• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii to require 14-day quarantine of incoming air passengers [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'd rather see Hawaii healthy than low employment and a health system in crisis. Seems we have to keep reminding people of the priorities of this pandemic...especially as our mainland numbers are increasing almost everywhere outside New York. If the numbers keep going, it's going to be a lot worse before it gets better, so if I was in Hawaii I wouldn't want anyone visiting, either.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I guess a lot of people with businesses in tourism will be moving off of the island and to the mainland because they cannot get work. Too few jobs available, if tourism closes down completely for the year.

This is almost feeling some big joke to me. Taking photos, forcing people to stay in a hotel room and having food delivered, not allowing rental cars. It's not the U.S.A. and the freedom we all know and love, but they never wanted to be part of the country. Let them have Hawaii, all of the natives and their governor, because I can stop going. I am worried they will use this Covid as an excuse to keep us all away. Time to sell my Maui weeks.

If you look at articles on their Star Advertiser publication, you can actually read the public comments posted beneath each article. I have found these comments saddening and disheartening. There appears to be a large number of residents who really don’t like tourists. I have read the comments with fascination because I was unaware how deep this went. Pick any article on the economy, reopening the state, tourism, etc., and you will find the types of comments I am referring to.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'd rather see Hawaii healthy than low employment and a health system in crisis. Seems we have to keep reminding people of the priorities of this pandemic...especially as our mainland numbers are increasing almost everywhere outside New York. If the numbers keep going, it's going to be a lot worse before it gets better, so if I was in Hawaii I wouldn't want anyone visiting, either.

I have seen many threads on the virus and I don’t think reminding anyone about anything helps.

I’ll just wait until Governor Ige makes the decision and deal with either way he decides.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
If you look at articles on their Star Advertiser publication, you can actually read the public comments posted beneath each article. I have found these comments saddening and disheartening. There appears to be a large number of residents who really don’t like tourists. I have read the comments with fascination because I was unaware how deep this went. Pick any article on the economy, reopening the state, tourism, etc., and you will find the types of comments I am referring to.

Those comments have always been there pre-Covid. There is a population that feels that way to the core and always has been.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have seen many threads on the virus and I don’t think reminding anyone about anything helps.

I’ll just wait until Governor Ige makes the decision and deal with either way he decides.

I agree. So why are there so many posts complaining about Hawaii not allowing visitors when it's been posted so many times?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
IMNSHO, the safety of the people of Hawaii is far more important than me missing a vacation or two. Yes, I understand the financial hardships - the Coronavirus has caused a significant financial hardship for our family, but I'd choose quarantine over exposing my family to the Coronavirus everytime, and I think Hawaii is doing the smart thing. YMMV
I wonder if the 30+% of people that are unemployed in Hawaii feel the same way. Sure, many are getting the enhanced unemployment benefits right now, but if Hawaii isn't going to open up tourism for several months (as it is looking now), then they will be looking at depression-like living conditions. Tough situation all around.

Kurt

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. So why are there so many posts complaining about Hawaii not allowing visitors when it's been posted so many times?

Simply, Because they don’t agree with you.

Governor Ige is not going to base his decision On what is posted, on either side, here on TUG.

I will wait on Governor Ige’s decision and move on from there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Those comments have always been there pre-Covid. There is a population that feels that way to the core and always has been.

It's understandable: Just 127 years ago, Hawaii was conquered by the US in a coup lead by pineapple king, Stanford Dole. At the time, a Govt. commission determined that the action was illegal, but Stanford and other wealthy landowners would not back down, and the US president did not want to send in troops. In 1993, the US President formally apologised to native Hawaiians for the overthrow of their country.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am not worried about my vacation, I am worried about all of the people who are out of work and cannot pay rent/ mortgage/ or buy food. Unemployment and underemployment have always been an issue on Oahu. A lot of the people who are homeless at night go to jobs during the day, and they go back to their tents at night because they cannot afford to pay rent and feed their families. The state has rich people and poor people, to the extreme on both ends. Food banks are overwhelmed.

I hope they welcome us back in February, but if they have a quarantine in place, we will go and abide by it. I can stay at Hono Koa for two weeks without going anywhere. I can whale watch from my lanai, which is only 35 feet from the water.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's understandable: Just 127 years ago, Hawaii was conquered by the US in a coup lead by pineapple king, Stanford Dole. At the time, a Govt. commission determined that the action was illegal, but Stanford and other wealthy landowners would not back down, and the US president did not want to send in troops. In 1993, the US President formally apologised to native Hawaiians for the overthrow of their country.

Yep, totally agree. I wasn’t judging any right or wrong. Just stating that it has always been there.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am not worried about my vacation, I am worried about all of the people who are out of work and cannot pay rent/ mortgage/ or buy food. Unemployment and underemployment have always been an issue on Oahu. A lot of the people who are homeless at night go to jobs during the day, and they go back to their tents at night because they cannot afford to pay rent and feed their families. The state has rich people and poor people, to the extreme on both ends. Food banks are overwhelmed.

I hope they welcome us back in February, but if they have a quarantine in place, we will go and abide by it. I can stay at Hono Koa for two weeks without going anywhere. I can whale watch from my lanai, which is only 35 feet from the water.
The people of Hawaii are making a choice. The economic consequences are likely more devastating in Hawaii than almost anywhere else in the US. Despite that, the resolve and commitment to undertake and enforce control measures is probably greater in Hawaii than almost anywhere else in the US. That speaks to some significant difference in cultural values and norms.

Kevsdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
The people of Hawaii are making a choice. The economic consequences are likely more devastating in Hawaii than almost anywhere else in the US. Despite that, the resolve and commitment to undertake and enforce control measures is probably greater in Hawaii than almost anywhere else in the US. That speaks to some significant difference in cultural values and norms.

Respectfully, I would say the elected officials are making the choice not necessarily the people. Here in California, Newsome is making a lot of choices that are not popular by “the people.”

I don’t know if the choices made by official in Hawaii are popular or not.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's in his post:
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 8.48.41 PM.png

BagsArePacked

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why don't you donate to the local food bank since you are so "concerned"?

Hawaii is suffering badly, and not because they are sick.
)

Let them have Hawaii, all of the natives and their governor, because I can stop going. I am worried they will use this Covid as an excuse to keep us all away. Time to sell my Maui weeks.

I'm sure the few thousand "natives" that may still be living in their homeland and haven't died off or moved away yet won't miss you or your Costco runs.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"I'm sure the few thousand "natives" that may still be living in their homeland and haven't died off or moved away yet won't miss you or your Costco runs. "

It's ok to disagree with someone's opinion, but not be disrespectful.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a two-way street. "Let them have Hawaii, all of the natives and their governor" is, to my mind, absolutely disrespectful.

More generally, the idea that my willingness to spend money somewhere for pleasure should override concerns for the health and well-being of the people who live there is a very clear reason why there can still be animosity towards tourists, in Hawaii or anywhere else. That's what tourists do, I'd rather be a traveler.

Kevsdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah?

Many/most poll are garbage (See 2016 election). Easily influenced by the way questions are asked and the halo effect.

In LA, most may be OK with keeping thing locked down until August, but not here in Sacramento where are infection and death rates are nothing like down south.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Many/most poll are garbage (See 2016 election). Easily influenced by the way questions are asked and the halo effect.

In LA, most may be OK with keeping thing locked down until August, but not here in Sacramento where are infection and death rates are nothing like down south.

Do you have any evidence other than anecdotal evidence to support your statement?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Today, the Hawaii Gov. said Hawaii will be releasing their comprehensive plan in the next few days.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Ok, I get it. You don’t like the poll.

Let’s recap: you posted an opinion that our Governor is acting in a manner inconsistent with the will of “the people” and forgot to include any evidence supporting your position. I replied by posting an article to one of the premier newspapers in the country showing that a recent poll indicates that 75% of the people disagree with your opinion. Then you respond by saying polls can’t be trusted. Sure thing. Next!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Ok, I get it. You don’t like the poll.

Let’s recap: you posted an opinion that our Governor is acting in a manner inconsistent with the will of “the people” and forgot to include any evidence supporting your position. I replied by posting an article to one of the premier newspapers in the country showing that a recent poll indicates that 75% of the people disagree with your opinion. Then you respond by saying polls can’t be trusted. Sure thing. Next!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because us unamerican wackos that make up the vast majority of California that are staying home as not to spread the virus to our loved ones and others - versus grabbing our guns, threatening law makers and protesting that their Constitution rights are being impinged upon (that likely never actually read the Constitution, or paid attention when learning Science or Math).

Health >> Money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because us unamerican wackos that make up the vast majority of California that are staying home as not to spread the virus to our loved ones and others - versus grabbing our guns, threatening law makers and protesting that their Constitution rights are being impinged upon (that likely never actually read the Constitution, or paid attention when learning Science or Math).

Health >> Money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How long do you want to keep this country shut down? 100 cases? 50 cases? Maybe when we have 5 cases. I thought we wanted to flatten the curve. Mall workers out of jobs. Small business owners out of jobs. Servers out of jobs. Here's a new one Hospital workers out of jobs.
"When a patient came in recently with broken bones, the doctor couldn't turn to the orthopedic technicians. Those technicians had been laid off. So Phillips found herself putting traction on a hospital bed, a pulley system that slowly lifts and moves the broken body parts."
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/08/8524...-of-health-care-workers-face-furloughs-layoff

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Why shut down the economy to save lives from Covid-19, but not from other causes? Tens of thousands of people die in traffic accidents every year. Why not ban cars and shut down all traffic, or maybe ban at least non-essential traffic? This will save lives. Tens of thousands of lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.