• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Many Americans ready to travel once lockdown lifted, polls show

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
That is the approach Sweden chose in response to Covid-19

Were the hospitals in Sweden "overloaded?"

Not sure. I guess the way I think is if the Sweden system is best, why did we go through 30 million unemployment, trillions in bailouts, uncalculated business failures, etc. In the first place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dh had the covid late March and is fine now. He is assuming he has some level of immunity. I’m going for the antibody test so I can see if I had it and was asymptomatic, because I am amazed I didn’t get it....! We both wear masks wherever we go now as a precaution. I was lucky enough to have a bottle of hand sanitizer before the shortage and I constantly refill my little bottle that’s in my purse.

We had two vacations cancelled due to the virus. One timeshare, one cruising. We wanted to head out as soon as restrictions started lifting, but decided to go somewhere that we would not be in close confines with others. So no flying yet.

We chose Hilton Head, as it was available with others cancelling, we drive there and we can be by ourselves on the beach. If I test negative and have no antibodies, we will do our own cooking to avoid extra exposure. If I test positive, we may do some outdoor dining if it’s available.

We believe that you can’t hide from life forever, and anyway, you never know when your time is up. We have lost two loved ones in their late 50s/early 60’s, and DH is a cancer survivor, so we will live our life and continue to travel in a safe way.

Everyone needs to do what works for them. If you aren’t comfortable traveling yet, you should stay home as you wouldn’t enjoy the trip anyway.

:)

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Montana is a gorgeous State. Try Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park. Check out Whitefish, flathead lake area. Montana also has tons of hot springs.

My summer home is literally 300 feet from the Montana border because I love the Alberta/Montana area so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, the sun road is on my bucket list.

geekette

Reaction score
...I have a question. If people are so concerned with flattening the curve and protecting others, then why are so many people eager to travel as soon as restrictions are lifted?
I'm not sure they are necessarily the same people. It may be that those concerned with flattening the curve are the ones not looking to do travel anytime soon, even if (like me) they would love to do so. Those that have decided that they are going to travel as soon as possible, may just be those that are less concerned with maintaining a downward trend on the curve for whatever reason, or perhaps they are more comfortable with taking this particular risk, or maybe not even perceive it as much of a risk.
I agree, these aren't the same people.

Those of us aiming for the far end of the curve are not necessarily the same ones planning to stay home for a year. I just want to have my corona case while caretakers are rested vs weary, and I don't want my hospital bed to be in the hallway. The more time it takes me to get sick, the more treatments and "best practices" established.

I would also question what is meant by "travel"? Is this going to my lake cottage a couple hundred miles away, or that dream trip to Paris, or, destination wedding? Travel means different things to different people. We are much more international travel type of crowd here, but if I queried people at work, very few of them would have a different country in mind. For those to whom "travel" means head for Disney, there could be some serious rethinking. I haven't been on CruiseCritic in years, but that is an entirely different contingent of people that may not want a different type of vacation, cruise or nothing.

My gut feel is that the true travel enthusiast is unlikely to put off taking trips. I would not be surprised to hear "we're all doomed anyway, I'm going to see (insert here) before I die, dammit!" and "We're staying put, it will be there later."

mixed bag. And, people may jump sides of that as time goes on. We continue to know more and more. Could very well depend on sentiment on the day one explores booking. Could be even more dependent on the state of one's wallet. In my case, I'm better off saving up for an ICU visit than whooping it up. If I don't end up in ICU, then I can book a great trip later. ymmv

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Coughs and sneezes always traveled. We have always been vulnerable to a sneeze or cough.

I really think we had this illness back in early March. I remember thinking it was a pretty severe cold, back pain where my lungs are, then it fizzled after about five days.

If you indeed had the virus I am glad it was so mild. Unfortunately it killed a good friend of ours. It is a serious business. At least 60,000 Americans have died IN 60 DAYS.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have several trips booked this year and we intend to go. I have started to plan for the next year and it is a bit frustrating. The plane tickets seem to be very expensive and the options are not great, less direct flights. I do not know if it is because many flights are cancelled but they will be put back on the schedule or because the airlines will have to make up for all the money they are losing this year

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we'll go to Branson in June, if my surgery has still not happened. It's a driving trip, no big deal. I likely won't go to any shows, but, we can be somewhere else, walk the parks, whatever. Change of scenery good enough for me! Might go to Arizona too, another driving trip. If I do get my surgery at last, then, it's possible I'll go to Branson to just sit and recover somewhere else too, who knows. And do my hourly exercises too for recovery. Not currently planning on flying, depends in the fall how this all shakes out. The news about Remdesivir at least provides a little hope for better treatment if they are able to prescribe early enough. International, was planning on Kenya in December, but, my friend there says it's not going good there so we'll see on that too. Oh, and if it's still summer and I am recovering and PT-ing well, may drive up to Colorado mountains too. We love the mountains in summer. Good hiking.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we'll go to Branson in June, if my surgery has still not happened. It's a driving trip, no big deal. I likely won't go to any shows, but, we can be somewhere else, walk the parks, whatever. Change of scenery good enough for me! Might go to Arizona too, another driving trip. If I do get my surgery at last, then, it's possible I'll go to Branson to just sit and recover somewhere else too, who knows. And do my hourly exercises too for recovery. Not currently planning on flying, depends in the fall how this all shakes out. The news about Remdesivir at least provides a little hope for better treatment if they are able to prescribe early enough. International, was planning on Kenya in December, but, my friend there says it's not going good there so we'll see on that too. Oh, and if it's still summer and I am recovering and PT-ing well, may drive up to Colorado mountains too. We love the mountains in summer. Good hiking.
I agree on Change Of Scenery being Good Enough.

Table Rock Lake is a good draw for me. Not a show-goer, it's the Ozarks that get me to Branson, I don't ever stay in town.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I am not anxious to travel until the "new normal" has a chance to settle in. Canceled second week of June in Pismo Beach -- we go all the time (have at least half a dozen reservations there over the next year, including a week this Sept) and I just can't get enthused about driving 3+ hours to get there. We are looking forward to Big Bear Lake at the end of June, and Carlsbad in October. Still trying to arrange September in Santa Fe after our May trip was cancelled. I actually have SF itself booked after Labor Day, but have been watching to see if we can push it a week or more later at the Worldmark resort. Once I nail the dates down I can book Sedona on the front end and Scottsdale on the back. August in Monterrey, meh, maybe yes, maybe no -- we were just there two years ago. My main issue is walking pain -- really hard to get enthused about getting organized to get somewhere when I know my walking ability is limited.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am ready to travel. The Travel new normal because of the coronavirus will be worst than the 911 new normal travel regulations. The 911 new normal primary effective flying travel regulations. But this coronavirus effective every day life movements. IMHO.