• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian travel to the US or other countries C-19 What’s up?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds to me like being "barely" pregnant.
... and yet, 189,215 in the U.S. (892,721 globally) have died from it ...
Source: Johns Hopkins
Rather, just to use your analogy, a couple should not plan for the baby shower just because they had sex the night before. From the New York Times article:

"In Massachusetts, from 85 to 90 percent of people who tested positive in July with a cycle threshold of 40 would have been deemed negative if the threshold were 30 cycles, Dr. Mina said. “I would say that none of those people should be contact-traced, not one,” he said.
Other experts informed of these numbers were stunned.

“I’m really shocked that it could be that high — the proportion of people with high C.T. value results,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute. “Boy, does it really change the way we need to be thinking about testing.”

I think the number of cycles should be specified for every test result to help epidemiologists, clinicians and statisticians in determining a number of things including if the cause of death is actually Covid.

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
That sounds to me like being "barely" pregnant.
... and yet, 189,215 in the U.S. (892,721 globally) have died from it ...
Source: Johns Hopkins
I assume when you talk about the deaths you mean from c-19, not pregnancy.

Pregnancy is a poor analogy IMO, many people want to get pregnant and we don’t ban certain activities for everyone because some people would prefer to avoid getting pregnant (although social distancing be effective here as well). ;)

The vast majority of people who are exposed to c-19 will not display symptoms and the bodies natural defences will kick in to eliminate it.

Probably a better analogy would be an actual disease that people die from. Diabetes kills around 270,000 (2017 number from the ADA) Americans a year. We’ll probably end up around that many c-19 deaths this year if present trends hold out. There are a large number of people who are pre-diabetic who have elevated levels of blood sugar, but where it isn’t high enough to be classified as diabetic.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Rumor around my boarder town...no reopening on Sept. 21st. Given that the Federal governing powers in Canada have gone into hiding and Fauci in the USA has stated that the he does not wish to push the issue...seems that the boarder will remain closed to non-essential ground traffic.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well - I booked my first flight to the US since January. Westjet has a fantastic sale on right now, and given the uncertainty surrounding the land border reopening, we decided our Christmas trip to visit family in the LA area would be best done by air.

I must say it was one of the most pleasant experiences I’ve had buying plane tickets. I did pick a slightly higher airfare level, but the agent gave all six of us free preferred seats in both directions and was extremely friendly.

Hopefully they get some rationality back with regards to the 14 day quarantine on return - but I will need a bit of vacation and a break from the cold by then.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Well - I booked my first flight to the US since January. Westjet has a fantastic sale on right now, and given the uncertainty surrounding the land border reopening, we decided our Christmas trip to visit family in the LA area would be best done by air.

I must say it was one of the most pleasant experiences I’ve had buying plane tickets. I did pick a slightly higher airfare level, but the agent gave all six of us free preferred seats in both directions and was extremely friendly.

Hopefully they get some rationality back with regards to the 14 day quarantine on return - but I will need a bit of vacation and a break from the cold by then.

I would love to book too as I have seen the great WestJet deals. As a matter of fact, I have about 1500 travel dollars from my previous cancellations. The only concern for me is how long they have the 14 day self isolation when you return to Canada. My federal governmental contact thinks it may last until early February 2021. I suppose I could chance it as I’m semi retired now....hmmmm. What to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
February? Yikes! That will really kill the airlines.

If you've got the time and WestJet travel bank it may be worth your while. I think once we get into snow season in Alberta a warmer environment will be looking pretty good.

14 days is pretty much a killer for much of my business travel (usually 3-10 days). I can't see doing that too often. For two weeks in the desert with the family in late December, I'm willing to do 14 days on the return. I need a real vacation.

14-day quarantine should be easy to handle. I've been working from home since March 25th and can work remotely. My DW can choose her own availability for work or use the essential worker exemption if they really need her to come in. The only problem will be kids and school - but apparently the schools are supposed to provide work for kids required to isolate/quarantine. Who knows, they may add a truancy exception. ;)

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
February? Yikes! That will really kill the airlines.

If you've got the time and WestJet travel bank it may be worth your while. I think once we get into snow season in Alberta a warmer environment will be looking pretty good.

14 days is pretty much a killer for much of my business travel (usually 3-10 days). I can't see doing that too often. For two weeks in the desert with the family in late December, I'm willing to do 14 days on the return. I need a real vacation.

14-day quarantine should be easy to handle. I've been working from home since March 25th and can work remotely. My DW can choose her own availability for work or use the essential worker exemption if they really need her to come in. The only problem will be kids and school - but apparently the schools are supposed to provide work for kids required to isolate/quarantine. Who knows, they may add a truancy exception. ;)

Oh totally agree. I love Alberta Summers and Falls. With the Chinooks here, I at least get a break from Winter throughout. However, the lack of Sun really depresses me in the winter. Not to mention the month or 2 of real cold we do get. A break is always welcome.

You are right, extending the 14 day return quarantine will further kill the travel industry. Great companies like WestJet can only hang in so long. Sadly, I have found a disconnect between government bureaucrats who make 6 figures plus and super pensions and benefits and the private player just trying to live another day. It’s easy to say “we will wait for x when you know your money is coming in regardless of your decision.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many of you believe Canada will extend the travel restrictions after September 21st (14 day quarantine upon return) ? I do not think there is any public pressure for them to do it

Hopefully they will lower it to 9 or even 5 days (like Germany is now debating). They can also ask people to get tested upon return and quarantine just until the (negative) results come back.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How many of you believe Canada will extend the travel restrictions after September 21st (14 day quarantine upon return) ? I do not think there is any public pressure for them to do it

Hopefully they will lower it to 9 or even 5 days (like Germany is now debating). They can also ask people to get tested upon return and quarantine just until the (negative) results come back.
There are actually two separate orders. The US land border agreement expires on September 21.

The actual order for quarantine and banning travellers from other countries (other than the US) is in effect until September 30. Some provinces also have some quarantine orders overlaying the federal requirements.

I think both with definitely be extended until at least December (probably in one month increments like they have been doing). The US land border closure extension will likely be announced next week if the pattern holds.

I agree there doesn’t seem to be much pressure to find solutions on opening the border. The 14 days is excessive and arbitrary since the vast majority of cases manifest within 2-5 days after exposure. Pressure for change may happen as temperatures drop and airlines start laying off more staff.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are actually two separate orders. The US land border agreement expires on September 21.

The actual order for quarantine and banning travellers from other countries (other than the US) is in effect until September 30. Some provinces also have some quarantine orders overlaying the federal requirements.

I think both with definitely be extended until at least December (probably in one month increments like they have been doing). The US land border closure extension will likely be announced next week if the pattern holds.

I agree there doesn’t seem to be much pressure to find solutions on opening the border. The 14 days is excessive and arbitrary since the vast majority of cases manifest within 2-5 days after exposure. Pressure for change may happen as temperatures drop and airlines start laying off more staff.
I agree with you, I do not see this changed for the better anytime soon. I believe that many Canadians travel abroad but even more do not on a regular basis. I do not have data to prove this but based on the median income I assume that many cannot afford to travel every year. Since some of those that travel regularly are genuinely concerned about travelling, when you add those that do not travel, in the polls you will always have a lot more people who say they want the restrictions kept in place.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

There may be pressure for governments to change as businesses lay more off but I have found through first hand experience that governments don’t care. I think the disconnect comes from the fact that public servants still collect their pay cheques and benefits while their decisions destroy many a business.

They may appear concerned over reduced government coffers because of business failures and increased lay offs, but in reality their pay cheque’s are still direct deposited like clockwork.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Reports on the CBC news this evening that tomorrow the Canadian Gov't will formally announce the Can/US border will remain closed to non essential travel until Oct. 21st. I bet it will be extended past that as well.

-Diane

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Reports on the CBC news this evening that tomorrow the Canadian Gov't will formally announce the Can/US border will remain closed to non essential travel until Oct. 21st. I bet it will be extended past that as well.

-Diane
My guess is January 21.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

My guess is January 21.
Yes, I think it will be January at the earliest.

Guess I'll be be calling RCI tomorrow to cancel both our fall trips and see how long they'll extend our points past their expiry dates without costing us a bundle.
One of our weeks (added to 1of the points exchanges) is one of those $99 RCI specials they had on sale a few months ago. I wonder if they'll let us reschedule that or if they'll refund us so we can rebook at full price? :(

-Diane

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
My guess is January 21.

I think your guess is a good one. However, should there be any perceived spikes in cases in the US, expect longer. If there was a proven vaccine though, expect sooner.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We had reservations in Yellowknife for tomorrow. I cancelled this reservation months ago thinking Canada would surely be open by today. I wonder how those Northern Lights are looking up north ? Maybe next year.

Bill

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think your guess is a good one. However, should there be any perceived spikes in cases in the US, expect longer. If there was a proven vaccine though, expect sooner.
The 21st also is the day after January 20 which is an important day south of the border. ;)

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had reservations in Yellowknife for tomorrow. I cancelled this reservation months ago thinking Canada would surely be open by today. I wonder how those Northern Lights are looking up north ? Maybe next year.

Bill
Yes - the aurora borealis are quite the sight. Too bad you won’t get to see it this year. Let’s cross our fingers that 2021 will be a rebound year.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the majority of Canadians won’t be travelling anywhere in the near future due to health insurance restrictions. Our policy does not cover Covid-related illness. That should change hopefully, when travel advisories are lifted. It’s going to be a long winter if we can’t travel down south to our mobile home park.

Dori

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I think the majority of Canadians won’t be travelling anywhere in the near future due to health insurance restrictions. Our policy does not cover Covid-related illness. That should change hopefully, when travel advisories are lifted. It’s going to be a long winter if we can’t travel down south to our mobile home park.

Dori

Just FYI, I read today that Manulife has joined 2 others to offer covid travel and medical insurance.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Dori

DH is still wanting to return to Belize this winter if they get their act together and slow the virus transmission down in the country. He called his insurance provider with his pension plan (normally gives us 90 days out of country coverage) and they they said right now they wont even cover a broken arm, let alone any Covid related illness, if we travel out of country!

You are right, it is looking like a long cold winter for a lot of us! :cry:

~Diane

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Can Canadians purchase trip insurance or does International travel violate your regular policy ?

Bill

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can Canadians purchase trip insurance or does International travel violate your regular policy ?

Bill
“Universal health” coverage in Canada isn’t universal. There is a small amount for out of country payments, but it’s extremely small and doesn’t come close to covering what is necessary. If you are traveling out of country as a Canadian you really should buy a policy in the private market that will cover your health care needs.

Many employers have extended health insurance plans that cover things that government insurance does not (dental, optical, drugs). Travel is usually also included in those employer policies. I know Sunlife (my employers policy) is still providing out-of-country medical coverage for up to 30 days - including immediate family. They won’t cover costs for quarantine or flight cancellations due to covid - so we would be on our own for that.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

Bill

Yes, Canadians can buy travel insurance and no it doesn’t violate our “regular policy.” I think you mean “regular policy” to be our public health care system. It isn’t a policy so I am not sure. Health care here only pays a very small portion of any health travel costs internationally so you are very wise to carry travel health insurance. It’s cheap anyway. I think the last time I took out a 10 million dollar health policy it was 7 USD a day. Some people just bank on their credit card insurance (as part of their benefits) but I like to actually buy specific insurance. I learned that from my dad years ago. He was in Yuma, AZ and got bilateral pneumonia and almost died. He was in intensive care for 5 days and the bill was just under 100 k. Anyway, his health insurance that cost him 300 bucks covered the entire cost. Yes, don’t leave home without it.

As for other travel insurance, adding on does not affect any other insurance.