• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New WM Policy on Reservations

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
No more multiple reservations for same days beyond number of owners (i.e. max 2) without guest certificate being assigned within 48 hours of booking and no changes to the guest certificate thereafter (that's the real kicker). If guest name not provided within 48 hours Reservation is cancelled. Within 14 days, need immediate guest certificate assignment. Implementing January 2021 unless they decide to do it earlier.

This really only causes problems for people making multiple Reservations starting the same day/resort. Problems for people planning Family Reunions. You have to be certain who is coming because you can not change the name on the GC.

The WM BOD still has not done anything for cancellations by WM because of Covid19 that cost loss of GC.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Do you think this is an attempt by WM to reduce the Mega Renters hogging all the good places?

Dave

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I'm glad my WM ownership isn't terribly large. We used to use it for family gatherings, booking 4 or more units, over holidays ... but those days are over. Sadly, WM is no longer a good fit for our family purposes. Rather. our points are now for "household" travel with rare exception. It is sad ... but it mirrors the world's perspective of "me, me, me" with disregard for family.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Do you think this is an attempt by WM to reduce the Mega Renters hogging all the good places?

Dave
Probably that's the excuse but personal use owners are also going to be negatively impacted. Particularly if you bought WM for the flexibility instead of using it as a traditional week long timeshare.

Not allowing guest certificates on high demand 13 month reservations would have been more appropriate. But since that would reduce GC revenue that indirectly accrues to Wyndham, it was probably not considered.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)

Dave

I do. I’m pretty sure it’s been this way for Wyndham for awhile.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I actually like the rule. It should significantly cut down the number of speculative reservations.

Since people can still rent out a reservation booked at 13 months, I don't think we are going to see much of a change in competition for high demand weeks. I think Wyndham wants people to rent out units so they can earn the GC fees and have a shot at scamming the guests into buying a timeshare. I feel it is not in Wyndham's best interest to prevent rentals of high demand weeks. I would personally like to see no name changes on a reservation booked > 12 months out or a booking triggered from a waitlist placed > 12 months out. Owners can put a guest name on it 12 months out but no changes later on. If a week has an outstanding waitlist, then GC cannot be placed on that week. That will ensure high demand weeks are mostly for personal use of owners. With a rule like that, speculative bookings for personal use are allowed but cannot be effectively rented out since most people don't plan vacations 13 months out. This can actually benefit owners who don't book at 13 months out. Let's say I make two reservations for a holiday week and I decide to cancel one when my plans are confirmed six months out. Somebody who is looking only six months out can get that reservation. Yes, a mega renter can also get that week using their waitlist, but the "no GC on a waitlisted week" restriction should prevent them from renting out that week. Under the current scenario where they allow guest certificates until the day of check-in for reservations booked at 13 months then the person looking at 6 months out has no chance of getting that booking.

GCs should be allowed on low demand weeks. But the low demand weeks have a low chance of being rented out, so that will hurt Wyndham with lower GC revenue and fewer sales prospects. So Wyndham has not put together a policy that will effectively restrict renting to low demand weeks. With the current policy, the mega renter will lose very little but regular owners are going to lose a lot. Wyndham is the only undisputed winner.

Yes. There a few holes in my theory but it fits my worldview so I'm gonna stick with it :)

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Disney is so much better than all of the Wyndham-managed "clubs." Wyndham is greedy. Sadly, Shell is even with Wyndham, so I expect changes like this for Shell.

I am not a mega renter of Worldmark, but I am definitely a person who will not waste credits each year, so I rent a couple annually.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had heard this rumored on facebook but I never trust facebook for information. I am with ski sierra that if they want to cut down on mega renters guest names need to be put on immediately and no changes after. I have suggested that before and I know some don't like it. I find it hard to believe that most people could not figure out which relative is the most likely not to cancel. I am hoping that this does make hard to get reservations easier. Time will tell if it is just a money grab or an actual plan to help.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
if they want to cut down on mega renters guest names need to be put on immediately and no changes after. I have suggested that before and I know some don't like it. I find it hard to believe that most people could not figure out which relative is the most likely not to cancel.
I think many of them are mega renters in disguise so they come up with new reasons why it should not be done that way.

I am hoping that this does make hard to get reservations easier. Time will tell if it is just a money grab or an actual plan to help.
Yeah.. let's hope the high demand weeks last a little longer, maybe until 6:01 am until we have time to do the captcha.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
But how does one distinguish between renters and family?

Our typical reservations, before Guest Certs became an issue:
* High Demand period: New Years
* High Demand unit: 4BR Presidential unit (just one)
* Other units: a mix of studio and 2BR units

We often ended up with 4 units but, sometimes, weren't sure if a particular young couple could, more than a full year out, take a studio ... or if, by then, they might need a larger unit. There were many valid reasons why we might need to change the reservations before the travel dates: new additions to the family, young adults blocked by work commitments, etc. We booked units on speculation and then settled it all out closer to the actual travel dates.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
But how does one distinguish between renters and family?

Our typical reservations, before Guest Certs became an issue:
* High Demand period: New Years
* High Demand unit: 4BR Presidential unit (just one)
* Other units: a mix of studio and 2BR units

We often ended up with 4 units but, sometimes, weren't sure if a particular young couple could, more than a full year out, take a studio ... or if, by then, they might need a larger unit. There were many valid reasons why we might need to change the reservations before the travel dates: new additions to the family, young adults blocked by work commitments, etc. We booked units on speculation and then settled it all out closer to the actual travel dates.

Under new guidelines, ask another owner on TUG or WMO to hold a reservation until closer to check-in? I plan to do that when the new rules kick-in.

I'm not sure why Wyndham doesn't allow an owner to check-in to mulitple units. Perhaps some were booking the whole resort? I think the more likely reason is money grab from people doing family reunions such as yourself. HGVC allows an owner to check-in to multiple units but they don't allow renting so they have no mega renter issues.

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Disney is so much better than all of the Wyndham-managed "clubs." Wyndham is greedy. Sadly, Shell is even with Wyndham, so I expect changes like this for Shell.

I am not a mega renter of Worldmark, but I am definitely a person who will not waste credits each year, so I rent a couple annually.

I find it the opposite. You can stay in a cramped DVC studio or a 2 bedroom deluxe at Bonnet Creek for the same price. Wyndham is deceitfully greedy, but Disney takes the cake on overcharging. Only the upper middle class if FL can actually afford to go there. Median Florida household income is 55k, so only 40% of Floridians can actually afford the $2,000+ annual pass cost.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you got this information. I called and Worldmark does not know anything about it. BOD has not made any announcements regarding this.

I called and the only thing they said is that it is recommended to add the GC 48 hours before checking in due to COVID-19.

Anything in writing on the website you can quote @geist1223

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
No more multiple reservations for same days beyond number of owners (i.e. max 2) without guest certificate being assigned within 48 hours of booking and no changes to the guest certificate thereafter (that's the real kicker). If guest name not provided within 48 hours Reservation is cancelled. Within 14 days, need immediate guest certificate assignment. Implementing January 2021 unless they decide to do it earlier.

I also would like to know what the source of this information is.

Assuming this policy goes into effect, what about overlapping reservations? For example, could an account with two owners make two reservations for January 1-8, 2022 and two for January 2-9, 2022?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
It is in the Board Minutes. The actual page from the Board Minutes is Posted on wmowners.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
Absolutely! Owners first is Wyndham's policy as of today.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also would like to know what the source of this information is.

Assuming this policy goes into effect, what about overlapping reservations? For example, could an account with two owners make two reservations for January 1-8, 2022 and two for January 2-9, 2022?
This is the meat of the text from the March 23, 2020 Board meeting minutes:

The proposed guideline requires a guest name to be assigned to reservations held for the same time period beyond the number of owners on the account, and that the name be added within 48 hours of booking or it would be subject to cancellation. Reservations booked within 14 days of check in would require the guest name be added at the time of booking or be subject to cancellation. Guest names may not be modified after check-in and the guest listed on the reservation must be present at check-in and occupy the unit. The board discussed the resources currently directed to COVID-19 and suggested implementation of the new guideline be January 1, 2021 agreeing that an earlier rollout may be agreed upon by the board.

The new Guideline is vague on overlapping reservations, "... reservations held for the same time period."

The new Guideline has not taken effect, so things may change.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
No more multiple reservations for same days beyond number of owners (i.e. max 2) without guest certificate being assigned within 48 hours of booking and no changes to the guest certificate thereafter (that's the real kicker).
I do not read anything in the new Guideline about not being able to change the name on a guest reservation. The only limitation is that the name cannot be changed after check-in.

"Guest names may not be modified after check-in"

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I do not read anything in the new Guideline about not being able to change the name on a guest reservation. The only limitation is that the name cannot be changed after check-in.

"Guest names may not be modified after check-in"

Once they've checked in it doesn't really matter. I've never heard of someone being asked to verify their identity when checking out.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once they've checked in it doesn't really matter. I've never heard of someone being asked to verify their identity when checking out.
I am guessing that this part of the rule is directed at the practice of reserving a unit for the entire summer, renting it out in blocks, then checking different guests in for each block.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
So there’s a possibility of getting Yellowstone now, not in the middle of Winter?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
So there’s a possibility of getting Yellowstone now, not in the middle of Winter?
If the guest name may be changed, then no, because the profit margin of West Yellowstone rentals can easily absorb the additional $99 to change the name.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Wyndham wants people to rent out units so they can earn the GC fees and have a shot at scamming the guests into buying a timeshare. I feel it is not in Wyndham's best interest to prevent rentals of high demand weeks.
There was similar thinking a few years ago and why that meant Wyndham would never disrupt the cancel/rebook scheme that was the bread and butter for Club Wyndham rentals.

Things turned out differently.

I remember reading something about it being easier to upgrade an existing owner than trying to sell to a non-owner. If it is easier for owners to book high demand locations, it might be easier to sell the idea of increasing the owner's credits.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
There was similar thinking a few years ago and why that meant Wyndham would never disrupt the cancel/rebook scheme that was the bread and butter for Club Wyndham rentals.

Things turned out differently.

I remember reading something about it being easier to upgrade an existing owner than trying to sell to a non-owner. If it is easier for owners to book high demand locations, it might be easier to sell the idea of increasing the owner's credits.

I'm not sure I understand what Wyndham was thinking when the pushed this guideline. What do you think this guideline will accomplish? What is the true intent vs. advertised intent of the policy?