• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ebike suggestions please

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wow Dave that's just brutal. Really brutal. I'll spare you with my knee issues but they pale in comparison to yours.

:thumbup: Sorry, I wasn't trying to garner sympathy. I offered the information mainly to explain what I deal with. Stuff others take for granted are extra challenges for me. There are a lot of folks who have greater issues than I do. For me, it's a matter of learning my limits, and deciding what works for me, or doesn't. Life is a journey, right? :D

Jeff and I had a discussion about this ebike thing this morning. We're going to give it one final push today to see if I can make it work. If not, the bikes will be returned, and we'll go a different direction. It's all good.

Dave

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
:thumbup: Sorry, I wasn't trying to garner sympathy. I offered the information mainly to explain what I deal with. Stuff others take for granted are extra challenges for me. There are a lot of folks who have greater issues than I do. For me, it's a matter of learning my limits, and deciding what works for me, or doesn't. Life is a journey, right? :D

Jeff and I had a discussion about this ebike thing this morning. We're going to give it one final push today to see if I can make it work. If not, the bikes will be returned, and we'll go a different direction. It's all good.

Dave
AWE - I know you weren't trying to garner sympathy. I just feel sorry for myself with my own knee limitations sometimes and your post put things in a bit of perspective for me.

A few years ago I was competitively running and running is over in my life. My knees cannot stand the pounding. But I'm grateful that biking is still an option for me. I love fitness so I'm always pushing myself & trying new things. In a way, my knee issues have forced me to explore new things that I probably wouldn't have -- such as boxing.

Good luck w/your ride today. Keep us updated.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If they don't work for you, the beauty of Costco is you can take them back. No harm, no foul. There are NO mistakes buying from Costco.

Jim

Thanks for mentioning this. We are going to return my ebike to Costco today. My DH likes his so we will keep his. Now I need to find a new one. The prices on Costco are very reasonable compared to the bike shop. I am seeing prices starting at $2300 up to $6000 at the local bike shops. We only paid $1300 for the Costco bike. The brand is Jetson And his bike is the Adventure. I looked on Jetson’s website and they charge $400 more for the same bike. Costco does have a woman’s bike listed for $999 but I wonder if it is a good bike given its low price. Costco does not have many specs and the woman’s bike Journey is not on Jetson’s website.

Update: I just googled the Jetson Journey and it is selling for $2100 to $2400 by Amazon and Walmart. Costco has an amazing price. I may give it a chance and order it. The worst that could happen is I do not like it and I can return it locally.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the referenced Electric Bike Reviews mentioned upthread. They have a '10 things to know before buying', and you can search and compare by brand, or type. Maybe I liked it because of favorable reviews of Rad Power Bikes which I already bought based on an endorsement by DS #1.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, decision made: The bikes are going back, if the Amazon seller will take them. I've initiated the process, now just waiting to hear their response.

What finally decided it had nothing to do with the bike. The bikes are great. It was all about me and my replacement knees.

We were able to get the seat-to-pedal distance and handlebar height adjusted correctly, and I was able to make the pedal rotation work. (Not great, but acceptable, and better than before.) That actually was the easy part. The issue was the starting and stopping part. My knees are so unstable, the process of stopping and putting a foot down on the ground was treacherous. If my foot didn't land squarely on the ground in the exact place to support my weight, my knee tried to go sideways, forcing me to lose my balance and fall. The weight of the bike made it worse. I realized at the end that despite my best intentions, I had absolutely no confidence in my ability to safely operate the bike. I can't risk falling sideways like that. So it goes. Life lesson.

If the seller won't accept the bikes back, does anybody here want to buy them? I have all the shipping materials, and we can arrange a good deal. Send me a PM if you want to talk about it.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNV That's scary abut the stopping. Smart decision.

Thanks. I'm a bit disappointed, but better safe than sorry. I haven't tried riding a bike since my second knee was replaced last Fall. (The replacements happened a few years apart.) Now I wonder if riding a regular bike would have the same effect. I suspect it would. There are a lot of things I can't do anymore, (bowling, running, climbing stairs two at a time, squatting down to tie my shoe, even kneeling down to retrieve that shoe from under the bed, whatever else), so this is just another thing on the list.

I'm now researching three-wheel electric bikes. There are some very cool designs out there, that seem like they would solve the issue for me. The search continues. :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm a bit disappointed, but better safe than sorry. I haven't tried riding a bike since my second knee was replaced last Fall. (The replacements happened a few years apart.) Now I wonder if riding a regular bike would have the same effect. I suspect it would. There are a lot of things I can't do anymore, (bowling, running, climbing stairs two at a time, squatting down to tie my shoe, even kneeling down to retrieve that shoe from under the bed, whatever else), so this is just another thing on the list.

I'm now researching three-wheel electric bikes. There are some very cool designs out there, that seem like they would solve the issue for me. The search continues. :)

Dave
That is disappointing. I'd hoped you would find it a good way to get out and do some socializing around the new neighborhood. I'm finding similar feelings with my wife. She has some nerve deterioration that leaves her feeling very unsure of her balance and footing. This stopped her from riding her 'regular' bicycle. I'll encourage her to try the new, smaller, 'utility' ebike, but just between us chickens, I don't have much faith.

Isn't this growing older and dealing with our limitations fun?? As I'm constantly reminded, it beats the alternative.

Bear was taking me for a walk this morning on the paved, 'Boise Greenbelt' https://www.yelp.com/biz/boise-river-greenbelt-boise-city and I heard a sound behind me. It was a guy on a motorized wheelchair who had no legs or arms below the elbows. Makes one realize how lucky we are. Be thankful.

JIm

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Isn't this growing older and dealing with our limitations fun?? As I'm constantly reminded, it beats the alternative.

JIm

As I keep reminding myself: "It's not the years. It's the mileage." :D

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I keep reminding myself: "It's not the years. It's the mileage." :D

Dave
Or, "It's the life in the years, not the years in the life that'll get you".
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Or, "It's the life in the years, not the years in the life that'll get you".
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Kind of like what Rodney Dangerfield (I think it was him) said, "We were married till death do us part. I didn't realize it would take this long." ;)

Dave

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought 'em, but haven't really ridden them, or decided if we'll keep them. I have two artificial knees, and the weight of the bike is hard to balance. I didn't expect that. Knee flexion is a problem for me, and so far, this is difficult to ride. Still tweaking the adjustments, to see if I can get a comfortable fit.

I purchased from Sixthreezero for the comfort factor. My husband who has an artificial knee keeps commandeering my bike and won’t ride his own anymore. He even snuck out and ordered a special seat for “my bike” that he keeps switching out with my seat. The riding position is different than a regular bike and puts the knee at a different angle. In the gym he only uses recumbent bikes and says the Sixthreezero is comparable. Being a ladies model with a step through also makes balancing the bike easier. Being a wee Bit older it’s not easy to swing your leg over the middle bar on the men’s bike. It’s not a problem on the step through. It is a bit heavy. I am only 5’ and can still lift and load it onto the special hitch rack I had to buy to transport it.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We did three 20-mile rides this week on a Rails To Trails path, on top of some shorter runs. It's been great fun, but my sit bones were calling out for a little more padding yesterday, so off to the local bike shop for a new seat (Electra Gel Comfort Saddle). Haven't put it on yet, but I'll let you know if it makes a big difference. @easyrider - we're hauling the bikes to the trailheads, so we bought 50 gal tubs to keep the car clean - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-50-Gal-189-L-Tote-Box-Titanium/15940602 They are a bit big, but a smaller tote put too much pressure on the handlebar/computer. They fit fine in the back of the minivan, but take up a lot of space in the Jeep. If you find the perfect size tote, please let me know!

I watched a guy on youtube use a 40 gal tote. I did the same set up. I like the tote setup because it takes up less room, is less likely to fall over and is easy to drag. Here is what mine looks like.

Bill

1598211078450.png

1598211114074.png

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oooh, thanks! That looks great! I found the YouTube videos and see how they did it now. I like how the lid cutout gives the tote a bit more stability. The 40 gal totes we tried weren't very stable in the back of the car. They tipped over every time I drove around a corner. I just need to decide if I want the whole bike to fit inside the tote. The 50 gal is longer and deeper, so the hinge/battery opening rests inside the tote. But two of them in the Jeep would take up way too much cargo space on a long road trip. You don't feel like your setup is top heavy?

BTW, how do you like your new seat? We did 10 miles today on hills, and I must be getting used to the Lectric seat. No pain, but maybe that's because my legs were screaming! I'll admit that I LOVE the power assist. I try to ride without it (I like the exercise), but when I felt like giving up on a hill, it was awesome to hit that little button for a welcome boost!

@DaveNV I'm so sorry your eBike experience didn't work out like you had hoped. But, I look forward to hearing about what OTHER adventures you'll be getting into! You live in a gorgeous area to explore. Come to think of it :ponder:, a hot air balloon hobby wouldn't be too hard on your knees, right?

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The tote with the ebike in it measure out to about 42 inches long, 24 inches wide and 33 inches tall. The weight is about 70 pounds. I have both of the ebikes in the garage on the bottom of a rolling shelf and I roll this out and drag the tote to the back of the Ridgeline. They fit pretty tight in the bed with the tailgate down. I'm going to have to remove the bed cover for a long trip. We haven't had time to play yet. The road we had planned for was closed because of wild fire.

Here are the ebikes stashed away in the garage.

Bill

1598222730801.png

Brett

Reaction score
The tote with the ebike in it measure out to about 42 inches long, 24 inches wide and 33 inches tall. The weight is about 70 pounds. I have both of the ebikes in the garage on the bottom of a rolling shelf and I roll this out and drag the tote to the back of the Ridgeline. They fit pretty tight in the bed with the tailgate down. I'm going to have to remove the bed cover for a long trip. We haven't had time to play yet. The road we had planned for was closed because of wild fire.

Here are the ebikes stashed away in the garage.

Bill

View attachment 25282

looks like that ebike folds up in a nice compact space

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be a small victory (or cost me a bundle). We are at the second home where our regular bikes are stored. Ms Passpartout has been a little, um, aloof about my ebike purchase. Understandable as she is not all that sure on her feet. She walks with a hiking pole (Don't call it a cane), and walks deliberately. She is putting a bunch of unused stuff from the garage on craigslist, so I suggested we unload the bikes and some other camping type stuff. So I got the bikes out and she took pictures to post, and with that was another 'try' to mount and ride hers. Turns out that even being a normal women's bike, it's still too high for her to be on with one of both feet on the ground. So, she sees my, still in transit, ebike, and she's seeing it's much lower and almost non-existent step through, and long seat, and she seems more than willing, even eager to try it. So, we'll see where this leads.

Jim

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope it works out for her, Jim! I don’t look forward to the day when my body won’t be able to do what I want it to do. I’m afraid I won’t be able to handle that gracefully.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I purchased from Sixthreezero for the comfort factor. My husband who has an artificial knee keeps commandeering my bike and won’t ride his own anymore. He even snuck out and ordered a special seat for “my bike” that he keeps switching out with my seat. The riding position is different than a regular bike and puts the knee at a different angle. In the gym he only uses recumbent bikes and says the Sixthreezero is comparable. Being a ladies model with a step through also makes balancing the bike easier. Being a wee Bit older it’s not easy to swing your leg over the middle bar on the men’s bike. It’s not a problem on the step through. It is a bit heavy. I am only 5’ and can still lift and load it onto the special hitch rack I had to buy to transport it.

Those bikes look great! They have a three wheel version that would totally work for me. Thanks!

Dave

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Dave

I hope you find something you like. One trike I like the looks of is the Prowler. It can be used for many things but hunters are one of the demographics targeted. I saw it in the Sportsman Guide when I was looking at the the Jeep ebike. The item is actually an electric UTV.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I hope you find something you like. One trike I like the looks of is the Prowler. It can be used for many things but hunters are one of the demographics targeted. I saw it in the Sportsman Guide when I was looking at the the Jeep ebike. The item is actually an electric UTV.

Bill

That's pretty slick, Bill. Way fancier than anything I'll probably ever want. I notice it doesn't even have pedals. :)

What I have in mind is something a bit more mainstream. One trike I'm seeing I like a lot is this one:

ft-1900Xblack1.jpg

It's selling for about $2K and up, depending on options. I think it'd give me some flexible use choices, both on- and off-road. Still researching this sort of thing. I think one feature that is especially cool is a reverse gear - get yourself into a corner, and it's easy to just back up. :)

If it'll end up as a DIY project, then I'm thinking of starting with something like a Schwinn Meridian, (traditional three wheel adult trike, ~$400), and using an ebike conversion kit like they sell at ebikekit.com ( ~$1000) to make it electric. So that would cost about $1500, more or less. This option would work well if the Amazon Seller refuses to take back these bikes I've already purchased. (Still waiting to hear.) If I can't sell them as-is, for some reason, I could take the e-parts off these frames and put them on my own standard trike, change out the front wheel for a motorized hub version, and I'd be good to go.

There are a number of makers who have already done something like that, and are selling an electric version of a trike in various configurations, with prices starting at about $1300, up to about $2500. I'll need to decide how much I want to invest in the idea.

People in this community drive golf carts around the development, which is another option, but they can't take them into town. I like the ebike idea enough, especially a three-wheeler I'd have trouble falling off of, that I want to follow the decision to its natural conclusion.

I like that I have options, and can still enjoy an ebike hobby. :D

Dave

Brett

Reaction score
That's pretty slick, Bill. Way fancier than anything I'll probably ever want. I notice it doesn't even have pedals. :)

What I have in mind is something a bit more mainstream. One trike I'm seeing I like a lot is this one:

View attachment 25328

It's selling for about $2K and up, depending on options. I think it'd give me some flexible use choices, both on- and off-road. Still researching this sort of thing. I think one feature that is especially cool is a reverse gear - get yourself into a corner, and it's easy to just back up. :)

If it'll end up as a DIY project, then I'm thinking of starting with something like a Schwinn Meridian, (traditional three wheel adult trike, ~$400), and using an ebike conversion kit like they sell at ebikekit.com ( ~$1000) to make it electric. So that would cost about $1500, more or less. This option would work well if the Amazon Seller refuses to take back these bikes I've already purchased. (Still waiting to hear.) If I can't sell them as-is, for some reason, I could take the e-parts off these frames and put them on my own standard trike, change out the front wheel for a motorized hub version, and I'd be good to go.

There are a number of makers who have already done something like that, and are selling an electric version of a trike in various configurations, with prices starting at about $1300, up to about $2500. I'll need to decide how much I want to invest in the idea.

People in this community drive golf carts around the development, which is another option, but they can't take them into town. I like the ebike idea enough, especially a three-wheeler I'd have trouble falling off of, that I want to follow the decision to its natural conclusion.

I like that I have options, and can still enjoy an ebike hobby. :D

Dave

A 'step thru' fat tire trike should work fine for trails and streets :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A 'step thru' fat tire trike should work fine for trails and streets :)

That's what I'm thinking. The image I posted has front and rear baskets, but they're of a bit more rugged design. So carrying cargo shouldn't be a problem. And the fat tire design seems to indicate it'll work well off-road. Choices, for sure. :)

Dave

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Walk, its better for you

This doesn’t work for everyone. And walking isn’t “better for you” than biking.

For me - a have neuromas (Morton’s) on front of my feet due to foot structure and tight Achilles, and perhaps years of backpacking. I can hike, but gets painful after a mile or two. Biking allows me to put pressure on my mid-foot instead of the front of the foot. My eMTB allows me to get out onto trails (and climb steep ones) that I can no longer hike or ride using a analog MTB due to age.

There are many (many) people that have variations of this story that are taking up eBiking. Tons of similar stories if one bothers reading up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk