• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any recent stays at Newport Coast Villas?

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
We have a week at NCV the last week of October, and it will be our first since COVID, having cancelled Waiohai and multiple previously scheduled reservations since last March. We have too many weeks expiring soon, so would really like to use this, and think NCV might be one of the most easy, outdoor oriented locations, although Southern California has had a higher COVID rate than Northern California. Any impressions of how the resort is handling the COVID precautions, and if you were able to enjoy some of the many coastal activities we normally expect would be most welcome. We are "seniors", so are trying to avoid flying for now. Next up in November will be Timber Lodge, so observations welcome on that resort as well. Thanks!

kyu95

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villa
Just stayed over the Labor Day weekend. The resort was full. Not as crowded as pre-COVID era so I must assume that when they said full, I believe they were based on the reduced capacity.
The main pool and the bar within the main pool were open. The market place was open. The rest of amenities were closed.

All employees were very professional and attentive to COVID social distancing.
However, most of the guests were not. Other than a few older people, most young people did not have their masks on when they were outside.
Although the Marriott states the face covering is mandatory, it was not enforced at least when I was out.
Maybe it was just the Labor Day weekend and many teenagers and young people were there.

Since we were traveling with a toddler, we did not use any amenities including the pool.
Visited at 9am just to how it is and there were like 2 people in the entire main pool on Sunday morning.

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Thanks. We'll not be there over a holiday, except Halloween, which with no kids along won't involve us this year, or maybe anyone. Was the beach shuttle eliminated also?

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this, as I was coming here to ask the same. Kyu95, are you saying that only the main pool was open and not the other two? I called and asked and didn't get that impression, but I may not have asked specifically enough. The gal told me that the pools (at least I thought she said pools) were open first come, first served at 50% capacity. Not sure how they are enforcing that. Like is there a line outside the gate waiting for people to leave??? She said that the pools were reaching capacity and in the same breath said that the shuttle was open so we could go to the beach instead. That is currently the only shuttle they have running Ann in CA. We are more pool people though. Kyu95, did you notice if the firepits are open? What about the barbecues? I certainly hope they are, but didn't think to ask. I was told that there are no activities whatsoever. We are headed there Sunday for 12 days. Bringing the grands and will be distance learning in the mornings, so it may be hard to secure spots at the pool.

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at NCV now. All three pools are open with reduced capacity. The slide at the bottom is closed. The BBQs are open. The pool bar and the Marketplace are both open. Tennis courts are open. The shuttle is running only to the beach. Masks are required. This is our third stay this year and I feel Marriott is doing an excellent job making us feel safe at this location. We do wipe down things when we come into our villa but this time they even gave us a pack of wipes. They have encased the TV remotes in plastic which you can leave on & access all of the keys. Couch pillows and things like that have been eliminated. The fitness center is closed of course. I don't believe the fire pits are open. We shelter here like we do at home (with the ocean view and beach walks). I will say the air quality for the last three days has been mostly in the orange (unhealthy) level because of the fire in the San Gabriel Mountains. We actually are thinking of leaving early because of this as this is a 15 day stay and if I have to be stuck inside, I would rather be in my house where I have a few exercise machines. So check the air quality!

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am concerned about the air quality. Hard to escape the smoke anywhere in Cali right now. We live on the Central Coast. Hoping they get the Bobcat fire under control within the next week and it doesn't affect our whole stay. We will be very disappointed if the fire pits are closed as we frequent them. We were hoping that they would just remove half the chairs or something like that.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have a week at NCV the last week of October, and it will be our first since COVID, having cancelled Waiohai and multiple previously scheduled reservations since last March. We have too many weeks expiring soon, so would really like to use this, and think NCV might be one of the most easy, outdoor oriented locations, although Southern California has had a higher COVID rate than Northern California. Any impressions of how the resort is handling the COVID precautions, and if you were able to enjoy some of the many coastal activities we normally expect would be most welcome. We are "seniors", so are trying to avoid flying for now. Next up in November will be Timber Lodge, so observations welcome on that resort as well. Thanks!

We stayed at NCV for a week ending Sept. 6 and felt very comfortable there. While Orange County had about 51,000 cases and almost 1,100 deaths as of yesterday, Newport Beach, Newport Coast, Laguna Beach, Corona Del Mar and Dana Point (areas along the coast) are relatively low in each category. The resort requires masks in the lobby and marketplace, but not outside unless you are walking around the pool area or can’t social distance. I asked about the coast in general and was told the same thing. The worst areas in OC are Santa Ana and Anaheim, so we made sure to stay away from them.

All of the pools were open and weren’t overcrowded when we wanted to use one. The staff also sanitized the chairs.

We would go back in a heart beat.

We just arrived at Timber Lodge today for a three night stay. There is smoke in the air, but it wasn’t as bad as an area south of here along Highway 395. We drove up from Las Vegas to see June Lake and Mono Lake, both of which were much more smokey.

I am not sure what occupancy is like here, but it didn’t seem crowded at all. You need to wear a mask in the lobby and elevators. The pool is open, but not the hot tub. We ate at the cafe in Harrah’s and they social distanced the tables and booths. Of course, on the CA side you need to sit outside at restaurants. We saw several that were open.

Best regards.

Mike

Last edited:

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Thanks. We'll not be there over a holiday, except Halloween, which with no kids along won't involve us this year, or maybe anyone. Was the beach shuttle eliminated also?
Make sure you take a ride over to Balboa Island..we were there last Halloween and many homes were nicely decorated and the weather was absolutely stunning.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
We currently live in Northern California but own 2 homes in Southern California 20 minutes from the Marriott. We definitely feel safer in SoCal Covid included. I wouldn’t hesitate to go. We drive home about every 6 weeks. More activities and more restaurants are available in SoCal. You won’t be disappointed. Yes, I am 100% biased. 4 more months and we will kiss NCal goodbye forever, happy dance.

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm glad you posted this, as I was coming here to ask the same. Kyu95, are you saying that only the main pool was open and not the other two? I called and asked and didn't get that impression, but I may not have asked specifically enough. The gal told me that the pools (at least I thought she said pools) were open first come, first served at 50% capacity. Not sure how they are enforcing that. Like is there a line outside the gate waiting for people to leave??? She said that the pools were reaching capacity and in the same breath said that the shuttle was open so we could go to the beach instead. That is currently the only shuttle they have running Ann in CA. We are more pool people though. Kyu95, did you notice if the firepits are open? What about the barbecues? I certainly hope they are, but didn't think to ask. I was told that there are no activities whatsoever. We are headed there Sunday for 12 days. Bringing the grands and will be distance learning in the mornings, so it may be hard to secure spots at the pool.

Many thanks everyone! Really appreciate all the detail. We love the little Balboa ferry so always looking for an excuse to steer my husband onto it! We have clear air after almost a month of "unhealthy" smokey air here in Healdsburg, so it feels like getting out of prison to be able to be out gardening without those awful N-95 masks, but not sure how long it will last. I grew up in San Diego and still love both Northern and Southern California, just wish we had more "drive to" Marriott resorts on the West Coast right now. Trying to figure out how far out to book Waiohai now, as I do not believe the new October 15th date will hold up. Maybe May? Thanks again. Ann

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Make sure you take a ride over to Balboa Island..we were there last Halloween and many homes were nicely decorated and the weather was absolutely stunning.
I lived on Balboa Island for awhile when I was attending college at UCI. So much fun.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I lived on Balboa Island for awhile when I was attending college at UCI. So much fun.
We have vacationed in San Francisco..San Diego and Los Angeles and IMHO think NCV,Newport Beach and OC has some of the best weather..beaches and fun things to do in all of California..we took the Catalina flyer from Balboa out to Catalina Island for a day trip that was awesome.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My wife did as well. I heard parking was fun. Go anteaters.
I really don't remember parking issues, but it was a long time ago. The biggest problem was if you wanted to live there during the summer was finding something affordable. Rentals rates went way up then.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed few weeks at the end of August. Had a great time without any issue whatsoever.

Had a 4th floor Villa with amazing views. All pools were open and not full as in the past.

Business center and Gym were closed.

If Hawaii stays closed around Christmas and New year, we will be back to NCV again.