• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New HGVC owner, advice appreciated!

Balke1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany
Hi, I just came across this forum, and now realize I should’ve done my research before the presentation lol. I’m still in my rescission period and would really appreciate any advice. I wasn’t expecting to buy but the HGVC program seemed like it would fit my needs well and the perpetuity seemed very valuable to me. I asked the sales folks about resales and they acted as if RedWeek, resales etc are all scams. How can one be certain resale packages are legit? I bought 3400 gold annual points with an 8k point sign on bonus for $20k (Technically for the Tuscany resort in Orlando, but apparently that only matters for the home week early booking window) Looking at resale values on here and RedWeek, that seems like a lot but I looked at the reservation system and it looked like I could use points to cover my two big annual vacations plus a short one or two during low demand seasons. How can I ensure apples to apples when looking at resale packages? Thank you!!!

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Hi, I just came across this forum, and now realize I should’ve done my research before the presentation lol. I’m still in my rescission period and would really appreciate any advice. I wasn’t expecting to buy but the HGVC program seemed like it would fit my needs well and the perpetuity seemed very valuable to me. I asked the sales folks about resales and they acted as if RedWeek, resales etc are all scams. How can one be certain resale packages are legit? I bought 3400 gold annual points with an 8k point sign on bonus for $20k (Technically for the Tuscany resort in Orlando, but apparently that only matters for the home week early booking window) Looking at resale values on here and RedWeek, that seems like a lot but I looked at the reservation system and it looked like I could use points to cover my two big annual vacations plus a short one or two during low demand seasons. How can I ensure apples to apples when looking at resale packages? Thank you!!!

Quickly...

1. Pay $15 for an annual membership to TUG. Best use of 3-Starbucks-Coffees money ever.

2. RESCIND! RESCIND! RESCIND!!! Never buy from the developer. You can get 3400 gold points for $500 or less without breaking a sweat on the resale market! Your maintenance fees at Tuscany would probably make it tough to GIVE your 3400 points away eventually - a bitter pill to swallow after a $20k investment.

3. Apples to apples comparison are going to involve:
a. MAINTENANCE FEES. Once purchasing, you are required to pay these annually as long as you own the deed. Find your desired point value but seek listings with the lowest maintenance fees (generally the Vegas properties)
b. SEASON OF POINTS - platinum vs gold. Platinum points listings generally cost more but result in lower maintenance fees (for the same point values) and have higher resale value. Gold is generally the converse of each part of the previous sentence.
c. LOCATION. A handful of properties are more difficult to reserve than others. It can be of benefit to own at a certain location depending on needs. Your Mileage May Vary on this one.
d. CLOSING COSTS. Some listings on eBay, TUG or Redweek have sweeteners like “seller pays closing costs” or “seller pays transfer fees”.

4. Lots of reputable sellers on TUG and Redweek especially. Some good ones on eBay also but check the seller ratings for those auctions. Stay away from anyone with only like 5-10 ratings.

5. Once you get past the smarmy tactics of their sales department, HGVC is a fantastic timeshare company that treats its owners (even those via resale like me) very well.

6. Did I mention paying for a TUG membership?? SOOOO much information and so many quality, experienced contributors.

Happy Hunting and follow the recission instructions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
that is worth about $1500 on the resale market

My suggestion is to rescind and then buy HGCV resale, 7,000 points Platinum week or so

Balke1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany
that is worth about $1500 on the resale market

My suggestion is to rescind and then buy HGCV resale, 7,000 points Platinum week or so

Thanks for the replies...what am I missing here?? Why would someone sell two to three weeks of vacation per year forever for $1500?

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
You pay annual maintenance fees which covers the cost of the vacations! Also, 2-3 weeks MY BUTT! With 3400 annual points?? Haha! Those sales people are at it again (lies!)

100% agree with the advice given above, especially the “Your maintenance fees at Tuscany would probably make it tough to GIVE your 3400 points away eventually - a bitter pill to swallow after a $20k investment” comment from @giowop

RESCIND IMMEDIATELY!!! Do your research! Trust us, even if you (foolishly) decided you wanted to buy this small contract from the developer later on, this “deal” will still be there when you are ready! RESCIND NOW!!!

Btw, I am an HGVC owner (love my HGVC) and purchased my 3500 Platinum Studio loaded account (had all points for the current year available and maintenance fee already paid by prior owner so I got 3500 “free points” as compared to your 8k points bonus) at Elara in Las Vegas for $147.50 on eBay last year...

Last edited:

Balke1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany
You pay annual maintenance fees which covers the cost of the vacations! Also, 2-3 weeks MY BUTT! With 3400 annual points?? Haha! Those sales people are at it again (lies!)

100% agree with the advice given above, especially the “Your maintenance fees at Tuscany would probably make it tough to GIVE your 3400 points away eventually - a bitter pill to swallow after a $20k investment” comment from @giowop

RESCIND IMMEDIATELY!!! Do your research! Trust us, even if you (foolishly) decided you wanted to buy this small contract from the developer later on, this “deal” will still be there when you are ready! RESCIND NOW!!!

Btw, I am an HGVC owner (love my HGVC) and purchased my 3500 Platinum Studio loaded account (had all points for the current year available and maintenance fee already paid by prior owner so I got 3500 “free points” as compared to your 8k points bonus) at Elara in Las Vegas for $147.50 on eBay last year...

Thanks! When you buy on eBay how do you ensure it’s a valid “deed”? And then how do you load those points to your HGVC account?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
First things first, you only have a very limited time to rescind (I agree with previous advice already given). Let's get that done first. You have plenty of time to research resales after that is done. As for purchasing resales, then I would suggest purchasing from a reputable TS resales broker.

HGVC Resale Sources: The TUG Marketplace (see link above), Redweek and...
These reputable TS brokers...
Judi Kozlowski -- www.judikoz.com
Seth Nock * crew -- www.sellingtimeshares.net
Diane Nadeau -- www.timesharebrokersales.com
Syed Samad -- www.advantagevacation.com
Carl Thomas -- www.timeshare-resale.com
@Grammarhero, but please don’t check my post for grammar or spelling errors.

Last edited:

semicycler

TUG Member
Reaction score
And your next question: Resales are really cheap compared to buying from the developer directly. What's the catch?

Yup, buying directly from the developer costs as much as 10X more than buying resale. There is one and only one difference. Buying resale does not count towards Elite membership. You need to purchase points directly for them to count towards Elite. Elite starts at 14000 annual points. Elite Plus is 24000 annual points. Elite Premier is 34000 points. That's a ton of required points and annual maintenance fees that go along with it. The added benefit of Elite? You get a special check in line and special room key. Yup, silly huh? OK, yes there are other benefits like Gold Hilton Honors instead of Silver and a small open season discount. But in reality these are tiny "favors" for overpaying for Elite. See the Elite benefits here: https://www.hiltongrandvacations.co...-hilton-grand-vacations-club-membership-tiers

Yes there are ways to buy resale and have it count towards Elite but you need to buy at special affiliated resorts. Most people do not go this route though. Rescind and buy resale. The program is great overall. Buying directly from the developer is not though.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Thanks! When you buy on eBay how do you ensure it’s a valid “deed”? And then how do you load those points to your HGVC account?
@Balke1 , the acct is loaded automatically by HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacations Club). what I meant is the previous owner whom I purchased this from paid the annual maintenance fee (due at end of the year prior to the next year starting) so when I got it the owner had paid the year’s MF but had not used any of the points.

100% agree with @GT75 , stop writing to us for now and go RESCIND IMMEDIATELY! I know you may be skeptical and trying to decide “who’s right? These people on this website or the HGVC sales people?”.... who do you think has more to gain from your inaction (you not cancelling), a group of folks who don’t know you and have absolutely no financial gain when they give you advice OR the salesperson who just earned a commission off you $20k purchase? RESCIND ASAP and come back and ask all the questions in the world and do your research and then buy again! Any offer you got from HGVC will be available later!! But trust me, you won’t go back to them...

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
^^^^^ I 100% agree that your FIRST HGCV buy should be from a established broker and NOT eBay as too many mistakes can be made buying a timeshare on eBay for a newbie
Agree! My transaction went smoothly, but I should point out that I knew the seller (found good reviews on them here, they just also happen to sell on eBay) and I even called them and chatted about the unit I was purchasing.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
1. RESCIND, now!
The scam is the absurd prices that the timeshare systems charge for a retail-sale.
A 3400-point unit is quite a low number of points and limits your flexibility.
HGVC resale buyers get the same benefits as a retail, except only counting for elite.
You should only have to pay $0.50-$1.00 per point. Some sellers are very motivated.

2. Get an Estoppel.
For a fee ($70), HGVC will issue an "estoppel" which shows the status of the seller.
It's not the same as title insurance (expensive), but shows if it's paid up to date.
The closing agent should supply that to you.

3. HGVC is a good system.
Apart from the sales division, the system is very flexible and consumer friendly.
Resorts are uniformly high quality, well-staffed and well-maintained.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Just as a point of reference, if you are patient you can get some very good deals for much less that what you’ve paid. I bought 7000 platinum points resale for a total cost of about $3000 including all fees and extras such as title insurance.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
3 Rs of Timeshares:

1) Rescind Now. You only have a few days or you are stuck forever and will regret. You can always buy that later if you change your mind.
2) Research what you want to buy
3) Buy Resale (or Rent)

HGVC is a great system. Many of us (including me) purchased our first with developer and were too late to rescind. I still kick myself for this. We now buy resale and own 2 HGVC; 1 Vistana. With $20k you can lose 75% you've lost $15k almost guaranteed. If you spend $4k on a resale and lose 75% you've only lost $3k but the likelihood of such a loss is smaller. Which is the bigger risk? losing 15k Developer? or losing 3k resale?

Maintenance fees and rights to the units are the same if you buy developer or resale but like all real estate you need to research which property you buy. Rescind and then we can help you get the best bang for your buck.

Last edited:

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Just as a point of reference, if you are patient you can get some very good deals for much less that what you’ve paid. I bought 7000 platinum points resale for a total cost of about $3000 including all fees and extras such as title insurance.

Still bitter... :)

BK2019

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Saratoga Springs
HGVC Paradise
People give away Gold season units. You can get a boat load of HGVC points on the resale market for less than $20K, plus you will have something that you should be able to get most if not all of your money if you sale in the future.

Balke1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany
Thanks for all of the awesome information! This forum has saved me a great deal of money and I’m sure even greater headaches. Smh. Live and learn. I’m looking at eBay listings and see a few good deals. Based on everyone’s experience, is now generally a good time to buy? (Is there somewhere I can go for historical data other than sold eBay listings on HGVC sales like MLS or Trulia for home sales?) thx!

Last edited:

Balke1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany

Thanks for the tips. I am looking in the ballpark of 5k to 7k annual points in the HGVC program. I also read another thread in this forum about getting in low with MVC and then renting points for reservations to avoid upfront capex. I’m not sure which way to go but eBay looks like it has more HVGC than MVC listings.

semicycler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on everyone’s experience, is now generally a good time to buy?

Yes it is. The best advice is buy the most points for the least cost - up front and ongoing. For most this translates to buying platinum 2-bed 7000 pts, platinum 1-bed 4800 pts, or gold 2-bed 5000 pts at a property with low maintenance fees like in Vegas. Historically these weeks go for about $1 per point or more on the resale market. Today they seem to sell for just under a $1 per point, varying based on location and maintenance fees (low mf resorts or desirable locations are higher). This gets you the highest points with the lowest annual cost. But there is the upfront buy in cost.

If you want to minimize up front costs, there are gold, silver, or any season every-other-year (EOY) resale properties for cheap, sometimes people even giving them away with you paying just closing costs. This is a great way to get into the program but the total points can be low with higher annual maintenance fees. And when you want to eventually sell it you will have some problems finding a buyer.

Owning at a particular resort lets you book the full week you own at the 12-month mark. All other bookings are at 9-months out (any other property or other than the full week of what you own at the location you own). So location matters for some if you want to ensure you can get that week at your home resort before the rest of the club starts booking at 9-months out. Otherwise the saying is "points are points", meaning it doesn't matter where you own, but you compete with everyone for reservations 9-months out. It's only a problem in high demand locations.

So yes, now is a buyers market. I'm guessing it will remain this way at least through the winter. So take your time, research properties, do the upfront vs ongoing cost analysis, and eventually dive in.

Balke1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany
Yes it is. The best advice is buy the most points for the least cost - up front and ongoing. For most this translates to buying platinum 2-bed 7000 pts, platinum 1-bed 4800 pts, or gold 2-bed 5000 pts at a property with low maintenance fees like in Vegas. Historically these weeks go for about $1 per point or more on the resale market. Today they seem to sell for just under a $1 per point, varying based on location and maintenance fees (low mf resorts or desirable locations are higher). This gets you the highest points with the lowest annual cost. But there is the upfront buy in cost.

If you want to minimize up front costs, there are gold, silver, or any season every-other-year (EOY) resale properties for cheap, sometimes people even giving them away with you paying just closing costs. This is a great way to get into the program but the total points can be low with higher annual maintenance fees. And when you want to eventually sell it you will have some problems finding a buyer.

Owning at a particular resort lets you book the full week you own at the 12-month mark. All other bookings are at 9-months out (any other property or other than the full week of what you own at the location you own). So location matters for some if you want to ensure you can get that week at your home resort before the rest of the club starts booking at 9-months out. Otherwise the saying is "points are points", meaning it doesn't matter where you own, but you compete with everyone for reservations 9-months out. It's only a problem in high demand locations.

So yes, now is a buyers market. I'm guessing it will remain this way at least through the winter. So take your time, research properties, do the upfront vs ongoing cost analysis, and eventually dive in.

Thank you for the information. What are the high level steps for purchasing on eBay? I just want to make sure I don’t make a glaring error like I was about to do buying retail.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Thank you for the information. What are the high level steps for purchasing on eBay? I just want to make sure I don’t make a glaring error like I was about to do buying retail.
I would maybe focus your first purchase through a broker. RedWeek often has good listings, and there are other sites available.

eBay has a lot of risks with shady sellers - with a broker you at least have someone to follow up with in the transaction and you’ll be walked through the steps.

Once you’re more experienced and know what to watch for in listings and the estoppel, eBay may be a good platform. I’ve bought three timeshares resale on RedWeek and would do so again. I’m still watching eBay for the occasional contract that I may be interested in.

semicycler

TUG Member
Reaction score

The first thing you need to research is HGVC's Right of First Refusal (ROFR) policy for resales. Basically all resale units submit a contract to HGVC listing what is being sold and for how much. The seller or the closing company takes care of this. HGVC then has the option to buy that property for that exact price from the seller, as a priority over the buyer. If they pass up on the opportunity then the sale continues with the original buyer, often referred to as "passing ROFR". This process can take 30 days or more at times. The ROFR process is a way for HGVC to buy back properties on the cheap and resell them to others at highly inflated prices (like your 'almost' purchase from the presentation you went to :O ). It also has the benefit of keeping the resale prices from sinking to zero.

I haven't kept up with ROFR stats in a while but HGVC tends to go in waves - periods where they exercise ROFR on almost everything followed by periods where nothing seems to get snatched up by HGVC. The best properties at insanely low prices always get snatched up by HGVC though. So if you see a historical sale of a platinum 3-bed in Hawaii or NYC for a really cheap price, chances are that one did not pass ROFR. Same thing with eBay sales that seem way too low - I really doubt it passes ROFR.

There are a few timeshare realtors out there that are really good at knowing what properties and what prices will pass ROFR. Judi's name comes up often, there are others (see GT75's post #7 above). My first TS was bought through Judi. My other two through eBay a few years later. You can't go wrong using a realtor on your first purchase. It definitely gives you security and piece of mind knowing you are not being scammed. And honestly the price you pay through a realtor is really close to going it alone. And it's still resale so WAY CHEAPER than buying direct. I highly recommend going this route for your first purchase too.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I second the recommendation of working with a broker. I have bought 4 contracts, 3 through brokers recommended above and never had an issue. You can find very good deals through brokers and you can always negotiate from the asking price.

However, I will respectfully disagree that one needs to research the ROFR trends -- just find and make an offer that you are comfortable with, and the closing company will handle the ROFR process with HGV. If it passes, great! If not, you are not out any money and you just find another deal.

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I second the recommendation of working with a broker. I have bought 4 contracts, 3 through brokers recommended above and never had an issue. You can find very good deals through brokers and you can always negotiate from the asking price.

However, I will respectfully disagree that one needs to research the ROFR trends -- just find and make an offer that you are comfortable with, and the closing company will handle the ROFR process with HGV. If it passes, great! If not, you are not out any money and you just find another deal.

Kurt

I agree with @PigsDad about ROFR. It costs you nothing to put an offer in and if it gets taken, so be it. There have been some strange reports where one deed has been taken and the exact same deed at a lower price was not. There seems to be no rhyme or reason except they seem of exercise less later in the year.

With all of that being said, my understanding is they aren’t really exercising right ROFR right now. Make an offer and have at it. If you are really worried about ROFR (you shouldn’t be), purchase at The Flamingo. They don’t have the right to exercise. Most of the affiliates don’t either, but the MF’s tend to be higher there.

We bought our deed through Redweek and the process was fine. It was slow and their title company they were using wasn‘t very good, but they aren’t using them anymore. The TUG marketplace has a section for sold deeds, but I’m not sure how accurate it is.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Being aware of the possibility of ROFR is probably sufficient. As was said, You shouldn’t be out any money if it doesn’t pass.

My recent purchase passed ROFR in a week. My eBay seller was buyandselltimesharescom