• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are some of your favorite dishes to prepare at the timeshare resort when you do not want to eat at a restaurant?

exco

Reaction score
Would you please share some of your favorite "quick and easy" recipes to cook at a timeshare resort when you don't feel like going out to a restaurant or getting takeout? The simpler the recipe the better, since typically you don't have a lot of spices/sauces on hand while you're at a resort.

Thank you.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We get a six pack or 2 six packs of everything bagels at Costco. We buy an onion, jar capers, sliced tomatoes and cream cheese. This makes an excellent breakfast dish or for lunch. We sometimes also buy an eight pack of apple strudels at Costco to just warm in the oven.You can freeze them and eat them. sometimes we buy some packages saimin and add things left over from meals out. We basically are quick and easy. Also,we have a glass of wine before going out and it cuts our meal cost at least 1/3 rd as we drink modestly priced wine $20-$40 per bottle range usually and they are double and triple that price often eating out.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
When we travel to Hawaii we take a small extra piece of luggage with kitchen supplies including spices, knives (the resort knives are always so dull) and Ziploc bags. When in Hawaii we eat out extensively but I will cook four meals at the BBQ grills in the two-week period. 1) I will buy fresh fish at the market and grill them on cedar planks (part of our kitchen supply bag) while my wife bakes potatoes; 2) I will buy ground beef and cook burgers and grill fresh pineapple slices; 3) I will barbecue chicken leg quarters using a dry BBQ rub I bring in our kitchen supply bag; and 4) I will grill steaks.

When we travel to Colorado during the summer we do not take any kitchen supplies for the week but I will buy the ingredients to prepare homemade spaghetti sauce in the villa's kitchen. That meal is always good for leftovers.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We often "assemble" dinners Day One or Day Two of Hawaii trips using Costco staples: rotisserie chicken, pre-made salads, luncheon sandwiches, and wine.

The only real cooking we do for dinners is grilling steaks or searing ahi, neither of which happens more than once or twice during a two week trip.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
We also take a small "kit" from home: one really sharp knife (love this one https://tinyurl.com/covered-knife), grind-able salt and pepper from Trader Joes, a sponge (hate using a wash cloth for the kitchen), cloth napkins, salad tongs. We also get fresh fish, frozen vegetables, staples mentioned like Costco chicken, salad, sliced cheese, pre-cooked hardboiled eggs (not sure if Costco has these, but Safeway does) etc.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually have at least one pasta dinner. pre-made salad and garlic bread from a grocery store or deli. Not to say that we haven't made some fairly extravagant timeshare meals, but mostly it's about being out and about, sightseeing, or other activities, not seeing how big a mess we can make in the TS kitchen.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We tend to go for convenience, so will buy some frozen foods like lasagna or other family sized meals. Stouffers makes some decent ones. We make chili or taco meat (we may bring a purchased spice pack to avoid carrying spices if flying). We bake chicken with veggies. We sometimes get heat & serve or serve cold items from Costco. Anything we cook is big enough for planned leftovers.

Sheila

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like we always pick up a Costco chicken and a bagged Caesar salad and have that for a couple of meals. If I am going by car and I feel like dragging a crockpot, I sometimes make pulled pork with the easiest recipe in the world. I am thinking of calling ahead next time I want bring this and seeing if I can get a crockpot from the resort. This recipe has over 5000 five star reviews on allrecipes website.

SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK
  • 1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle root beer
  • 1 (18 ounce) bottle your favorite barbecue sauce
  • hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted

Place the pork tenderloin in a slow cooker; pour the root beer over the meat. Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, 6 to 7 hours. (Note: the actual length of time may vary according to individual slow cooker, my crockpot cooks a lot faster.) Drain well. Stir in barbecue sauce. (I prefer to provide on the side since not everyone likes the same amount of sauce.) Serve on hamburger buns. I usually add a premade bag of coleslaw with dressing on the side to serve as a condiment. I have added sliced onions and used other cuts of pork as well.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
Steaks on the grill with baked potatoes is one meal we usually do. Costco rotisserie chicken is always a good meal for day of arrival. I've also done sheet pan fajitas which is pretty easy. I take some small ziplock bags of spices and herbs. I actually enjoy cooking some meals while on vacation.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Tacos. We usually cook them on Tuesday.

Seriously, tacos are great for TS stays. We do a quick grocery shopping trip and the ingredients are cheap and easy to make.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Pot of stew, pot of beans, pot of spaghetti. Add a salad and bread and you are good to go for days.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
NY Strip Steak, grilled. With baked potatoes, sour cream, chives. And a salad.

Pulled pork, vacuum sealed and frozen at home, then reheated in condo. Usually as sandwiches with a bagged salad mix.

Smoked BBQ pork ribs, vacuum sealed and frozen at home, then reheated in condo. Sometimes we bring slaw, sometimes we make a bagged salad mix, or maybe corn on the cob.

Rotisserie chicken from a grocery store, salad and baked potatoes.

Pasta bolognese made with sauce from home, frozen and reheated in timeshare. Caesar salad from a bagged kit.

BBQ tri tip sandwiches, from tri tip vacuum sealed and frozen at home. Corn on the cob, or salad.

Chicken club sandwiches, salad. Or grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

Chicken picatta, steamed broccoli, brown rice.

Burgers and salad or corn on the cob, maybe with watermelon or grapes. Or maybe hot dogs.

Chicken sate with cold cucumber salad, peanut sauce (made at home) and rice

Roasted turkey breast, gravy, stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, frozen green beans, reheated rolls (either made at home and frozen, or commercially made rolls), mashed potatoes and frozen commercial apple pie, baked in the condo. Obviously for Thanksgiving.

For breakfast:
bacon, eggs and toast
overnight oats- I mix the dry ingredients at home, then add milk and shredded apple at the timeshare
yeasted waffles- I mix the dry ingredients at home, then make the batter at the condo, which takes no more than 5 min. serve with bacon and berries, typically

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
More local grocery store chains have pre-seasoned meats, and assembled take and bake stuffed potatoes and casseroles either in deli or meat counter. More expensive than doing all yourself-but still way less expensive than eating out, and no need to haul spices or have waste.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rotisserie Chicken from any nearby market that has it. We may grab a box of yellow rice to go with it. Pasta with meatballs(frozen) or sausage on another night. Something to grill if we can on another night...steaks, burgers...Bagged salads go with every one of these. Leftovers can be had for lunches. A few easy items for breakfasts... cereal milk eggs bread.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I am currently on an almost three week trip to the USVI.
We prefer not to eat out in restaurants.
We brought a large suitcase with a Trader Joe’s blue cooler Inside with frozen foods and a smaller cooler with Refrigerator items

Costco Beef Shirt ribs with BBQ sauce = 2 dinners and 2 lunches
Costco Lamb Shanks with gravy = 2 dinners and 2 lunches. These both are in vacuum packages and can be heated in a pot of simmering water
Costco assorted sliced cheese 2 packages = many lunches and breakfasts
Costco Organic sliced turkey that comes in a three pack = many lunches
Trader Joe’s Shawarma Chicken Thighs and Rosemary Balsamic Steak Tips = 4 meals
2 Filet Mignons = 1 dinner with leftovers
2 Packages Chicken = 2 dinners
Hot dogs = 1 dinner, 1 lunch
Olive oil spray, spice packets, S&P, 6 noodle and sauce packets. Mayo/mustard, bacon, butter, Costco individual guacamole cups
So 12 dinners came with us.

Once on island did a large grocery order delivered For lettuce tomato Fresh fruit, eggs, bread, dairy, ground turkey for Santa Fe stuffed peppers and Bolognes sauce = 2 dinners and two lunches. Stouffers Lasagna x 2.

16 dinners give or take.

We will do take out/ delivery from a few fav restaurants to break things up.

I have never done this so extensively before. When I go to the Cayman Islands for 6-7 weeks I pack a $25 crock pot and make chili’s, soups, pulled pork, stuffed peppers, etc but do most of the shopping there.

These are different times.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Seafood pasta, tikka masala, eggplant parm, steak, French toast, eggs Benedict, the list goes on and on.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Pasta, chili in the crockpot, shredded pork in the crockpot, salmon or other fish in the oven, a frozen meal in the microwave. Simple and easy, pretty much like we do at home. Just the two of us.

Lunch is just cold cut sandwiches, tuna, peanut butter, nachos and cheese with salsa, whatever.

Breakfast is cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, eggs with turkey bacon and English muffins, frozen waffles, maybe crab or corn muffins. We’ve made pancakes. Juice, coffee, tea.

ruhskis9713

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just learned a new trick during COVID stays. We order meal kits from places like Hello Fresh, Blue Apron or Every Plate and have them delivered to the front desk. Don't have to go to the grocery store, don't have to buy ingredients that I will only throw away at the end of the trip and they are more delicious and easy than most of what I would otherwise cook.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
And we add scrambled eggs to most of the ingredients the next day to make breakfast burritos or tacos. Sometimes add chopped up sausage or bacon. Any leftover bread or eggs or coffee creamer at the end of the week we use for French toast.
Tacos. We usually cook them on Tuesday.

Seriously, tacos are great for TS stays. We do a quick grocery shopping trip and the ingredients are cheap and easy to make.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
@GrayFal

We did a similar thing in our summer travels. Some of it was easy: pack all our own food for two five-day trips to drive-to destinations.

But for our trip to Utah, we were gone 2.5 weeks and I packed enough food in one cooler to have the basis of almost all of our meals. We got two small Instacart deliveries.

I think we wound up getting takeout twice on the entire trip, otherwise ate breakfast, lunch and dinner that we prepared ourselves. It was a lot of work in the planning stage at home, but at the condo it was a breeze. All the meals were intentionally planned to take no more than 15 min to cook.

We found that we really preferred this style of travel. It was somehow more relaxing to us. I really put a lot of focus on meals being easy and tasty. Healthier than restaurant dining but not so healthy that we’d crave something better. And Jeez it was such a huge savings.

It helps that I like to cook and I don’t mind cleaning up. So from my perspective there’s no “ugh this is a chore”.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
When we are near Costco or Trader Joes, those are our mainstays for timeshare food. We also pick up bagged salads that come with the dressing already made. Trader Joes especially has pretty good pre-seasoned meats that are perfect for grilling, especially their Bool Kogi. At Costco we look for already prepared meals near the meat department, and of course pick up a rotisserie chicken because that is good for a lot of things, not just the first meal. I will also grab some frozen meatballs and a jar of pasta sauce for "fast food". We eat a lot of salads and one of my easy "cheats" is to make a greek salad (no lettuce) with chunky chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion and mix it with some marinated olives/feta cheese from the olive bar (if available). No need for any additional dressing. We also pick up some fresh fruit for snacks.

I don't (can't) eat out at restaurants too often - I am sensitive to fats and dairy and boy-o-boy do restaurants use a ton of both - so I cook a lot at home and I really appreciate a break when traveling, so that's when we utilize pre-made foods. I have a tough time cooking in a timeshare because I don't have access to things like fresh herbs, or even my dried herbs. It's definitely a challenge.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
@GrayFal

We did a similar thing in our summer travels. Some of it was easy: pack all our own food for two five-day trips to drive-to destinations.

But for our trip to Utah, we were gone 2.5 weeks and I packed enough food in one cooler to have the basis of almost all of our meals. We got two small Instacart deliveries.

I think we wound up getting takeout twice on the entire trip, otherwise ate breakfast, lunch and dinner that we prepared ourselves. It was a lot of work in the planning stage at home, but at the condo it was a breeze. All the meals were intentionally planned to take no more than 15 min to cook.

We found that we really preferred this style of travel. It was somehow more relaxing to us. I really put a lot of focus on meals being easy and tasty. Healthier than restaurant dining but not so healthy that we’d crave something better. And Jeez it was such a huge savings.

It helps that I like to cook and I don’t mind cleaning up. So from my perspective there’s no “ugh this is a chore”.
@heathpack
Traveling in times of Covid Is stressful enough.
Pre planning was worth it so as not to stress when we are here.

It is likely that the Cayman Islands won’t be open for our usual 2 month February March trip. We will do a road trip along the east coast down to SC & Florida and use the same technique of pre buying and freezing and grocery delivery to keep ourselves safe.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
$10 Tuesday Special Large pizzas from Papa Murphy's, a salad of some kind, and a bottle of Zinfandel. Usually not a fan of Lodi, CA wines, but the last couple of OZV Old Vine Zinfandel vintages have been a good value as a wine with pizza.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I don't (can't) eat out at restaurants too often - I am sensitive to fats and dairy and boy-o-boy do restaurants use a ton of both - so I cook a lot at home and I really appreciate a break when traveling, so that's when we utilize pre-made foods. I have a tough time cooking in a timeshare because I don't have access to things like fresh herbs, or even my dried herbs. It's definitely a challenge.

Why would you not have access to your dried herbs? They don't take up much space in luggage.