• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone use an Online Notary?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Deciding whether to go to ups store, the bank or look for an online notary. Our state did not approve online notary but from what I am reading another state who authorized online notaries, a notary in that state can do it for someone in another state. Did anyone use one?

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
I have never used an online notary and, as one who once held a notary license, I'd be very curious as to how an online assertion would hold-up over the long-haul. It may be of minimal concern in this digital age -- but, if it were me, I'd risk going to the UPS store or bank or wherever to have an actual notary stamp/emboss my paperwork.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The function of a Notary is to certify your identity. How can an online Notary do that? Just curious. I live with a Notary.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have never used a online notary. My bank will only notarize their own documents. I use either a mobile notary that comes to my location, or go to a service provider that has an office. Not sure which would be safer in today's world.

Brett

Reaction score
I also go to a branch of a local bank for notary services

not sure how it would work online ...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Wondering if Covid is accelerating the trend for notarys to go the way of the FAX machine? One government agency I know of changed from requiring notary to simply having the person sign "under penalty of perjury.'

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Online notaries typically use an audio-visual set up (like Zoom).
They see you, see your ID, and see you sign the doc, and, depending
on the state, have you send the doc to them or scan+transmit it via
email for them to sign+stamp and email back.

Hawaii (maybe others) make the notary verify you are physically in
the state, but will honor docs notarized elsewhere.

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
It probably depends on the document and who wants it notarized. I cannot imagine anyone processing a real estate transaction accepting a virtual notarization.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have an appointment at the bank tomorrow. Even though we are in phase three some branches are still closed and notaries are not at all locations so it is a long ride. The notary is supposed to be in UPS store tomorrow but have to call to make sure and that a second employee is there as a witness. Will cost $5 signature per document so $20 but my preference as it is close by. My local bank recommended them which is open. Shame on them for not having a notary.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have an appointment at the bank tomorrow. Even though we are in phase three some branches are still closed and notaries are not at all locations so it is a long ride. The notary is supposed to be in UPS store tomorrow but have to call to make sure and that a second employee is there as a witness. Will cost $5 signature per document so $20 but my preference as it is close by. My local bank recommended them which is open. Shame on them for not having a notary.
I wonder if some banks are doing away with them. We had a couple of things notarized at Wells Fargo, then they stopped having a notary. I was able to get something else notarized for free at a bank where an organization I belong to has their account and the teller/notary was nice enough to do it for me. We've also used UPS and traveling notaries.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the mortgage finance industry. Remote online Notarization (RON) is very common and has been for the last year or so. The key is to check to see if it is legal where you live. I'm not giving you any advice, but read the information on this link: https://www.ballardspahr.com/alerts...s/2020-03-20-e-sig-remote-online-notarization.

Also, because of the pandemic, RON, and In person electronic notarization (IPEN) are both very common. RON is used mostly in a virtual closing room where everyone signs electronically from remote locations. IPEN is used when when the parties are present, but the loan is an eMortgage (paperless), nobody touches a pen or paper, and a traditional seal isn't an option. Both are going to be how everything is done in the future.

Brett

Reaction score
I'm in the mortgage finance industry. Remote online Notarization (RON) is very common and has been for the last year or so. The key is to check to see if it is legal where you live. I'm not giving you any advice, but read the information on this link: https://www.ballardspahr.com/alerts...s/2020-03-20-e-sig-remote-online-notarization.

Also, because of the pandemic, RON, and In person electronic notarization (IPEN) are both very common. RON is used mostly in a virtual closing room where everyone signs electronically from remote locations. IPEN is used when when the parties are present, but the loan is an eMortgage (paperless), nobody touches a pen or paper, and a traditional seal isn't an option. Both are going to be how everything is done in the future.

interesting
hope online notarization isn't abused ....

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire

Yes -- very interesting

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

My state brought it up in legislation due to the virus but did nothing. I could use one of the states that can do it in other states but not knowing who is legit is stopping me. Will just venture out and do it.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We had a couple of things notarized at Wells Fargo, then they stopped having a notary...

You ran them off?
At least our credit union still provides the service.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You ran them off?
At least our credit union still provides the service.
I don't know if our credit union does. I've never asked them. But my guess is they don't and that's why we went to Wells Fargo, where we have our safe deposit boxes.