• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bed & Breakfast Etiquette Guidance Needed!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fellow travelers, I am having my virgin B&B experience.

What is the etiquette upon my departure regarding tipping? Do I leave a tip?

I have no idea how this works.

geekette

Reaction score
Fellow travelers, I am having my virgin B&B experience.

What is the etiquette upon my departure regarding tipping? Do I leave a tip?

I have no idea how this works.
I don't know about tipping, but you might pack a thank you note (I have a zillion thank you cards). I'm sure they would appreciate a hand written note of gratitude.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, a card of thanks and maybe a few bucks- especially if 'extra' service - restaurant or sightseeing recommendations, for instance, are provided.

I'm always sort of confused when nit comes to tipping self-employed people- my barber, or a housekeeper- people who get to set their own prices- are concerned. This falls into that category too.

In the end, I don't suppose there's a right or wrong. I'd err on the side of generosity.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, a card of thanks and maybe a few bucks- especially if 'extra' service - restaurant or sightseeing recommendations, for instance, are provided.

I'm always sort of confused when nit comes to tipping self-employed people- my barber, or a housekeeper- people who get to set their own prices- are concerned. This falls into that category too.

In the end, I don't suppose there's a right or wrong. I'd err on the side of generosity.
Thank you -- I am erring on generosity too especially since so many people are hurting these days,

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The one we stayed at didn't have food, so no tipping involved we just thanked them and said how much we loved their B&B and we would highly recommend them to friends family.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The one we stayed at didn't have food, so no tipping involved we just thanked them and said how much we loved their B&B and we would highly recommend them to friends family.
Wouldn't you still tip for housekeeping?

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you still tip for housekeeping?
Probably yes, it was only one night at Hilo Volcano HI. When I went to an Exchange at Raintree timeshare in Mexico the housekeeping where awesome and live on tips so a big yes to them. :)

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you -- I am erring on generosity too especially since so many people are hurting these days,
Hi... I often tip the housekeeping staff and I bri g a small token of something from my state. Ex. Maple syrup or a jar of homemade jam. No need to tip owners.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If you were happy tip, if you can afford it be generous, all businesses are suffering including B&B.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Probably yes, it was only one night at Hilo Volcano HI. When I went to an Exchange at Raintree timeshare in Mexico the housekeeping where awesome and live on tips so a big yes to them. :)
In Mexico, tipping of housekeeping staff is expected.

I also rely on advice given me by some people more knowledgeable than I am about Latin American culture and tipping. Namely that tipping for services provided is a much bigger expectation. In most countries welfare and governmental assistance doesn't exist. So people exist by looking for ways they can provide services and help to those who do have some means. So if you have means you share your good fortune by graciously tipping for services provided.

When I grasped that concept, then my attitudes changed greatly. And I was bit ashamed of my past attitudes. Generosity and sharing good fortune is a desirable trait.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Mexico, tipping of housekeeping staff is expected.

I also rely on advice given me by some people more knowledgeable than I am about Latin American culture and tipping. Namely that tipping for services provided is a much bigger expectation. In most countries welfare and governmental assistance doesn't exist. So people exist by looking for ways they can provide services and help to those who do have some means. So if you have means you share your good fortune by graciously tipping for services provided.

When I grasped that concept, then my attitudes changed greatly. And I was bit ashamed of my past attitudes. Generosity and sharing good fortune is a desirable trait.

Tipping in at least parts of Latin America is a lot different then in North America.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Tipping in at least parts of Latin America is a lot different then in North America.
On a recent trip I was in a panga, along with local grandma, two of her daughters, and an infant. Upon arriving at the pier, there were a couple of young men helping people off the boat. The family got off first, and I noted they went on their way. So we got off and started to leave and were reminded, directly but not rudely, that tipping was expected. Those who have means are expected to share.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same in Asia and the Middle East. In Asia, Monks line up for daily alms and offer blessings to the givers. And the Koran preaches that those who are able should give 10% of their wealth to the poor.

We've wandered a bit from @Cornell's question about tipping at a B&B, but there it is.

Jim

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have stayed in B&Bs in the past. I follow the normal tipping standards such as tipping for food, tipping housekeeping, etc. It has never occurred to me to tip the B&B owners but I guess if they have provided you with personal services, then it makes sense to tip whoever has helped you. I tip everyone even owners when they provide a service. I do not differentiate between owners and workers. I tip whoever provides me with service.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Wouldn't that just be a bed??? ;-)

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
I have stayed in B&Bs in the past. I follow the normal tipping standards such as tipping for food, tipping housekeeping, etc. It has never occurred to me to tip the B&B owners but I guess if they have provided you with personal services, then it makes sense to tip whoever has helped you. I tip everyone even owners when they provide a service. I do not differentiate between owners and workers. I tip whoever provides me with service.

We have only "tipped" once- last November in the Alsace. We paid in euro for our two night stay and told the owner to please not worry about the change.

For me, it seems awkward to tip the B&B host/hostess since they typically spend time in conversation with us, we get to know each other and we've not encountered additional staff. The B&B owners seem to do it all!!

Does anyone know a B&B owner to ask how they feel about tipping? Inquiring minds want to know so as to do the proper procedure!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have only "tipped" once- last November in the Alsace. We paid in euro for our two night stay and told the owner to please not worry about the change.

For me, it seems awkward to tip the B&B host/hostess since they typically spend time in conversation with us, we get to know each other and we've not encountered additional staff. The B&B owners seem to do it all!!

Does anyone know a B&B owner to ask how they feel about tipping? Inquiring minds want to know so as to do the proper procedure!

Most times people will always he happy to take your money.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi there!!! I have a friend that runs a B&B . He said he likes to see guests tip his housekeeping staff. He feels he is already paid by the guest for the accommodation.. However, he will accept a glass of wine or a dinner invitation if asked. He provides tours as well so when he does that piece he does accept tips. I hope this helps. It isn't expected by the owners.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Not necessarily. With Air BnB, the next host could be anywhere with almost any type of accommodations.
She said BnB, not Air BnB. My answer, and it sounds like most who answered, was the assumption this was a BnB. I've never stayed in an Air BnB accommodation and have no idea of you even tip. I guess if you have house keeping services, but I thought most of them were basically like an apartment type thing. You rent and there are no services during your stay.

geekette

Reaction score
She said BnB, not Air BnB. My answer, and it sounds like most who answered, was the assumption this was a BnB. I've never stayed in an Air BnB accommodation and have no idea of you even tip. I guess if you have house keeping services, but I thought most of them were basically like an apartment type thing. You rent and there are no services during your stay.
I was kind of joking. I know she said BnB, she described it in a previous thread.

A friend of mine is renting out a yurt via Air BnB. Per night fee, no services, amenities are free, no tip expected. Her son has had his house rented most all of last year via Air BnB. Same per night, nothing more expected. I'd say big difference is that you expect your host to be there for a BnB, and at least one meal per day prepped for you. Probably with Air BnB you don't expect to meet host in person, and probably not sharing a roof with them.