• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
true, but who has never had lingering flu effects for weeks if not even months? Have we forgotten so fast?

This is from the first link below:
"Patients who survive influenza A (H7N9) virus infection are at risk of physical and psychological complications of lung injury and multi-organ dysfunction. However, there were no prospectively individualized assessments of physiological, functional and quality-of-life measures after hospital discharge. The current study aims to assess the main determinants of functional disability of these patients during the follow-up. Fifty-six influenza A (H7N9) survivors were investigated during the 2-year after discharge from the hospital. Results show interstitial change and fibrosis on pulmonary imaging remained 6 months after hospital discharge. Both ventilation and diffusion dysfunction improved, but restrictive and obstructive patterns on ventilation function test persisted throughout the follow-up period. For patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome lung functions improved faster during the first six months. Role-physical and Role-emotional domains in the 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey were worse than those of a sex- and age-matched general population group. The quality of life of survivors with ARDS was lower than those with no ARDS. Our findings suggest that pulmonary function and imaging findings improved during the first 6 months especially for those with ARDS, however long-term lung disability and psychological impairment in H7N9 survivors persisted at 2 years after discharge from the hospital"

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The median age of those infected has dropped a lot. I believe in FL it is now 35 (don't quote me on that exact figure).
Everyone is getting tested here in Florida. Not to mention, people being admitted to the hospital that would have been sent home a Month ago

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Everyone is getting tested here in Florida. Not to mention, people being admitted to the hospital that would have been sent home a Month ago
Is this new? I've been talking to my bff, who lives there, every week and she hasn't mentioned it. I haven't talked to her yet this week though.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Is this really happening. Do you have a source.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The median age of those infected has dropped a lot. I believe in FL it is now 35 (don't quote me on that exact figure).
I saw this on the Florida C19 dashboard. The real shocker was the fact that the majority of the new cases are in the 25-34 year age group.

1593555976263.png

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this on the Florida C19 dashboard. The real shocker was the fact that the majority of the new cases are in the 25-34 year age group.

View attachment 22723
I posted about this a few days ago. The case rate is very high . But hospitals have no strain on the system. Median age has plummeted which is a GOOD THING. Docs are reporting less acute cases that are in hospital and shorter stays. The majority of people getting sick now are going to recover quickly .

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I posted about this a few days ago. The case rate is very high . But hospitals have no strain on the system. Median age has plummeted which is a GOOD THING. Docs are reporting less acute cases that are in hospital and shorter stays. The majority of people getting sick now are going to recover quickly .
If you changed that to "the majority of people getting sick now may recover quickly I would be happier. There was various articles stating that younger people may not recover as quickly as originally thought.

Reactions: jme

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was various articles stating that younger people may not recover as quickly as originally thought.
were those scientific studies?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
were those scientific studies?
Was there a scientific study saying The majority of people getting sick now are going to recover quickly ? Provide one for that and I'll see what I can dig up on my statement. I know one was from Johns Hopkins.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was there a scientific study saying The majority of people getting sick now are going to recover quickly ? Provide one for that and I'll see what I can dig up on my statement. I know one was from Johns Hopkins.
I did not say that but what she meant is that the average age of those sick is much lower now so they should recover quickly, it is pretty obvious if you compare with older people. If you can now please provide the study.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
interesting article about people who may still test positive but they are fully recovered and most likely do not spread the virus

Positive Covid-19 tests kept a mom and baby apart for 55 days. Experts see it as a bigger testing problem

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone is getting tested here in Florida. ...
Could you explain?

From the Miami Herald...Testing in Florida has seen steady growth. Experts suggest it's still not enough. A recent study in Miami-Dade County found that current limited testing capacity indicates the actual infection rate is likely ten times higher.

While I haven't counted, Florida ranks about toward the middle of the pack with regard to the number of people tested per million among the fifty states.

So, I am not sure what you are saying.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Less acute with shorter stays, which means patients presenting with symptoms they would have been sent home with a month or two ago. If I showed up to the hospital today with the same symptoms I had in March, I’d be admitted and put on oxygen. Now, those same cases are going in, getting a bed and going home. The health system collect a fat check.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Less acute with shorter stays, which means patients presenting with symptoms they would have been sent home with a month or two ago. If I showed up to the hospital today with the same symptoms I had in March, I’d be admitted and put on oxygen. Now, those same cases are going in, getting a bed and going home. The health system collect a fat check.
YUP -- and many hospitalizations that are now listed as "a Covid hospitalization" are due to the fact that someone is in hospital who HAS Covid, they are not in the hospital BECAUSE of Covid.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The hospitals have a financial incentive to admit patients with milder symptoms since the feds are subsidizing all the Covid related treatments.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I heard this afternoon that Los Angeles is anticipating hospital utilization at 100% next week. I’m still searching for details on this, but with the increase in cases it makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I did not say that but what she meant is that the average age of those sick is much lower now so they should recover quickly, it is pretty obvious if you compare with older people. If you can now please provide the study.
So I can make a statement and have to provide proof of a scientific study. But others, in this case Cornell can put a statement out there.

Would you have been happier if I'd just asked her to change the words?

And where is your scientific study proving the average age of those sick is much lower now so they should recover quickly.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
States reported 575 US COV2 deaths today. That's the lowest Tuesday figure since Mar 24 and down from last week's 703. The 7-day avg falls to 525.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
YUP -- and many hospitalizations that are now listed as "a Covid hospitalization" are due to the fact that someone is in hospital who HAS Covid, they are not in the hospital BECAUSE of Covid.
Can you give a source for this, I cannot find any reference to good hospital numbers in FL. Also I would think a hospital would want to know if a patient has covid. I wonder why you would see something nefarious in a DR doing a test and making a diagnosis. What is more important is whether a patient needs to be treated different due to a diagnosed illness. Here is the best I can find on FL. It chronicles the increase of close to 3 fold of Emergency Department visits due to flu or covid like illness in the 2 weeks leading up to the week of 6/15.

then navigate to the health metrics tab.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
One may wonder if those younger and not as severely ill had to be hospitalized at all:

"The patients are younger and not as severely ill as they were during the first wave in April, and doctors and nurses have gained valuable experience in the months-long pandemic — leading to shorter hospital stays and better outcomes "

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
One may wonder if those younger and not as severely ill had to be hospitalized at all:

"The patients are younger and not as severely ill as they were during the first wave in April, and doctors and nurses have gained valuable experience in the months-long pandemic — leading to shorter hospital stays and better outcomes "

Is this a scientific study.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not sure that "govtech.com" is any kind of credible source.

ICUs are filling up, based on *both* COVID-19 cases and delayed care. This fact, combined with increased cases, is not a good thing in any way, shape, or form.

And we need waaaaay more testing. And waaaay more contact tracing. Because it is in the testing, and the contact tracing, and the isolation of those that interacted with a positive person, can we ever hope to reduce the PREVENTABLE deaths from COVID-19. And the quicker we do this, the quicker we can get back to "normal." (Although, I would posit, the pandemic is showing how not-great the before "normal" was in the US, and I hope we come through this into something *better* than we were before.)

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you give a source for this, I cannot find any reference to good hospital numbers in FL. Also I would think a hospital would want to know if a patient has covid. I wonder why you would see something nefarious in a DR doing a test and making a diagnosis. What is more important is whether a patient needs to be treated different due to a diagnosed illness. Here is the best I can find on FL. It chronicles the increase of close to 3 fold of Emergency Department visits due to flu or covid like illness in the 2 weeks leading up to the week of 6/15.

then navigate to the health metrics tab.
"About a quarter of all patients admitted to the city’s main public hospital over the past two weeks tested positive for the coronavirus, including those who came in from car crashes, heart attacks and other problems."

I don't think it's nefarious at all to think that a dr, should be testing for C19. Not sure why you inferred that from my comments. Of course, all patients in a hospital should be tested for C19, no matter why they are there. It's a contagious disease.

I'm just trying to make the point that an increase in hospitalizations isn't necessarily b/c someone walked in saying "I'm sick with C19". Now that the hospitals are open for elective surgeries, people going to the ER, etc, it stands to reason that patients will be admitted for other reasons and then discovered that they have C19. They will then be classified as a hospitalization w/C19.

Status
Not open for further replies.