• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Malta/Solana Hotel Mellieha

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...been looking ahead to 2021. Came across this property. Has anyone ever stayed or familiar with it ? Many thanks.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with that hotel, but yes with the location/town because that's where our exchange was in 2008 - which I wouldn't choose again. Instead I would choose Valletta for location, or very close to, unless you want something right on a beach.

Have you been to Malta? I guess it depends on what you plan to do and how you want to get around. We hated driving in Malta, about as much as inner-city Italy - it was so nerve-wracking that for a few days, we left our rental car in the timeshare garage (where it got badly scratched by a hit-and-run), and used the bus instead. Bus service was decent and inexpensive, but slow from Mellieha because everything connected thru Valletta. I suppose some travelers use taxis, we don't ever. Mellieha is fairly close to the Gozo ferry, was one good point.

It's a very interesting country - especially prehistory and goddess culture - and I'm so glad we went. Highlight was the Hypogeum, older than the pyramids, which you have to reserve way in advance, or did in 2008.

One of my favorite travel stories ever happened in Malta - it's long, and I may come back to share it.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with that hotel, but yes with the location/town because that's where our exchange was in 2008 - which I wouldn't choose again. Instead I would choose Valletta for location, or very close to, unless you want something right on a beach.

Have you been to Malta? I guess it depends on what you plan to do and how you want to get around. We hated driving in Malta, about as much as inner-city Italy - it was so nerve-wracking that for a few days, we left our rental car in the timeshare garage (where it got badly scratched by a hit-and-run), and used the bus instead. Bus service was decent and inexpensive, but slow from Mellieha because everything connected thru Valletta. I suppose some travelers use taxis, we don't ever. Mellieha is fairly close to the Gozo ferry, was one good point.

It's a very interesting country - especially prehistory and goddess culture - and I'm so glad we went. Highlight was the Hypogeum, older than the pyramids, which you have to reserve way in advance, or did in 2008.

One of my favorite travel stories ever happened in Malta - it's long, and I may come back to share it.
Hi Laurie ! Thx for your input.. no I've never been to Malta but we enjoy history and thought it might be something for next year.. saw Radisson Golden sands too so I'm just researching and getting an idea. We would probably be doing more guided tours in a small group scale to see the sights. ‍

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Laurie ! Thx for your input.. no I've never been to Malta but we enjoy history and thought it might be something for next year.. saw Radisson Golden sands too so I'm just researching and getting an idea. We would probably be doing more guided tours in a small group scale to see the sights. ‍
Got it! In that case I would personally choose Golden Sands for its beach, and only if they'd be likely to have all the small-group tours you'd like. But Mellieha may be more convenient for that, and also if you like more restaurants choices within walking distance. I don't recall that the Maltese cuisine was among our favorites - lots of rabbit dishes.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thx for all the info... not a big rabbit eater...lolol... good to know. It's been in my radar for a long time. Looks interesting and then theres Gozo... so I'll see what I can pull.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thx for all the info... not a big rabbit eater...lolol... good to know. It's been in my radar for a long time. Looks interesting and then theres Gozo... so I'll see what I can pull.
One more thing occurs to me - our trip was pre-GPS, so part of our driving problem was lack of street signs with names or route #'s when trying to navigate w/ paper map (coupled with reckless aggressive drivers, + driving on the left). Now that we use travel wifi + phone GPS, a rental car would probably be less headache on that count.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing occurs to me - our trip was pre-GPS, so part of our driving problem was lack of street signs with names or route #'s when trying to navigate w/ paper map (coupled with reckless aggressive drivers, + driving on the left). Now that we use travel wifi + phone GPS, a rental car would probably be less headache on that count.
As I get older, I rather leave the driving to someone else. I'm content to look out the window or be a co pilot!!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Malta again!!! Anyone book a 2 bed at Golden Sands ?? I cant seem to find any pix. Just the 1 BR. Thinking of Dec 2021 .

shorep

Reaction score
Golden sands is a very nice place to stay, bus service to and from Valletta,and other towns, near the Gozo ferry port, nice beach and plenty of walks, horse riding, food in hotel is very good.This place costs £100+ a night for normal guests, we have used exchange from RCI a few times, indoor&outdoor pools.

shorep

Reaction score
You can have a guided tour in a limo service with a knowledgeable local, many open top tour bus companies, harbour tours from Sliema,(nice shopping mall),local food is seafood, pasta,pizza/traditional english bacon&eggs,roast beef etc,local beer very light lager,3-5%,english spoken throughout the island, and cakes&pastries to die for, hot July&August.A ferry to Gozo island is a few dollars, but you need euros, this island has bus tours, the electrics are UK three pin or euro 2 pin, local bus is the way to get around, cheap and plenty of advice.Enjoy

Last edited: