• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scary HGVC Property Tax Bill

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I got this bill from NY Dept of Finance yesterday (with due date 7/1) for outstanding and current property tax bill. I attached the bill but the amount is $103,107.21 before July 1st and $204,696.80 after. From what I can surmise, this is the (quarterly?) property tax from one of the units at The Residences at midtown Hilton. My resale purchase for 1BR gold (8700 points) there just went through and I think the government entity mistakenly attributed the entire unit to me rather than the 0.15% fractional ownership.

It’s obviously a mistake, but disconcerting nonetheless. I envision having to call and go through a beaurocratic hassle to get rid of this. Any suggestions?

Sean

Attachments

• 7715B752-86FB-4115-BECB-0AAAC696E5DF.jpeg
    7715B752-86FB-4115-BECB-0AAAC696E5DF.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 141
  • A9722468-7C9F-44A0-8764-FF0F0E25D802.jpeg
    A9722468-7C9F-44A0-8764-FF0F0E25D802.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 142

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I got this bill from NY Dept of Finance yesterday (with due date 7/1) for outstanding and current property tax bill. I attached the bill but the amount is $103,107.21 before July 1st and $204,696.80 after. From what I can surmise, this is the (quarterly?) property tax from one of the units at The Residences at midtown Hilton. My resale purchase for 1BR gold (8700 points) there just went through and I think the government entity mistakenly attributed the entire unit to me rather than the 0.15% fractional ownership.

It’s obviously a mistake, but disconcerting nonetheless. I envision having to call and go through a beaurocratic hassle to get rid of this. Any suggestions?

Sean

Now it obviously is a mistake, it is NOT your bill. However, the before and after July 1 may be revealing a real tax increase that this property has coming. It is almost double and because of the Coronavirus costs and reduced revenue to New York City perhaps it is accurate for the entire building for the entire year!

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Now it obviously is a mistake, it is NOT your bill. However, the before and after July 1 may be revealing a real tax increase that this property has coming. It is almost double and because of the Coronavirus costs and reduced revenue to New York City perhaps it is accurate for the entire building for the entire year!

Were the taxes on your week last year about $155 for your week?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got this bill from NY Dept of Finance yesterday (with due date 7/1) for outstanding and current property tax bill. I attached the bill but the amount is $103,107.21 before July 1st and $204,696.80 after. From what I can surmise, this is the (quarterly?) property tax from one of the units at The Residences at midtown Hilton. M

Glad we own at W. 57th. Our part of the property taxes is somewhat less :D

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yikes. That is scary. It definitely is in error. Check in with HGVC because someone put your name on this. Hope it is not a hassle to correct.

Speaking of high NYC prices. Did you hear about the full ownership condo down the street from W57 that was taken over by the SEC after embezzlement charges (1MDB) and they sold for for $15 million? The HOA ROFRed the unit from the buyer because they thought it was worth $35 - $40 million. Must be some high rollers in that building to come up with $15 million. Can you imagine the property taxes on that unit?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not an uncommon occurrence in NYC. One year I was billed the property tax for my entire building - not just my unit.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Now that I think about it, there was some irregularity with the NYC filing our first deed. I believe it never got recorded. HGVC contacted us to refile it. No issues since.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Ask 'em if you can put it on a credit card.
It'll net you a heck of a lot of travel points.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
I was getting their water bill and other stuff for a while, I contacted the manager at W57th and they fixed it. The issue is the recording of the deed was not done properly and your name is associated with the master account. Everyone voted and decided you should probably pay it and save us a bit on our annual MF though.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
One of the newest owners gets to pick up the tax bill each year.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I wonder if you could challenge the assessment by showing how much you actually paid for the property. Their market value is a tad high.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Sean

I just thought of something. I don't get a real estate tax bill for any of my timeshares that I own in Miami Beach, Orlando and Las Vegas. The Timeshare Board and Managing Agent deals with paying the real estate taxes. Owners are then billed for their share of the bill by the Managing Agent.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I just thought of something. I don't get a real estate tax bill for any of my timeshares that I own in Miami Beach, Orlando and Las Vegas. The Timeshare Board and Managing Agent deals with paying the real estate taxes. Owners are then billed for their share of the bill by the Managing Agent.
Yes - TS owner proportion of taxes should be rolled into the yearly MF. I’ve owned some version of HGVC in NYC (W57 and/or HCNY) for 10 years and never received a separate property tax bill. That’s why this bill was startling. I will first call HGVC this week. I really don’t want to have to go through the NY Finance Dept - I envision it being like any DMV but on steroids :LOL:.

Sean

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton Vacation Club executed and recorded a timeshare deed reflecting your purchase of your vacation ownership interest. It was handled by First American Title through simplifile.

The NYC tax website shows the entire 2020/21 city tax has been paid. In NYC, the tax bill is due by July 1. The tax is paid for the entire year. The tax figures are comparable with the last few years. That is all good news.

My question is how and from whom you received these papers. The tax bill shown on the NYC website is not in your name Were these papers mailed to you by the NYC Department of Finance or Hilton Resorts or someone else. Was there a cover letter or explanation as to why there were being sent to you?

Dealing with NYC will frustrate you to no end and accomplish nothing. The answers will have to come from Hilton or First American Title.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
Hilton Vacation Club executed and recorded a timeshare deed reflecting your purchase of your vacation ownership interest. It was handled by First American Title through simplifile.

The NYC tax website shows the entire 2020/21 city tax has been paid. In NYC, the tax bill is due by July 1. The tax is paid for the entire year. The tax figures are comparable with the last few years. That is all good news.

My question is how and from whom you received these papers. The tax bill shown on the NYC website is not in your name Were these papers mailed to you by the NYC Department of Finance or Hilton Resorts or someone else. Was there a cover letter or explanation as to why there were being sent to you?

Dealing with NYC will frustrate you to no end and accomplish nothing. The answers will have to come from Hilton or First American Title.
It was mailed and addressed directly to me at my home address from NY Dept of Finance. With a return envelope for payment. Thanks for reminding me about the title company. I will contact them first!

Sean

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was mailed and addressed directly to me at my home address from NY Dept of Finance. With a return envelope for payment. Thanks for reminding me about the title company. I will contact them first!

Sean

Sean: I suggest that you send one email sent to all three parties: Hilton Vacation, First American Title & simplifile.com asking them to correct the name and address of the party to whom the tax bill is mailed from you to Hilton. Tell them you would like them to send you a copy of all of the ACRIS docs that accompanied the deed because it appears that one of those forms may be telling NYC to send the tax bill to you. In addition, tell them in that written email that you want the address corrected and confirmation that the correction has been processed.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was getting their water bill and other stuff for a while, I contacted the manager at W57th and they fixed it. The issue is the recording of the deed was not done properly and your name is associated with the master account. Everyone voted and decided you should probably pay it and save us a bit on our annual MF though.

Actually, I thought I read it somewhere in the Internet that owners voted doing a round robin in paying the property tax. I think it was just there time to pay it for this year.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I sent info to my closing company and they contacted NYC Dept of Finance today. It will be reviewed and I have a case number. It can take up to 21 days for review. I love bureaucracy! :wall:

Sean

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Since NYC thinks you own the building, here's what you do:
Walk in, tell staff they work for you now, and ask for the keys.
Say you'll be living in the penthouse. Fire anyone who disagrees.