• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Deleted, not worth it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Some of our school districts are saying "online until Oct", or "online until X". I don't believe those promises.
You don't believe the promise that online will be only until October or X? At least our governor is stating that even if a date is given, they will re-evaluate. There is no promise given for ANY firm date.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't believe the promise that online will be only until October or X? At least our governor is stating that even if a date is given, they will re-evaluate. There is no promise given for ANY firm date.
I don't believe any of the dates that are being tossed around about when schools will reopen. For instance, if we are told "School closed until Oct 15 and then we will re-evaluate", I feel confident that no "re-evaluation" is going to result in an OPENING of schools.

One of the teachers unions here is making the case that no school should be open if it's in a county that has had a positive C19 case in the past 14 days. That is an impossible metric that can never be achieved. And our gov't is such that they take their leads from the unions .

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read an article yesterday that said the unions do not want teachers to work their regular full day with online teaching. I am so sick of these unions. Teachers should be grateful to have a job during Covid. Now they are saying they do not want to teach a full day online. This is ridiculous. I do not see why teachers are so special compared to other essential workers.
Local unions here have gotten an elementary district to agree that teachers can not be instructing online for more than 2.5 hours per day.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I read an article yesterday that said the unions do not want teachers to work their regular full day with online teaching. I am so sick of these unions. Teachers should be grateful to have a job during Covid. Now they are saying they do not want to teach a full day online. This is ridiculous. I do not see why teachers are so special compared to other essential workers.
This may really upset you then.

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/n...cle_c3c0b826-d2ba-11ea-af65-07a38ed25f78.html

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

geekette

Reaction score
Some of our school districts are saying "online until Oct", or "online until X". I don't believe those promises.
I would try to look at it as goal vs promise. I don't think anyone can promise anything right now. But, I take your point. Relying on the inevitably unreliable is recipe for madness.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Well, now. Maybe the 2nd act is about to begin....

geekette

Reaction score
Grateful? I sure wouldn't be grateful to be in this unwinnable situation.

Most other essential workers do not spend all day every day inside a room with children. Nor are most other occupations being fought about like this one. It's not about 'so special', it's about a situation with nuances that must be considered.

The shortened work day ... I don't get that, would want to see what they are saying as justification. I could understand if someone wasn't a computer person and now stuck on a computer, but aren't we really talking about being in front of a camera?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I would try to look at it as goal vs promise. I don't think anyone can promise anything right now. But, I take your point. Relying on the inevitably unreliable is recipe for madness.

Isn’t it rude of Covid19 not to tell us when it’s going away so we can plan better? The very nerve!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn’t it rude of Covid19 not to tell us when it’s going away so we can plan better? The very nerve!
I get the sentiment of what you are both saying. But what I see at a local level is that the decisions that are being made about schools aren't based on any "metrics" -- it is the unions flexing their muscles to get their demands met. So these "delay school opening until X condition is met" is just a feel good statement to the parents. Perhaps it's not that way where you live, but it sure is here.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see giving an exemption to those over 65 since they paid their dues by working this many years. But it is unfair to exempt unhealthy people. It is not fair to exempt people based on health conditions. It is penalizing healthy people. Very unfair to healthy people who take care of themselves.
Did you see there is an exemption for obesity !

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
BTW, a lot of parents are upset by the unions and the teachers who are refusing to even work a full day by video. I am not a parent but we are paying a ton in property taxes to educate kids who are not getting any education right now. I feel like our taxes are being wasted.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also , our governor is sending all kinds of signals that he will force all schools to be online vs. leaving it up to the local school districts.

Texas Attorney General ruled State Department of Health cannot make the decision and that it is up to local School Districts. In addition Governor ruled that Private Schools with religious affiliation can decide what to do on their own...

George

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grateful? I sure wouldn't be grateful to be in this unwinnable situation.

Most other essential workers do not spend all day every day inside a room with children. Nor are most other occupations being fought about like this one. It's not about 'so special', it's about a situation with nuances that must be considered.

The shortened work day ... I don't get that, would want to see what they are saying as justification. I could understand if someone wasn't a computer person and now stuck on a computer, but aren't we really talking about being in front of a camera?

Most people who are lucky enough to have a job are grateful for it. I know me and my DH are grateful to have jobs. I think teachers should work and be grateful for it. My DH and I are working 8+ hours a day by video. Can’t teachers at least do a 5 or 6 hour day? Is that too much to ask? Once you get used to 8 hours of Zoom meetings, it is the same as in person. People who are claiming it is too hard are just plain lazy IMO.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most people who are lucky enough to have a job are grateful for it. I know me and my DH are grateful to have jobs. I think teachers should work and be grateful for it. My DH and I are working 8+ hours a day by video. Can’t teachers at least do a 5 or 6 hour day? Is that too much to ask? Once you get used to 8 hours of Zoom meetings, it is the same as in person. People who are claiming it is too hard are just plain lazy IMO.
Doubling down?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, a lot of parents are upset by the unions and the teachers who are refusing to even work a full day by video. I am not a parent but we are paying a ton in property taxes to educate kids who are not getting any education right now. I feel like our taxes are being wasted.
California is very much in the same boat as IL right now with the schools and teachers unions. They (unions) are using this health crisis to get all kinds of non-pandemic demands met. It's similar to adding "pork" to a legislative bill. There is discussion now that there will be a teachers strike if the schools are open at all. Trust me, I'm livid that I am having to pay out of pocket to get my kid the education I think she deserves b/c our public schools can't seem to get their act together.

I felt horrible for the class of '20 due to the fact that they did not have all of the traditions and accolades that they deserve, but at least they got their education completed, for the most part.

The current juniors and seniors are facing a situation where there is absolutely going to be an education deficit for these kids. At a critical time when they need to be getting ready for college.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Nearly three quarters found that the school closures and subsequent switch to distance learning have actually resulted in a reduction of their working hours.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter is now enrolled in a private, online HS (Indiana University HS for those interested) . They have been teaching in the online space for years and I feel much more comfortable that they know how to execute this vs. our local HS. I'm honestly mad that I am paying for "private" schooling b/c our local schools are failing (at least failing my standards).

I applaud you for doing this. It makes eminent sense to me. Yes, there is a cost but it is not nearly as much as it costs my Daughter and her Husband to send their 3 kids to a small Christian School.

George

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
California is very much in the same boat as IL right now with the schools and teachers unions. They (unions) are using this health crisis to get all kinds of non-pandemic demands met. It's similar to adding "pork" to a legislative bill. There is discussion now that there will be a teachers strike if the schools are open at all. Trust me, I'm livid that I am having to pay out of pocket to get my kid the education I think she deserves b/c our public schools can't seem to get their act together.

I felt horrible for the class of '20 due to the fact that they did not have all of the traditions and accolades that they deserve, but at least they got their education completed, for the most part.

The current juniors and seniors are facing a situation where there is absolutely going to be an education deficit for these kids. At a critical time when they need to be getting ready for college.

Students in school now and graduating in the next few years will be at an educational disadvantage because they are not learning. The smart ones with well off parents will be fine but the vast majority of these kids will not be prepared for the real world in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.