• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate Myrtle Beach Resale - How to determine if this is a scam?

BostonKingB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NONE! Looking for a good trader to purchase.
Yikes - I just won this auction (Grand Chateau 2BR EOYE usage, 2020 start for $720 - closing costs paid by seller, unclear on whether 2020 MF's have been paid but I'm assuming they aren't and I can use the week) and now I'm hesitant to send them any personal info. They do have 54 positive reviews and no negative reviews including many Marriott properies so I'm hopeful this isn't a scam. I only game onto TUG for advice on what to say for these questions (advantages / disadvantages)

2. Marital Status of all parties on title (WHY DO THEY NEED TO KNOW THIS IF I JUST WANT IT IN MY NAME)
3. Vesting: sole owner, married as sole and separate property, joint tenants with rights of survivorship, tenants in common (WHAT SHOULD I CHOOSE HERE?)
9. If the title is being placed in a company or trust name we will need a copy of the established documents (DOES ANYONE DO THIS FOR PERSONAL USE TIMESHARES?)

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes - I just won this auction (Grand Chateau 2BR EOYE usage, 2020 start for $720 - closing costs paid by seller, unclear on whether 2020 MF's have been paid but I'm assuming they aren't and I can use the week) and now I'm hesitant to send them any personal info. They do have 54 positive reviews and no negative reviews including many Marriott properies so I'm hopeful this isn't a scam. I only game onto TUG for advice on what to say for these questions (advantages / disadvantages)

2. Marital Status of all parties on title (WHY DO THEY NEED TO KNOW THIS IF I JUST WANT IT IN MY NAME)
3. Vesting: sole owner, married as sole and separate property, joint tenants with rights of survivorship, tenants in common (WHAT SHOULD I CHOOSE HERE?)
9. If the title is being placed in a company or trust name we will need a copy of the established documents (DOES ANYONE DO THIS FOR PERSONAL USE TIMESHARES?)

Go back in time and check to see when some of their previous auctions ended, and then how soon was the positive feedback left. I personally would question if an auction ended three days ago and positive feedback posted today (you know for sure that the title has yet to be transferred to the new buyer in just three days). How can positive feedback be left prior to the completion of the transaction?

If the seller insists on payment ONLY by PayPal then be very careful. As I understand it, PayPal won't support your position should you have issues further down the line to get your money back. YOU HAVE NO RECOURSE if the seller plays games with you, and there is NO INCENTIVE for the seller to do anything once paid. The seller has your money and is in the drivers seat.

I'm sure the seller wants that money yesterday, so be sure to get ALL your questions answered, and be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait......

Most sellers submit ROFR electronically, and typically get an answer back within seven days. However if it goes past 30 days then something is rotten in Denmark and things start smelling bad.

I would advise to tread carefully and post any updates here. Best of luck!

BostonKingB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks so much for the advice. I will definitely post updates here. The seller's eBay feedback is a little strange, nobody seems to wait to post their positive reviews AFTER a transaction has completed which is weird. A ton of positive feedback is left before a closing has even happened... a whole lot of quick "A++++" and "so far so good" positive feedbacks so I'm wondering how the seller gets people to do that. The communication with David has seemed legit so far, I usually can sniff out a scam (I've only been scammed once in my life, way back in the late 90's sending a money order before I knew that was a no-no... and I got the money back because I found the guy's parents and got them to shame him into returning the $$$).

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is not a scam. I closed multiple transactions with them very successfully. Sometime they are slow but no major issues at all.

2. Some states where will require your partner to file a quitclaim if you are married and it will be in your name only like WA, CA and others.
3. Most choose sole if it is only in your name or joint tenants with rights of survivorship if not. Your situation may vary.
9. Yes people do for tax and estate reasons.

BostonKingB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is not a scam. I closed multiple transactions with them very successfully. Sometime they are slow but no major issues at all.

2. Some states where will require your partner to file a quitclaim if you are married and it will be in your name only like WA, CA and others.
3. Most choose sole if it is only in your name or joint tenants with rights of survivorship if not. Your situation may vary.
9. Yes people do for tax and estate reasons.

samara64, I know you may have had a positive experience with this seller but they seem like they're trying to scam the hell out of me. I just got this from the seller today (David, via email).

"Once you have confirmed, I will prepare the release form and purchase agreement before sending them to you through DocuSign. We are having some issues with our previous 3rd party payment processor. We are working on setting up a Square account to invoice you now. We will update you on how to pay as quickly as we are able."

Oh really? You're an eBay seller and you're having issues with PAYPAL? Give me a goddamn break. This has scam city written all over it.

He also sent me an Estoppel Request Form not an actual Estoppel, so I'm not sure if that is also problematic.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
samara64, I know you may have had a positive experience with this seller but they seem like they're trying to scam the hell out of me. I just got this from the seller today (David, via email).

"Once you have confirmed, I will prepare the release form and purchase agreement before sending them to you through DocuSign. We are having some issues with our previous 3rd party payment processor. We are working on setting up a Square account to invoice you now. We will update you on how to pay as quickly as we are able."

Oh really? You're an eBay seller and you're having issues with PAYPAL? Give me a goddamn break. This has scam city written all over it.

He also sent me an Estoppel Request Form not an actual Estoppel, so I'm not sure if that is also problematic.

Well, I guess each person has his own risk tolerance. So if you feel it is too much, I would pass which I did with other sellers. All what I am saying is this is not a scam like the seller on eBay from Tennessee that kept on selling stuff they do not have. eBay does not make the real estate auction binding so you can walk away.

I know Paypal does not support real estate transactions which could be the reason. I know of another broker that just changed because of that reason.

I emailed them today and got this auto response from deeding department which I fully understand.

For purchases 03/01/20-05/22/20:

We want to apologize for the delay in transferring the property that you purchased. However, as we know you are aware, the delay caused by the Covid-19 crisis affected not only our business but timeshares in general, not to mention the various federal, state and local agencies that were closed for more than three months. We are now back in business, but the various timeshares and resorts were each affected differently in terms of their backlogs and ability to process these transfers.

We are moving forward now, albeit not at the pace we would like to move, again responding to the various counties that record and transfer deeds differently etc. We would ask your continued patience; we continue to be grateful for your purchase and want to satisfy you as quickly as possible. If you find the delay untenable and wish to cancel your purchase without a refund you may email us to process the cancellation.

For all purchases:

It is now our policy to update buyers every 30 days. You must provide your name, property purchased and eBay ID. If you have bought multiple points/weeks you need to include the resort, points value/week in one email so we can update you on all your purchases. Additionally we now have set statuses we are allowed to give that we have deemed sufficient, and will not go outside those statuses. Please note repeated emails either asking for more information, or requesting updates WILL NOT be answer and the 30 day count will start over. Please allow 48 hours for a response.

Do not use the email with the DocuSign link. The link expires after a certain point. We cannot look anything up that way. You must send us a new email.

We appreciate your cooperation,

Resort Transfer Group

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess each person has his own risk tolerance. So if you feel it is too much, I would pass which I did with other sellers. All what I am saying is this is not a scam like the seller on eBay from Tennessee that kept on selling stuff they do not have. eBay does not make the real estate auction binding so you can walk away.

I know Paypal does not support real estate transactions which could be the reason. I know of another broker that just changed because of that reason.

I emailed them today and got this auto response from deeding department which I fully understand.

We want to apologize for the delay in transferring the property that you purchased. However, as we know you are aware, the delay caused by the Covid-19 crisis affected not only our business but timeshares in general, not to mention the various federal, state and local agencies that were closed for more than three months. We are now back in business, but the various timeshares and resorts were each affected differently in terms of their backlogs and ability to process these transfers.

We are moving forward now, albeit not at the pace we would like to move, again responding to the various counties that record and transfer deeds differently etc. We would ask your continued patience; we continue to be grateful for your purchase and want to satisfy you as quickly as possible. If you find the delay untenable and wish to cancel your purchase without a refund you may email us to process the cancellation.

For all purchases:

It is now our policy to update buyers every 30 days. You must provide your name, property purchased and eBay ID. If you have bought multiple points/weeks you need to include the resort, points value/week in one email so we can update you on all your purchases. Additionally we now have set statuses we are allowed to give that we have deemed sufficient, and will not go outside those statuses. Please note repeated emails either asking for more information, or requesting updates WILL NOT be answer and the 30 day count will start over. Please allow 48 hours for a response.

Do not use the email with the DocuSign link. The link expires after a certain point. We cannot look anything up that way. You must send us a new email.

Resort Transfer Group

This seller sounds like they don't have things under control at all. WHY wasn't this notification get posted on their actual auctions? Why wasn't this information posted in May, June or July instead of the middle of August?

This sentence is very troublesome; "Please note repeated emails asking for more information, or requesting updates WILL NOT be answered and the 30 day count will start over".

Most troublesome? "If you find the delay untenable and wish to cancel your purchase WITHOUT a refund you may email us to process the cancellation". No incentive whatsoever for the seller to hustle the transaction; they sit on it long enough and maybe the buyer will cancel and the seller keeps all the money!

I definitely could be wrong, but this operation sounds like a one person shop who has to do everything and does not have things under control. Additionally, they have very poor customer service skills.

BostonKingB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't end up going through with the purchase after seeing the news articles shared about Missouri timeshare scammers

I believe the company I was dealing with is still trying to operate legitimately (i.e. it wasn't a total scam - just lots of warning signs) but I'm concerned about how the pending legal action might impact their ability to complete my transaction or provide a refund if anything went wrong. I'd be in line with all of these other people who lost more $$$ and have been waiting for longer for a resolution.

So... if anyone has a Marriott Grand Chateau unit they're looking to sell I'm still looking for a good price on a 2BR or 3BR!

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep looking for the Grand Chateau this resort shows up often. Or get it from Interval on getaway that most likely costs less than the maintenance fees on a contract. This would be a 1 or 2 bedroom.
Good Luck

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Planet Hollywood (HGVC Elara) - Westgate Owner
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave
LAST UPDATE PROVIDED 8-15-2020

Hello,

For all purchases:

Resort Transfer Group

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
LAST UPDATE PROVIDED 8-15-2020

Hello,

For all purchases:

Resort Transfer Group

So any updates must be initiated by your request but if you do it too often they send you to the back of the line. Nice.

Their email was two months ago. What is your current status?

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave
FINAL UPDATE:

Not able to move forward with this purchase. I'm not interested in a substitute property.

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort TUG # 229897 - 4 Bedroom, Float Weeks 1-52, Float Unit, Biennial Odd Usage for $1

Hello K,

We apologize, but Westgate will not allow us to transfer the property you purchased. The reason for this; our client was named in a lawsuit against Westgate. So they are refusing to transfer this ownership. We sincerely apologize and are willing to offer a different property as a substitution.
Hide original message
On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 7:24 AM K <> wrote:
Please provide a status update.

TUG # 229897 - 4 Bedroom, Float Weeks 1-52, Float Unit, Biennial Odd Usage
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

--
Title Transfer Department

Resort Transfer Group, LLC
8600 Daniel Dunklin Commercial Blvd., Pevely, Mo. 63070

Hello K,

I was just informed by my supervisor that the transfer was unable to go through on this property due to pending litigation.

I wanted to offer you a future property free of charge. We do not see as many Westgate properties, but are there other properties that would be of interest to you?

Some common properties we come across:

Massanutten
Bluegreen
Marriott
Sheraton
Vacation Village at Parkway
Grandview at Las Vegas
Coral Reef Resort
Coral Sands Resort
Ocean Landings Resort and Racquet Club

Let me know if you are interested in any of these and we will be sure to work to make this up to you.

Thank you,

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Resort Transfer Group is also handling a couple of my TS purchases....I must have gotten a different rep responding to me as I dared to actually ask for an update outside of their policy and that did not go well for me ha!
Will never ever use them for any other TS business.
Awful experience.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
FINAL UPDATE:

Not able to move forward with this purchase. I'm not interested in a substitute property.

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort TUG # 229897 - 4 Bedroom, Float Weeks 1-52, Float Unit, Biennial Odd Usage for $1

Hello K,

We apologize, but Westgate will not allow us to transfer the property you purchased. The reason for this; our client was named in a lawsuit against Westgate. So they are refusing to transfer this ownership. We sincerely apologize and are willing to offer a different property as a substitution.
Hide original message

--

Hello K,

I was just informed by my supervisor that the transfer was unable to go through on this property due to pending litigation.

I wanted to offer you a future property free of charge. We do not see as many Westgate properties, but are there other properties that would be of interest to you?

Massanutten
Bluegreen
Marriott
Sheraton
Grandview at Las Vegas
Coral Reef Resort
Coral Sands Resort

Let me know if you are interested in any of these and we will be sure to work to make this up to you.

Thank you,

You may not agree but I think you dodged a bullet.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
FINAL UPDATE:

Hello K,

Hide original message

--

Hello K,

Massanutten
Bluegreen
Marriott
Sheraton
Grandview at Las Vegas
Coral Reef Resort
Coral Sands Resort

Thank you,

You didn't want it. Go buy a lottery ticket with the ebay listing number.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
Has anyone used David Thomas to purchase a timeshare?

I'm not sure if this is a legitimate seller. I made the mistake of sending them my info too soon, but I have not entered into any contracts. Here is some of the communications. How can I verify if the estoppel is true and accurate? I would love to own this timeshare, but maybe it's a deal too good to be true.

Timeshare Ad contact David Thomas davidatrsg@gmail.com

Inline image

https://tug2.com/timeshare-resort/r...tgate+Myrtle+Beach+Oceanfront+Resort&ID=14703

David,

What are the next steps n the process? How can I verify the details for this property? I've tried in the past to purchase from Westgate and they evoked the ROFR. Are you a real estate agent or working with an agent?

Kind regards,

Karnice

Good morning Karnice,

The next step is you sending me the following information:

TITLE INFORMATION REQUEST FOR BUYERS (INFO WE MUST HAVE)
1. Name (as you wish it to appear on ownership documents)
2. Marital Status of all parties on title
3. Vesting: sole owner, married as sole and separate property, joint tenants with rights of survivorship, tenants in common
4. Phone Number
5. Address (buyer must be able to receive mail at this address)
6. Separate email for each individual listed on the ownership
7. Are you a current owner at this resort? If so, please provide current account/contract number
8. Legible copies of a government-issued ID for each party to be listed on the title
9. Any recent Bankruptcy/Foreclosures?
10. If the title is being placed in a company or trust name we will need a copy of the established documents

The estoppel that I sent you in the previous email is the best way I have to verify the information. We get that directly through the resort. I work for a company that helps clients get out of their ownership. One of the ways we do this is by finding other people who would be interested in owning their property. As for ROFR, that is always a possibility. It is solely at the resort's discretion whether or not the exercise it and take the property back.

Also, with the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, we want to be sure you understand the current transfer process may take longer than usual. Unfortunately, we can not say exactly how long the process will take as it will depend on the resorts and counties. Things do appear to be getting back to normal though so hoping the resorts and counties are not busy playing catch-up for long.

Please confirm you understand this information as well as the information on the estoppel and wish to move forward. Once you have confirmed and sent the above infomation, I will prepare the release form and purchase agreement before sending them to you through DocuSign. As well as sending you the invoice through PayPal.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Thank you,

David

David,

A few more questions..

Is the only option to pay is PayPal?
Will title transfer be managed via an escrow company?
Who will prepare and file the title transfer documents?
How can I be sure that the seller is providing a clear title?

Kind regards,
Karnice
Hello Karnice,

Yes, PayPal is the only option to pay. Will that work for you? Assuming it will, which email address would you like me to use on PayPal for the invoice? I will be sending the release and purchase agreement to both you and your husband's email addresses that you provided.

We have an in-house Title and Deeding department that will handle the transfer, preparation of the deeding, and send off the transfer documents.

As for your last question, Westgate would not allow us to transfer any properties with a mortgage.

Please confirm you would like to move forward.

Thank you,

David

David,

I noticed that the 2BR is deeded for a different week and unit. Will this impede making a reservation for 4BR contiguous units on the same floor for the same week ? What is the best time to call you?

2000 /155A/B week 31 Odd
2000 /125C week 33 Odd

Kind regards,
Karnice
Hello Karnice,

This is a float week and float unit. They are "All Season" which means weeks 1-52. I do not believe this would impede you from getting 4BR contiguous units on the same floor for the same week. Though that may be based on availability as well. However, I do not work for the resort and the estoppel is the best information I have. You are welcome to contact Westgate for further clarification on this issue before moving forward. My supervisor prefers I keep all communication through email so it is all in writing.

Thank you,

David

David,

Is it possible to know the account details for contracting Westgate?

Kind regards,
Karnice
Karnice,

Unfortunately, we are unable to give out our client's name and account number. Everything you currently have on the estoppel is the best I have to offer. Please let me know if you have any other questions and if you would like to move forward.

Thank you,

David

Did you end up getting the timeshare?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Monkeyboy See post #37. the sale did not go through.
@KDaley The concern people had was Westgate restricts the rights of resale owners. You would only be able to make a reservation a short time (60? 90? 120? days) in advance. Summer weeks at the beach are usually reserved 12 months in advance (as early as the Westgate system allows.) There won't be any summer units left for you by the time you are allowed to reserve. That's why Sheraton Broadway Plantation was suggested as an alternative.

KDaley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Enclave
@Monkeyboy See post #37. the sale did not go through.
@KDaley The concern people had was Westgate restricts the rights of resale owners. You would only be able to make a reservation a short time (60? 90? 120? days) in advance. Summer weeks at the beach are usually reserved 12 months in advance (as early as the Westgate system allows.) There won't be any summer units left for you by the time you are allowed to reserve. That's why Sheraton Broadway Plantation was suggested as an alternative.

@HudsHut I haven't had any trouble requesting my dates for the resorts I have booked. As long as the dates for the resort were available, I just paid the $159 reservation fee. But, I'll make an inquiry specifically to clarify if there are any strict reservation windows.