• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite Poconos Timeshare Property?

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone can share their experiences / opinions on the various Pocono timeshare properties?

What property is your favorite and why?

Considering potentially purchasing a deeded week, or Wyndham points for access to their properties for shorter stays.

Any thoughts?

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely the 3brs at Villas at Fairway are the nicest. (I hear the smaller units are not great.) We haven't been there in a few years, but we love them.

If you are buying to trade and you want Wyndham, then Shawnee. But I doubt that you get much trading power from Shawnee, even in high summer. There are a couple of newish sections there that are nicer than the others. Shawnee used to have day use, so check into that if you are looking at Shawnee.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Here is a thread on Wyndham's properties

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a thread on Wyndham's properties

They talk about Crestview being the best at Shawnee, but I have never once seen it available for exchange on RCI--and I check that area constantly. I don't see any availability on II either. Is it ever available?

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
They talk about Crestview being the best at Shawnee, but I have never once seen it available for exchange on RCI--and I check that area constantly. I don't see any availability on II either. Is it ever available?
I am a Wyndham owner, so I have not tried to book through RCI. Crestview doesn't have that many rooms, so it is hard to get. We stayed in them for spring break, I booked at the 10 month mark.
We have also stayed in Ridge Top and River Village.
River Village is not in the same area as the others, it near the Shawnee Inn. I did not like these rooms, the only good thing was the dedicated parking space and wood burning fireplace.
Ridge Top was older and outdated (compared to other Wyndham resorts) but they have plenty of space. We did get the mattress replaced for one of the beds in the 2nd bedrooms.
Both Ridge Top and River Village are townhouse style units.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a Wyndham owner, so I have not tried to book through RCI. Crestview doesn't have that many rooms, so it is hard to get. We stayed in them for spring break, I booked at the 10 month mark.
We have also stayed in Ridge Top and River Village.
River Village is not in the same area as the others, it near the Shawnee Inn. I did not like these rooms, the only good thing was the dedicated parking space and wood burning fireplace.
Ridge Top was older and outdated (compared to other Wyndham resorts) but they have plenty of space. We did get the mattress replaced for one of the beds in the 2nd bedrooms.

Its number in RCI begins with an A. That means something...I just can't remember what.

Have you gotten Crestview through II?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We've stayed in Ridge Top Village and in Fairview. The Fairview units were o-l-d and really not kept up well. The Ridge Top one really wasn't horrible. Not as clean as I might have liked, but loads of space. Our big sticking point was the fact that the units weren't ready at checkin. We waited several HOURS for them to be ready, and then like I said, they weren't that clean. The location was nice, though. We've also stayed at Tanglwood up in Hawley, and Eagle Village at Tamiment. Shawnee was the best for location...but the Pocono resorts are most definitely older/more dated than any others we've stayed in.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've also been to Split Rock, which is pretty nice (we were in Willowbrook). But again, years ago.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also stayed at Split Rock ~ in the Willowbrook section. We loved it there, it's dated but was clean and comfortable. We had the 2 bedroom unit which is A and B. Both sides are almost identical and it was ideal for two couples. Up at the main lodge there is a restaurant, a small cafe' (pizza & sandwiches), and a small market for essentials. Also there is a large indoor pool practically in the lobby. A car is a must.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am a Wyndham owner, so ..........Ridge Top was older and outdated (compared to other Wyndham resorts) but they have plenty of space. We did get the mattress replaced for one of the beds in the 2nd bedrooms.

I am reading this thread because :

With Covid 19 likely a travel complication for the foreseeable future; I am starting to look at these
TOWNHOUSE STYLE UNITS for potential future vacations

PROS
no elevators
limited need for social distancing from other guests due to unit format.
most seem to have. version of “dedicated “ parking per unit.

CONS
older style units & furnishings.
Upkeep of (some) resorts with this type of TS unit.

For now we cannot drive to anything in USA - due to the border travel restriction-so I am really just doing research for 2021 or 2022.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
With Covid 19 likely a travel complication for the foreseeable future; I am starting to look at these
PROS
no elevators
CONS
For now we cannot drive to anything in USA - due to the border travel restriction-so I am really just doing research for 2021 or 2022.

We actually prefer townhouse style units, even before Covid. We like to be able to park in front of our front door and not have to schlep all our stuff (I bring lots!) from a parking lot through a building, up an elevator and along a hallway to our unit. Of course you don't always get a good view from a ground floor level but we had a lovely view into the forest from our unit at Shawnee Village last year and since there was nobody in the adjoining unit all week it was very quiet inside.

~Diane

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also stayed at Split Rock ~ in the Willowbrook section. We loved it there, it's dated but was clean and comfortable. We had the 2 bedroom unit which is A and B. Both sides are almost identical and it was ideal for two couples. Up at the main lodge there is a restaurant, a small cafe' (pizza & sandwiches), and a small market for essentials. Also there is a large indoor pool practically in the lobby. A car is a must.
We also stayed at Split Rock many, many, many years ago. It was ok. The onsite amenities were excellent. It had a large indoor pool and a nice restaurant.. However, we will never return; our villa needed to be updated and our villa was just to dark inside for my spouse.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

PROS
no elevators

CONS

I agree with you about the townhouse units. One more con, though--in some locations there are a lot of steps to get to your unit, and then of course many of them have steps inside. Just one more thing to think about for those who can't do steps.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I agree with you about the townhouse units. One more con, though--in some locations there are a lot of steps to get to your unit, and then of course many of them have steps inside. Just one more thing to think about for those who can't do steps.
Yes, I agree with both of you.
But at Shawnee, the Ridge Top units we stayed in did not have dedicated parking. We went for Thanksgiving and we had to park in the no parking area in front of the dumpsters on multiple occasions. There are long walkway with steps to your car.
River Village has a dedicate spot, but there is a steep multi-tier stairway.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we stayed at River Village II years and years ago, when we were young and spry, and even then I remember being a little overwhelmed by the number of steps.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, appreciate the info.

I saw Tanglwood Resort mentioned, right by Lake Wallenpaupack. Any opinions on that property specifically?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

I saw Tanglwood Resort mentioned, right by Lake Wallenpaupack. Any opinions on that property specifically?
I feel like we might have stayed there in the 80s. Only the dimmest memories, unfortunately. How are the reviews?

Are we talking about visiting these timeshares, or buying them? We visit the Poconos every couple of years and enjoy our time at different timeshares, but honestly I wouldn't buy there unless it was one of the big places. And even then only if I wanted to stay there every year.

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score

I owned at Tanglwood and the units located right across the street from Lake Wallenpaupak were old, but maintained. The pool, activity center and check-in were all located near those units.

I recall that there were some units located in other areas (had to drive to them after checking-in.) I think ski side and golf course units. I understand those units and property have been sold.

We liked the proximity to Lake Wallenpaupak for fishing, boating and hiking. It is more of an independent place to stay than a resort with lots of on-site activities.

I understand Woodloch Resort has timeshares and that it is a highly-rated family resort and spa.

Maria

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I owned at Tanglwood and the units located right across the street from Lake Wallenpaupak were old, but maintained. The pool, activity center and check-in were all located near those units.

I recall that there were some units located in other areas (had to drive to them after checking-in.) I think ski side and golf course units. I understand those units and property have been sold.

We liked the proximity to Lake Wallenpaupak for fishing, boating and hiking. It is more of an independent place to stay than a resort with lots of on-site activities.

I understand Woodloch Resort has timeshares and that it is a highly-rated family resort and spa.

Maria

Hi Maria-
I just put a week on hold for early June at Tanglwood. We had 16 TPUs that needed to be booked by 12/31/20 for use no later than 6/30/21. The Poconos are one area of PA we've not explored and like the fact that it is within a days drive for us. I went for a 2 bedroom 6/4 and plan on calling the resort to be sure there are two bathrooms before we invite another couple to join us.
We are independent travelers who enjoy golf, hiking and DH likes fishing. Are there boat rental and docking options available do you know? Any further ideas/info will be much appreciated!
Barb

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Maria-
I just put a week on hold for early June at Tanglwood. We had 16 TPUs that needed to be booked by 12/31/20 for use no later than 6/30/21. The Poconos are one area of PA we've not explored and like the fact that it is within a days drive for us. I went for a 2 bedroom 6/4 and plan on calling the resort to be sure there are two bathrooms before we invite another couple to join us.
We are independent travelers who enjoy golf, hiking and DH likes fishing. Are there boat rental and docking options available do you know? Any further ideas/info will be much appreciated!
Barb

I am really looking forward to you going and reporting back! We love the Poconos.

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, there were boat rentals on Lake Wallenpaupak.

If you enjoy hiking, Bushkill Falls is very scenic.

The Settlers Inn restaurant in Hawley is a favorite!

Enjoy a wonderful trip and please report back on your experience!

Maria

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Even though I've not explored the Poconos, I did spend a summer decades ago at Camp Little Flower in Tobyhanna.

And one of my earliest jobs was as a human answering machine for a tiny travel agency in Flushing NY that specialized in booking Pocono honeymoon resorts....private cabins with heart-shaped tubs but communal meals and group activities. Rumor had it that if a couple was late to breakfast the resort director would encourage the other honeymooners to surround their cabin and chant, "We know what you're doing"!
Ah, the good old days.....

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though I've not explored the Poconos, I did spend a summer decades ago at Camp Little Flower in Tobyhanna.

And one of my earliest jobs was as a human answering machine for a tiny travel agency in Flushing NY that specialized in booking Pocono honeymoon resorts....private cabins with heart-shaped tubs but communal meals and group activities. Rumor had it that if a couple was late to breakfast the resort director would encourage the other honeymooners to surround their cabin and chant, "We know what you're doing"!
Ah, the good old days.....
Would you believe there is still one place in the Poconos that has heart-shaped tubs? And champagne-glass tubs!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Would you believe there is still one place in the Poconos that has heart-shaped tubs? And champagne-glass tubs!

Yes we were there many years ago!