• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why Is Orlando Taking So Long to Recover?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We checked in to Sheraton Vistana Villages today. Occupancy is 18%. Nothing is open, which we knew. You can really only swim in the pools. They did open up the towel exchange at the Bella and Key West pools again. You previously had to get towels at the front desk.

I asked at check in what occupancy was over Labor Day weekend and they said it may have gotten up to 30%. We also recently visited three beach resorts and they have all been busy. Occupancy probably upward of 80%. So that has me wondering, what is it about Orlando that is unappealing? Is it simply the over supply? These resorts probably run about 80% occupancy throughout the year. But over several stays after WDW reopened occupancy has pretty much been in the same 20% range.

I suspect it won't go much higher until Thanksgiving and then drop back down until Christmas and New Year's. Why is Orlando taking so much longer to recover than beach locations?

Everhone talks about Hawaii because they are essentially at 0% occupancy, but I don't think Orlando is very far behind and there are no travel restrictions with Orlando.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We checked in to Sheraton Vistana Villages today. Occupancy is 18%. Nothing is open, which we knew. You can really only swim in the pools. They did open up the towel exchange at the Bella and Key West pools again. You previously had to get towels at the front desk.

I asked at check in what occupancy was over Labor Day weekend and they said it may have gotten up to 30%. We also recently visited three beach resorts and they have all been busy. Occupancy probably upward of 80%. So that has me wondering, what is it about Orlando that is unappealing? Is it simply the over supply? These resorts probably run about 80% occupancy throughout the year. But over several stays after WDW reopened occupancy has pretty much been in the same 20% range.

I suspect it won't go much higher until Thanksgiving and then drop back down until Christmas and New Year's. Why is Orlando taking so much longer to recover than beach locations?

Everhone talks about Hawaii because they are essentially at 0% occupancy, but I don't think Orlando is very far behind and there are no travel restrictions with Orlando.
Are the theme parks open? Is there much else to do if they are not? Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with Orlando. We were just in Lake Tahoe and at least over Labor Day the place was hopping. And our local beaches have also been very busy. Both locations offer a lot of outside activities such as hiking or hanging out at the beach.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Are the theme parks open? Is there much else to do if they are not? Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with Orlando. We were just in Lake Tahoe and at least over Labor Day the place was hopping. And our local beaches have also been very busy. Both locations offer a lot of outside activities such as hiking or hanging out at the beach.
Yes, the theme parks are open. Reservations and park tickets are required. WIth Disney however, someone not staying on property can only make three reservations at a time. So I suspect that is keeping many people away who may want a longer trip because there is no guaranty you can get additional reservations once you use the first one up. So if you come, only expect to go three times to the Disney parks.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Yes, the theme parks are open. Reservations and park tickets are required. WIth Disney however, someone not staying on property can only make three reservations at a time. So I suspect that is keeping many people away who may want a longer trip because there is no guaranty you can get additional reservations once you use the first one up. So if you come, only expect to go three times to the Disney parks.
Maybe it's a combo of some people not being ready to go to theme parks, plus those who don't like the new reservation policy. Plus the weather. Isn't it uncomfortable there right now? I haven't been but my sister went for her birthday a couple of years ago in mid-September. She is a DL passholder who loves, loves Disney and she said that she would never go back to Orlando for her birthday because it was hot and sticky.

My guess is that it is a bunch of little things that add up to a big drop in tourism.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
There are restrictions on Canadians which effectively bans trips south of the border (you can't drive down, and even if you go by air there is a 14-day quarantine on return). I'm not sure how significant of a crowd that would be normally, but I expect it isn't insignificant.

Parks are limiting entry. School is back in, and the older generations who would normally travel this time of year are probably hesitant about the health risks.

Also, going to Orlando in the summer months (June-September) has never really appealed to us since it is too hot and humid. I would much rather go to a beach location or the mountains in summer. Temperatures seem to be more moderate there. We've always liked going to Orlando in the December to April period.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
No one wants to deal with quarantines. Northern states don’t want to be bothered with having to fill out forms and be made to stay home when they get back up north. I guess it’s a way to keep people in their home state and spend money closer to home. Universal was at its COVID capacity over Labor Day weekend, annual pass holders were locked out when it hit capacity. Also, many southern states schools start in August so it makes sense.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Orlando has been such a major international destination... but not now due to quarantine rules.
The economies of many countries have suffered... less leisure spending.
Fewer people are flying on vacation... beach trips are more likely to be drive-to.
People who had planned an expensive "Disney trip of a lifetime" delayed plans since so much of the entertainment at the parks has been cancelled (shows, parades, fireworks).
Orlando theme parks have offered special deals to get Florida residents to come... many of them don't stay for a week at a timeshare.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's a mixture of things:

1) A lot of people are afraid to travel.
2) A lot of people have more pressing concerns than travel (job less, income loss, etc).
3) People are scared to visit the parks.
4) Orlando is soooo built out.
5) Various reasons due to COVID. For example, a guy on my team at work booked flights from Denver to Orlando for $99 per person roundtrip and was going to be able to take advantage of a getaway for about $330 in a 2 bedroom. He was really excited about going, but realized if they went to the parks they would need to wear masks the entire time. His wife works in healthcare and wears a mask 9 hours a day and decided that it wouldn't be a vacation for them if she wore a mask the whole time. They are not anti maskers by any means, it just isn't the experience that they want on vacation.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I should add that I was super close to booking a DVC week via RCI for our fall break, but with little kids it just isn't the experience that we would like. I understand why they don't have parades or character greetings but that is the biggest draw for the age of our kdis. One of our boys is only 38 inches tall which means he wouldn't be able to go on a lot of rides that his twin brother and older sister can go on (Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Dinosaur, etc, etc).

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think it's a mixture of things:

1) A lot of people are afraid to travel.
2) A lot of people have more pressing concerns than travel (job less, income loss, etc).
3) People are scared to visit the parks.
4) Orlando is soooo built out.
5) Various reasons due to COVID. For example, a guy on my team at work booked flights from Denver to Orlando for $99 per person roundtrip and was going to be able to take advantage of a getaway for about $330 in a 2 bedroom. He was really excited about going, but realized if they went to the parks they would need to wear masks the entire time. His wife works in healthcare and wears a mask 9 hours a day and decided that it wouldn't be a vacation for them if she wore a mask the whole time. They are not anti maskers by any means, it just isn't the experience that they want on vacation.

they should have done it. The masks are fine. You get so used to them. No one needs an N95 mask. They lost out! Best time to be away is NOW!I have 21K restricted star options left and I’m trying to get a weekend in the Bahamas in October if I can. As long as Atlantis opens Oct.15th. If I could go back to Orlando and do DVC and universal I would in a heart beat.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
they should have done it. The masks are fine. You get so used to them. No one needs an N95 mask. They lost out! Best time to be away is NOW!I have 21K restricted star options left and I’m trying to get a weekend in the Bahamas in October if I can. As long as Atlantis opens Oct.15th. If I could go back to Orlando and do DVC and universal I would in a heart beat.
Oh I agree completely. I really think they would have a great time if they decided to go. I may to try to talk him into it one last time, but I'm not holding my breath. His wife can't imagine wearing a mask outside in Orlando for 8-10 hours a day, so they have backed off on it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Oh I agree completely. I really think they would have a great time if they decided to go. I may to try to talk him into it one last time, but I'm not holding my breath. His wife can't imagine wearing a mask outside in Orlando for 8-10 hours a day, so they have backed off on it.
Don’t bother. Heaven forbid one of them get sick, you’ll never live it down haha. Myself on the other hand, I’m searching for airfare.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one wants to deal with quarantines. Northern states don’t want to be bothered with having to fill out forms and be made to stay home when they get back up north. I guess it’s a way to keep people in their home state and spend money closer to home. Universal was at its COVID capacity over Labor Day weekend, annual pass holders were locked out when it hit capacity. Also, many southern states schools start in August so it makes sense.
true observation

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also recently visited three beach resorts and they have all been busy. Occupancy probably upward of 80%. So that has me wondering, what is it about Orlando that is unappealing?
I am (was?) a huge theme park fan. But right now I’d much rather vacation at the beach or in the mountains where it is easier to keep distance. The parks are doing a good job of safety from everything I’ve heard, but it still doesn’t strike me as something I want to do.

I bet I’m not the only one.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that people who are not coming to Florida destinations are being prudent. Our COVID numbers in Florida are not great. If I didn't live here I would not be here. We have not gone to a restaurant since March 14,2020. We sometimes bring food in but we don't go. I go to grocery stores, the hair salons that cut and color my hair and the nail salon. All of whom are extremely careful and have plexiglass barriers throughout. My husband is a physician n the frontlines and he is tested weekly.!!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think that people who are not coming to Florida destinations are being prudent. Our COVID numbers in Florida are not great. If I didn't live here I would not be here. We have not gone to a restaurant since March 14,2020. We sometimes bring food in but we don't go. I go to grocery stores, the hair salons that cut and color my hair and the nail salon. All of whom are extremely careful and have plexiglass barriers throughout. My husband is a physician n the frontlines and he is tested weekly.!!
They are still coming to Florida, just not Orlando. All the people at those beach locations are not Florida residents. I saw lots of car license plates from other states as well as talked to others that flew in from out of state.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am (was?) a huge theme park fan. But right now I’d much rather vacation at the beach or in the mountains where it is easier to keep distance. The parks are doing a good job of safety from everything I’ve heard, but it still doesn’t strike me as something I want to do.

Exactly! I cancelled my Disney annual passes when I had the chance and did not renew Universal. We have been doing mountain, beach vacations where social distancing is easy. Although Disney/ Universal is tempting at this time to me it is totally not worth the risk.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

I spent a lot of time in universal in June. I’ve been seeing pictures July/August on the annual passholder Facebook page. The place was/is dead. There were times I saw no one! The best time to enjoy the parks is now.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time in universal in June. I’ve been seeing pictures July/August on the annual passholder Facebook page. The place was/is dead. There were times I saw no one! The best time to enjoy the parks is now.
How are the theme parks able to pay employees and other overhead costs . This is sad story for the United States..

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
How are the theme parks able to pay employees and other overhead costs . This is sad story for the United States..
They started to cut back a bit and laid off workers. The economic fallout will negatively affect more people than the actual virus

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think the experience at Disney World is much-reduced: no shows, no character greetings, and ridiculous waits for fast food because of Covid. People don't want to pay $100 + per day. You can only make reservations for as many days as you have purchased new tickets as well, which means you can book 7 days, if you buy brand new tickets. Annual passholders can only get 3 days and can add an additional day after using the first one. Of course, unless you are staying onsite, and then you can just go as often as you want. If you don't think that is lining the pockets of Disney, you don't see the truth of Disney.

Wearing face masks in this heat is not even an option for many of us who live in the west and are used to hotter temps with no humidity. The thought of breathing with a mask in already humid, hot air, that does not appeal to me or to our kids. And honestly, our granddaughter is on the spectrum of autism, somewhere, and she will not wear a mask, and she is 3.5 years old, so it's required that she wear one. Even our trip in mid-October has our son hyerventillating, just thinking of wearing masks in that heat and trying to keep our granddaughter in a mask, so we don't get kicked out of the parks.

It seems that governors make decisions about policy and then mayors make their own policies that have to be followed. Then the parks do what they do and decide whom to follow, mayor or governor. Universal is a more positive experience and has not limited annual passholders.

I am hoping by January things are back to normal, but if they are not, at least it will be cooler.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We tend to use or own judgement on Covid restrictions. The bars are opening up today but we are not bar people.
I’m going back to my walking club tomorrow, limited capacity, so far 15. This has been hard for elderly to have activities canceled. We had an elderly woman 99 who looked forward to seeing people at the club, but she passed away in June. Her daughter said when they stopped taking her out, she just went downhill fast. The effects of Covid are making people depressed and isolated. Even without the virus the deaths are happening. I will social distance as best I can. But looking forward to seeing some of my friends again.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I am hoping by January things are back to normal, but if they are not, at least it will be cooler.

Yes. This. :cheer:

I will social distance as best I can. But looking forward to seeing some of my friends again.

Indeed! Texting, Zoom, standing around outside at a distance, masked... not the same.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
We tend to use or own judgement on Covid restrictions. The bars are opening up today but we are not bar people.
I’m going back to my walking club tomorrow, limited capacity, so far 15. This has been hard for elderly to have activities canceled. We had an elderly woman 99 who looked forward to seeing people at the club, but she passed away in June. Her daughter said when they stopped taking her out, she just went downhill fast. The effects of Covid are making people depressed and isolated. Even without the virus the deaths are happening. I will social distance as best I can. But looking forward to seeing some of my friends again.
Many elderly people had this virus and beat it.