh well, things could be worse I suppose.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

~Diane

Hi Diane,

You may want to just hold off any bookings until you see when the restrictions are lifted and remain lifted. My guess is you may get some smokin’ deals as everywhere will be hungry to get accommodations booked. I know it smarts but booking now can leave you with more possible cancellations, more disappointments and more money down the drain.

Although there are 2 camps of thought, I believe the US and to some degree Canada is heading for hard times. Some argue that only the service industry is suffering while skilled, higher paid jobs are doing great. Well, I know many high paying oil workers in Alberta suffering and would jump at any job, even low paying. I also know US realtors telling me to wait if I want a winter home in the US as they believe once the forebearances and rental mess comes to roost, the real estate market will be flooded causing prices to drop. If times get hard, you will find unbelievable deals and it will be worth the wait.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Hi Diane,

You may want to just hold off any bookings until you see when the restrictions are lifted and remain lifted. My guess is you may get some smokin’ deals as everywhere will be hungry to get accommodations booked. I know it smarts but booking now can leave you with more possible cancellations, more disappointments and more money down the drain.

Although there are 2 camps of thought, I believe the US and to some degree Canada is heading for hard times. Some argue that only the service industry is suffering while skilled, higher paid jobs are doing great. Well, I know many high paying oil workers in Alberta suffering and would jump at any job, even low paying. I also know US realtors telling me to wait if I want a winter home in the US as they believe once the forebearances and rental mess comes to roost, the real estate market will be flooded causing prices to drop. If times get hard, you will find unbelievable deals and it will be worth the wait.

Thanks, yes we are not going to book anything until we see what is happening both here at home and at our desired destination. If we have to pay to extend our RCI Points into next summer, then so be it. We still have our flight (Dec.30th) booked and apartment deposit for our winter stay in Belize, but the country is still closed and will probably remain so for a few months at least. We purposely booked a direct (YYZ>BZE) flight with WestJet in case Belize prohibits American flights/people. Also when we booked WestJet was offering a 2 year rebook with no fee window. Like the southern US, Belize is very dependent on the tourist dollar and many people are literally starving due to the lack of work. We (especially DH) are not looking forward to a Canadian winter but we will be putting our safety first and if that is what we need to do, well, we will survive.

We already own a winter home in Florida which we bought in the slump about 10yrs ago. It is rented out on an annual lease and had nearly doubled in value from our purchase price. When it is paid off we hope to use it ourselves.

~Diane

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Thanks, yes we are not going to book anything until we see what is happening both here at home and at our desired destination. If we have to pay to extend our RCI Points into next summer, then so be it. We still have our flight (Dec.30th) booked and apartment deposit for our winter stay in Belize, but the country is still closed and will probably remain so for a few months at least. We purposely booked a direct (YYZ>BZE) flight with WestJet in case Belize prohibits American flights/people. Also when we booked WestJet was offering a 2 year rebook with no fee window. Like the southern US, Belize is very dependent on the tourist dollar and many people are literally starving due to the lack of work. We (especially DH) are not looking forward to a Canadian winter but we will be putting our safety first and if that is what we need to do, well, we will survive.

We already own a winter home in Florida which we bought in the slump about 10yrs ago. It is rented out on an annual lease and had nearly doubled in value from our purchase price. When it is paid off we hope to use it ourselves.

~Diane

Very smart on Florida! I sure kicked myself back then for not buying. I have friends who bought in La Quinta (Palm Springs) area then too and have made a killing.

As for Belize, it’s sad everywhere where folks rely on tourist income. My thoughts are what’s worse? Covid or losing everything and living in a tent? My good friend in Hawaii who owns a charter boat is on the verge of losing everything, including his home, over this. My heart goes out to him and the many others suffering as a consequence.

One good thing I suppose is my gratitude on being in the position I am in has gone up a lot. I thank god regularly on how fortunate I am. You know, this situation has also really had me appreciate being a Canadian too. I do live in a beautiful country with kind, peaceful values, public health care and a unique caring for others through social programs. I frankly took it for granted and some times was tempted to move to another country where the weather is better. After this, I will always make Canada home BUT will still try to escape winter when I can. If I can’t, that’s ok, I’m in a good place here.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This would be an interesting option and would open up air travel if it would be an alternative to quarantine. Hopefully regulators can get around to approving rapid tests.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A couple of new stories. Canadian government will be expanding the list of foreigners eligible to enter Canada. Quarantine still required and restrictions being lifted will probably apply to very few. Probably the biggest group is international students. Canada is also expanding contact tracers and deploying more public health officers to border locations.

Second news story identifies several US Senators who are lobbying for the US to reopen the border to Canadians this month.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's the middle of the month, so it must be time to start preparing for the next installment of "When will the border reopen?"

The Canadian PM today says that Canada will be keeping the border closed as long as Covid is a problem in the US.

What is interesting to me is what was said about snowbirds:

Trudeau warned Canadian snowbirds to resist the urge to travel south in search of warmer climes.

"I know there's a lot of people worried about what's happening south of the border in Florida, Arizona, California and other places where the virus is not under control or less under control than we are here," he said. "The challenges around the health care system being overloaded down there and access to health insurance – making sure you have coverage in case something does happen – are a lot more difficult."

He said a travel advisory is as far as the government is willing to go.

"Ultimately, if someone chooses to travel, we're not going to keep them imprisoned in Canada. There's freedom of movement in this country," he said. "Still, people have to recognize they're putting themselves at risk, putting their loved ones at risk. And they may not have the right kind of health insurance or repatriation flights that we did early on if they choose to leave the country."

So does this indicate that we might have a situation where the US doesn't want to keep the border closed, but Canada does? Could this lead to a situation where the land border to the US is reopened to Canadians headed south?

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
There will be a multitude of US timeshare associations that will have severe impacts from Canadians defaulting on their MFees or by not renting owner’s units in 2021. This pandemic is going to have far reaching implications to many timeshares.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, it's groundhog day in October. Border closure extended to November 21.

It is interesting that there is a bit more sniping going on between the governments.

I just wish that Canada would try to get some sort of travel testing regime put in place (e.g., Hawaii) that would eliminate the need for quarantine. Believe it or not, there are people advocating against private covid testing! I think a big concern is that the Canadian healthcare system will have to pick up the costs for all of the foreigners with covid.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good article out this week about the Point Roberts south of Vancouver. If they want access to Canada then should ask to join.

dreamin

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it's groundhog day in October. Border closure extended to November 21.

It is interesting that there is a bit more sniping going on between the governments.

I just wish that Canada would try to get some sort of travel testing regime put in place (e.g., Hawaii) that would eliminate the need for quarantine. Believe it or not, there are people advocating against private covid testing! I think a big concern is that the Canadian healthcare system will have to pick up the costs for all of the foreigners with covid.

This would not be a big concern. No one is ever refused health care in Canada regardless of where they are from or their finances. However, someone from the finance department of the hospital would be visiting the patient to arrange payment, either through a personal medical plan or cash payment or from immediate family. As soon as the patient is stable arrangements are made to return them to their home country. The majority of Canadians want the border to remain closed.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This would not be a big concern. No one is ever refused health care in Canada regardless of where they are from or their finances. However, someone from the finance department of the hospital would be visiting the patient to arrange payment, either through a personal medical plan or cash payment or from immediate family. As soon as the patient is stable arrangements are made to return them to their home country. The majority of Canadians want the border to remain closed.
But there is no enforcement mechanism if someone refuses to pay due to not having insurance.

I supported the border closure initially (in fact I thought it was too late). But we are now past the point where it is useful. Covid now has a high degree of community spread and there are many areas of Canada that are worse than the sunbelt states now.

You are right that polls show most Canadians could care less about our international connections. Many would love to live in our own igloos, smoking weed, and collecting the CRB, but we need to start thinking about how we are going to get people moving again with rapid testing and quarantine alternatives. :)

The EU is now thinking or removing Canada from their whitelist of countries since we do not have travel reciprocity. Our universities are going to have a lot of trouble recruiting international students for next year (this has huge funding implications). We can’t do international commerce if people have to quarantine for 14 days every time they leave the country (see Hawaii, example of). The list goes on. [/RANT]

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The land border should open once the USA takes Covid seriously. Packing football stadiums etc is not a need at this time. I would let Canadians go south if they want but require them to buy insurance for when they were return before they leave. For Covid illness. I would also let Americans come after a negative test and 14 day quarantine but only for important reasons. Not day tripping or tourism. Own a second home, visiting family for an extended stay etc.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The land border should open once the USA takes Covid seriously. Packing football stadiums etc is not a need at this time. I would let Canadians go south if they want but require them to buy insurance for when they were return before they leave. For Covid illness. I would also let Americans come after a negative test and 14 day quarantine but only for important reasons. Not day tripping or tourism. Own a second home, visiting family for an extended stay etc.
Airlines are providing free Covid insurance now when you purchase a plane ticket so the premium must be pretty cheap. The insurance companies know the numbers better than the media so my take is: NOT as scary as some may think

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Airlines are providing free Covid insurance now when you purchase a plane ticket so the premium must be pretty cheap. The insurance companies know the numbers better than the media so my take is: NOT as scary as some may think

Ok but let the people traveling out of country pay that instead of spread over all tax payers. For the record I would exclude smokers and drunk drivers from free health care.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok but let the people traveling out of country pay that instead of spread over all tax payers. For the record I would exclude smokers and drunk drivers from free health care.
Once you start with exclusions, we are on a slippery slope. How about other risk factors, some can be hereditary but in many cases they depend on the life style. Enforcement would be a b.

Last edited: