• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

43 Embarrassing Grammar Mistakes Even Smart People Make

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like it or not, words, spelling, and punctuation can leave a lasting impression on others. But even the most educated people often unknowingly make these common flubs.

Come to think of it, I've always called it a Hot Water Heater. :ponder:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I've always called it a Hot Water Heater. :ponder:

Somebody pointed that out to me too, From then on, I've always called it a water heater. BTW, I wouldn't call it a grammar mistake. I would maybe call it a redundancy.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure I agree with this one. I think it depends on where you are when saying it;

7. Emigrated to
"Emigrate" and "from" always go together, as do "immigrate" and "to." To emigrate is to come from somewhere, and to immigrate is to go to somewhere. "Colin emigrated from Ireland to the United States" means the same as "Colin immigrated to the United States from Ireland."

If someone is saying it in Ireland. Saying "Colin emigrated to the United States" should be fine. You shouldn't have to say "from Ireland" to make it correct since the person is in Ireland. Being in Ireland it is assumed it would be from Ireland.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
"So, if you use the correct version you'll sound intelligent to the grammarians of the world but you risk alienating a certain percentage of people who will not understand your meaning. " (point #39).

That's the problem I personally find in the English language today. The dilemma: Do you use correct grammar and pronunciation and sound unintelligible or do you use everyday grammar and vernacular (although incorrect) and be easily understood?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I" as the last word in a sentence. (point #4).

Actually, "I" can be used as the last word in a sentence when making a comparison. For example "You are smarter than I."
I realize that most people would say "You are smarter than me," but using "I" would be short for (and in this case, correct) " You are smarter than I am."

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The incorrect use of I and me is one that drives me nuts. I did learn to check (as in #4) by removing the other person's name out of the sentence and see if your personal pronoun choice still sounds right.

The other thing that bugs me is the incorrect your of your and you're, when written.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other thing that bugs me is the incorrect your of your and you're, when written.

For example: "If you want to spend $100,000 on a car, that's your business and (your/you're) right to do so." There are two totally different meanings here.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
For example: "If you want to spend $100,000 on a car, that's your business and (your/you're) right to do so." There are two totally different meanings here.
True. But I wasn't talking about something like that. I meant something like '"Your going to the store".

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In the vernacular --
... should'a, could'a, would'a,

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Don't we have this thread annually or so? Still it's one of my favorites. It's very daring to write articles like this, as you have to get everything right or bear the scorn of a few readers.

I rather like "nip it in the butt."

Number 28 and 36 are changing; there is an increasing use of plural pronouns to avoid ones that connote gender. I wonder how long until we have to capitalize "Them" (as in Black and White) when used this way. Although I understand this, and often write s/he or (s)he, there is really no way to do this orally (except by saying "he or she"), and I still find it jarring.

And apparently, "literally" has been misused so badly and so long that the wrong meaning is now officially acceptable. See #4.

I gave up on 4 and 5 when my kid was in high school. No amount of correction was going to do it. And it's so easy. But it's another one that must be officially correct by now. Same with "to beg the question."

Most of these are actually errors of usage, not grammar, so: "escape goat" "card shark" "unphased." And how did "all intensive purposes" evade this list?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Ha. Great list! A foreword in a book is often mixed up with Forward, Foreward, and Fourword.

I often mix up the apostrophes 80s vs. 80's, CEOs vs. CEO's.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Ha. Great list! A foreword in a book is often mixed up with Forward, Foreward, and Fourword.

I often mix up the apostrophes 80s vs. 80's, CEOs vs. CEO's.
I always think the rule is to use an apostrophe when it's a contraction or a possessive. But I know I use them incorrectly all the time.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
This one is a bit irritating:

40. Eccetera
Pronounce "etcetera" exactly how it is spelled. Lots of people bristle when a speaker drops the "t."

It's really two words, "et" and "cetera" that have the meanings "and" (for "et") and ("the rest" - by implication "of similar things") in Latin. If you follow the suggestion here and pronounce it as a single word, not only are you substituting a high falutin 50 cent phrase for the simple 5 cent English phrase "and so forth," but you're doing it wrong (as many do with 50 cent words and phrases). That kind of makes me feel like the years of Latin I took in high school were a waste.

Of course, there is a diametrically opposed issue - the word "eccetera" is perfectly acceptable in Italian when pronounced with a hard "ch" for the "cc" part of the word and has the same meaning. Having lived in Italy for 4 years, I'm quite happy with people pronouncing it that way and don't consider it an embarrassing grammar mistake. If you try to pronounce it with an "x" for the "cc" though, I will get irritated.....

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I always think the rule is to use an apostrophe when it's a contraction or a possessive. But I know I use them incorrectly all the time.

The word "it's" is the one exception to this rule for possessives that I know of; the apostrophe there always indicates the contraction.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The word "it's" is the one exception to this rule for possessives that I know of; the apostrophe there always indicates the contraction.
Maybe I'm not understanding your statement, but what about word like that's, or what's. Don't those apostrophes always indicate the contraction?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe I'm not understanding your statement, but what about word like that's, or what's. Don't those apostrophes always indicate the contraction?

They do, but they generally never indicate the possessive (i.e., something belonging to "that" or "what"). With the pronoun "it" the possessive is "its" rather than "it's".

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Apostrophes are used in possessive forms of nouns, but not pronouns.
A Latin teacher told us that it represents the "i" in the genitive form of many third-declension nouns (doctor, doctoris, etc.) but I don't know if that was just his opinion.
And now I know why I can't remember where my glasses are. Too much of stuff like the above still stuck in there, fifty years later.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You know what I'm hearing a lot of lately, even on the news - people swallowing the hard "d's" and "t's" in the middle of words.

button becomes bu-un
didn't becomes di-nt

Annoying...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You know what I'm hearing a lot of lately, even on the news - people swallowing the hard "d's" and "t's" in the middle of words.

button becomes bu-un
didn't becomes di-nt

Annoying...
That drives me nuts too. There is a local news commentator who does this. Grating.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If we are discussing pronunciation, every sportscaster that puts a T in Wimbledon grates on my nerves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: jme

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

Annoying...

Or when people just can't seem to say "going to" and must shorten it to "gonna".

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of these are actually errors of usage, not grammar, so: "escape goat" "card shark" "unphased." And how did "all intensive purposes" evade this list?

Yes, and a lot of them are just using the wrong homonym such as peak vs. pique, should've vs. should of, or bated vs. baited.