• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II Exchange for Ko Olina Reservation

darly2004

Reaction score
So, we are coming up on 60 days from our 2nd reservation at Ko Olina for this year. Unfortunately, we will be canceling since the current situation will likely not change in the next couple months. I just want to make sure I am prepared when I cancel my reservation to trade into II. We are not enrolled in II yet. Should I set it up now or does Marriott set it up/deposit for me? Are there certain fees I don't pay as a Marriott weeks owner? As of right now, our reservation does not have a lockoff, can Marriott change that when I cancel so that I can separate the lockoff for trade? Sorry, this is actually our first time trying to deposit into II. We bought into Ko Olina thinking we would be going there all the time. Thank you so much.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Is your week enrolled in the Destinations Club or did you buy a week resale after June 2010?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You are not canceling if you are depositing to II. You would just deposit your reserved week. I assume your week is not enrolled in the Destinations Points program, then you need to set up an account with II. (I doubt they will lock off this late.)

May not be availability, but you could call MVC and see if you can MOVE your reservation to a week later in the year (including locking off). If so, this gives you more breathing room to both occupy and/or deposit.

darly2004

Reaction score
You are not canceling if you are depositing to II. You would just deposit your reserved week. I assume your week is not enrolled in the Destinations Points program, then you need to set up an account with II. (I doubt they will lock off this late.)

May not be availability, but you could call MVC and see if you can MOVE your reservation to a week later in the year (including locking off). If so, this gives you more breathing room to both occupy and/or deposit.

So I would just set up an account in II myself and deposit it myself then. I don't have to contact Marriott for it? I will try to see if I can lock-off room. I should have done it the last time, but was hopeful that we can go.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
So I would just set up an account in II myself and deposit it myself then. I don't have to contact Marriott for it? I will try to see if I can lock-off room. I should have done it the last time, but was hopeful that we can go.

Yes, set up your account with Interval International. They usually charge less per year if you get multiple years. Interval can assist with this if you have any difficulty.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Your best bet right now is to call Marriott and see if you can change your reservation date to something much further out in 2020. Anything to get you further out than the near 60 days you are at now. Setting up an II account isn't an instantaneous process and it could take a couple weeks for II to verify your ownership with Marriott. That would then put you inside 60 days when you try to deposit, and you are stuck with restrictions. Get a new reservation further out NOW, then work on the II account. You may even be able to lock off now on that new reservation if that is what you want to do.

darly2004

Reaction score
Your best bet right now is to call Marriott and see if you can change your reservation date to something much further out in 2020. Anything to get you further out than the near 60 days you are at now. Setting up an II account isn't an instantaneous process and it could take a couple weeks for II to verify your ownership with Marriott. That would then put you inside 60 days when you try to deposit, and you are stuck with restrictions. Get a new reservation further out NOW, then work on the II account. You may even be able to lock off now on that new reservation if that is what you want to do.

Ok, thank you. That is good to know.

nycjimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Manor Club Sequel, Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott might take your week as rental. I rent my August week at Ko Olina to Marriott for a reasonable amount. It was less than maintenance, but I had too many banked weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, I'd try to change it to later AND lock it off. There will be a change fee and a lockoff fee. I'd also set up the II account now and register any ownerships at the same time you set up the account.

darly2004

Reaction score
I agree, I'd try to change it to later AND lock it off. There will be a change fee and a lockoff fee. I'd also set up the II account now and register any ownerships at the same time you set up the account.

I don't think they charged a change fee last time, but maybe they are starting to again. Thanks so much.

darly2004

Reaction score
Marriott might take your week as rental. I rent my August week at Ko Olina to Marriott for a reasonable amount. It was less than maintenance, but I had too many banked weeks.

I didn't realize they will take it as a rental. I think I may try my hands at II this time. Hopefully, we can get 1-2 good vacations out of it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think they charged a change fee last time, but maybe they are starting to again. Thanks so much.
Any time there is a change or cancelation they should charge a fee. Now with Covid they might not and if one has a lockoff reserved and you just lock it off (but not change the dates) they usually won't IIRC.

darly2004

Reaction score
I am trying to set up II account and it is asking for MKO vs MK1 for Ko Olina. I am assuming it's MKO? Is resort owner # same as deed ID? Thank you.

Wei339

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko olina
How did you contact to initiate the Marriott rental?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wouldn't expect to get much renting through Marriott. Travel is down, rooms are sitting empty and with current Hawaii restrictions, how many people are planning to go there. Even the OP is not. I would be surprised if Marriott offered anything for a 2020 week through their rental program.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Thanks for saying it better than I could. ANd to reiterate to OP, try this ASAP. The further out in 2020, the better for you, both in depositing and chance of locking off.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
I am trying to set up II account and it is asking for MKO vs MK1 for Ko Olina. I am assuming it's MKO? Is resort owner # same as deed ID? Thank you.
MKO & MK1 are both for Ko'Olina possibly used to refer to different phases. Use MKO.
Contract-# is different from Owner-# which you should find from Marriott under your profile.

We own at Ko'Olina [resale that was enrolled] and Lock-Off and deposit with II every year.
We do this without having to call Marriott or II.
The process is pretty simple and since we are enrolled [we pay Marriott Club-Dues] we don't have to pay II for any of the following:
  • Lock-Off Fee: $0
  • II-Membership Fee: $0
  • Exchange-Fee: $0
  • E-Plus/Re-Trade-Fee [M-M]: $0
The only fee for enrolled owners is Platinum-Membership upgrade and Size-Upgrade fees.

darly2004

Reaction score
MKO & MK1 are both for Ko'Olina possibly used to refer to different phases. Use MKO.
Contract-# is different from Owner-# which you should find from Marriott under your profile.

We own at Ko'Olina [resale that was enrolled] and Lock-Off and deposit with II every year.
We do this without having to call Marriott or II.
The process is pretty simple and since we are enrolled [we pay Marriott Club-Dues] we don't have to pay II for any of the following:
  • Lock-Off Fee: $0
  • II-Membership Fee: $0
  • Exchange-Fee: $0
  • E-Plus/Re-Trade-Fee [M-M]: $0
The only fee for enrolled owners is Platinum-Membership upgrade and Size-Upgrade fees.

Thank you for the info. When you say enrolled meaning into Destinations Club, correct? I did end up joining II, but paid for basic membership x 3 years. I am not enrolled in DC, so assuming I don't qualify for free II membership. Is the platinum worth upgrading to? The only upside I see is if we want to go for a weekend trip instead of week-long trip. Marriott does not have any reservations available after my current date in October, so crossing my fingers that it will be approved before 60 days. I will try calling again in a couple days to see if there is any update.

darly2004

Reaction score
Thanks for saying it better than I could. ANd to reiterate to OP, try this ASAP. The further out in 2020, the better for you, both in depositing and chance of locking off.

Yes, set up II today and called Marriott. Unfortunately, no other available dates, but will try again in a couple days.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Thank you for the info. When you say enrolled meaning into Destinations Club, correct? I did end up joining II, but paid for basic membership x 3 years. I am not enrolled in DC, so assuming I don't qualify for free II membership. Is the platinum worth upgrading to? The only upside I see is if we want to go for a weekend trip instead of week-long trip. Marriott does not have any reservations available after my current date in October, so crossing my fingers that it will be approved before 60 days. I will try calling again in a couple days to see if there is any update.
Yes by "Enrolled" I meant Destination-Club.

Agree that II-Platinum may not always work.
If you use Getaways and Guest-Certificates then it may be worth it

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Yes, set up II today and called Marriott. Unfortunately, no other available dates, but will try again in a couple days.
Bummer. Sounds like you're doing the best you can under the circumstances.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, keep trying. IF what you have reserved already is a lockoff, you still may be able to get 2 deposits out of it.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
I make great use of platinum membership, if you will book 2 getways or more then you break even as you save 60€ per booking over the basic membership plus you can do a free guest certificate for friends and family normally 59€. We have 2 different friends whom travel with us a lot so I book about 6-8 getaways min a year. Also on your first year you get an extra 30€ off too. I set up my II and got my week deposited just on the deadline day! Took 2 days to get the week deposited after account set up but maybe it was quick for me as I have a corporate account too (destination points)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darly2004

Reaction score
I called Marriott again today. No other later reservations available. Marriott was able to deposit the reservation I had today, so we are before the 60 days deadline! Thanks so much everyone. So now, my question is what do I do? I see the week under My Unit tab. Do I have to select Vacation Exchange or Place Request now? Do I need to do anything else with the unit or is it in the system to be exchanged now? I don't want to miss something. My 60 days out is on Tuesday.