• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many of you are now online/go pick up addicts?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I used to love to shop, especially for groceries.

Now, with it being a mask up, glove up, head gear, move along and follow one way aisles, I almost exclusively use online ordering and go pick up at the pick up zone.

Yup, Walmart Grocery ordering
Car parts, hardware at Canadian tire
Lumber/paint at Lowe’s
And of course Amazon.

No gloves, masks needed.

Now, I am ACTUALLY enjoying it!

How about you? Are you moving more and more to order online/pick up services?

Never thought that would ever happen to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Not us, We still go grocery shopping once a week. Masks are mandatory but we don’t use gloves or anything else.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dh still goes to the grocery store, but every two weeks instead of weekly. We order a lot of non food items online now and do take out from restaurants a couple of times a week.

geekette

Reaction score
Nope. I take the trip myself. Many others have risks that I don't, so it made sense for me to leave those conveniences for those that really need them. Plus, I really don't want anyone else doing my shopping. It's not about their touching stuff, it's about my desire to find the deals even if it's not quite what I thought I was going to buy.

Not into paying for delivery (HD order shipped to store and I went to fetch it), do not have my meds delivered, have not cruised for restaurant take out. I'm minding my pennies as much as my health. I don't do the gloves and goggles, have never quarantined or wiped down my groceries. I won't stay in any store for more than 30 minutes, have perfected the one month stock up at Kroger. (( *** did my grocery trip tonight - supply and prices are changing again! ))

Nobody here but me all this time, so I never had to get more wipes, escaped that hunt completely. I wash this place like I always did.

Have never/will never be Amazon customer. I'm honestly not much of a spender, so the idea that I can get *anything* from them doesn't sway me in the least. I'd rather buy directly from whoever made the product. Extra bonus to not have cardboard boxes out the ying yang. not a place you want paper cuts ...

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I haven't yet tried a curb-side pickup.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We did a delivery order once. it was expensive, but it was nice to have everything dropped off at the front door. I was a little upset with the number of things they had to substitute, and they texted us with every one. It was annoying, but after the fact we agreed we would have made the same changes in the store. But we never did it again.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
At the beginnings of the covid crisis we had groceries delivered twice. While I am invited to go grocery shop I usually don't. I do go to Lowes, Home Depot and Coastal Farm and Ranch where I mask up and try to keep some distance from others.

Lots of online items lately. No pick up service yet. Not even a drive through food service.

Bill

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The only grocery I went into since March was Trader Joe the other day, otherwise I mostly use instacart, curbside pickup and local organic farm delivery, occasionally mail Order from butcherbox and seafood from key west. I never enjoyed grocery shopping before but believe I might after this pandemic is over.

Also have gone a few times to home depot, Lowes and a car dealership to have my car serviced.

Let me not forget doctor visits that cannot be done virtually, have one today.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've now tried a bunch of different delivery and pickup options. I'm always assessing the money-to-food ratio. Instacart is the worst. There's probably a 30 percent markup on what you get, after all the fees and nothing at sale prices and the extra costs for the shopper buying the most expensive version of many items. (Some shoppers were good, others did a terrible job.) (BTW, they all got big tips, bc they were on the front lines when things were really bad here, so thank you again, Instacart shoppers.)

We were happiest with our local small grocery store, which will pick and deliver your order for a $15 fee. But they still didn't honor their own sale prices, which is annoying when you're spending $200-plus on groceries.

We've started shopping ourselves at a big grocery store that we like, about 20 minutes away--Stew Leonard's, if anyone is in our area. Not crowded, lots of room, produce, meat, fish, and dairy all in good shape.

Now that things have settled down, the deliveries I might continue with are:
Mercato, which works with a big bodega near us. I wouldn't get meat or produce there, but they were great for milk, rice, beans, pasta, canned goods, flour, and so on.
Whole Foods, the trick is to order at night for delivery in the morning.
Amazon Fresh, same trick as Whole Foods. Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods have some good sales and the delivery is mostly straightforward. If there's a problem, they take care of it.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
My first time using online grocery shopping was for Walmart when we went on vacation to Orlando in 2018. I placed my order about two weeks or so in advance at our favorite Walmart on Old Lake Wilson Rd. We scheduled our pickup time to be 3 hours after scheduled landing in Orlando. We were staying at Orange Lake Resort. We checked in but our room wasn't ready. We only had a little over an hour to spare before our Walmart scheduled pickup time. We went and picked up, hoping our room would be ready so our cold/frozen foods wouldn't melt. To our surprise, Orange Lake has "Cold Storage". They placed it in cold storage and we went swimming. Our room was ready before noon. To our surprise they bought it up to our room. My hubby loved the Walmart online shopping/pickup. He said it costs a lot less. I said, "the prices are the same". His response was, "you didn't go into the store, so you didn't pick up extra stuff. So that saved money!!" I hated to admit it, but he was ABSOLUTELY right!!!!! :LOL:

Country Roads

Reaction score
Walmart Grocery ordering and pick up is quite convenient, but it does have one area that needs to be worked on.

When you place your order on-line to be picked up the following day, you may find an item or two is suddenly not in stock. It was in stock when you placed the order though and in your cart. You won't know this until you arrive home as they do place the order in your car for you when picking it up. Know this because, your total charge will be different from when placing the order. The true and actual debit or charge will not show for a few days after you pick up the order.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I used to love to shop, especially for groceries.

Now, with it being a mask up, glove up, head gear, move along and follow one way aisles, I almost exclusively use online ordering and go pick up at the pick up zone.

Yup, Walmart Grocery ordering
Car parts, hardware at Canadian tire
Lumber/paint at Lowe’s
And of course Amazon.

No gloves, masks needed.

Now, I am ACTUALLY enjoying it!

How about you? Are you moving more and more to order online/pick up services?

Never thought that would ever happen to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We’ve used Amazon for years so not much change there. We did order grocery delivery for a couple of months. I would probably still be using it but my wife loves going to the grocery store and shopping and she felt the delivery fees were too high. I’m not a shopper so anything that makes it easier is fine by me. We do restaurant pickup at least a couple times a week.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I still like going to grocery store and picking up sale items, I use the Vons app. I tried Costco delivery but everything was out of stock and the prices are higher, I go in person once a month, usually when I need to gas up the car.

We like curbside food pickup, sometimes just dont want to cook. I have all the apps on my phone, very convenient to order and pick up. Subway if we are just going for an “outing” to get out of the house and eat lunch at the beach. Robecks for a smoothie, Sonic for a Cherry Limeade, always 1/2 price on the app, just pull into a stall and enter the stall number in the app.

We just got a new restaurant opened, Kabob Shop, we like mediterranean diet food, just meat / salad with the yogurt cucumber dressing. They take online orders with Square. Rubios has an app, we like fish taco Fridays.

I wont go back to standing in line to order and wait for pickup. Haven’t tried outside dining yet, a lot of places reopened like that but sitting next to a parking lot is not very appealing, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Walmart Grocery ordering and pick up is quite convenient, but it does have one area that needs to be worked on.

When you place your order on-line to be picked up the following day, you may find an item or two is suddenly not in stock. It was in stock when you placed the order though and in your cart. You won't know this until you arrive home as they do place the order in your car for you when picking it up. Know this because, your total charge will be different from when placing the order. The true and actual debit or charge will not show for a few days after you pick up the order.
That is a shame because when I used it I received all of my items. BUT, make sure you check the box to allow "substitutions". If you "allow" substitutions, they generally substitute with a "better quality" or "a larger quantity". Sometimes both larger quantity and a better quality brand name. For example, I got all of my items in my Florida order. And I did allow "substitutions". When they filled my order they were out of the Great Value brand 50 ct plastic cups. They substituted it with the Hefty brand name. They were out of the Xtra brand laundry detergent. I ordered the 50oz and they substituted it with the 96oz size. When they substitute, they give you the item for the same price no matter the cost. When I picked up the order, they showed me the items they were out of and showed me what they substituted for it. It was always either a larger quantity or better brand name. Oh, salt and pepper set. I ordered the Great Value set. They were out of it and gave me a Morton or McCormick set or something. The Walmart brand was about a $1. I am sure the Morton or McCormick was more than that. So check your settings for checkout and make sure you are allowing substitutions if you would be ok with them.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really liking doing more online shopping.

Early on I developed a great dislike for ordering from grocery and picking up. Too long of a wait and too many missing items.

Shipt also was a challenge with all the missing items. Now it's easy peasy. I already had a membership before SIP. The shoppers I've had have been very good. Always texting when they start the shop and quick to find a replacement item. They just bring the groceries up and put them on the front porch. I dabbled in being a Shipt Shopper for a few months in 2018. I know what it's like to be on that side of the transaction.

I've gotten orders through Thrive Market, Julian Bakery and Butcher Box. Got notice today that my monthly Butcher Box is on it's way. Those don't replace the grocery store, it's a combination of shopping.

Like the other day. . .I wanted another cutting board. I've become such a gourmet chef that my non-tv show kitchen needed better props. Popped out to the front porch, showed current one to hubby (he was at the table with his computer) gave him the brand name and said get me a couple more of these. Within minutes he had a pair pulled up online, click and it will be here soon. Yay! So easy.

Our local organic farm makes shopping easy with a reminder email of what's offered for the week. This is a new feature they came up with this year. Click today, pick up in two. 2.7 miles from house. It's a converted golf driving range. You pull your car up to the little shop where you paid and picked up the baskets of golf balls. They ask your name and put the veggies in the back of your car. Woo hoo!

We have a small organic grocery store. Last night I realized at 6 we hadn't thawed any meat for dinner. Since we already had two recent bean/rice type meals I didn't want another. Hubby said he'd run (it's about 4-5 miles from house) to the store. It closes at 7. Time was 6:45. I called Gary (the owner) said hubby was on way. He said he'd pick me out a couple steaks and have them ready. Parking lot is literally just steps from the door. Hubby pops in, pays and is out in a flash. By the time he's home I have veggies prepped.

We have another chain health food store that is small with parking by the door. In/out in a flash. It's .4 mile from the privately owned store above. Kroger/Kroger gas and it's giant parking lot shares the same corner. Ugh on Kroger. It's great that it's so convenient but I dread the parking and size of store.

I've been to Chico's at the mall once for new jeans. Have lost weight and wanted some that fit. Mall was fairly empty and store had <3 people. Next shop was online but I have to return one pair.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Nope not us. We have not ordered a single food item online for curbside pickup or delivery. Because Felix had foot surgery several weeks ago one of us has to stay with him. So we take turns getting out of the house and go grocery shopping for fresh fruits and vegetables.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We get an amazing CSA box weekly and supplement with Imperfect Foods (which has meat/eggs/staples in addition to produce) and Instantcart when needed - about once a month. It has somewhat changed the way that we eat. We never ate much pre-packaged or pre-processed food but now it pretty much never. Everything is made from scratch with our fresh ingredients. I am shocked at the difference in the quality of the produce from the CSA box vs the grocery store. It's been an eye opener for sure. We will pop into the store for a thing or two but it doesn't happen often.

We have been online shoppers for quite awhile. I hate shopping and the pandemic hasn't changed anything except to make me even more loathe to go out. My daughter tells me that she loves the curbside pickup from Target so if there comes a day when I need something that can't wait for 24 hours, I will try that. We are actually shopping even less than before the pandemic. Every budget category has gone down - food, gas, clothing etc which is a good thing because the non-budgeted items have rolled in, one after the other. Easy come, easy go. We are really helping support our local economy!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Now that Federal unemployment subsidies are ending and so are the moratorium on evictions in many parts of the country, I wonder if the food banks offer a delivery service to the homeless tent cities that are popping up?

Or is this thread just for discussing the many options that the rich and privileged have for food delivery?

Kurt

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I still like going to grocery store and picking up sale items, I use the Vons app. I tried Costco delivery but everything was out of stock and the prices are higher, I go in person once a month, usually when I need to gas up the car.

We like curbside food pickup, sometimes just dont want to cook. I have all the apps on my phone, very convenient to order and pick up. Subway if we are just going for an “outing” to get out of the house and eat lunch at the beach. Robecks for a smoothie, Sonic for a Cherry Limeade, always 1/2 price on the app, just pull into a stall and enter the stall number in the app.

We just got a new restaurant opened, Kabob Shop, we like mediterranean diet food, just meat / salad with the yogurt cucumber dressing. They take online orders with Square. Rubios has an app, we like fish taco Fridays.

I wont go back to standing in line to order and wait for pickup. Haven’t tried outside dining yet, a lot of places reopened like that but sitting next to a parking lot is not very appealing, lol.

Btw the Kebab Shop is amazing! We've had them in San Diego for about 10+ years and are addicted to the Doner Box with the rotisserie chicken. But let's face it, it's all about the garlic sauce, lol.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Now that Federal unemployment subsidies are ending and so are the moratorium on evictions in many parts of the country, I wonder if the food banks offer a delivery service to the homeless tent cities that are popping up?

Or is this thread just for discussing the many options that the rich and privileged have for food delivery?

Kurt

cmon Kurt, we are middle class, no rich 1%ers here. no need to poke a bee hive.

We have many foodbanks with food distribution, the homeless already know the schedules, the minimum wage working class are now attending also. The biggest change is moving to large parking lot drive thru distribution, no delivery that I am aware of.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am shocked at the difference in the quality of the produce from the CSA box vs the grocery store.
A friend of mine recently told me about one that she orders and I decided to order a box. For only $25. I got a huge amount of fruit and vegetables. It did include some items that we won't eat, which I give away, but even only counting what we do eat, it's a huge savings from the grocery store and much better quality.

I had been ordering Farm Fresh, but once COVID hit, their delivery times got messed up and after they made one big mistake with delivery for our box, I canceled. Their boxes had about 1/4 of what my new service has and Farm Fresh charged more.

Back to the original question - I've never liked waiting in lines and I've never liked shopping. For those reasons, I am loving picking up stuff to go that I have preordered. I hope we have these types of options forever. I've used Instacart twice and both times they had to contact me multiple times throughout the shopping because the store didn't have what it said they had online. It's not something that I'll use again unless I really cannot muster up the motivation to go to the store.

I've had other places mail me stuff. Costco has been extremely behind on delivery times. I think the worst was a 2 day delivery that took 12 days to get. I ordered nut butters from Wild Friends and spent over $60. to make it last. I ordered fruit boxes from Harry and Davids in the beginning when I couldn't get anything else delivered locally. I think I still have a couple months left on my fruit of the month club with them. All this stuff is in much greater quantities that I want and a lot more money than I'd normally pay, but I hate going to the store so much, that I will do whatever I can to avoid it.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The board is all about timesharing. I can't imagine a topic more bougie than that, even home delivery services!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A friend of mine recently told me about one that she orders and I decided to order a box. For only $25. I got a huge amount of fruit and vegetables. It did include some items that we won't eat, which I give away, but even only counting what we do eat, it's a huge savings from the grocery store and much better quality.

I had been ordering Farm Fresh, but once COVID hit, their delivery times got messed up and after they made one big mistake with delivery for our box, I canceled. Their boxes had about 1/4 of what my new service has and Farm Fresh charged more.

Back to the original question - I've never liked waiting in lines and I've never liked shopping. For those reasons, I am loving picking up stuff to go that I have preordered. I hope we have these types of options forever. I've used Instacart twice and both times they had to contact me multiple times throughout the shopping because the store didn't have what it said they had online. It's not something that I'll use again unless I really cannot muster up the motivation to go to the store.

I've had other places mail me stuff. Costco has been extremely behind on delivery times. I think the worst was a 2 day delivery that took 12 days to get. I ordered nut butters from Wild Friends and spent over $60. to make it last. I ordered fruit boxes from Harry and Davids in the beginning when I couldn't get anything else delivered locally. I think I still have a couple months left on my fruit of the month club with them. All this stuff is in much greater quantities that I want and a lot more money than I'd normally pay, but I hate going to the store so much, that I will do whatever I can to avoid it.
Are you doing Yasukochi Farms? if so, isn't is amazing what they are delivering for $25?? For us it's like Christmas morning every Wednesday.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you doing Yasukochi Farms? if so, isn't is amazing what they are delivering for $25?? For us it's like Christmas morning every Wednesday.
Yes. It is amazing what they will deliver for only $25. I think it would be at least $45 at the grocery store and the food wouldn't be nearly as fresh.