• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Newport Coast for month of July

denverbob

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter is remodeling a house in Laguna Beach which probably won't be ready until August. They just sold their house in Aliso Viejo and have to be out by July 1. They are thinking about trying to rent a month at Marriott Newport Coast. She likes the spacious units and the wonderful amenities (pool, etc). She called the resort but they only rent to owners. Thinking availability might be good with Corona Virus keeping some away. Any owners out there who would like to set-up something like this for them? Or any other ideas?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to Redweek and you will see owners listing to rent their weeks. Newport Coast does not "rent to owners". Rooms are owned by timeshare owners. Marriott own some rooms that they will rent out at rack rate.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My daughter is remodeling a house in Laguna Beach which probably won't be ready until August. They just sold their house in Aliso Viejo and have to be out by July 1. They are thinking about trying to rent a month at Marriott Newport Coast. She likes the spacious units and the wonderful amenities (pool, etc). She called the resort but they only rent to owners. Thinking availability might be good with Corona Virus keeping some away. Any owners out there who would like to set-up something like this for them? Or any other ideas?
Marriott shows that the current status of the resort is for owner weeks (and exchanges) only.

Marriott’s Newport Coast® Villas
Newport Coast, California, USA
Resort Status: Open to Owner and Exchanger arrivals only as of Sunday, March 22nd until further notice.

Normally, Marriott will rent out available weeks to anyone--owner or not. Marriott.com is showing a 1 week rental from July 1-8 at about $5,800. Not sure if this is what she had in mind.

denverbob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously not $5800/week. She is currently looking at several options. She thought that during this unusual 'virus' time, rates might be lower than normal for rentals - either directly through Marriott or through owners on Redweek, etc. Current rates on Redweek are from under $200 to over $500 per night during this time. I think she was hoping that someone who already owned these weeks, would make her a deal (since they may not be able to rent another way).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Any owner is likely going to want to cover their maintenance fees and taxes. Even during COVID. So expect to pay at least $1,500 a week.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Obviously not $5800/week. She is currently looking at several options. She thought that during this unusual 'virus' time, rates might be lower than normal for rentals - either directly through Marriott or through owners on Redweek, etc. Current rates on Redweek are from under $200 to over $500 per night during this time. I think she was hoping that someone who already owned these weeks, would make her a deal (since they may not be able to rent another way).
I was just pointing out that Marriott does rent these weeks out, contrary to what you were told. Renting from an owner is almost always the cheaper route.

Do note that as of now all amenities (pools etc) are closed. Given OCs openness, my guess is they will be open July1, but not guaranteed to be.

denverbob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any owner is likely going to want to cover their maintenance fees and taxes. Even during COVID. So expect to pay at least $1,500 a week.
I believe she would pay $1500 per week. Probably couldn't find another rental in the area for less than $6k/month. And the Newport Coast units/amenities are very nice.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Right now on Redweek there are many units available for July BUT they are asking alot more than $1500 A few are asking about $2000 BUT many are asking more.
If you go to Redweek.com and use a filter to just look at July weeks then sort on price, you'll see that there are a few weeks in July that you can get for $2000/week

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now on Redweek there are many units available for July BUT they are asking alot more than $1500 A few are asking about $2000 BUT many are asking more.
If you go to Redweek.com and use a filter to just look at July weeks then sort on price, you'll see that there are a few weeks in July that you can get for $2000/week
A CA coastal town near and dear to me is Santa Cruz. I had thought there might be some lodging bargains to be found, but no. I think there are many central valley residents who are literally 'chomping at the bit' to escape the heat. The same probably applies to SOCAL, and specifically Newport Coast.

denverbob

TUG Member
Reaction score
A CA coastal town near and dear to me is Santa Cruz. I had thought there might be some lodging bargains to be found, but no. I think there are many central valley residents who are literally 'chomping at the bit' to escape the heat. The same probably applies to SOCAL, and specifically Newport Coast.
I had the same thought that perhaps prices would fall to under $200/night at MNC. I have seen a few Redweek postings close to that, but not (yet) the majority. With Disneyland still closed, I would be surprised if those asking much more will actually rent. Right now her need for July is not final, as buyer of her home is having some issues with selling their home.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Now that the state has opened the beaches and beach parking the local crowds and out of state plates are returning. I’m seeing AZ, NV and Texas. Yesterday at Bolsa Chica there were several van loads of schoolkids with the windows marked up, grade school grad party. We had a heat wave this past week, hit 100s in Riverside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think there is enough demand for July beach weeks even with amenities closed (because people just want to get out of the house and stay somewhere nice) that unless you are waiting until very last minute you won't find one for under $2000.