• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham furloughed most of their staff during the closure and the majority of them at Bonnet Creek are still furloughed.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Club Wyndham furloughed most of their staff without pay during the closure even though our maintenance fees that we all continued to pay is supposed to cover their wages. There are 3 parts to everyone's dues: maintenance, reserve fund and taxes. Maintenance covers wages, utilities, housekeeping and ground upkeep. Apparently during a pandemic they just use the money for wages to cover lack of sales revenue to keep profit and stock value up. I just want everyone on here to know.

Also they arent doing $100 Amex anymore, which is understandable. If you can spare it and are staying in FL this summer, please tip your housekeeper and leave a note in Spanish and English letting them know you appreciate the hard work they do. The FL unemployment system is super broken and some of these people haven't received a dime in 2 months.

Last edited:

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Bonnet Creek has an HOA, which receives the 2020 MFs that’s collected by WD - the publicly traded corporation.

WD collects from each HOA a management fee based upon an agreed upon rate, IT / computer reservation system allocated charges, self insurance fees if that HOA “participates” in the program and perhaps a few other fees not significant enough to be listed separately in the footnotes of their public financial statements.

WD collects the program fee on externally owned CWA/CWS/PR points from us - the owners. This is supposed to support the owner web site, the vacation counselors’ salaries, etc.

Please be very careful in your “observation” above what salary costs that WD might make a profit on because of employee furloughs. You need to know which resort employees are part of the corporate WD vs employed by the respective HOA.

Are the Bonnet Creek staff all employed by WD or are some employed by WD and others by the respective HOA?

Perhaps WD collects a “mark up” on the all in cost of the employees supplied to each HOA - if those employees aren’t being paid directly by the HOA. If WD supplied the employees that are on furlough, WD is not entitled to the mark up from the HOA.

I’d expect that the sales staff at each resort would be WD employees. If the resorts were closed for 2+ months, there would be no need for the sales staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Bonnet Creek has an HOA, which receives the 2020 MFs that’s collected by WD - the publicly traded corporation.

WD collects from each HOA a management fee based upon an agreed upon rate, IT / computer reservation system allocated charges, self insurance fees if that HOA “participates” in the program and perhaps a few other fees not significant enough to be listed separately in the footnotes of their public financial statements.

WD collects the program fee on externally owned CWA/CWS/PR points from us - the owners. This is supposed to support the owner web site, the vacation counselors’ salaries, etc.

Please be very careful in your “observation” above what salary costs that WD might make a profit on because of employee furloughs. You need to know which resort employees are part of the corporate WD vs employed by the respective HOA.

Are the Bonnet Creek staff all employed by WD or are some employed by WD and others by the respective HOA?

Perhaps WD collects a “mark up” on the all in cost of the employees supplied to each HOA - if those employees aren’t being paid directly by the HOA. If WD supplied the employees that are on furlough, WD is not entitled to the mark up from the HOA.

I’d expect that the sales staff at each resort would be WD employees. If the resorts were closed for 2+ months, there would be no need for the sales staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't care less if they didn't pay sales. I figured those employees are paid from sales revenue. I was talking about mainly housekeeping and front desk employees. Those employees are essential to running a resort. I know DVC had their annual dues go up a lot in the past year because they are paying employees a livable wage now. I'm pretty sure our maintenance fees are supposed to cover all costs required to maintain a property, including the staff.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually housekeeping is contract out therefore they are not Wyndham employees, whereas maintenance personal are employees.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Christmas mountain furloughed many many employees and let the grass grow high, the accountant told me her first day back was May 26. They kept the resort open, but just recently opened the indoor pool and not the fitness room or the other pools.

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I couldn't care less if they didn't pay sales. I figured those employees are paid from sales revenue. I was talking about mainly housekeeping and front desk employees. Those employees are essential to running a resort. I know DVC had their annual dues go up a lot in the past year because they are paying employees a livable wage now. I'm pretty sure our maintenance fees are supposed to cover all costs required to maintain a property, including the staff.

You’re making a statement without knowing whose employees the housekeeping, front desk and maintenance staff are employed by ....

If those are BC HOA employees, when they get furloughed they aren’t being paid by either the BC HOA or by WD. They will eventually receive unemployment, but for the state issue of non-payment you’ve raised.

But WD the corporation isn’t saving any money on them whatsoever if they aren’t WD’s employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
So then what about all of our MF dollars that go towards housekeeping. Where is it going to go then, if not to the housekeeping staff?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
That came from the sales hub. Not sure if their lips were moving....

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Sorry, none of this sits well with me. Maintenance (including scheduled/planned rebursing) should already have been accounted for.

Please don't take my maintenance fees, not let me use the resorts, and use my money for additional maintenance? Huh? If there's extra money because we're still paying, reduce our maintenance fees? Every year a tower or two at Bonnet Creek is refurbursed. Already planned for. Please, Wyndham, don't spend my money like it's burning a hole in your pocket.

To add insult to injury, Wyndham is advertising about how they are super-training the employees to clean better and more thoroughly, however we're hearing most are furloughed? How's that working?

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Sorry, none of this sits well with me. Maintenance (including scheduled/planned rebursing) should already have been accounted for.

Please don't take my maintenance fees, not let me use the resorts, and use my money for additional maintenance? Huh? If there's extra money because we're still paying, reduce our maintenance fees? Every year a tower or two at Bonnet Creek is refurbursed. Already planned for. Please, Wyndham, don't spend my money like it's burning a hole in your pocket.

To add insult to injury, Wyndham is advertising about how they are super-training the employees to clean better and more thoroughly, however we're hearing most are furloughed? How's that working?

They were probably furloughed after they were trained. I don't think anyone planned on this going for so long. The plan was probably to keep them on the payroll, train them, and reopen. Since this dragged on further than expected, they had to furlough some.

In many (possibly all) states, changing maintenance fees in the middle of the year is against the law, even to reduce them. I suspect the extra will go into the reserve fund. Or they are using the extra to get ahead on projects that were not slated for completion for a couple of years. In which case, they should not have to collect as much for the reserve fund next year. There may also be tax ramifications for the HOA having leftover money at the end of the year. I'm not a tax advisor so I cannot say for sure. If there were tax ramifications, they are probably trying to use up the extra, so they have nothing left over at the end of the year. I'm just spitballing. Again, I am not a tax advisor, so I cannot say with complete authority that this is the case.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet you 10-15% will not be re-hire IMHO.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
They were probably furloughed after they were trained. I don't think anyone planned on this going for so long. The plan was probably to keep them on the payroll, train them, and reopen. Since this dragged on further than expected, they had to furlough some.

In many (possibly all) states, changing maintenance fees in the middle of the year is against the law, even to reduce them. I suspect the extra will go into the reserve fund. Or they are using the extra to get ahead on projects that were not slated for completion for a couple of years. In which case, they should not have to collect as much for the reserve fund next year. There may also be tax ramifications for the HOA having leftover money at the end of the year. I'm not a tax advisor so I cannot say for sure. If there were tax ramifications, they are probably trying to use up the extra, so they have nothing left over at the end of the year. I'm just spitballing. Again, I am not a tax advisor, so I cannot say with complete authority that this is the case.
The pool attendants were struggling to figure out how to use the chair sanitizing machine when I first checked in so I doubt they gave much "training" other than a list of new procedures.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!

They are just finishing up refurbing tower 6. Tower 5 was finished over the closure.

Kingstown Reef Club Wyndham units should also open in Sept.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Florida, workers are earning $875 a week in unemployment benefits, $600 from the federal government and $275 from the state, or $21.87 an hour. Of course, they have to get through the state's unemployment system, which was designed to fail.

In any event, this is a lot more than what Wyndham pays to fold towels, which would motivate the company to furlough workers and slowly bring them back.

The federal $600 runs out July 31, unless they extend it, and then I would expect more of an effort to bring back workers if demand for travel is increasing.

When times are tough, the first rule for a business is to conserve cash, and cutting staff and salaries are the fastest way to do that.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
They are just finishing up refurbing tower 6. Tower 5 was finished over the closure.

Kingstown Reef Club Wyndham units should also open in Sept.
I don't understand - Tower 5 was refurbished last fall. It was beautiful and like brand new when we were there in February. They did something more to it in the past couple months?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Here are some pics to show how dead tower 5 is right now.

Attachments

• 20200603_220407.jpg
    20200603_220407.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200603_220343.jpg
    20200603_220343.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 27

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I don't understand - Tower 5 was refurbished last fall. It was beautiful and like brand new when we were there in February. They did something more to it in the past couple months?
Oh when I was here in sept they were still on T4.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
The pool attendants were struggling to figure out how to use the chair sanitizing machine when I first checked in so I doubt they gave much "training" other than a list of new procedures.

I’m not sure a couple pool attendants would be a good indicator of the quality of their training program. If you saw housekeeping struggling to use the new super sonic X-ray UV triple sanitizer Bazooka laser machine, then I might believe the quality of their training program was sub par. :)