• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea: Is This Accurate?

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am being offered a resale at the Westin Nanea. I just want to make sure that what I am being offered is actually an Ocean Front unit year round:
"Resort Name": Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
Bedrooms: VariesBathrooms: VariesWeek(s): 1-52Unit: varies
Week Type: PointsSeason: PlatinumView: Oceanfront
Usage: Biennial EvenPoints: 95700Points Anniversary: 7/1/2018
Buyers 1st Use Year: 2022Buyers 1st Fee Payment Due: 1/2021

The reason I'm being careful is that it seems to be offered as a points unit, but I thought that you did not get points at Westin Nanea. Rather, you get whatever type of unit you are purchasing, and if you want to trade to another Westin, you have to go through a timeshare exchange (like Interval International, or SFX). Also, with points, whether it's starpoints or staroptions, my understanding is that the ocean front units are all two bedrooms, and it takes a lot more than 95700 to get one of these. Does it look right that this will be a year round ocean front unit? Or is this going to be a resort view interest?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Nanea are points only. These are not StarOptions. These are Nanea points that can only be used to reserve Nanea. They come in two flavors: resort view and oceanfront. You can buy any amount of points, not necessarily corresponding to a weekly value of any unit. For this reason, 95,700 Nanea oceanfront points are practically useless since you cannot make a full week reservation with them.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The most nights you could get from them would be a four nights during the week with a Sun or Thur night in there, or three weekend nights.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Yup, Nanea is essentially it's own flex program. And yeah you wouldn't be able to get 7 nights with that low points, but a good thing is you can book 3-4 nights check-in any day.

You could get 7 nights in a Resort View 1-bedroom if your lucky to catch one of the limited number.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Yup, Nanea is essentially it's own flex program. And yeah you wouldn't be able to get 7 nights with that low points, but a good thing is you can book 3-4 nights check-in any day.

You could get 7 nights in a Resort View 1-bedroom if your lucky to catch one of the limited number.

I don't think you can use oceanfront points to book resort view.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You can if you are inside the 8 month StarOption booking window.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
You can if you are inside the 8 month StarOption booking window.

If you bought from developer and have StarOptions, then yes. But if you bought resale, I think you then only have oceanfront specific points and cannot book resort view. Can anyone who owns Nanea resale confirm?

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
ahh.. thanks for the correction! I knew resort view couldn't book OF, but I thought the other way was okay (but not). And correct (developer purchase) can only book the other view at 8 months. I don't know about resale.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you bought from developer and have StarOptions, then yes. But if you bought resale, I think you then only have oceanfront specific points and cannot book resort view. Can anyone who owns Nanea resale confirm?
That is true. Didn't consider that in my response.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
It may only make sense to buy Nanea resale if it's either 176,700 or 257,700 oceanfront points, corresponding to a weekly value of a 2br / 3br. That way there is an actual useful way to utilize them.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect you could buy multiple contracts to get more options?

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
OK, I just talked with the broker, and he told me that I could use these points to book a 1-BR Oceanfront at the Westin Kaanapali directly. But my understanding is that, on resale, the points can only be used to book a Nanea unit, and I couldn't use them to book Kaanapali. Instead, I would have to book Nanea and trade for Kaanapali via an exchange. He said that I am wrong, and I could use these points to book Kaanapali directly. Am I wrong, or is he?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
He is wrong.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You may find a resale week for WKORV less expensive with less confusion. And get a new broker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I would just pass on this unit. It’s pretty useless. Try to find WKORV N with star options unit.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a 1BR Ocean Front at Nanea. I think all 1BR are resort view. They don't have lock-offs at Nanea, so you can't stay in one half of a 2BR. The OF units are either 2 or 3 BR.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
while Nanea is a wonderful resort, If you don't have 148000 homeoptions, there isn't any point to buying resale. the one bedrooms are hard to get because there are so few and, like stated above, no one bedrooms are oceanfront. there are too many things wrong with this purchase, that you should walk away immediately. As previously suggested, get a WKORV resale from Syed and enjoy your trips to Hawaii. You can even use Staroptions at 8 months to still stay at Nanea without all of the headaches of trying to figure out how to use too few points.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
It seems close to fraudulent for Vistana to have sold a package of 95700 OF Nanea HomeOptions to someone -- unless the buyer was informed in writing that he wouldn't be able to reserve anything useful with them.

That said, there is an opportunity -- IF you can find a second seller with an awkward number of OF Nanea HomeOptions with a July 1 renewal date (preferably 81000 OF Nanea HomeOptions). IF you can find this person, you may be able to assemble 176700 or 257700 Nanea HomeOptions inexpensively -- if the Nanea HomeOptions are OF and if they all renew July 1.

I think the effort required to do this is unnecessary in that much better Nanea packages will be available on the resale market very soon.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
while Nanea is a wonderful resort, If you don't have 148000 homeoptions, there isn't any point to buying resale. the one bedrooms are hard to get because there are so few and, like stated above, no one bedrooms are oceanfront. there are too many things wrong with this purchase, that you should walk away immediately. As previously suggested, get a WKORV resale from Syed and enjoy your trips to Hawaii. You can even use Staroptions at 8 months to still stay at Nanea without all of the headaches of trying to figure out how to use too few points.

The only reason I was looking at this was that they had accepted an $8k counteroffer, and I was originally told that it was an every other year oceanfront at Nanea. But given the problems with what I'm being told and reality, I am going to walk away.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I suspect you could buy multiple contracts to get more options?
The problem with that is that the maintenance fees on this contract are $1,100 a year. If I had more points, the annual fees would be higher, and then it would no longer make sense to own. I can usually rent a nice unit at a good resort in Maui for around $300 a night or less, or $2,100 for a week. And in that case, I'm not locked into Maui every other year, can use the "special preview rate" every two years or so, and can just rent on the open market otherwise. So, why pay more to own?

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
HOC -- I think there is a case to own and a case to rent. We own a 3 bedroom Oceanfront @ Nanea (resale) and our family loves it. We even booked a 10 night 2 bedroom stay, but had to cancel it due to this whole Covid issue. To us, even after the annual fee, it is totally worth it.. We aren't AirBNB people, and hotel rooms are just way too small. The Oceanfront units are spectacular and would impossible to get for $300/night.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
There is no such thing as a 1BR Ocean Front at Nanea. I think all 1BR are resort view. They don't have lock-offs at Nanea, so you can't stay in one half of a 2BR. The OF units are either 2 or 3 BR.
Yes this is absolutely correct from a 1 bedroom Nanea owner. That should have been the red flag for the OP. We bought from developer before Nanea opened and also because we were in the market for a studio as a way of extending our Maui stays. We liked the Westin’s studios vs the MVC studio layout and appliances (we own 2 weeks 2 bdrm OF at MOC- Napili). They weren’t offering studios at Nanea and we’re told no oceanfront 1 bedrooms either. So we got the 1 bdrm resort view. It’s been okay but getting reservations is difficult because there are only very few 1 bedrooms at Nanea (I do already have my 2021 reservation in only because I’ve learned how to work the Westin online system). If I had to do it over again for the 1 bedroom, I’d have purchased at KOR north (but they weren’t promoting those and I didn’t know about TUG and resales at that time). Much more availabilities and actually like their 1 bedroom layout better also. Plus you can get oceanfront options.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
It seems close to fraudulent for Vistana to have sold a package of 95700 OF Nanea HomeOptions to someone -- unless the buyer was informed in writing that he wouldn't be able to reserve anything useful with them.

That said, there is an opportunity -- IF you can find a second seller with an awkward number of OF Nanea HomeOptions with a July 1 renewal date (preferably 81000 OF Nanea HomeOptions). IF you can find this person, you may be able to assemble 176700 or 257700 Nanea HomeOptions inexpensively -- if the Nanea HomeOptions are OF and if they all renew July 1.

I think the effort required to do this is unnecessary in that much better Nanea packages will be available on the resale market very soon.
Aside from the developer price, there are benefits if you bought from Vistana directly. The downfall is you lose them all in resale.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Yes this is absolutely correct from a 1 bedroom Nanea owner. That should have been the red flag for the OP. We bought from developer before Nanea opened and also because we were in the market for a studio as a way of extending our Maui stays. We liked the Westin’s studios vs the MVC studio layout and appliances (we own 2 weeks 2 bdrm OF at MOC- Napili). They weren’t offering studios at Nanea and we’re told no oceanfront 1 bedrooms either. So we got the 1 bdrm resort view. It’s been okay but getting reservations is difficult because there are only very few 1 bedrooms at Nanea (I do already have my 2021 reservation in only because I’ve learned how to work the Westin online system). If I had to do it over again for the 1 bedroom, I’d have purchased at KOR north (but they weren’t promoting those and I didn’t know about TUG and resales at that time). Much more availabilities and actually like their 1 bedroom layout better also. Plus you can get oceanfront options.
I'm in a similar boat and bought direct. Found TUG 3 weeks later :(

I sorta figured that out when they were saying there were very few 1bd, but that was as much as we wanted to spend so we ended up with a 2bd every other year, when they said I could still book the 1bd at 12 months.