• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Contingency Plans - MVC Cancelled weeks and Interval

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need some clarity on MVC’s current cancellation policy. I’ve read it but I interpret a couple of different ways. Here’s my scenario.

Weeks owner with reservation.
What happens when cancelling 15-59 days before check-in?
What happens when cancelling 14 days or less before check-in?

I’ve read that 15-59 days before check in gets you an II certificate where you can book up to 59 days out. Cancelling 14 days or less gets you a certificate where you can book up to 30 days out. If I’m understanding correctly, these are the standard II rules.

However, I’ve also read somewhere that because of Covid-19, that regardless of when you cancel you’ll receive a certificate that’s good for booking up to 120 days out.

So which one is it? This is where my confusion lies. The 5/15 puts me 15 days before check in. I’m trying to plan ahead. An article was released indicating that Hawaii is likely to extend quarantine. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst. 120 days out is more usable to me but trying to understand how far I can push my luck.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need some clarity on MVC’s current cancellation policy. I’ve read it but I interpret a couple of different ways. Here’s my scenario.

I’ve read that 15-59 days before check in gets you an II certificate where you can book up to 59 days out. Cancelling 14 days or less gets you a certificate where you can book up to 30 days out. If I’m understanding correctly, these are the standard II rules.

However, I’ve also read somewhere that because of Covid-19, that regardless of when you cancel you’ll receive a certificate that’s good for booking up to 120 days out.

So which one is it? This is where my confusion lies. The 5/15 puts me 15 days before check in. I’m trying to plan ahead. An article was released indicating that Hawaii is likely to extend quarantine. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst. 120 days out is more usable to me but trying to understand how far I can push my luck.

Steve,
I am thinking your arrival is before 6/1 based on your other posts?

For ownership weeks with arrival on or before 6/1 this is MVC policy-
You will receive an Interval International week that will be deposited into your Interval International account within the next 10 days for future use. The Interval International week will have a reduced exchange rate of $99 and will expire on December 16, 2021. You will be able to check availability up to 120 days prior to your desired arrival date.

For ownership weeks after 6/1 MVC is not currently offering anything beyond the standard II late deposit policy.
I’m thinking they MVC may extend that date if the quarantine continues and offer that before 6/1 policy which gives the 120 days advance booking instead of 60 days advance for deposit 59-14 days in advance
or 30 days ahead with deposit at less than 14 good for 2 years.
Not sure which you would find better.

I haven’t read that II is just blanket offering the 120 days advance for all late deposits which I think is what you are asking.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

I canceled my upcoming MOC week in the 15-59 day time period and had it deposited into II. I received a certificate good until December next year (2021) with a 120 days booking window. I've never used II or done a trade, so I don't know how that will play out, but it was the best/only option other than just losing it.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I canceled my upcoming MOC week in the 15-59 day time period and had it deposited into II. I received a certificate good until December next year (2021) with a 120 days booking window. I've never used II or done a trade, so I don't know how that will play out, but it was the best/only option other than just losing it.
When was your check in date of the week you cancelled? If it’s before 6/1 that is consistent with what the current policy states.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
And to confirm, my Week 22, which was Check in before 6/1 got the 120 Day Accommodation Certificate.
My Week 23, which was Check In on 6/6 was supposed to have the Short Notice Deposit with II. However, because of Ige's implied statement that they will be extending Quarantine till end of June, the Owner Services rep was able to deposit this as an AC. I had the choice of one or the other for my Week 23.

The question came down to having an AC with 120 day window or a Deposit with stronger trading power with 59 day window. Coin toss in my opinion. I went with the AC.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
The question came down to having an AC with 120 day window or a Deposit with stronger trading power with 59 day window. Coin toss in my opinion. I went with the AC.
I went the other way, I wanted the longer end date to trade. Deposit is good for the usual two years, so I have until May 2022.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
And to confirm, my Week 22, which was Check in before 6/1 got the 120 Day Accommodation Certificate.
My Week 23, which was Check In on 6/6 was supposed to have the Short Notice Deposit with II. However, because of Ige's implied statement that they will be extending Quarantine till end of June, the Owner Services rep was able to deposit this as an AC. I had the choice of one or the other for my Week 23.

Just wondering- are you assuming the late deposit of your ownership week ( about 3 weeks out?) would have better trading power than the Marriott AC or did Marriott or II tell you that would be the case?
I know it is reported that late deposits have decreased trading power.
Good luck- let us know how you make out exchanging the ACs.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering- are you assuming the late deposit of your ownership week ( about 3 weeks out?) would have better trading power than the Marriott AC or did Marriott or II tell you that would be the case?
I know it is reported that late deposits have decreased trading power.
Good luck- let us know how you make out exchanging the ACs.
MVC seemed to imply that the short notice deposit would have more trading powder. I really have no clue.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sorry to hear you won't be heading to Maui Steven. These ACs are a HUGE devaluation of what you own. With no other real alternative, I guess it is best to get what you can in light of the current situation.

tshd

Reaction score
Hi Steven,
I'm truly sorry to hear that it didn't work out as you hoped. I was kind of hoping you'd go for it and report back about your experience, but there seemed to be more cons than pros in your family's decision whether to travel. Since I'm facing a similar decision, I'm wondering if you will share what (if any) fine print restrictions you might have on the ACs from II. You can see these by clicking on the AC number.
Thanks

CA Richard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Steven,
I'm truly sorry to hear that it didn't work out as you hoped. I was kind of hoping you'd go for it and report back about your experience, but there seemed to be more cons than pros in your family's decision whether to travel. Since I'm facing a similar decision, I'm wondering if you will share what (if any) fine print restrictions you might have on the ACs from II. You can see these by clicking on the AC number.
Thanks

Hi,
Most likely Steven has not received his certificate yet, so I thought I would answer. I also had to cancel a trip last month and received one of these certs. It took at least a couple weeks to show up in my account. Here are the restrictions:

All confirmations are made on a space available basis and no guarantee is made that any specific request can be confirmed. The redemption of the Accommodation Certificate is subject to certain terms and conditions. A redemption fee will be required.

This Certificate cannot be combined nor used in conjunction with any other certificate or fee waiver certificate.

All other terms and conditions of individual membership, exchange and flex change must be adhered to.

This certificate must be completed prior to the expiration date DECEMBER 24, 2021.

Certificate not valid for 18DEC to 31DEC travel dates.

This certificate has no cash value.

tshd

Reaction score
Thanks Richard! So it doesn't seem as though it has any location/resort restrictions. Was your AC a replacement for a prior exchange cancellation or for a new deposit?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Most likely Steven has not received his certificate yet, so I thought I would answer. I also had to cancel a trip last month and received one of these certs. It took at least a couple weeks to show up in my account. Here are the restrictions:

All confirmations are made on a space available basis and no guarantee is made that any specific request can be confirmed. The redemption of the Accommodation Certificate is subject to certain terms and conditions. A redemption fee will be required.

This Certificate cannot be combined nor used in conjunction with any other certificate or fee waiver certificate.

All other terms and conditions of individual membership, exchange and flex change must be adhered to.

This certificate must be completed prior to the expiration date DECEMBER 24, 2021.

Certificate not valid for 18DEC to 31DEC travel dates.

This certificate has no cash value.
Have you done a trade test in using this AC vs. other deposits in II?

CA Richard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you done a trade test in using this AC vs. other deposits in II?
Yes. I’m not overly impressed, but it definitely pulls better than a couple AC’s I have in my account. I only have one other regular deposit in my account for a Grand Chateau I deposited, and it seems to pull comparably to that one. I can only look out 120 days, so it’s a limited sample and probably not representative of the real world since the next few months have to be distorted by the virus.

tshd

Reaction score
Yes. I’m not overly impressed, but it definitely pulls better than a couple AC’s I have in my account. I only have one other regular deposit in my account for a Grand Chateau I deposited, and it seems to pull comparably to that one. I can only look out 120 days, so it’s a limited sample and probably not representative of the real world since the next few months have to be distorted by the virus.
I have several weeks and can see that II is throttling advanced availability for even non-restricted weeks, so your GC might not even be showing all future availability.