• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The recommendations from the CDC were updated yesterday.

CDC recommends that people wear cloth face coverings in public settings when around people outside of their household, especially when other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.

Cloth face coverings may help prevent people who have COVID-19 from spreading the virus to others.

Cloth face coverings are most likely to reduce the spread of COVID-19 when they are widely used by people in public settings.

Cloth face coverings should NOT be worn by children under the age of 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.

Evidence for Effectiveness of Cloth Face Coverings

Cloth face coverings are recommended as a simple barrier to help prevent respiratory droplets from traveling into the air and onto other people when the person wearing the cloth face covering coughs, sneezes, talks, or raises their voice. This is called source control. This recommendation is based on what we know about the role respiratory droplets play in the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19, paired with emerging evidence from clinical and laboratory studies that shows cloth face coverings reduce the spray of droplets when worn over the nose and mouth. COVID-19 spreads mainly among people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet), so the use of cloth face coverings is particularly important in settings where people are close to each other or where social distancing is difficult to maintain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a new reco? ;)

Cloth face coverings should NOT be worn by children under the age of 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Is this a new reco? ;)

Cloth face coverings should NOT be worn by children under the age of 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance
Sorry didn't read far enough back to see where this came from.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Is this a new reco? ;)

We get it. You don’t trust the CDC because they have changed their recommendations over time...as is typical with science as new evidence is discovered. Rather than continue to discredit these recommendations, perhaps you should educate yourself on the process. Here’s a start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Sorry didn't read far enough back to see where this came from.

If you look at the linked CDC page, you will find numerous links to studies supporting their evidence based recommendation.

Recent Studies:
Rothe C, Schunk M, Sothmann P, et al. Transmission of 2019-nCoV Infection from an Asymptomatic Contact in Germany. The New England journal of medicine. 2020;382(10):970-971. PMID: 32003551external icon
Zou L, Ruan F, Huang M, et al. SARS-CoV-2 Viral Load in Upper Respiratory Specimens of Infected Patients. The New England journal of medicine. 2020;382(12):1177-1179. PMID: 32074444external icon
Pan X, Chen D, Xia Y, et al. Asymptomatic cases in a family cluster with SARS-CoV-2 infection. The Lancet Infectious diseases. 2020. PMID: 32087116external icon
Bai Y, Yao L, Wei T, et al. Presumed Asymptomatic Carrier Transmission of COVID-19. Jama. 2020. PMID: 32083643external icon
Kimball A HK, Arons M, et al. Asymptomatic and Presymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infections in Residents of a Long-Term Care Skilled Nursing Facility — King County, Washington, March 2020. MMWR Morbidity and mortality weekly report. 2020; ePub: 27 March 2020. PMID: 32240128external icon
Wei WE LZ, Chiew CJ, Yong SE, Toh MP, Lee VJ. Presymptomatic Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 — Singapore, January 23–March 16, 2020. MMWR Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2020;ePub: 1 April 2020. PMID: 32271722external icon
Li R, Pei S, Chen B, et al. Substantial undocumented infection facilitates the rapid dissemination of novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV2). Science (New York, NY). 2020. PMID: 32179701external icon
Furukawa NW, Brooks JT, Sobel J. Evidence Supporting Transmission of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 While Presymptomatic or Asymptomatic [published online ahead of print, 2020 May 4]. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26(7):10.3201/eid2607.201595. Link
Oran DP, Topol Prevalence of Asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection: A Narrative Review [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 3]. Ann Intern Med. 2020;M20-3012. PMID: 32491919external icon
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2020. Rapid Expert Consultation on the Possibility of Bioaerosol Spread of SARS-CoV-2 for the COVID-19 Pandemic (April 1, 2020). Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/25769external icon.
Schwartz KL, Murti M, Finkelstein M, et al. Lack of COVID-19 transmission on an international flight. CMAJ. 2020;192(15):E410. PMID: 32392504external icon
Anfinrud P, Stadnytskyi V, Bax CE, Bax A. Visualizing Speech-Generated Oral Fluid Droplets with Laser Light Scattering. N Engl J Med. 2020 Apr 15. doi:10.1056/NEJMc2007800. PMID: 32294341external icon
Davies A, Thompson KA, Giri K, Kafatos G, Walker J, Bennett A. Testing the efficacy of homemade masks: would they protect in an influenza pandemic? Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2013;7(4):413-8. PMID: 24229526external icon
Konda A, Prakash A, Moss GA, Schmoldt M, Grant GD, Guha S. Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks. ACS Nano. 2020 Apr 24. PMID: 32329337external icon
Aydin O, Emon B, Saif MTA. Performance of fabrics for home-made masks against spread of respiratory infection through droplets: a quantitative mechanistic study. medRxiv preprint doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.04.19.20071779, posted April 24, 2020.
Ma QX, Shan H, Zhang HL, Li GM, Yang RM, Chen JM. Potential utilities of mask-wearing and instant hand hygiene for fighting SARS-CoV-2. J Med Virol. 2020. PMID: 32232986external icon

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you look at the linked CDC page, you will find numerous links to studies supporting their evidence based recommendation.

When I first read Cornell's post I didn't know where the statement had come from. Then I looked further up and saw it was from the CDC, along with other recommendations.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
please wear a mask. social distancing indoors without masks is (better than nothing) not nearly as effective as masks. Probably don't even need distancing with masks. And CHOOSE outdoors whenever possible.
CDC did a disservice saying no masks early on (fearing hoarding--it made zero sense). DH is in medical field--we saw that and said "WHAT??" And wore our old N95 basement construction masks in March.
Look at IHME new stats and covid predictions--astounding difference with masks.

Last edited:

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Incorrect. Mask are proven to work to prevent SARS-COV-2 from being transmitted via air droplets. This is the most common means of transmission. (Fomite is secondary by far - Fomite => surface contaminated by viral particles)
I do agree that many people are wearing masks that are insufficient.
A person should not be able to blow out a flame (e.g. match) through their mask. But to state that it is not proven that masks work, or a respirator mask is needed, is blatantly false (and sounds quite political tbh).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Respirator mask may be overkill, but in the microbiology world, there are no on/offs, merely higher and lower probabilities. Look at the number of healthcare workers who died in the last few Ebola epidemics, because they were not sufficiently paranoid.

(I already had the HEPA respirator. I use it as protection when spraying my roses with fungicides. . . )

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We get it. You don’t trust the CDC because they have changed their recommendations over time...as is typical with science as new evidence is discovered. Rather than continue to discredit these recommendations, perhaps you should educate yourself on the process. Here’s a start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

HOly cow - such hostility. I'm merely pointing out that it's a funny reco stating the obvious -- was meant to be light-hearted.

I wear a mask routinely so enough already. The only place I don't wear one is walking my dog, riding my bike (no -- I'm not in a densely populated area), or at my gym. OH, I don't wear one in my own home either.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
look down at trajectory thru Oct 1 for Covid if universal mask usage . According to IHME (a respected group of scientists/statisticians), "Increasing mask use to rates of 95% could reduce the number of estimated deaths due to COVID-19 substantially around the world. We estimate that increasing mask use could lead to reductions in the number of deaths by greater than 50% in many locations around the world, including..... some US states. [note: # of Covid cases is many times lower as well].

Last edited:
Reactions: jme

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today, I asked this couple this question in the grocery store. The couple were not wearing masks. . With the spike in COVID-19 virus. Which do you prefer. Wearing ?A masks in public or wearing a respirator in hospital?

They stop and start thinking. Their final answer were masks.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
HOly cow - such hostility. I'm merely pointing out that it's a funny reco stating the obvious -- was meant to be light-hearted.

I wear a mask routinely so enough already. The only place I don't wear one is walking my dog, riding my bike (no -- I'm not in a densely populated area), or at my gym. OH, I don't wear one in my own home either.

Wasn't meant to be hostile. However, I'm surprised you feign ignorance as to how your comments are taken by some of us after so many posts.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Wouldn't it be great if there were a federal health agency that would collect all the data daily, analyze it consistently, and make it available to the public and to the media?

They could require that those agencies reporting tests adhere to a common, data-rich format, and include, age, health status, reason for testing, results of any previous testing, etc.

They could call it the "Centers for Disease Control and Prevention"! </sarcasm>

I agree with @MrQ that the most important metric is new hospitalizations, although I would like to see a distinction between "hospitalized BECAUSE OF Covid" and "hospitalized for something else but Covid positive."

And my two cents' worth on masks comes from Mother Theresa: "We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

Here's another small thing I'm doing: I bought 30 postcards and send one a day to various government officials. Today's is going to the President and reads "Please re-enable the CDC, we need their help desperately."

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
would collect all the data daily, analyze it consistently, and make it available to the public and to the media?
I know you're being sarcastic about the CDC, but the IHME has done just that.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I agree with @MrQ that the most important metric is new hospitalizations, although I would like to see a distinction between "hospitalized BECAUSE OF Covid" and "hospitalized for something else but Covid positive."
That was the intent of my post on that point.

It's too bad that the Govinatotors can't get together to adopt a normalized reporting model. Unfortunately, they are too busy skewing the numbers to support decisions which play to their contributors rather than the greater good.

Reactions: jme

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That was the intent of my post on that point.

It's too bad that the Govinatotors can't get together to adopt a normalized reporting model. Unfortunately, they are too busy skewing the numbers to support decisions which play to their contributors rather than the greater good.
It's too bad we didn't have any kind of national standard for this.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
It's too bad we didn't have any kind of national standard for this.
H L Mencken was right: "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." BOHICA

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Incorrect. Mask are proven to work to prevent SARS-COV-2 from being transmitted via air droplets. This is the most common means of transmission. (Fomite is secondary by far - Fomite => surface contaminated by viral particles)
I do agree that many people are wearing masks that are insufficient.
A person should not be able to blow out a flame (e.g. match) through their mask. But to state that it is not proven that masks work, or a respirator mask is needed, is blatantly false (and sounds quite political tbh).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you agree with me that people are wearing masks that are insufficient therefore debatable as to whether all masks (In general) work. Really wasn’t political and I stated that because I couldn’t wait to be accused of that. There are those in the medical community who will argue for and against masks. As Dr Fauci said, “it may help”. Yeah it helps, but it’s not the end all be all. Again, I wear masks and I’m all for them because anything is better than nothing.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
So you agree with me that people are wearing masks that are insufficient therefore debatable as to whether all masks (In general) work. Really wasn’t political and I stated that because I couldn’t wait to be accused of that. There are those in the medical community who will argue for and against masks. As Dr Fauci said, “it may help”. Yeah it helps, but it’s not the end all be all. Again, I wear masks and I’m all for them because anything is better than nothing.
The best, and safest thing to do is to stay home. Since that is just about impossible for most people, social distancing and wearing masks can help.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Bad news all over for the US.

CDC says U.S. has 'way too much virus' to control pandemic as cases surge across country

The coronavirus is spreading too rapidly and too broadly for the U.S. to get it under control as some other countries have, Dr. Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Monday.

The U.S. stands in stark contrast to countries like South Korea, New Zealand and Singapore as it continues to report over 30,000 new infections per day.

"This is really the beginning," Schuchat said of the U.S.'s recent surge in new cases.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
And very bad news for those of us in Los Angeles.

It will be interesting to see where the numbers go in the next 2-3 weeks, but LA has been doing well on the daily fatality rate, but there is a recent spike. Yes, positive tests are increasing as testing ramps up to all time highs, but deaths not remotely following along.
1593492265408.png

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
0d332715a9c51ce1a7db4bd36a6626cc.jpg

What is the reason for the spike in the US? I am curious as to why the US is spiking but Europe did not. Some countries in Europe still have higher deaths per million than the US. It makes no sense to me why the US is different. Are deaths per million also spiking in the US? I am particularly interested in the comparison to Italy, France and UK. These countries had a worse epidemic than we did so what are they doing differently than us?

Status
Not open for further replies.