• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The coronavirus crisis just claimed another cruise line

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
"The line [Birka] operated a single ship, the 1,430-passenger Birka Stockholm."
-- Hardly worth a notice.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
"The line [Birka] operated a single ship, the 1,430-passenger Birka Stockholm."
-- Hardly worth a notice.

I've never heard of that line. Nonetheless, as I'm saying regarding a lot of businesses that are getting hammered by the effects of the pandemic, my heart goes out to the employees on that ship who are now out of jobs.

As a side point, with all these cruise ships being suspended causing their employees to be out of jobs, with which country could the employees file for unemployment benefits? Let's say an employee is form the USA but the ship is registered in Panama, with which country could the employee file for benefits? I'm not too sure how income taxes work in such a case but would the employee pay income tax to the US government in such a case?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Interesting question. I found this on cruiseshipjobs.com...

Crew members are responsible for any taxes due to their country of origin. Only United States citizens or employees that reside in the USA will have US federal taxes deducted from their pay. Your employment contract and the country where you are a citizen will determine how you are paid onboard.

Some countries do not require their citizens to pay taxes on employment income if they are a seafarer. On the other hand if you are a citizen of a country that requires you to report your worldwide income on your tax return, you may have to pay taxes when you file your tax return at the end of the year. The bottom line is that taxes will not be deducted from your payroll, but some nationalities will be responsible to remit taxes at the end of the year.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, All cruise lines will need to sail by November 2020 or you are going to a see a selloff of all the older cruise lines ships. The newer ships built in the last ten years are safe because they are larger and more energy efficient. IMO.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
IMHO, All cruise lines will need to sail by November 2020 or you are going to a see a selloff of all the older cruise lines ships. The newer ships built in the last ten years are safe because they are larger and more energy efficient. IMO.

Pedro47, Are you getting on a cruise ship by then? If not, who is??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Were they paying in anywhere? I do not feel its right gig workers are getting unemployment as they are 1099s and never paid into it. I get these difficult times but after this how many gig workers would offer to pay into unemployment?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Some countries do not require their citizens to pay taxes on employment income if they are a seafarer. On the other hand if you are a citizen of a country that requires you to report your worldwide income on your tax return, you may have to pay taxes when you file your tax return at the end of the year.
Fun fact: the US and Eritrea are the only two countries in the world that tax non-resident citizens on their worldwide income. If planned correctly employees of cruise lines can avoid paying tax to the country they are a citizen of.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Pedro47, Are you getting on a cruise ship by then? If not, who is??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve read a lot of articles that indicate many people are ready to cruise again as soon as the CDC puts safety precautions in place. That won’t be me but I didn’t cruise pre covid.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Am1, self-employed folks do pay unemployment taxes in the US, at least. Maybe that’s not true in a Canada, where you are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Am1, self-employed folks do pay unemployment taxes in the US, at least. Maybe that’s not true in a Canada, where you are.

In Canada, the employment status of "contract" or "gig" employees (i.e. whether they are considered employees or self-employed) will depend upon the nature of the contract and their employment history, amongst other considerations. If you are truly self-employed in Canada, you must contribute to CPP (Canada Pension Plan), but EI (employment insurance) is voluntary.

The reference by am1 to form 1099, which is an IRS form, has nothing to do with Canada. It applies only to US citizens or US tax residents or those who are considered a US person for tax purposes under IRS rules.

With the CPP, if you are self-employed, you get to pay both the employee and the employer portion!! If you elect to pay EI, then again you get to pay both the employee and employer portion, but you get to claim benefits. If you don't pay into EI, then you cannot claim unemployment insurance benefits.

During the pandemic there are other special support payments for business owners and the self-employed that could be accessed. Unfortunately, for some "gig" workers it may be more difficult to qualify for them, since they may fall through some of the "cracks", especially if they have not contributed to EI.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unemployment taxes (FUTA) in the United States are pay by employers and not by employees.

We will not be sailing on a cruise ship, until an all clear order is given by the CDC, probably in late 2021 or early 2022.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pullmantur has shut down. The ships were up for sale before the pandemic. Apparently being stripped down in Italy. They had 3 somewhat older ships that offered very affordable cruises. Liquor included and no surcharge restaurants but surcharge upgrades in the main dining room.

We only did one cruise with them and 2 years ago backed out of a second that looking back we should have went on.

I have wanted to do $200 plus some taxes transatlantic cruise but timing never worked out with kids in school. Might be boring for some and maybe I would feel that way after but its how many people crossed to come to the New World under much less desirable conditions.

Still hopefully be able to do a Disney cruise before our kids get too old.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't see much selling happening unless it is to the scrapyard. There will be no market for cruise ships in the next few years. Who is going to be out there buying. The small cruise lines that usually buy these ships are going out of business.

As far as I know, self employed individuals do not pay unemployment tax in the US and generally are not eligible for unemployment payments. The self employed pay Self Employment Tax, but that only covers Social Security and Medicare. They may pay unemployment insurance if they treat themselves as an employee within their business and are a W2 employee.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We were planning a Rhine Cruise on AMA this November. We were able to move it to October 2022. If this virus isn’t gone by then, we will cancel . Have two timeshare trips scheduled for October and December both are in driving distance so we plan to go with social distancing. Not leaving Florida until next year for travel.
Silentg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We were planning a Rhine Cruise on AMA this November. We were able to move it to October 2022. If this virus isn’t gone by then, we will cancel . Have two timeshare trips scheduled for October and December both are in driving distance so we plan to go with social distancing. Not leaving Florida until next year for travel.
Silentg
Dd and I moved our Rhine cruise from May 2021 to May 2022. We'll see what happens. Not sure what our options would be if we cancelled.