• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Travelers Are About to Be Pariahs in This New World

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
American tourists stand out in Europe by the way we dress, talk and our altitudes. IMO. One example look at the shoes American tourists are wearing than look at the shoes an average European are wearing. IMHO.
I couldn't agree more... another deal giveaway are the baseball caps !!!!! I have found footwear, boots especially are very well made here and wear like iron.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
So fess up @mav - when you travel to Bavaria, do you don the local attire? :cool:

2C7F01CE00000578-3241059-image-m-89_1442664150135.jpg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This dress is for a festival. That we still do not understand local custom.
If an American would dress liked this, you would be given the key to the City and all the free beer you can drink IMO. LOL

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
If an American would dress liked this, you would be given the key to the City and all the free beer you can drink IMO. LOL

Hmmmmmmm...

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It looks like there won't be any "ugly Americans" in Europe anytime soon.

The European Union plans to ban travel from the US when it reopens its borders on July 1st. Under current plans, the US would join Brazil and Russia on the list of forbidden countries, as all three countries have had comparably poor responses to the virus since the worldwide outbreak at the beginning of the year.
-- Source: New York Times & CNN

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I'm in.

BagsArePacked

TUG Member
Reaction score

The European Union plans to ban travel from the US when it reopens its borders on July 1st. Under current plans, the US would join Brazil and Russia on the list of forbidden countries, as all three countries have had comparably poor responses to the virus since the worldwide outbreak at the beginning of the year.
Sob....
And more countries may agree with that conclusion. I can't say I blame them. We aren't doing very well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Throw in a few others. But it is ever changing. Wonder if the US will go tit for tat?

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that you have this backwards. We have had a travel ban from Europe since early March that has yet to be lifted.
At this time. Now that Europe is opening up things are changing. US may not like being blocked with Brazil Russia in a few others.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY

I suspect this will occur and don't blame the EU. If US citizens are banned from Europe.
It'd be great if RCI will be so gracious as to redepsit the TPUs we've used for our Royal Regency exchange that begins 9/12? And for any other US member who has an exchange to a t/s resort in Europe through the end of 2020! I know I can purchase "insurance" from RCI up to a week before the trade begins, but I sure would like to save the premium since the trading fee is not covered.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
That is okay by me if Europe doesn't want us to come for a while. I can wait another 22 months or so to plan another Mediteranean cruise. Just got our refund today for the one we were supposed to take on 4/19. Norwegian just took forever to give our money back. I am not scheduling another one just to have it cancelled for next year. My DIL is quite the opposite. She is anxious to take the cruise. I would love to go with them, but two years is fine.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am trying to plan travel for 2021 just so I have something on the books before everything gets taken using MVC DPs and SOs. I am not sure which destinations are travel friendly for US citizens. Even Hawaii has a 14 day quarantine until July 31 with no end in sight yet.

We are supposed to go to Cayman Islands for Thanksgiving but their airport is closed until Sept 1 with no plans to reopen this year. That is booked through an II exchange. I have 1 more eplus but the week expires on Nov 21, 2020 so I have no place to exchange it to this year before then. I hope II gives me an extension if Cayman stays closes.

So far, I am thinking of sticking with mainland USA, Hawaii in 2021 (assuming it opens up later this year) and US Virgin Islands for 2021. It seems like USVI has started to open without quarantine or testing. Also the Bahamas is supposed to open up in July and that might be a US friendly destination using SOs or for my Tradewinds cruise in 2022. Other than Cayman for Thanksgiving, I have no travel on the books right now. I suspect Cayman will be canceled.

Fiji Air finally agreed to give me a refund for the air since that May 2020 trip got canceled due to Covid. Now I am trying to figure out where we can go with Tradewinds in 2022. I gave up on 2021 since things are so uncertain now for cruises and sailing vacations. All the ports are closed to cruising and Tradewinds is considered a yacht, which is not allowed into port right now. I hope the world will be back to normal in 2022 and we can take our Tradewinds sailing vacation that I have been planning since 2019! I am torn between rebooking Tradewinds for either Fiji or the Exumas/Bahamas in July 2022. Any thoughts on these destinations for 2022?

I am interested in getting input from my fellow Tuggers as to what destinations are open right now and do not have a quarantine or testing, or where the testing is reasonable. I am okay with testing before I travel if the guidelines are realistic.

Along with Hawaii and US Virgin Islands, the other MVC destinations I am considering for 2021 are Aruba and St Kitts but I have no idea what their Covid restrictions are.

Besides traveling in the mainland USA, where else can we go right now? What do you think is reasonable to plan for 2021?

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Port
I am trying to plan travel for 2021 just so I have something on the books before everything gets taken using MVC DPs and SOs. I am not sure which destinations are travel friendly for US citizens. Even Hawaii has a 14 day quarantine until July 31 with no end in sight yet.

We are supposed to go to Cayman Islands for Thanksgiving but their airport is closed until Sept 1 with no plans to reopen this year. That is booked through an II exchange. I have 1 more eplus but the week expires on Nov 21, 2020 so I have no place to exchange it to this year before then. I hope II gives me an extension if Cayman stays closes.

So far, I am thinking of sticking with mainland USA, Hawaii in 2021 (assuming it opens up later this year) and US Virgin Islands for 2021. It seems like USVI has started to open without quarantine or testing. Also the Bahamas is supposed to open up in July and that might be a US friendly destination using SOs or for my Tradewinds cruise in 2022. Other than Cayman for Thanksgiving, I have no travel on the books right now. I suspect Cayman will be canceled.

Fiji Air finally agreed to give me a refund for the air since that May 2020 trip got canceled due to Covid. Now I am trying to figure out where we can go with Tradewinds in 2022. I gave up on 2021 since things are so uncertain now for cruises and sailing vacations. All the ports are closed to cruising and Tradewinds is considered a yacht, which is not allowed into port right now. I hope the world will be back to normal in 2022 and we can take our Tradewinds sailing vacation that I have been planning since 2019! I am torn between rebooking Tradewinds for either Fiji or the Exumas/Bahamas in July 2022. Any thoughts on these destinations for 2022?

I am interested in getting input from my fellow Tuggers as to what destinations are open right now and do not have a quarantine or testing, or where the testing is reasonable. I am okay with testing before I travel if the guidelines are realistic.

Along with Hawaii and US Virgin Islands, the other MVC destinations I am considering for 2021 are Aruba and St Kitts but I have no idea what their Covid restrictions are.

Besides traveling in the mainland USA, where else can we go right now? What do you think is reasonable to plan for 2021?
Portugal is open without quarntine. Check this site which is updated.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score

It appears the EU hasn't formally made a decision but it is being discussed as an option. If it does go through , it will be reviewed every 2 weeks.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It appears the EU hasn't formally made a decision but it is being discussed as an option. If it does go through , it will be reviewed every 2 weeks.

The EU has not liked the USA since 2016. Now they have a real reason to ban us. In one of my professional associations, they were supposed to hold a conference in Washington DC in 2017. They canceled it when the USA started blocking middle eastern citizens from coming into the US (remember that fiasco?). Since then, they have held all their annual conferences in Europe. The group has banned holding conferences in the USA entirely. This year, they had to hold their conference virtually due to Covid but is was based on the European time zone so it was from 12 midnight to 8 am PST live and they recorded all the sessions so we can view the conference on our own time. I started to watch one workshop but it is nothing like being there in person. Online workshops are great for up to 1 hour at a time. Then video fatigue sets in.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I feel bad for people who had travel plans in other countries but honestly I would rather vacation in the USA and support our economy and small businesses that have suffered with this lockdown.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well the cruise industry is hit again, Americans cannot do any transatlantic cruises to Europe or any European cruises.

European cruise ships cannot sail to the United States.

Also, the airlines industry are hit both ways Americans cannot travel to Europe and European cannot travel to the United States.

Maybe, the American airlines industry will reduce domestic tickets costs in the forty eight states . Hawaii does want American flying to their Island and Alaska does not want cruise ships sailing to Alaska. LOL

Maybe, Southwest Airlines & United will reduce ticket cost and fly more direct routes in the forty eight(48) states of the United States. LOL

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
The EU has not liked the USA since 2016. Now they have a real reason to ban us. In one of my professional associations, they were supposed to hold a conference in Washington DC in 2017. They canceled it when the USA started blocking middle eastern citizens from coming into the US (remember that fiasco?). Since then, they have held all their annual conferences in Europe. The group has banned holding conferences in the USA entirely. This year, they had to hold their conference virtually due to Covid but is was based on the European time zone so it was from 12 midnight to 8 am PST live and they recorded all the sessions so we can view the conference on our own time. I started to watch one workshop but it is nothing like being there in person. Online workshops are great for up to 1 hour at a time. Then video fatigue sets in.
I wonder if its political. Living over here has certainly been positive overall but yet there are always some people that hold resentment towards Americans. I often find people who dont even know me , pre judging me. I'm quick to respond that I chose this country to retire and enjoy helping the local economy out with my purchases and every day life. I'm hearing each EU country will decide on it's own who they accept into their borders.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I wonder if its political. Living over here has certainly been positive overall but yet there are always some people that hold resentment towards Americans. I often find people who dont even know me , pre judging me. I'm quick to respond that I chose this country to retire and enjoy helping the local economy out with my purchases and every day life. I'm hearing each EU country will decide on it's own who they accept into their borders.

My brother travelled internationally all his life for his job (and he was high level) and always said most places he had been the people dislike Americans in general. He was all over Europe, China, Australia, South Africa, etc.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY

I tend to agree with you.

Of course not all Europeans are disdainful of US visitors, but the stereotype of the Ugly American was in place long before 2016. In our 12 trips to the continent only 2 incidents "stick in my craw"- in a Zermatt hotel my DH and I were confused with an other American couple who'd been complaining at the front desk about some issue and we were treated very rudely and not even an apology after the clerk realized we were not that couple. The other incident was deserved and occurred at Stansted airport when DH was leading me and 4 friends and loudly pointing the way to Ryanair's check-in counter- we got the stink-eye for that one!

We do try to speak the language of the country we are visiting, but I must say Portuguese has eluded me!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you.

Of course not all Europeans are disdainful of US visitors, but the stereotype of the Ugly American was in place long before 2016. In our 12 trips to the continent only 2 incidents "stick in my craw"- in a Zermatt hotel my DH and I were confused with an other American couple who'd been complaining at the front desk about some issue and we were treated very rudely and not even an apology after the clerk realized we were not that couple. The other incident was deserved and occurred at Stansted airport when DH was leading me and 4 friends and loudly pointing the way to Ryanair's check-in counter- we got the stink-eye for that one!

We do try to speak the language of the country we are visiting, but I must say Portuguese has eluded me!
Me too and I took years of lessons..private too...just didn't stick !! I know many words ...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... Just got our refund today for the [cruise] we were supposed to take on 4/19. Norwegian just took forever to give our money back...

Congrats!
We're still waiting on a refund for a 5/23 cruise on Holland America.
... I aint' holding my breath.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score

From what is happening here, each country within the EU may decide on it's own which countries they accept. There's discussion about air bridges that will be updated as numbers fall or go up.