• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I'm in Aruba now!

James G

Reaction score
I'm in Aruba currently and I'm staying at Marriott's Aruba Surf club. For anyone who has questions about the Covid testing etc, I might be able to help. I traveled from a higher risk state in which I had to get a rapid (nasal) test done and uploaded 72 hours before arrival. I was able to get the test in my home state, which was no easy task, and uploaded it to the Aruba website. The only problem I ran into was that I had an antigen test done, and they only want a PCR test. However, the health authorities sent me an email clearing me to come with the understanding that I would be required to take another rapid nasal PCR test once I arrived. I am currently quarantined at the hotel waiting the results, which they said would take 6-8 hours, but up to 24.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I'm in Aruba currently and I'm staying at Marriott's Aruba Surf club. For anyone who has questions about the Covid testing etc, I might be able to help. I traveled from a higher risk state in which I had to get a rapid (nasal) test done and uploaded 72 hours before arrival. I was able to get the test in my home state, which was no easy task, and uploaded it to the Aruba website. The only problem I ran into was that I had an antigen test done, and they only want a PCR test. However, the health authorities sent me an email clearing me to come with the understanding that I would be required to take another rapid nasal PCR test once I arrived. I am currently quarantined at the hotel waiting the results, which they said would take 6-8 hours, but up to 24.
Keep us posted on everything else. I was thinking of booking in a few weeks

James G

Reaction score
For me the most difficult part was getting a rapid test and the results within 72 hours. I found one urgent care place near me that did them, but only on a first come first served basis. Also, they only performed 80 tests per day. This medical facility opened at 12pm and stayed open until 10pm. People were lined up at 6 am! I thought was would be ahead of the game by getting there at 8:15, but I was number 25. Once the facility opened at 12pm, a nurse came around in the parking lot and wrote down your name and told you when they would call you back to come inside the facility to take your test, as they were allowing no more than 10 people inside at a time to allow for social distancing. I ended up getting my test done somewhere around 2:30, but if you were number 70 they probably got your test done at 8pm that night even though you night have arrived at 10am before the facility opened. They seem to be seeing around 10 people an hour. By the way I asked the nurse how many positive tests she gets out of the 80 people per day, and she said around 10%, so keep your distance when getting a test because you'll definitely be around positive people.

James G

Reaction score
Upload test review
After I uploaded my negative results, I got the following email the next morning. Thankfully the Aruban health officials allowed me to come anyway and have another rapid test performed at the airport. The are looking for a rapid PCR test, not the rapid antigen test which is what I had.

Dear JAMES G
We would like to thank you for choosing Aruba and would like to recognize that we are requiring additional steps from our visitors.
The Department of Public Health of Aruba (DPHA) has confirmed receipt of your uploaded SARS-CoV-2 test.
Unfortunately, your uploaded test does not comply with the criteria and standards required by the DPHA. Meaning, either the test you uploaded is older than 72 hours and/or is not a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. You are able to board the plane; however, please take into account that upon arrival in Aruba we will require you to redo the mandatory PCR test. The price for the test is $75 and you will be required to be in quarantine up to 24 hours pending test results.
We empathize and understand that these added precautions may be slightly inconvenient, however they are necessary safeguards and, for the time being, a part of the "new normal" for us all.
Should you have any additional questions related to the Embarkation and Disembarkation card and the visitors insurance, please feel free to contact us at: info@arubavisitorsinsurance.com or visit : www.arubavisistorsinsurance.com
Should you have any additional questions related to your travels please contact us at: support@aruba.com or visit us at: https://www.aruba.com/us/safe-travels-to-aruba

James G

Reaction score
The line at the Aruban airport was a bit long but not unreasonable. Once I made it to the customs and the medical screening my family and I got another rapid nasal test, this time a PCR test. After the test, I was asked to quarantine at my hotel for up to 24 hours while they got the results.
I received the following email this morning which was sent to me at 12am, roughly 8 hours from when I took the test.

Your SARS-CoV-2 test results
Your test results are negative; you are free to discontinue quarantine. Enjoy your stay while on Aruba!

We ask you to read the content of the app. In the case that you develop Covid-19 symptoms while on Aruba, please contact us at (+297) 2800101.

22go

Reaction score
The line at the Aruban airport was a bit long but not unreasonable. Once I made it to the customs and the medical screening my family and I got another rapid nasal test, this time a PCR test. After the test, I was asked to quarantine at my hotel for up to 24 hours while they got the results.
I received the following email this morning which was sent to me at 12am, roughly 8 hours from when I took the test.

Your test results are negative; you are free to discontinue quarantine. Enjoy your stay while on Aruba!

We ask you to read the content of the app. In the case that you develop Covid-19 symptoms while on Aruba, please contact us at (+297) 2800101.
Did you and your family also have to purchase their medical insurance? Have a great time. We hope to be there in November.

James G

Reaction score
Did you and your family also have to purchase their medical insurance? Have a great time. We hope to be there in November.

Yes, we did. All travelers are required too. Don't remember the exact price, but it wasn't to bad.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A few questions about your observations so far in Aruba:
1. Once you are on the island, do you see people wearing the masks and trying to stay socially distant from each other? Or since there are almost no cases on the island, does everyone just go around their routine normally?
2. Is the lazy river open to all or does it look like they are trying to keep it from getting crowded?
3. Are the restaurants full and do they seat people with the pre-Covid density of tables inside?

James G

Reaction score
I'm seeing quite a bit of masks being worn by the Aruban citizens when doing their jobs. All of the Marriott employees are wearing masks, the taxi driver was, as well as the workers in the restaurant I was in. The lazy river is open. It doesn't appear to be very crowded at all down here. Because the country just opened, crowd levels don't seem to be an issue. I've been doing a lot of beach activities. I haven't seen the tourists wearing masks although I do see signs everywhere reminding people to social distance and there is plenty of hand sanitizer stations around.

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau

Was the quarantine period at the resort or at another hotel?

James G

Reaction score
Was the quarantine period at the resort or at another hotel?
The quarantine period was at the resort. The results of my negative test were sent in an email that arrived at 12am. The next morning (or as soon as I got the results) I was free to discontinue the quarantine. If I would have had a positive test come back, it is my understanding I would have been quarantined somewhere else. What those conditions entail and the specifics are I can't say.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
James: My granddaughter will be checking in on Saturday. Could you please tell me about Building 8, 5th floor? Any view?, is this the Tower Building? Any help or additional info. would be so appreciated. This vacation is our wedding gift to them and I really hope the room is nice. This planning has been so stressful with the Covid 19 threats.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
James: I'm sorry ~ I just re-read your post and saw that your at the Marriott. I'm interested in the details of the DIVI Aruba Phoenix.

James G

Reaction score
James: My granddaughter will be checking in on Saturday. Could you please tell me about Building 8, 5th floor? Any view?, is this the Tower Building? Any help or additional info. would be so appreciated. This vacation is our wedding gift to them and I really hope the room is nice. This planning has been so stressful with the Covid 19 threats.

If her hotel is anything like the Marriott Aruba Surf club she should have no issues in getting a room change to a more preferred view or location if she wanted. I'm willing to bet most of the hotels here are at 25-30% capacity at best. To put it in perspective, we were the only family on a catamaran snorkeling tour of the ship wreck Antilla. The stressful part of the trip is getting here and clearing the medical test, if she needs one done here. Once she makes it past that, it's great down here.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your update. We decided to postpone our Aruba trip, we canceled our trip in September due to the “onerous” (things that would drive my husband crazy… LOL) requirements… But we’re looking forward to going back, hoping in a year from now. I just wonder how long the testing and quarantining will be in force...

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

James G

Reaction score
Are most things open?

I would say 90% open which is basically fully open in my book. There are still a few shops and restaurants still closed. I haven't been inconvenienced in the slightest by anything being closed. Everyone whose been here before as mentioned to me that we really have the place to ourselves. No crowds, no waiting for anything, plenty of open chairs around the pool and beach.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beautiful !!! On my list to visit as I haven't been. Been doing searches and can do anytime of year...!!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beautiful!!! Have a great time and thank you for sharing the steps you took with us.

22go

Reaction score
I would say 90% open which is basically fully open in my book. There are still a few shops and restaurants still closed. I haven't been inconvenienced in the slightest by anything being closed. Everyone whose been here before as mentioned to me that we really have the place to ourselves. No crowds, no waiting for anything, plenty of open chairs around the pool and beach.
How are guests social distancing in the lazy river? It must be nice to not have to run down to the pool in the morning to save a chair!!!

James G

Reaction score
There are signs everywhere reminding you to maintain social distance as well as directional signs on the sidewalks. There's also hand sanitizer stations everywhere. Due to the low crowd levels there's almost a natural social distance in the lazy river. The only ones not practicing social distance are the Iguanas who show up to ask for a bite of that salad you just ordered to your chair at the pool.

Attachments

• 20200722_130417.jpg
    20200722_130417.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 116

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. Can't wait to get back there! Thank you for sharing your pictures! Living vicariously through all those brave enough to get out into the world!

Never been to a beach where you see star fish in the water. Aruba is a beautiful place.