• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Day Use

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
I've seen various threads on here discussing day use for owners. Is that a common thing? If so, is there a list of Resorts where this is allowed if you are an owner?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen various threads on here discussing day use for owners. Is that a common thing? If so, is there a list of Resorts where this is allowed if you are an owner?
I'm not sure there is a comprehensive list and I suspect it changes from time to time, esp if they GM changes. The ones that do limit the number and tend not to be available during the busiest time. I know historically HH, Orlando and CA resorts do in general. I've seen reports that Utah resorts do not but YMMV. I doubt HI or the Caribbean do but that's just a guess based on their situation. I would think that common sense would give you a good idea such as Branson & Williamsburg's likely, Boston, Beach Place, Crystal shores, likely not. It's always space available and generally limited to a few per day when allowed. There is a check in procedure that varies with the resort, usually at the front desk or spa desk. Parking is usually the lowest type available. Even then it's only at resorts you actually own at. As for how common, as a % of members I suspect it's very rare but for some I think it's quite common as it's going to be the same ones over and over again. Basically the ones that live in the area or someone staying at one resort who owns at another. Some use it much like they would a country club if they live in the area like HHI. Looking at other systems it varies from system to system for example, DVC never allows day use, Bluegreen does at some resorts, I'm not sure about Wyndham even though I own a small amount of points with them.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Desert resorts do not. Bransons Willow Ridge does.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
There have been lots of threads on this topic. Search and you will find a lot of lists. But as noted, you only get it if you own a week there.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been lots of threads on this topic. Search and you will find a lot of lists. But as noted, you only get it if you own a week there.
This is a little different, but where MVC resorts and Marriott hotels are co-located, for at least some the Marriott hotel may offer a limited number of day passes to the resort subject to occupancy levels.
So you wouldn’t need to be an owner in this case.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
I did. You can't search day use because the words are too short.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have been around TUG a long time, and I have never seen any such lists of resorts that offer day use and those that don't. Just lots of anecdotal information based on owner experience.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I did. You can't search day use because the words are too short.

Yep, happens every time I try to search for older related threads. Limit the search parameters to this Marriott forum and try "Day Pass usage" followed by the area/resort you're considering.

As others have said I don't think there's ever been an official list of resorts that allow Day Use, or even an unofficial list here on TUG. The governing docs for many/most of the resorts contain language that makes reference to it but even that isn't an indication of whether it's a practice at a particular resort. (Which is the result of the gov docs containing some standard language that references items which *may* - as opposed to *must* - be implemented, not the result of Marriott cheating owners out of anything that's rightly owed.) And where it is implemented, it's at the discretion of the resort's GM based on seasonal/daily occupancy limits and other factors.

We've taken advantage of it at both SurfWatch and Barony Beach. It's a great perk that I hope never goes away - and as long as those of us who can do it don't abuse it, there's no reason it should.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I know that the governing documents of Grande Vista allow for day use, but there is no current official policy that grants it. I asked about it a few years ago at an Annual Meeting and they mentioned there is no current day use policy, but they have provided it at certain times based on request. There were no plans to implement a broader day use policy.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We have used day passes at shadow ridge many times. They claim they limit capacity, but we've never been turned down, even at peak times.

Here are a few threads. (You can search using any words in google. Use site:tugbbs.com to limit your search results to TUG.) No definitive list, but many resorts referenced.

This includes a lot of non Marriotts:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shadow Ridge does, it's in the deeded governing documents. I though Desert Springs had it as well.

When I was there in Feb staying at Shadow Ridge, and wanted to use DSV, they told me no. Could be a newbie I suppose

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was there in Feb staying at Shadow Ridge, and wanted to use DSV, they told me no. Could be a newbie I suppose
Or possibly they weren't at the time. Most likely they just weren't informed. I'm assuming you own at DSV.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or possibly they weren't at the time. Most likely they just weren't informed. I'm assuming you own at DSV.

Yes, I am an owner. Bummed me out a bit. It may be the only time I'll have had a chance to actually use the benefit!

@davidvel - Shadow Ridge may indeed have it, forgot about that resort, was speaking of dsv.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am an owner. Bummed me out a bit. It may be the only time I'll have had a chance to actually use the benefit!

@davidvel - Shadow Ridge may indeed have it, forgot about that resort, was speaking of dsv.
I know they used to allow it there. If it were important maybe asking further would give different results. It would be unusual for one in the area to allow day use but not another unless there were some specific reason.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know they used to allow it there. If it were important maybe asking further would give different results. It would be unusual for one in the area to allow day use but not another unless there were some specific reason.

Yeah, usually I am persistent and get what I am supposed to get, but, was not sure if the resort had it or not, so didn't press. Feb is high season, could have been a reason, oh well. I'll live. If it ever happens again, I'll look into it further. Maybe I'll dig out the docs so I am informed at that time. It would be nice to have a central spot listing all known day use resorts.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, usually I am persistent and get what I am supposed to get, but, was not sure if the resort had it or not, so didn't press. Feb is high season, could have been a reason, oh well. I'll live. If it ever happens again, I'll look into it further. Maybe I'll dig out the docs so I am informed at that time. It would be nice to have a central spot listing all known day use resorts.
I've seen Grande Ocean limit it or not allow it during the busiest weeks and it's always space A. That's the one I have the most experience with. I always want to be kind but I dislike getting uninformed decisions so the call back and ask again or ask for a supervisor are common methods to handle such matters. Unfortunately the worker bees are often ill informed on such matters, which would be understandable for this issue, so if they are unaware, they'll assume it's not allowed.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
I realize this is a Marriott section, but since they own Hyatt I thought I could add this. Hyatt Coconut Plantation allows outside memberships to the resort.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize this is a Marriott section, but since they own Hyatt I thought I could add this. Hyatt Coconut Plantation allows outside memberships to the resort.
You're talking about a separate paid membership to have access to day use without owning a week there, correct. I am aware of at least one other resort that does this but it is not as high end as Marriott or Hyatt.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott in St. Kitts sells day passes. I bought one when I had a cruise stop there a few years ago. I think it was $50 for the day but that included a $20 voucher for lunch from the pool bar.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I've never heard of a day pass, but I'm still a newbie. At Shadow Ridge, for example, you can get a day pass if you are an owner at Shadow Ridge, or a MVCI owner anywhere?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I've never heard of a day pass, but I'm still a newbie. At Shadow Ridge, for example, you can get a day pass if you are an owner at Shadow Ridge, or a MVCI owner anywhere?
Generally you need to be an owner at the resort in order to get Day Use privileges.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
The Marriott in St. Kitts sells day passes. I bought one when I had a cruise stop there a few years ago. I think it was $50 for the day but that included a $20 voucher for lunch from the pool bar.
Was that on hotel side or MVC side of things?