• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice needed and sorry if this has been asked already

Reaction score
Hi

I own a few weeks at Playa Andaluza in Platinum season (the resort location doesn’t matter really) and like many others with Covid 19 it looks very unlikely I will be able to travel this year. The question I have is I know my week is normally in high demand and if I was to normally put in an exchange for another resort during that year I would be fairly confident in getting that. However as I’m not looking to exchange but deposit my week instead is my trading power within Interval International now the same as someone with say a silver week? Will I be losing out on my trading power by just deposit rather than looking to exchange at the point of depositing?

Further to the story I own a 3 bed platinum and would like to trade back in to the resort next year in a 3 bed during platinum season. Not taking into account everyone maybe looking to do the same, in ordinary circumstances would that realistically be possible or like I said earlier because it’s a deposit rather than an exchange is it not worth the trading value it normally has?

As always your experience and knowledge is appreciated.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I own a few weeks at Playa Andaluza in Platinum season (the resort location doesn’t matter really) and like many others with Covid 19 it looks very unlikely I will be able to travel this year. The question I have is I know my week is normally in high demand and if I was to normally put in an exchange for another resort during that year I would be fairly confident in getting that. However as I’m not looking to exchange but deposit my week instead is my trading power within Interval International now the same as someone with say a silver week? Will I be losing out on my trading power by just deposit rather than looking to exchange at the point of depositing?

Further to the story I own a 3 bed platinum and would like to trade back in to the resort next year in a 3 bed during platinum season. Not taking into account everyone maybe looking to do the same, in ordinary circumstances would that realistically be possible or like I said earlier because it’s a deposit rather than an exchange is it not worth the trading value it normally has?

As always your experience and knowledge is appreciated.

As long as you are not making a late deposit your trading power is the same whether you make an exchange on II immediately or deposit and exchange later.
If you already know where you want to go and it is not sitting available in inventory place a request on II so you will be confirmed when it becomes available.

Trading power in not based on what everyone else is doing, its an assigned value II places on a unit based on the resort, travel demand index of week of an established chart, other factors.

Hope I interpreted your question correctly. This part of your question confused me because it seems to me in both cases you are depositing and exchanging on II.
” I know my week is normally in high demand and if I was to normally put in an exchange for another resort during that year I would be fairly confident in getting that. However as I’m not looking to exchange but deposit my week instead”.
Whether the exchange you want comes through is related to your trading power, but most importantly whether someone deposits what you want which is why I suggest placing a request.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply and you did interpret my question correctly.

My current booking is for 25th July 2020 so I’m OK with the 60 day rule but depositing now and putting in a place request for say July 21 should be fine in your opinion as I’m trading a platinum week for a platinum week. I’m assuming if I had deposited my week originally I could of Request First and then if I didn’t get my trade I would get my week back, but as I’m so close to my checkin date I can’t see that being possible for someone to deposit a unit for next year yet as they cannot book next years weeks yet.

Again hopefully I make sense, or is it a case of a little knowledge is dangerous and I’m confusing myself.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

My current booking is for 25th July 2020 so I’m OK with the 60 day rule but depositing now and putting in a place request for say July 21 should be fine in your opinion as I’m trading a platinum week for a platinum week. I’m assuming if I had deposited my week originally I could of Request First and then if I didn’t get my trade I would get my week back, but as I’m so close to my checkin date I can’t see that being possible for someone to deposit a unit for next year yet as they cannot book next years weeks yet.

Again hopefully I make sense, or is it a case of a little knowledge is dangerous and I’m confusing myself.

Yes I agree since you are close to the 60 day mark you should go ahead and deposit (when you request first you are not depositing your week into II, you are holding your ownership week until your request comes through and then depositing).

And yes put your request in right away for your exchange.
The thing I have no knowledge of is how likely it is you will get your exchange- I am not familiar with the resort and I don’t know if many 3 bedrooms get deposited whole and are available for exchange. Again this is not a matter of your trading power, it’s whether owners deposit.
Your best change for success is definitely to get that request in now- you are more than 13 months in advance so in good position when deposits come in.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with your resort will comment to give you an idea what to expect.
Seems like really at this point you need deposit and exchange to someplace.

Last edited:

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
Thanks for this question as I am in the same situation. I needed all that info myself. We've owned two weeks for twelve years and never needed or tried II. This year looks to be the first unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you are not making a late deposit your trading power is the same whether you make an exchange on II immediately or deposit and exchange later.

To clarify this, II has always said for the best trades, deposit sooner. Right in the II book under "Exchange Priority", it says the date relinquished is a factor. So, depositing a week today is not the same as depositing the same week 6 months from now. As Pamplemousse says, when you exchange doesn't really matter. I merely wanted to clarify that depositing the earliest possible is best when anyone uses Interval.

I initially read "trading power is the same whether you make an exchange on II immediately or deposit and exchange later" to be saying the same if you deposit later and exchange later, but decided he must have meant deposited now and exchanged later.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this question as I am in the same situation. I needed all that info myself. We've owned two weeks for twelve years and never needed or tried II. This year looks to be the first unfortunately.

Crack corn if you don’t have an II account you’ll want to be sure to call MVC and have them guide you through opening one ASAP- it can take some time and you want to get your weeks deposited more than 60 days from check in and the earlier the better.

To clarify this, II has always said for the best trades, deposit sooner. Right in the II book under "Exchange Priority", it says the date relinquished is a factor. So, depositing a week today is not the same as depositing the same week 6 months from now. As Pamplemousse says, when you exchange doesn't really matter. I merely wanted to clarify that depositing the earliest possible is best when anyone uses Interval.

I initially read "trading power is the same whether you make an exchange on II immediately or deposit and exchange later" to be saying the same if you deposit later and exchange later, but decided he must have meant deposited now and exchanged later.

Steve I don‘t disagree with you- I deposit my week into II on the same day as I make my ownership reservation. But OP really has no choice at this point- it’s more than 60 days or less so definitely want that to be more. Getting the request in at 13 months for what he owns should be fine for trading if someone deposits.

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up but we have an acct already. We enrolled our weeks into destinations club and pay the dues

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

As noted, your exchange power is going to be reduced because of the short notice. Technically Platinum has nothing to do with trade power though in most cases it should mean it's a high demand time. I am aware of some Gold properties and weeks that have a higher trade power than many Platinum weeks at various resorts and in some cases probably than any entire resort. I don't know the lay of the land on the 3 BR there but it's less likely a 3 BR will be deposited and even more unlikely when there are lockoff's. Can you split into a studio and a 2BR and get 2 deposits?

Reaction score
Hi Dean

I didn’t think of splitting the unit into a 2 bed and a studio but yes I could do that. Thanks that’s a good idea, because I agree very few 3 beds in my opinion will be deposited. So I can trade a 2 bed for a 2 bed.

Cheers

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Dean

I didn’t think of splitting the unit into a 2 bed and a studio but yes I could do that. Thanks that’s a good idea, because I agree very few 3 beds in my opinion will be deposited. So I can trade a 2 bed for a 2 bed.

Cheers
Great, I'm glad the suggestion was helpful. To be honest, I didn't know the resort well enough to be sure the options. Maybe you could trade a 2 BR for a 3 BR or a studio for a 2 BR.