• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Woman killed in apparent shark attack while swimming in Maine

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Woman killed in apparent shark attack while swimming in Maine.

Richard

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just saw this on the news this morning :(

Apparently there were or they are investigating some shark sightings in Long Beach Long Island too. Beach might be closed today.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I find it interesting that the writer used the wording "unprovoked shark attack." Normally in Maine are there provoked shark attacks?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
They are going to need a bigger boat....

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
This is not very far from where I live. Bailey Island is on the end of Rt 24, which goes out of Brunswick. Scary stuff. We don't go to the beach too often, but definitely makes one think again!

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know. In Maine (usually one of the world's quietest places news wise!) there was a tornado, a manhunt, and a fatal shark attack all yesterday. As nutso as Missouri is right now (no, Bubba...the vaccine is not the government trying to microchip you!) I'm kind of glad I wasn't in Maine yesterday. YIKES!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
[Grisly post - skip this if you're squeamish]

Don't blame the shark. It was only being a shark, and doing what sharks do.

The linked article doesn't say the gorey details, but if others were able to help her to shore and she was receiving aid when she died, chances are it wasn't so much a shark "attack" as it was a shark "what does this taste like?" curiosity bite. Sharks tend to "taste bite" things, and spit out what isn't a normal food source. Unfortunately for humans, that one bite can be fatal, because it usually comes on a leg or midsection, where we happen to have large arteries and organs that tend to bleed out pretty quickly. My guess is this is what happened to this poor woman.

If it had been a true "attack," the shark would have repeatedly bit hard and chewed vigorously, rendering the poor woman quite dead, right there in the water. My guess (unsubstantiated, of course), is the shark did a quick taste bite, and the woman reacted accordingly. Others helped her to shore (no way to know how far they were from her when she was bitten), where the sad ending occurred. This article says she was "wading in the water," but another article says she was swimming. It says "nearby kayakers" helped her to shore, so she was apparently in water deep enough to have paddlers around. The other article says Great White sharks are known to live along the coast there, and remains of a seal carcass was found on another beach, with a 19-inch bite radius, signs of a fairly large shark. White sharks feed on seals, who are often taken in the shallows right off the beach, when the seal is coming or going from shore. So my extrapolation is the unfortunate woman was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Still not enough details to really know the facts at this time, but my guess is that this was a case of mistaken identity - the shark did a taste bite, and moved on. The woman, sadly, did not survive.

Sad situation, all around. But not the shark's fault.

Dave

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
misterjaw2.jpg

To be...or not... a shark has got to shark...

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Sharks are known for test bite first, ask questions later. Not good outcome for the test subjects.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@MommaBear I'd forgotten you lived in Harpswell. Thinking of your community. I'm sure there's a lot of fear down on the waterfront right now.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I bring a Velcro belt strap in my beach bag just in case.....

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NYC woman killed by shark in Maine 'just started
screaming': neighbor.

Richard

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
[Grisly post - skip this if you're squeamish]

Don't blame the shark. It was only being a shark, and doing what sharks do.

The linked article doesn't say the gorey details, but if others were able to help her to shore and she was receiving aid when she died, chances are it wasn't so much a shark "attack" as it was a shark "what does this taste like?" curiosity bite. Sharks tend to "taste bite" things, and spit out what isn't a normal food source. Unfortunately for humans, that one bite can be fatal, because it usually comes on a leg or midsection, where we happen to have large arteries and organs that tend to bleed out pretty quickly. My guess is this is what happened to this poor woman.

If it had been a true "attack," the shark would have repeatedly bit hard and chewed vigorously, rendering the poor woman quite dead, right there in the water. My guess (unsubstantiated, of course), is the shark did a quick taste bite, and the woman reacted accordingly. Others helped her to shore (no way to know how far they were from her when she was bitten), where the sad ending occurred. This article says she was "wading in the water," but another article says she was swimming. It says "nearby kayakers" helped her to shore, so she was apparently in water deep enough to have paddlers around. The other article says Great White sharks are known to live along the coast there, and remains of a seal carcass was found on another beach, with a 19-inch bite radius, signs of a fairly large shark. White sharks feed on seals, who are often taken in the shallows right off the beach, when the seal is coming or going from shore. So my extrapolation is the unfortunate woman was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Still not enough details to really know the facts at this time, but my guess is that this was a case of mistaken identity - the shark did a taste bite, and moved on. The woman, sadly, did not survive.

Sad situation, all around. But not the shark's fault.

Dave

Right. While I have no idea what this woman was wearing, my advice would be to not go wading or swimming close to shore on the Atlantic Coast disguised as a seal! No dark colored bathing or wet suit, water shoes or flippers! While I was born and raised in Florida, I also grew up spending some summers in Maine where my parents owned a house out from Ellsworth overlooking Mt Desert Island. None of us could ever do more than a quick swish of a foot in the water as it was so cold even in July/August. I adore Maine! Wish I was there right now!