• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

EU bans American travelers effective July 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s Official—Americans Won’t Be Allowed Into Europe When It Reopens
By Michelle Baran
Jun 27, 2020

From Afar magazine

flipboard
Photo by Shutterstock

Spots like Positano on Italy’s Amalfi Coast remain off limits to American travelers for the time being.
Photo by Shutterstock
A list of the countries whose citizens will be allowed to travel to Europe starting on July 1 has been released, and it does not include the United States, the “New York Times” reported.
Article continues below advertisement

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

flipboard
It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for. And now we have to wait even longer. The European Union has revealed the list of countries whose travelers will be welcomed back to the continent on July 1, and it does not include the United States, according to a New York Times report on Friday.
The Times reported that the European Union plans to continue to bar travelers from the United States due to the fact that the country has not brought the coronavirus outbreak under control. The news comes just after the United States reported 36,880 new cases on Wednesday, a record for a single day.
As of June 26, the United States had 2.45 million confirmed coronavirus cases, more than any other country in the world, according to Johns Hopkins University. Second is Brazil, with 1.23 million confirmed cases, followed by Russia with nearly 620,000 cases. Neither Brazil nor Russia are on the EU’s list either. The United States also leads in deaths, with nearly 125,000 as of June 26.
On July 1, the European Union will open up to outside travelers for the first time since it closed its borders on March 17 as the coronavirus pandemic gripped the continent. Those restrictions were extended three times, and the latest extension left the ban in place until July 1, 2020.
Article continues below advertisement

The full list of approved places provided to the New York Times on Friday includes Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, and the Vatican.
It could also include China, but only if China allows EU travelers to visit as well, EU officials told the paper. The list still needs to be formalized by the governments of each member state as well as by the European Union before taking effect on July 1, but officials reportedly said they did not expect the list to change.
The list will be updated every two weeks, which leaves open the possibility for countries to be added to or removed from it. As the Timespoints out, it's not a legally binding list, but any member state that opens borders to countries not on the list could find themselves shut off from other E.U. partners.
"The E.U.'s announcement is incredibly disappointing, and a step in the wrong direction as we seek to rebuild our global economy," U.S. Travel Association Executive Vice President for Public Affairs and Policy Tori Emerson Barnes said. "This is unwelcome news, and will have major negative implications for an economic recovery—particularly if this ban results in cycles of retaliation, as is so often the case."

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I wonder how this will effect troop movements through Europe as they deploy to and return from locations throughout Europe and the Middle East....

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I wonder how this will effect troop movements through Europe as they deploy to and return from locations throughout Europe and the Middle East....
I would think there will be exceptions made as with every ban so far.

mcZabel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVMax Cabo Azul
This is a good thing. The piss poor response of this country to the virus should be confronted by the rest of the world and make the people of the US.
finally realize all that we could have done but have not.

I am not talking only about the feds but also the irresponsible states with citizens who refuse to:

Do.The.Right.Thing and wear masks or face shields.

This is simply NOT a political issue. It is a human life issue.

I have only good things to say about a continent or country that has acted responsibly and sees with horror at what is happening in the US. I would not
want US citizens in my country either.
I speak from the keen perspective of being in Arizona-Land of no masks, no mandates and no cares about one's fellow man. But the businesses are OPEN! Yippee!

mcZabel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVMax Cabo Azul
To Tori Emerson Barnes of the US Travel Association,
If you think this is such terrible news, your association needs to put the screws to our government and make them understand why this happened and get them to get their butts in gear to FIX the Covid crises.
We are pawns in this whole debacle. Stand up and speak for the voiceless victims in the US citizenry and tell Government official how this affects a HUGE and important industry.
This is NOT retaliation on Europe's part. It is just COMMON SENSE.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@mcZabel - I do hope you reserve some scorn for where this virus started as well. Having said that, what actions would you have had our government do that people would actually have followed?

And I ask that not from a condescending tone but rather from the perspective of process improvement.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
@mcZabel - I do hope you reserve some scorn for where this virus started as well. Having said that, what actions would you have had our government do that people would actually have followed?

And I ask that not from a condescending tone but rather from the perspective of process improvement.

I'll accept that challenge. And I'll keep it simple with 2 items:
An efficient, well-managed plan to get enough needed supplies to the people who need it. Masks, gowns, ventilators, hospital beds etc. Instead, we got a mishmash of everybody out for themselves with every state or local group competing against each other for needed supplies. More costly and more confusing and much less efficient. The failure of our federal leadership to actually provide leadership is damn near criminal. And yes, I am furious at the level of incompetence demonstrated.

An efficient and consist messaging of the dangers and unknowns involved. Updated as new information became available but ALWAYS based on the best science. When appointments are made based on loyalty to a person instead of knowledge of their field, we get incompetence. The CDC's failures in testing at the beginning were appalling. But it's not just the failure of effective communication, but the effort to negate the facts and turn it into a political fight instead of dealing with it in a straight forward and effective manner. So not just incompetence, but malevolent and cynical.

In my opinion, every elected official who enabled the incompetence needs to be fired in November. And, again, yes, I am furious and fed up. And I have been continually, to my dismay, reminded of that old saying "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." The people spending hours trying to rationalize away this disease and the need to wear a damn mask is astonishing and depressing. The level of stupidity shown by way too many Americans is depressing.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
An efficient, well-managed plan to get enough needed supplies to the people who need it. Masks, gowns, ventilators, hospital beds etc. Instead, we got a mishmash of everybody out for themselves with every state or local group competing against each other for needed supplies. More costly and more confusing and much less efficient. The failure of our federal leadership to actually provide leadership is damn near criminal. And yes, I am furious at the level of incompetence demonstrated.

An efficient and consist messaging of the dangers and unknowns involved. Updated as new information became available but ALWAYS based on the best science. When appointments are made based on loyalty to a person instead of knowledge of their field, we get incompetence. The CDC's failures in testing at the beginning were appalling. But it's not just the failure of effective communication, but the effort to negate the facts and turn it into a political fight instead of dealing with it in a straight forward and effective manner. So not just incompetence, but malevolent and cynical.

In my opinion, every elected official who enabled the incompetence needs to be fired in November. And, again, yes, I am furious and fed up. And I have been continually, to my dismay, reminded of that old saying "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." The people spending hours trying to rationalize away this disease and the need to wear a damn mask is astonishing and depressing. The level of stupidity shown by way too many Americans is depressing.
Excellent !!! Totally agree.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel a sense of failure and embarrassment even though I'm on the other side of the pond right now. Believe me, there are issues here with air bridges and failing to meet the criteria. I really hope the USA can get a handle on this virus.Many people here want to visit the USA too. Part of the problem is no federal mandate with all the Govs. which would be extremely difficult to reinforce I can see. All this conversation about my rights.How about your health and others ?! Like I read someplace you dont have the right to drive drunk or 100mph!!

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I have heard rumors from friends in Belize that the Belizean Tourist Board is considering doing the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if other countries followed. Glad we are Canadian and booked direct Canada to Belize flights for this winter (if Belize opens it's borders).

~Diane

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

All right - let's proceed.

I can definitely sense your anger here but you know what, I agree with you on these points. In my lifetime (near three score), I cannot recall our country having a government that functioned for the benefit of people without placing other interests above those. I am not old enough to remember the experiences from Vietnam but from Watergate forward, I recall those events. The malfeasance of government in my lifetime has been immense, but we have to remember that did not start recently. Our government (at all levels, and through all leaders) has been unprepared an unconscionable number of times in my recollection. The thing is, how do we interrupt the infinite loop of this horrible cycle? I feel your fury, but what saddens me most is there appears to be no way to change it.

Again, I agree with these points and (not meaning to redirect the point) this has been a massive point of failure with instant media. Our media - from all sides - continues to let us down because it is beholden to special interest, advertising, and most of all the pursuit of money. Useful, accurate, and relevant data may (or may not) be all around us but the process to improve (to reform if you will) is lost in the cacophony that is the constant back and forth between the entrenched sides these days. In theory, the CDC should be a useful governmental agency if only to serve as a reliable source of data. But that function (and confidence) has been lost over the years because some bureaucrat wants the numbers to support their point.

In my opinion, every elected official who enabled the incompetence needs to be fired in November. And, again, yes, I am furious and fed up. And I have been continually, to my dismay, reminded of that old saying "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

And we are seeing that continue to play out every day on the news.

The people spending hours trying to rationalize away this disease and the need to wear a damn mask is astonishing and depressing. The level of stupidity shown by way too many Americans is depressing.

The one thing that caught my attention here was your point on wearing masks. I do not wear a mask in public because on those few occasions when I leave the house, I do the shopping required for our home when crowds are very light (but I also need to remind you I live in a rather rural area). I maintain social distance throughout each trip but I need to acknowledge this is rather easy to accomplish in my area. Obviously, a lot more people live in places where this is NOT possible. I wanted to make this point because mask wearing (as useful as it may be) still is less effective than social distancing (and from my perspective, the greater the social distance, the better) and social distancing is less effective than staying at home. I do agree with the thrust of what you are saying here though.

Good points. Thanks for your reply.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I have heard rumors from friends in Belize that the Belizean Tourist Board is considering doing the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if other countries followed. Glad we are Canadian and booked direct Canada to Belize flights for this winter (if Belize opens it's borders).

~Diane
My BIL and his spouse are moving to Belize in August as Belize will be reopening for Canadians. They will have a 14 day quarantine when they get there, but things are opening up.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
The one thing that caught my attention here was your point on wearing masks. I do not wear a mask in public because on those few occasions when I leave the house, I do the shopping required for our home when crowds are very light (but I also need to remind you I live in a rather rural area). I maintain social distance throughout each trip but I need to acknowledge this is rather easy to accomplish in my area. Obviously, a lot more people live in places where this is NOT possible. I wanted to make this point because mask wearing (as useful as it may be) still is less effective than social distancing (and from my perspective, the greater the social distance, the better) and social distancing is less effective than staying at home. I do agree with the thrust of what you are saying here though.

Good points. Thanks for your reply.

All it takes is one person one time, no matter how rural. You don't know who was in that spot 1 minute before you got there. In addition, unless you were tested that morning, you don't know if you have it or are an asymptomatic carrier. I can give you lots of examples of small town/rural places hit hard. So stop rationalizing why you don't have to wear one, and just do it. Set an example for your neighbors.

But the larger issue: this disease is devastating the country both in the numbers of people dead or sickened, with lots of the latter left with permanent damage. This disease is also devastating the county economically. We have the potential for a full scale depression. The unemployment numbers are way too high, etc. All we are asked to get people back to work, to get their paychecks going again so they can pay their rent, feed their kids etc, ALL WE ARE ASKED IS TO WEAR A MASK!. Such a small thing. Such a big impact. Of course, I'll wear a mask. I would be ashamed to do otherwise.

mcZabel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVMax Cabo Azul
There can be no justification to not wearing a face covering whenever you are in any space where there are, or were people breathing and speaking. The virus is mainly airborne and can remain in the air for up to 3 hours according to Harvard Health and countless other credible institutions.
Anyone who does not wear a mask is simply dragging out the time it takes us in the US to get a new normal that we can abide by.
Notice I did not say 'get back to normal'. No rational person should even think that our lives can be lived as they were pre Covid. The new normal is what we have to strive for.
The new normal is an existence that takes into account that the virus will be here to stay and we have to work around it. Working around it means WEARING MASKS/FACE SHIELDS.

Another thing. To those who are whining about the nastiness of wearing a face covering. I would like you to ask anyone working in a medical facility or EMT department if they find that wearing a mask is just too inconvenient as they go about their days and nights trying to save your sorry ass because you had too much of an ego to wear a mask.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

My BIL and his spouse are moving to Belize in August as Belize will be reopening for Canadians. They will have a 14 day quarantine when they get there, but things are opening up.

I doubt they will be able to move down in August unless they have BZ residency or citizenship. Belize is opening the airport Aug.15th only for tourists who are going to a 'all-inclusive type' (Gold Standard) resort. They must stay on the premises and not take any tours or go into the nearest town for anything, and can only travel from the airport to the resort with an approved transfer company or resort provided transportation. Incoming tourists must have a COVID test within 72 hrs before departing their home country and bring proof of a negative result with them. There will still be procedures (disinfecting shoes when getting off the plane, have their temperature checked, download the COVID Health Dept. App for tracing...) to follow upon their arrival in Belize. The Prime Minister, in his statement yesterday, said he hopes that Belize can accept more tourists going to regular style hotels, rentals, B&Bs, or expats that own winter homes down there, can travel to Belize later this fall if the COVID positive tests don't soar with this first phase of opening. Since there are limited medical facilities (ie; 3 respirators in the whole country) they cant afford to take chances with infected tourists entering the country.

Here is a link to the latest press release from yesterday. https://belizetourismboard.org/belize-announces-phased-re-opening-plan-for-tourism/
We know fellow Canadians (and a few Americans) who spend 4-6 months in Belize every year in a house (or B&B/condo) they own down there, and they are not even allowed to enter the country during the August opening, they have to wait until the next phase later this fall. If your BIL is on Facebook he would be wise to follow & read the information the Belize Expats group.

~Diane

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I doubt they will be able to move down in August unless they have BZ residency or citizenship. Belize is opening the airport Aug.15th only for tourists who are going to a 'all-inclusive type' (Gold Standard) resort. They must stay on the premises and not take any tours or go into the nearest town for anything, and can only travel from the airport to the resort with an approved transfer company or resort provided transportation. Incoming tourists must have a COVID test within 72 hrs before departing their home country and bring proof of a negative result with them. There will still be procedures (disinfecting shoes when getting off the plane, have their temperature checked, download the COVID Health Dept. App for tracing...) to follow upon their arrival in Belize. The Prime Minister, in his statement yesterday, said he hopes that Belize can accept more tourists going to regular style hotels, rentals, B&Bs, or expats that own winter homes down there, can travel to Belize later this fall if the COVID positive tests don't soar with this first phase of opening. Since there are limited medical facilities (ie; 3 respirators in the whole country) they cant afford to take chances with infected tourists entering the country.

Here is a link to the latest press release from yesterday. https://belizetourismboard.org/belize-announces-phased-re-opening-plan-for-tourism/
We know fellow Canadians (and a few Americans) who spend 4-6 months in Belize every year in a house (or B&B/condo) they own down there, and they are not even allowed to enter the country during the August opening, they have to wait until the next phase later this fall. If your BIL is on Facebook he would be wise to follow & read the information the Belize Expats group.

~Diane
Thanks. I believe they have residency in Belize now as they own a property there. My SIL will be helping to run the new Wyndham property on Ambergris Caye. They were originally supposed to move in April but that got put on hold - but it is moving forward now.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am VERY sad about being blocked from entering other countries, however I understand completely why. If I was a leader of another I would NOT let us in either. We are traveling in the US right now, but there are tons of states I wouldn't go near if they paid my way and put me up at a St. Regis, Ritz, or a Waldorf Astoria. And when we are in the other states we wear masks in public, do not eat in restaurants, and social distance. Just plain a.. common sense. As soon as the borders open up I am otta here.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks. I believe they have residency in Belize now as they own a property there. My SIL will be helping to run the new Wyndham property on Ambergris Caye. They were originally supposed to move in April but that got put on hold - but it is moving forward now.
They will still need to go through a bit of red tape to get in and I don't even know if they just have residency (and not citizenship) that they will be allowed in. A friend of ours who is an American citizen but has Belize residency and has lived full time in a house she owns outside of Corozal for well over 10 years. She returned to Arizona in Feb. to help her parents after her mom had a hip replacement, her dad has poor health and cant do much. Before she could return to Belize everything shut down and she has been stuck in Arizona since. Her DH remained in Belize to look after their house and dogs and they both have tried every avenue to get her back 'home' that they could think of with no success. Repatriation flights for Belize citizens who were stuck in another country just started a couple of weeks ago and there are lots of forms and procedures to follow to get on one and return to Belize. Our friend has already been told she is not eligible to return on a flight during the first phase of opening in August and must wait for the next phase to start.

Maybe Wyndham can help get your SIL into the country.

~Diane
(Edited to add; owning a house & or property in Belize does not automatically give you residency)

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score

That’s just ridiculous. You can justify or rationalize it any way you want but at any given moment you don’t know if you are a asymptomatic carrier exposing others to the virus. Assuming you breathe when you go through the store, you could transmit the virus to any other person who passes by you in the next three minutes. I don’t think very many people intend to pass the virus to another but obviously it is being transmitted and ALL reasonable precautions need to be taken.

Even if you don’t transmit virus, it is a terrible message to send to others. Earlier in your post you write (refering to our society). ... But there is no other way to change it. Well here there is a way to change it and you rationalize you way around it. There are plenty of rationalizations to pick from ie. I don’t like how it looks; i don’t breathe well with it; and oh i’m not sick. BUT THE FACT IS If all Americans wore masks, thousands of lives would be saved. Japan has almost total compliance on wearing face masks and they have just over 1,000 deaths. We have over 125,000 dead I think that speaks volumes.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Anyone who does not wear a mask is simply dragging out the time it takes us in the US to get a new normal that we can abide by.
Wouldn't just having huge big COVID parties with everyone getting sick get us back to the new normal faster than what you are suggesting? Not saying it is the way to go, but masking up and lockdowns will also drag this out for a long time.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Wouldn't just having huge big COVID parties with everyone getting sick get us back to the new normal faster than what you are suggesting? Not saying it is the way to go, but masking up and lockdowns will also drag this out for a long time.
Well if people getting sick only meant they didn't feel well and had to take it easy for a few days or so, maybe that would be the way to go. But with some/many people requiring hospitalization, having horrendous after effects, and potential death? No, I personally don't think that's the way I'd want to go.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All it takes is one person one time, no matter how rural. You don't know who was in that spot 1 minute before you got there. In addition, unless you were tested that morning, you don't know if you have it or are an asymptomatic carrier. I can give you lots of examples of small town/rural places hit hard. So stop rationalizing why you don't have to wear one, and just do it. Set an example for your neighbors.

Actually, I do know because I take my time when shopping and make the effort to be aware of my surroundings and avoid people. I make a list and know where the products I need are located before I enter a store because I shop stores I am familiar with. It isn't that hard to avoid people if you choose the proper time and don't live in such a crowded area.
The point here is NOT to suggest that masks are not important (or fail to help) it is that staying (sheltering) at home is a superior alternative to avoiding exposure. Avoid crowds, stay home, shop during slow periods - these pieces of advice have been too quickly discarded in favor of placing too much dependance on the protection level offered by a mask.

Stay home - that has the largest impact. That message has been lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.